Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I just watched the new David Geffen biopic, "Inventing David Geffen" - OH MY

Well, I must say I have renewed respect for him - he actually comes off as affable and kind, if a bit socially awkward and goofy-looking. His heart was broken by Laura Nyro, who betrayed him, and then by CHER!!

by Anonymousreply 40November 14, 2021 1:09 AM

Also, the movie is worth watching if only for Sandy Gallin kvelling over his romance with her.

"You're in love with WHO!?"

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2021 12:53 PM

"Bearding David Geffen"

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2021 1:00 PM

He’s a poof

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2021 1:10 PM

Years ago, circa 1999, I worked in a tanning salon in WeHo that got in these new high powered beds that ran about $70,000 each. Geffen came in to try them out and I was a little nervous waiting on him because really rich, powerful people make me nervous. About a month later, I was chatting with the guy who came into service them and he told me that David ordered two and had them installed in his garage of the former Darryl Zanuck estate that he'd bought.

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2021 1:15 PM

Interesting film. Demonstrates the importance of being at the right place in the right time with the right idea. He wasn't brilliant at what he did. He just had the benefit of excellent timing and he took the initiative.

by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2021 1:15 PM

I have a soft spot for him because he's dyslexic, as am I, and managed to do very well in life. Just goes to show ya. Also, his mom sounded mean.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2021 1:29 PM

new? it was broadcast on 2012. the quote i remember from it was Cher saying David could scream louder than anyone else to get heard.

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2021 1:51 PM

It's new on Netflix, I think.

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2021 1:53 PM

Ask the town of Malibu how affable and kind he is, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2021 2:02 PM

And what about Joni Mitchell? The mention of him used to send her into a rage...

by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2021 3:14 PM

^In his defense, she is the kind of person who carries grudges, and he did say that he had invested her money for her and that he made her a "VERY rich woman."

by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2021 3:16 PM

I liked it - but it seemed like HE made this film about himself. They didn't really dive into anything where he may have been less than just a business guy.

It screamed like a big PR piece. I like him and he has done a lot for gay rights, but they left a lot out of the documentary, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2021 3:30 PM

he was in therapy daily for years.

by Anonymousreply 13November 12, 2021 3:16 AM

He is likely the reason Judee Sill was not a success, which led to her death.

by Anonymousreply 14November 12, 2021 3:20 AM

r14, um?

by Anonymousreply 15November 12, 2021 3:31 AM

R15, Sill was the very first artist signed to his brand new Asylum Records label in 1971. But the two of them had a disagreement over something and she referred to his ‘pink shoes’ during a live performance one night. He was closeted, found out about the remark, and basically pulled support for her album. She was under contract to do one more, which wasn’t really marketed at all upon its release. She faded into obscurity a couple years later, was rear-ended in her car by another driver, suffered debilitating back pain that required surgery, which was botched, and had a hard time getting legal painkillers. She turned to heroin and died of an overdose in 1979.

Now she’s a cult legend and her songs have been rediscovered and covered by many people.

by Anonymousreply 16November 12, 2021 3:40 AM

well so she mocked him.

by Anonymousreply 17November 12, 2021 3:50 AM

Was Steven Antin interviewed?

by Anonymousreply 18November 12, 2021 12:50 PM

Geffen is a controlling narcissist. There were reports of him bullying reporters who tried to write an unapproved exposé about him.

by Anonymousreply 19November 12, 2021 1:36 PM

Well look at the sabotage Geffen did to Donna Summer's career.

He can be very vindictive.

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2021 2:22 PM

“well so didn’t laugh at his joke”

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2021 2:24 PM

*she ^^

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2021 2:25 PM

Any intimation that he was romantically involved with Nyro is horseshit. She "broke his heart" only by not going with him to Asylum after initially saying she would. It was professional heartbreak only.

I remember Geffen quoted in a NY Times Magazine story from 15-20 years ago saying he felt that gay men are incapable of long-term relationships. Clearly he was projecting his own failures at relationships onto the rest of us. Serious self-hatred going on with him in spite of his so-called support of gay causes.

R19 is right. You don't get to where he is by being "affable and kind," as OP puts it. He's clearly not going to show his true colors in a TV bio.

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2021 2:39 PM

I loved it! If you're a fan of music, it's a must see documentary. Someone should make a money about his life, because it's one of the most fascinating Hollywood stories ever. I would cast Penn Badgley as Geffen.

Cher really was an opportunistic whore back then. She only got into a relationship with Geffen to further her career.

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2021 2:58 PM

He reportedly was the one behind the "Donna Summer hates gays" rumor that pretty much destroyed her career. She was on his record label and they didn't get along. He's a vindictive little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 25November 12, 2021 4:19 PM

He's a monster. Did the documentary mention that?

by Anonymousreply 26November 12, 2021 4:22 PM

R25, Donna did have a problem with gays because of her religious beliefs. She even harassed Paul Jabara, who was dying of AIDS at the time, over some royalty money. His friends had to step in and shut her down.

by Anonymousreply 27November 12, 2021 8:27 PM

Donna always denied she said anything.

by Anonymousreply 28November 12, 2021 9:13 PM

Judee Sill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 12, 2021 10:20 PM

So great, R29. 🥰

Not my favorite song of hers by a long shot, but it’s great that such a video from the BBC even survives at all.

by Anonymousreply 30November 13, 2021 12:18 AM

There's also...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 13, 2021 12:21 AM

Geffen dropped Kylie in the US around 1990, just when she started getting really good, so fuck that shithead

by Anonymousreply 32November 13, 2021 2:34 AM

He's clearly not going to show his true colors in a TV bio.

What are his true colors?

by Anonymousreply 33November 13, 2021 2:53 AM

Free Man...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 13, 2021 3:15 AM

This thread inspired me to watch it just now. Quite a guy, very talented, very successful. Endearing in his way. Not much else to say. I liked Jackson Browne's stories of Geffen walking out of negotiations and telling people to fuck off. I would have liked to hear actual recordings of him screaming and busting balls on the phone.

by Anonymousreply 35November 13, 2021 6:31 AM

Jackson Browne sold his soul to Geffen.

by Anonymousreply 36November 13, 2021 3:46 PM

r36, what about his pole?

by Anonymousreply 37November 13, 2021 3:50 PM

Is Geffen still hiding from COVID on his luxury yacht?

by Anonymousreply 38November 13, 2021 3:54 PM

Geffen is a horrible human being. I remember reading about him in the New York Observer back when that was a thing and being amazed at what a roach he was. Greed and fear are his only two "emotions".

by Anonymousreply 39November 13, 2021 4:26 PM

He's cute!

by Anonymousreply 40November 14, 2021 1:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!