Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Anniversary of the Discovery of Philip of Macedon’s Tomb

The discovery of the tomb of King Philip of Macedon, the King of Macedonia and father of Alexander the Great, in Vergina, represents one of the most important archaeological discoveries in the history of the world.

It was November 8, 1977 when archaeologist Dr. Manolis Andronikos, after almost 40 years of excavations in the area, found the priceless treasure — both literally and historically — in the village of Vergina in northern Greece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 9, 2021 6:53 AM

OP, you are no doubt the OP of the Acropolis statue thread.

by Anonymousreply 1November 9, 2021 4:47 AM

“We all expected to see in it the burnt bones of the dead. But what we saw opening it left us breathless, with teary eyes and filled with awe: indeed there were burnt bones in the urn,” Andronikos writes.

“The most unexpected sight was a golden wreath of leaves and acorns that was folded and placed on the bones. I never imagined such an inconceivable picture. I can bring to mind what I told myself: “If your suspicion that the tomb belongs to Philip is true — and the golden urn came to reinforce the truth of this suspicion — you kept in your hands the larnax with his bones.

“It is an unbelievable and terrifying thought that seems totally unreal. I think I have never experienced such excitement in my life, nor will I ever experience again,” the noted archaeologist recalled with emotion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 9, 2021 4:47 AM

How come he produced a blond-haired son?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 9, 2021 4:48 AM

Genetics are a surprise r3

by Anonymousreply 4November 9, 2021 4:52 AM

Hi, Greece troll.

by Anonymousreply 5November 9, 2021 4:53 AM

A magnificent discovery

by Anonymousreply 6November 9, 2021 5:19 AM

Another great discovery...

Sculpture of Ancient Greek Boxer Still Haunts Viewers Today

The beloved ancient Greek sculpture called “The Boxer at Rest,” from 330-50 BC, one of the most realistic of all ancient Greek sculptures, is one of the most touching and emotive works of art from that period, reminding us that the pain and difficulties of human life are universal and beyond the bounds of time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 9, 2021 6:18 AM

His son was a faggot.

by Anonymousreply 8November 9, 2021 6:20 AM

^^All the better. Alexander The Great was the greatest ever.

by Anonymousreply 9November 9, 2021 6:43 AM

Totally. cool. And that's my professional opinion.

by Anonymousreply 10November 9, 2021 6:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!