Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Angel Hair a Legitimate Pasta?

It gets quite clumpy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 9, 2021 5:46 PM

I hate the stuff

by Anonymousreply 1November 7, 2021 12:54 PM

Excellent question.

by Anonymousreply 2November 7, 2021 12:56 PM

Yes, you just have to accept that not every pasta shape works for every dish. Angel hair is great for aglio, olio, e peperoncini

by Anonymousreply 3November 7, 2021 12:56 PM

You’re cooking it too long or not draining it properly. It’s lightness is a real plus in many simple dishes.

by Anonymousreply 4November 7, 2021 1:00 PM

You have to added it straight to the sauce from the boiling water, so that the sauce envelope the pasta and prevents it from clumping

by Anonymousreply 5November 7, 2021 1:07 PM

To me it’s a very 1980s vessel to make vegetables more palatable ala pasta primavera.

by Anonymousreply 6November 7, 2021 1:11 PM

I'm curious OP, what makes something a "legitimate" pasta and what is the opposite of that?

by Anonymousreply 7November 7, 2021 1:13 PM

R5 here, meant to write "envelops" fucking damn autocorrect changed my word on me.

by Anonymousreply 8November 7, 2021 1:17 PM

I have an extreme worm phobia, and the only spaghetti I can stomach is angel hair. The larger ones look just like the worms my late cat Keke vomited up back in 1981.

by Anonymousreply 9November 7, 2021 1:23 PM

You have to drain, then rinse it.

by Anonymousreply 10November 7, 2021 1:25 PM

Well that’s very much the question, r8.

by Anonymousreply 11November 7, 2021 1:26 PM

Cool it directly in the sauce. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 12November 7, 2021 1:26 PM

Don’t drag me into this, cuntessa!

by Anonymousreply 13November 7, 2021 1:26 PM

Illegitimate pasta: cheese used as a sauce. The pasta then becomes noodles

by Anonymousreply 14November 7, 2021 1:50 PM

It's my favorite whether legit or bastard.

by Anonymousreply 15November 7, 2021 1:52 PM

Do they eat it in Italy?

by Anonymousreply 16November 7, 2021 2:02 PM

Well, that wouldn't be the pasta, R14, that would be the cheese. Cheese sauce turns pasta into noodles, much like ketchup turns anything it touches into garbage.

What about butter? If pasta is dressed solely with butter is it illegitimate? Does the butter turn the pasta into noodles? If parmesan and garlic are subsequently added does it turn back into pasta?

by Anonymousreply 17November 7, 2021 2:21 PM

Yes- the addition of a flavor other than fat can induce the re-transformation.

by Anonymousreply 18November 7, 2021 2:30 PM

I’m guessing the only way you can serve it without it looking vile is in tiny amounts or those nests.

I’ve seen pictures of large portions shaped like a big quenelle, but it looks like a horrifying burrito.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 7, 2021 2:38 PM

I think of it as the quick oats of pasta, it exists as a sometimes needed quick cooking pasta, but it’s never going to be an ideal.

by Anonymousreply 20November 7, 2021 2:49 PM

I love angel hair. It and cavatappi are my favorite types of macaroni. I like egg pasta better, in general, but I no longer have the space or the energy to roll my own.

by Anonymousreply 21November 7, 2021 3:06 PM

Capelli d'angelo is best when added directly to soups, if you boil it to have with a sauce, make sure you add olive oil to the water and only pair it with a light sauce.

The only time I've ever had it is back when I was broke and a box of Angel Hair Pasta Roni was all I could afford.

by Anonymousreply 22November 7, 2021 3:15 PM

It can't take heavy sauce or a lot of other stuff. It's great when it's simple (i.e. small shrimp, olive oil, a little pasta water, herbs).

by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2021 4:14 PM

R4 has chosen violence.

Angel hair is best when you want pasta but not a heavy dish. You need to keep the sauce light and the number of ingredients limited. It's my favorite pasta to pair with seafood--I"ll usually do clams, mussels, and shrimp steamed and then lightly tossed in fried garlic with olive oil with salt, pepper, and red pepper, and then add a little more fresh olive oil once you toss it with the pasta. I also like it because I prefer pasta al dente and it's one you can get away with very little cooking time.

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2021 4:22 PM

Years of living in Italy and never saw it on any menu, never was served it at a dinner.

Italians like their pasta to have a "bite".

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2021 4:24 PM

Interesting, r25.

As the yutes say - sus!

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2021 4:28 PM

It's my favorite for most things.

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2021 4:34 PM

In fact, looking at the DeCecco website, it says the following for "Capellini" (Angel Hair pasta).

"Persino il nome dei Capellini richiama la caratteristica sottigliezza di questo formato consigliato nella dieta dei bambini dai 9 mesi in su, in modo da abituare i più piccoli ai cibi dei grandi."

"Even the name "Capellini" recalls the characteristic subtlety of this type of pasta, recommended in the diet of children aged 9 months and over, in order to accustom the little ones to the foods of grown-ups. "

In Italy it is more for small children or the sick.

by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2021 4:38 PM

We need to ask Stanley Tucci?

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2021 4:39 PM

I HAVE seen it used to make sweets. One of Napoli's easter cakes "Pastiera di Pasta".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2021 4:42 PM

No, it’s illegitimate. Angel Hair’s parents Flour & Egg never married.

by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2021 4:44 PM

Why would it clump if you're making it properly? I prefer it because I make simple pasta dishes usually with just EVVO as the dressing.

It also cooks faster if you need to save a few minutes. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 32November 7, 2021 4:50 PM

Why the LOL R32? Just a bizarre place to put an LOL after such a statement.

by Anonymousreply 33November 7, 2021 5:22 PM

R33, because saving a few minutes - 6 minutes to cook vs 9 minutes to cook - is funny to me. It doesn't really save anything in the long run.

Would you like me to explain it further? LOL!

by Anonymousreply 34November 7, 2021 5:25 PM

When I ate pasta, I’d toss it with my homemade basil pesto and add quartered grape tomatoes. Or just some olive oil, garlic and salt.

by Anonymousreply 35November 7, 2021 5:51 PM

^^ Oh. Just like OP’s recipe.

by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2021 5:51 PM

R33 LOL can also mean "I'm a woman."

by Anonymousreply 37November 7, 2021 6:20 PM

Me too, R35. Tomatoes and olive oil. Try adding tangerine bits. That started out as smoked salmon bits, tangerine/orange bits and diced onion. As my budget shrank during the pandemic I found it works fine with just onion and orange.

by Anonymousreply 38November 7, 2021 6:44 PM

No, OP, it is illegitimate. This is why it is banned in so many countries.

by Anonymousreply 39November 7, 2021 6:51 PM

I love angel’s hair.

by Anonymousreply 40November 7, 2021 7:04 PM

[R19], just try to put that shit on a fork. It won't happen. These recipe pics exalting something are either CGI or the result of some OCD queen spending 14 hours to get it just right and then shrieking, NOW NOW NOW NOW! to some bewildered photographer.

by Anonymousreply 41November 7, 2021 7:26 PM

My mom used it in soups. She’d break it into small pieces and brown it in oil before tossing it in the broth. We never had it in pasta dishes.

by Anonymousreply 42November 7, 2021 8:31 PM

R41, seriously what is your problem. I don't mean to make fun if you have some disability. But are you confessing to not being able to use a fork?

by Anonymousreply 43November 7, 2021 8:37 PM

[quote] Is Angel Hair a Legitimate Pasta?

She was on the ballot for California's governor, so she must be somewhat legit.

by Anonymousreply 44November 7, 2021 11:15 PM

Was Pia Zadora a legitimate actress?

by Anonymousreply 45November 7, 2021 11:20 PM

What?

by Anonymousreply 46November 7, 2021 11:32 PM

When my customers demand angel hair pasta I serve it. Made the old-fashioned way.

With fiberglass.

by Anonymousreply 47November 7, 2021 11:56 PM

I love Angel Hair pasta!

You have to cook it in a big pot OP and instantly drizzle a bit of olive oil over it. Then add whatever sauce you're serving with it. Light sauces like herbs, garlic and olive oil work fine for this pasta. Also nice with just some parmesan cheese and truffle or fresh cooked veggies.

by Anonymousreply 48November 7, 2021 11:57 PM

I've always liked it with pesto sauce.

by Anonymousreply 49November 8, 2021 12:38 AM

I make a sauce by toasting garlic slices in EVOO until they are brown, but not burned. Add a can of diced tomatoes, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (fresh grated). When the Angel hair is done (Al dente) I take a tongs and put the pasta in the sauce. Cook for about 1 minute, add fresh basil and serve immediately.

by Anonymousreply 50November 8, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote]Capelli d'angelo is best when added directly to soups

What this poster said.

by Anonymousreply 51November 8, 2021 1:24 AM

I don’t care for it. I like something hearty like bucatini.

by Anonymousreply 52November 8, 2021 1:39 AM

[quote]ketchup turns anything it touches into garbage.

I don’t like ketchup or angel hair pasta.

by Anonymousreply 53November 9, 2021 5:34 PM

[quote]It's my favorite pasta to pair with seafood--I"ll usually do clams, mussels, and shrimp steamed and then lightly tossed in fried garlic with olive oil with salt, pepper, and red pepper, and then add a little more fresh olive oil once you toss it with the pasta. I also like it because I prefer pasta al dente and it's one you can get away with very little cooking time.

I’d be willing to try this.

by Anonymousreply 54November 9, 2021 5:35 PM

The Raman of Italy!

by Anonymousreply 55November 9, 2021 5:39 PM

That photo looks like ramen to me.

by Anonymousreply 56November 9, 2021 5:39 PM

"There are no illegitimate children; there are only illegitimate parents!" -- Greer Garson, [italic]Blossoms in the Dust[/italic]

Similarly, there are no illegitimate pastas; there are only illegitimate semolina flours.

by Anonymousreply 57November 9, 2021 5:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!