Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ginger Rogers on Dick Cavett, talking about Mame.

For all you eldergays that missed it. Honestly, she kind of rubs me the wrong way in the interview. And I did not appreciate how she seemed to act with Leonard Frey who absoolutely stole that interview from under her. He seemed like such a sweet guy, and so much more handsome than they let on in BITB.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 6, 2021 10:27 PM

OP, you should write a letter to the station in protest!

by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2021 7:43 PM

Ginger was a right wing cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2021 7:57 PM

Did Ginge ever comment on LucyMAME? (Which was still several years after the time of this interview.)

by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2021 7:57 PM

The conversation at the end with Stanley Kauffman was great too.

My god how the level of talk shows has fallen. It's deppresing.

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2021 8:22 PM

I saw Ginger in Palm Springs once, circa 1992, when she was in a wheelchair pushed by an assistant or nurse. I was tempted to go up and ask if I could take her for a spin around the mall's food court.

by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2021 9:38 PM

Frey had great hair and a good sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2021 10:13 PM

Leonard Frey was born before his time. He would've been a huge star today.

by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2021 11:12 PM

R7, he certainly had the talent and charisma, However there will always be talented and charismatic actors who never got their due break, now and then, so who knows.

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2021 11:18 PM

Ginger always demanded that she get equal respect for the astaire/rogers musicals because she had to dance with Fred, and backwards and in heels as was said. But since Fred was the choreographer i think she wanted more respect than she deserved. she was a competent dancer but others that Fred partnered with later were better.

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2021 11:21 PM

[quote] But since Fred was the choreographer

Fuck you, R9. Backwards and in heels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 6, 2021 12:53 AM

Who was that old hissing eldergay at the end, whining about the dregs of various movies?

He sounds like a caftan flapper from the DL circa today.

by Anonymousreply 11November 6, 2021 12:57 AM

From Wikipedia: Astaire called Pan his "idea man," and while he generally choreographed his own routines, he greatly valued the assistance of Pan not just as a critic, but also as a rehearsal partner for the purposes of fine-tuning a routine.

by Anonymousreply 12November 6, 2021 12:58 AM

R11 That was Stanley Kauffman, a huge film/theater critic back in the day. And I highly doubt he was an eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 13November 6, 2021 1:04 AM

Fred could never do this or the extreme close-up

by Anonymousreply 14November 6, 2021 1:05 AM

I always thought Cavett was quite a "hunk." I doubt his type of show would last in today's viewing environment. I faithfully watched Cavett, and David Susskind. Those were the days of enjoyable viewing.

by Anonymousreply 15November 6, 2021 1:11 AM

Dick had a charm. At least enough to get Janis Joplin in bed a few times. Sad they never became a couple, the 2 together would have been a hoot.

by Anonymousreply 16November 6, 2021 1:15 AM

Kauffmann was straight. He actually wrote a semi-notorious essay about gay playwrights for the "New York Times" in 1966, "Homosexual Drama and Its Disguises".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 6, 2021 1:16 AM

For some context, Rogers' career was at low ebb when David Merrick was able to hire her on the cheap to be Channing's first replacement on Broadway when Channing took Hello, Dolly! out on the second national tour two years into the show's Broadway run. Later, Rogers became the first musical Mame in London when she starred in that country's first production of that musical.

The stories of her cheapness and bad treatment of her costars and crew in both productions were widespread but it's 1:00 am and I'm too lazy to google them.

And as someone mentioned above, she was an extreme right wing cunt as was her overbearing stage mother.

by Anonymousreply 18November 6, 2021 5:03 AM

^ And just trivia I guess but there were rumors that Ginger recorded an original cast recording of that London production of Mame but it was never released and the tapes seem to have disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 19November 6, 2021 5:39 AM

Sorry about missing link. Ginger singing We're in the Money in Pig Latin with an extreme close-up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 6, 2021 10:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!