Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nick Stahl gets candid about drug and alcohol addiction: 'It's a horribly cliche child-actor story'

Nick Stahl is "grateful" to be alive. The Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines star is opening up to The Hollywood Reporter about his severe substance abuse problem that sidelined him from Hollywood for years.

"It's a horribly cliche child-actor story, but I had a very unusual relationship to drugs and alcohol. I never had a brake pedal with it," he explains.

Stahl got his big break at age 11, starring in Mel Gibson's The Man Without a Face. He worked steadily after and was an "it" boy of the early aughts. Although he was never fired from a job, the actor was privately struggling with drug and alcohol addiction.

"I was pretty much hung over for every single day of work that I ever did — as a kid, in my early 20s, through all the films, through [the 2001 Oscar-nominated film] In the Bedroom, through Terminator, through Carnivàle, through all of it," Stahl says. "I didn't really discriminate — I'd use anything to change the way I felt when I was sober."

Stahl had his first drink at age 13. He moved to L.A. three years later and was quickly introduced to weed. Then came pills, cocaine and methamphetamine.

"That became what I chased," he adds. While his friends were partying to have fun, Stahl says for him, it wasn't a "'I want this,' but 'I need this.'" He held it together promoting Terminator in 2003, but "things started to get awful pretty quickly" after.

"I started to miss appointments. I put on a good front. The extent of my illness stayed hidden even from me," he explains. "It's common to justify, rationalize things. I looked around and said, 'Oh, everybody's in this scene. Everyone is drinking like this. Everyone is partying the way I am.' In retrospect, there were far less people going as hard as I did."

Stahl's first rehab stint came in 2007 at age 27. A second failed rehab attempt came in 2009 and he moved to Texas. However, he felt a pull back to Hollywood. He continued to find work, but his troubles eventually spilled into the media in 2012 and 2013. He was arrested for possession of meth and lewd conduct.

"Things got really bad for me," he says. "People you see on park benches — that doesn't happen overnight. They go through that one day at a time, so by the time you get there, that day looks a whole lot like the day before."

Stahl was reported missing by his former wife in 2012 and reports claimed he was homeless and living on L.A.'s Skid Row.

"That wasn't the case, thankfully," he tells THR. "Skid Row is an open drug market. Back then, if you don't know anybody and you're looking for drugs, that's where you go."

While Stahl says he was never homeless, he spent "time on the street voluntarily" as he didn't want to reside in a sober living house anymore. He remembers being shocked by the media frenzy over his supposed disappearance. Stahl left Hollywood again.

"I didn't have all that much money," he shares. "I was never rich. I made quite a bit in my early 20s, but I bought a house. Money goes fast. By the time I actually stepped away from acting, it wasn't like I had a bunch of money and lost it."

So, Stahl started doing regular jobs, like working for a friend's moving company.

"I tried other things. I worked at a coffee shop in New York for a little bit," he recalls, admitting he was occasionally recognized.

"That was weird at first,” he says, "but ultimately it was very beneficial for me. I mean, I did what I had to do, but it was surprisingly empowering for me and it was necessary... Not only did I learn how to live as a sober person, which I didn't know how to do, but I learned how to have a life outside the business."

Stahl, now 41, is four years clean. He has found again a "passion" for "film and acting." In 2021, he appeared in five episodes of AMC's Fear the Walking Dead. He recently wrapped several indie features.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 1, 2024 6:36 PM

"Once I was separated from Hollywood, all of that started to come back, an 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' kind of thing. Over the past few years, whether I'm working on a film or auditioning, I don't take it for granted, ever," Stahl says. "I work much harder at it now. I just feel a renewed love for it."

Stahl's renewed love for acting is accompanied by a realization that addicts and alcoholics don't have a choice.

"I've had friends die," he says. "It's hard to identify why one person might make it and one might not. But I'm grateful for it, and it’s given me the opportunity to try to help people in the same situation I was [in]. That's something I take very seriously now. It's more important to me than making films. I search out people who have had similar struggles and show them how I got well. I speak from my experience and show them what worked for me."

by Anonymousreply 1November 5, 2021 12:09 AM

I love Nick Stahl.

I've liked every movie and television show he's been in.

by Anonymousreply 2November 5, 2021 12:10 AM

Excellent bias to have. Stahl seems so lovely, one of those rare men who only hurts himself rather than others. He’s probably one of the only truly decent and likeable B-listers in the game.

Fell in love with him watching his performance in HBO’s cult sleeper hit CARNIVÀLE. It was those soulful, sad, beautiful eyes that did it.

Glad and relieved he’s doing well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 5, 2021 1:30 PM

I love him too.

by Anonymousreply 4November 5, 2021 1:56 PM

Good for him! Seriously no snark, he seems to have a firm grasp on why he was an addict, no blame game. I would love to see him in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 5November 5, 2021 2:28 PM

Love love love him. Wish to see more of his dong one day!!!

by Anonymousreply 6November 5, 2021 2:34 PM

Nick Stahl and Brad Renfro in BULLY were hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 5, 2021 2:39 PM

Good for him, he sounds mentally healthy. I’m a fan, loved Carnivale.

by Anonymousreply 8November 5, 2021 3:00 PM

I had a big crush on him. Glad he's OK now.

by Anonymousreply 9November 5, 2021 3:08 PM

I'll echo everyone else to say that I've always really liked him and I'm glad he survived. Hard to believe he's 40 years old now. Time flies.

by Anonymousreply 10November 5, 2021 3:23 PM

The Man Without A Face was a really good movie and Nick was great.

It was weird if you read the book first and you were waiting for the man to fuck the boy and then it never happened.....instead it was all about "he must have done it....." by a bunch of hysterical Karens......

by Anonymousreply 11November 5, 2021 3:40 PM

I loved Nick in Terminator 3. He played his character so well.

Then he re-appeared in Fear The Walking Dead last season, and he was fantastic.

I'm happy that he's experiencing a career resurgence.

by Anonymousreply 12November 5, 2021 6:54 PM

always wanted to be tenderly hugged then fucked by his carnivàle character like clea duvall got to

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 5, 2021 9:02 PM

I'm wondering if it was Mel Gibson who gave him that first drink of alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 14November 5, 2021 10:32 PM

This is the opposite of the River Phoenix thread.

by Anonymousreply 15November 5, 2021 11:19 PM

[quote] This is the opposite of the River Phoenix thread.

Because Nick is still alive.

He survived.

by Anonymousreply 16November 5, 2021 11:58 PM

R16 and also we all unanimously like Nick, and respect his honesty and fortitude in emerging out of his addiction spiral.

In fact, I think Nick might be the only famous actor about whom DL doesn’t really have a bad word to say. At least, I’ve never read a cruel or disparaging comment about him on any discussion here, and I can’t say the same about any other celebrity performers.

by Anonymousreply 17November 6, 2021 12:20 AM

Just checked his imdb page

It is great he is still getting roles - though these are indie films, but work is work!

by Anonymousreply 18November 6, 2021 12:21 AM

[quote] loved Nick in Terminator 3. He played his character so well.

It truly was a well-rounded and sensitive take on John Connor, probably the best one there’s been.

Strangely, at the time T3 came out he caught so much flack from the manchild fanboys about his version of John—how he was ‘a pussy’, ‘whiny’, ‘boring’, ‘too introverted’, and nothing like the quippy punk biker character who they felt entitled to see. I remember thinking how boneheaded all this criticism was. Wouldn’t any young man burdened with the knowledge of a tech-apocalypse and raised by a mother deranged by the same grow into a shaky mumbly paranoid-avoidant, rather than a confident badass anti-hero? To me, Stahl made the character seem realistic and three-dimensional for once.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 6, 2021 12:38 AM

I think he's a great actor, and it's big of him to own up to what derailed him. As he said, it's hard to comprehend why some of his colleagues died and he survived. I wish the best for him; I've always been a fan.

by Anonymousreply 20November 6, 2021 11:27 AM

R-6 not just that he survived, it is his whole mindset around what got him where he was - that takes so much strength, bravery, honesty and surrender. River was no where close to being at that place and was surrounded by enablers in denial.

by Anonymousreply 21November 6, 2021 12:50 PM

[quote]"Skid Row is an open drug market. Back then, if you don't know anybody and you're looking for drugs, that's where you go."

Is that really a thing? I never knew that.

by Anonymousreply 22November 6, 2021 1:03 PM

[quote] It is great he is still getting roles - though these are indie films, but work is work!

But that's how Natasha Lyonne got her career back on track, taking any role she could get in any small project, and now she's getting hired all over the place. I was really impressed by Natasha owning her shit, being sincere about wanting to work again and getting serious about it. Looks like Nick is headed in the same direction.

by Anonymousreply 23November 6, 2021 1:08 PM

Natasha Lyonne was in a much worse way than Nick Stahl, I don't think he needed open heart surgery nor did he terrorize his neighbors to the point of getting evicted. While I also laud Stahl's candor and humble words, I imagine that his ex/estranged wife and young child have a much different view of his trajectory. At least Lyonne didn't procreate.

by Anonymousreply 24November 6, 2021 1:13 PM

I wasn't comparing their awful deeds, I was discussing their respective attempts at reclaiming their careers and reputations, so I don't understand the point of your response.

by Anonymousreply 25November 6, 2021 1:20 PM

Natasha & Nick are friends, aren’t they? They know each other through Clea, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 26November 6, 2021 1:25 PM

Iirc there was a poster here some fifteen years back who said he got lightly cruised by Nick (flirty eye contact and smiling and checking out in passing). Think they said it it happened on Sunset Blvd. somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 27November 6, 2021 2:23 PM

Bi king! 💜

by Anonymousreply 28November 6, 2021 3:16 PM

He was so hot in Bully. Larry Clark was probably so happy to get to sexually objectify Nick, Brad Renfro and Michael Pitt in that movie. I went to a Larry Clark exhibit, I have never seen a bigger chickenhawk with such pride before.

by Anonymousreply 29November 6, 2021 3:20 PM

River claimed to be clean living and vegan and all that; fans were shocked to find after his sudden death that he was a hard core druggie. Stahl never claimed that.

I’d completely forgotten about Bully. What a disturbing movie.

by Anonymousreply 30November 6, 2021 3:34 PM

R39 Nick has also never claimed to be completely straight, which I like about him. He’s never explicitly said he’s gay or bi, either, mind, but the implication of quiet comfortable bisexuality is def there. Respect.

by Anonymousreply 31November 6, 2021 3:39 PM

River was also lucky to live before social media. Celebrities then still had privacy. River was known as an introvert who did avoid a lot of the Hollywood party scene. He got into drugs because he was introduced to them as a teen actor and like most teens, probably was curious or pressured. His parents were hands-off, so he was unsupervised a lot of the time. Fans like to exaggerate his maturity level but he was still a young kid who was forced to grow up too early and lacked a lot of social skills.

Brad Renfro came from a white trailer trash family. A nice guy but his absent father and junkie mother who introduced him to drugs as a baby and then ditched him to be raised by his grandma caused him a lot of damage. He was a liability on set because of his drug addiction and I'm sure that caused his depression to worsen. Sad, he seemed to be getting better around the time of Informers, he lost some weight and his looks were coming back but he then relapsed and died.

by Anonymousreply 32November 6, 2021 3:40 PM

There's something about Stahl that I find weirdly attractive, but, at the same time totally unattractive, similar to one of those optical illusions in which you see alternating forms, depending on how you focus your eyes.

by Anonymousreply 33November 6, 2021 4:51 PM

I hope that he wasn’t abused by Hollywood perverted executive types like Brad Renfro was…and I hope he can remain sober.

by Anonymousreply 34November 6, 2021 5:05 PM

[quote] Iirc there was a poster here some fifteen years back who said he got lightly cruised by Nick

Damn, that's hot.

Although I wonder if he was just a druggie being a druggie (meaning he would do anything to score some drugs), if he is truly and openly bisexual, then I say ... YAY!

by Anonymousreply 35November 6, 2021 5:24 PM

I think he is the only person who never was shit on by Datalounge. I remember reading thread about him couple of years ago and just waiting for pointless bitchery. Didn't happen.

I am glad he is clean and getting work.

by Anonymousreply 36November 6, 2021 5:46 PM

R36 we only pick on those who thoroughly deserve it. Sweet decent formerly-lost-now-found Nick simply doesn’t deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 37November 6, 2021 9:22 PM

"I'd use anything to change the way I felt when I was sober."

So... what has changed?

by Anonymousreply 38November 6, 2021 9:47 PM

It would be a good book, R38.

Nick should write it. He might be able to help a lot of addicts who aren't into NA/AA.

by Anonymousreply 39November 6, 2021 10:00 PM

R34 Stahl is chillingly convincing playing an abused young addict hustler with a past history of sexual abuse in TWIST.

If he’s not been abused himself irl (and I pray not), then he certainly has a deep, sensitive and informed understanding of those who have been.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 7, 2021 6:15 PM

I’m glad he’s doing good now. I really enjoy him as an actor he has real talent. He was amazing in Carnival.

by Anonymousreply 41November 7, 2021 6:43 PM

Skid Row isn't so bad, if you don't mind the singing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 7, 2021 7:02 PM

Most actors seem like pricks but he seems genuinely sweet and likable. He’s not even my type but I’m into him.

by Anonymousreply 43November 7, 2021 7:05 PM

America has always loved a good comeback story. Good for him! Another fan of Bully here!

by Anonymousreply 44November 7, 2021 7:25 PM

I'm really rooting for Nick Stahl. An excellent actor. I appreciate that he doesn't make excuses for himself.

I really hope he gets a plum role and an Oscar. It's a shame that his promising career was derailed but it's nice to see it getting back on track.

by Anonymousreply 45November 7, 2021 7:35 PM

R45 Gods, I’d live to see him mumble and fumble his way endearingly through an Oscar acceptance.

He really does deserve a statue.

by Anonymousreply 46November 7, 2021 8:45 PM

Nick and Brad Renfro defended Daniel Franzese from that homophobic no talent bitch Bijou Philips who was taunting Daniel for being a fem gay guy. Brad mocked Bijou for her lack of talent and nepotism. Nick was dating Bijou at the time and told her to apologize to Daniel. Larry Clark said the only reason Bijou was in "Bully" was because she had connections and he needed the funding.

by Anonymousreply 47November 10, 2021 9:13 PM

Here's the article it made me respect Brad and Nick more. They were allies. The early 2000s was still casually homophobic as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 10, 2021 9:15 PM

Nick, if you’re reading this - “cliched”, not “cliche”.

by Anonymousreply 49November 10, 2021 10:09 PM

I saw Nick Stahl once in NYC walking eighth avenue with another guy. This must have been before his recovery, because they definitely seemed like two tweekers. Almost seemed like a couple too. From what I remember it was a black guy. I had a crush on him from Carnival. And seeing him with the black guy, even though strung out, made me think, damn, I could have a chance, ha! What surprised me is that he was more wandering than walking anywhere. The type of walking that people do when they have no place to go, up and down with this dude. This must have been around the time he was living on the streets by choice. And if he cleaned up his act in NYC, this must have been there right before that.

by Anonymousreply 50November 10, 2021 10:38 PM

Did anyone every get to the bottom of exactly what lewd acts he was committing in the adult video store? Is that always just masturbating, pee wee Herman style or was there more to it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 21, 2021 7:35 AM

R51 he was probably just crying loudly and upsetting the other punters. He’s a sensitive sort, Nick.

by Anonymousreply 52November 21, 2021 12:00 PM

That scene in Bully where he is naked and having a talk with his dad is so weird and creepy. But also kind of hot because he’s naked.

by Anonymousreply 53November 21, 2021 1:04 PM

I’d eat his ass.

by Anonymousreply 54November 21, 2021 1:50 PM

Enrapturing eyes. Like bright jewels glimmering at the bottom of a clear pool.

He was so pretty in his early mid-twenties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 21, 2021 2:07 PM

He wasn't shy about showing his lovely arse, pubes and dick when he was young too

by Anonymousreply 56November 21, 2021 3:13 PM

Nick totally reminds me of rough street trade.

And I like it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 21, 2021 4:58 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 21, 2021 5:01 PM

He recovered a lot better than Ed Furlong who looks even worse.

by Anonymousreply 59November 21, 2021 7:50 PM

R59 maybe this is incorrect information, but; as a youngster wasn’t Furlong abused/neglected at home and then later groomed on set? Not making excuses for his scumbag behaviour later on, rather just saying that as far as anyone can tell he seems to have suffered more and sooner than Stahl in terms of the evils of the business.

Stahl didn’t break in to the industry until his preteen/early teen years, and before that had only done community theater for wayward kids in Cameron County, RGV. He wasn’t given a lot of fame all at once like Furlong, either; barely anyone knew or cared who he was until later on, after he shot BULLY and DISTURBING BEHAVIOUR in his mid-late teens.

Then again, who knows what really happened when Nick worked as a 14-year old boy on TALL TALE (for Disney) and MAN WITHOUT A FACE (with Mel Gibson)—I pray nothing, but...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 21, 2021 9:25 PM

[quote]He wasn't shy about showing his lovely arse, pubes and dick when he was young too

When did he show dick?

by Anonymousreply 61November 21, 2021 10:05 PM

[QUOTE] Enrapturing eyes. Like bright jewels glimmering at the bottom of a clear pool.

MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 62November 21, 2021 10:08 PM

Echo all positive. His character in Bully was so multi dimensional even though he was an asshole to his friend Renfro.

When I saw this thread I never would have guessed that Nick Stahl ( not familiar w name) was in Bully. Exceptional actor.

When questioning why some people find their way and some don’t : Scene in Ordinary People: - What was the one thing you did wrong ? as Tim Hutton is flipping out - You know what it was? - I stayed with the boat . I hung on, and he didn’t , Tim looks at Judd ( I’m getting this wrong ) and says : WHY? Judd: MAYBE YOU WERE STRONGER

by Anonymousreply 63November 21, 2021 10:27 PM

He’s one of the few actors who really seems to draw from within himself. When you see him acting you feel like you see a piece of his soul. Usually I don’t give a shit what happens to celebrities but I’m glad he’s doing well.

by Anonymousreply 64November 21, 2021 11:41 PM

Years ago (maybe ten or twelve?), I remember reading a poster here who worked in film recounting a time that he had met Stahl & his agent on a red carpet for an industry event. The poster reported that Stahl (at the time of the story aged in his late 20s) was slight of build and smaller than he seemed on film, but with the most breathtakingly lovely smooth skin and big hypnotic eyes like a starlet. The poster also said that he seemed very shy and skittish and a bit weirdly antisocial considering the occasion (maybe he was going through withdrawals), but somehow friendly and sweet when spoken to in spite of it. Guess it makes sense why they put him on screen from young with those attributes.

by Anonymousreply 65November 21, 2021 11:49 PM

R50 acting like seeing Nick with a black man means that he has low enough standards to get with r50. Fuck out of here with your racist bullshit. This was a nice thread till you added your toxic racial takes.

by Anonymousreply 66November 22, 2021 12:14 AM

R66 Not r50 but I’d assume he meant he’s also black and if Nick was in fact dating that guy, then maybe he’d have a shot at dating an actor he had a crush on.

by Anonymousreply 67November 22, 2021 1:07 AM

I don't think Nick was passed around like Brad Renfro, Jonathan Brandis, Mac Culkin, Eddie Furlong or Wil Wheaton were. Nick was never conventionally attractive, he chosen on his talent doing theatre for years and he entered the acting by choice in his teen years. The others were forced into acting at a much younger age, had dysfunctional homes and were chosen on their looks by execs. I think Nick is bisexual and sucked a lot of dick to get drugs. He's talented enough that the casting couch should not have been a resort.

by Anonymousreply 68November 22, 2021 7:20 AM

^^^he could have turned tricks to support his addiction. Which would possibly be with men.

by Anonymousreply 69November 22, 2021 2:13 PM

[quote] I search out people who have had similar struggles and show them how I got well. I speak from my experience and show them what worked for me."

So how did he get off meth? What worked with him?

by Anonymousreply 70November 22, 2021 4:20 PM

Will Wheaton passed around? News to me.

by Anonymousreply 71November 22, 2021 5:27 PM

Thank you r67 for clearing up it all up for r66. That is exactly what I meant, seeing that I am indeed black myself. I don't see how someone could miss that and jump straight to rage. Some people just want any reason to be mad.

by Anonymousreply 72November 22, 2021 6:27 PM

Wheaton mentioned his parents were abusive and forced him to enter acting. I don't think they had any good intentions. There was also rumor the kids in the Stand By Me cast were abusing hard drugs.

by Anonymousreply 73November 22, 2021 7:22 PM

Wheaton has said he's estranged from his parents. His acting career was their decision, not his, and that he basically was his character in Stand by Me: the emotionally abused unfavorite child.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 22, 2021 8:29 PM

Yet he still stuck to this acting career that was forced on him to this day and hasn’t rebuked it and become a waiter or something.

by Anonymousreply 75November 22, 2021 8:38 PM

He never said he hated acting. He said he was forced into it by his parents before he was too young to understand. He chose to continue acting as an adult because from then on it became a choice and he was so used to doing it. It would make little sense to change careers. Acting is a trade itself and he's skilled enough to continue.

by Anonymousreply 76November 22, 2021 8:42 PM

^ I meant before he was old enough to understand.

by Anonymousreply 77November 22, 2021 8:44 PM

I think the saddest part about Brad Renfro was he was actually trying to get sober and return to acting. He was actually getting back into Hollywood with his role in The Informers and was lined up for some projects. The industry seemed willing to give him another. He got his looks back and losing weight. Only to OD a few months later. The video of him giving acting advice while overweight was a year before he died.

It's eerie that his MySpace is still up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 22, 2021 9:09 PM

R78 Corey Haim’s story is more or less the same. Both sad losses.

by Anonymousreply 79November 22, 2021 9:25 PM

Will Wheaton has basically invented his own career as a professional nerd. Good for him, I say. And good luck to Nick Stahl.

by Anonymousreply 80November 22, 2021 9:57 PM

Aww so sweet that datalounge loves him so much.

by Anonymousreply 81November 23, 2021 2:13 AM

[quote] maybe this is incorrect information, but; as a youngster wasn’t Furlong abused/neglected at home and then later groomed on set? Not making excuses for his scumbag behaviour later on, rather just saying that as far as anyone can tell he seems to have suffered more and sooner than Stahl in terms of the evils of the business.

From Wikipedia:

"His mother's sister, Nancy Tafoya, and their half-brother, Sean Furlong, obtained custody of him for several years, including 1990–91, when he began his acting career. Initially, the two served as Furlong's managers

"Starting in 1992, 15-year-old Furlong and his former stand-in and tutor, 28-year-old Jacqueline Domac, began a relationship that lasted for a few years. When California's statutory rape law changed in 1994 to allow the prosecution of adult women who have sex with minors, his uncle Sean Furlong filed a complaint against Domac, but was unsuccessful in having Domac prosecuted.[4] In May 1999, Domac sued Furlong for domestic violence.[17]

"Furlong married Rachael Bella on April 19, 2006. The couple's son was born in September 2006.[12] On July 8, 2009, Bella filed for divorce citing irreconcilable differences.[18] Bella alleged in court documents that their baby son tested positive for cocaine, which led a judge to rule Furlong's visits had to be supervised.[19] A few months later, Bella sought to dissolve the restraining order she had filed, so that Furlong could visit their child.[20]"

To say he was fucked up is putting it mildly. His trashy family clearly saw him as cash cow and threw him to the wolves. Clearly he is damaged and mentally ill. Similar to Brad Renfro, he had adult girlfriend and of course, people turned a blind eye at the abusiveness of the situation. But also:

"In February 2021, Furlong reunited with his former American History X co-star, Ethan Suplee, on Suplee's globally syndicated podcast American Glutton to discuss Furlong's recovery from drug addiction and compulsive eating. At the time of publication, Furlong was three years sober from alcohol and illegal substances. Speaking on his initial hesitancy to maintain sobriety, Furlong said, "I genuinely was afraid of facing what I would be without all that, because I carried all that as who I was."[29] He is maintaining his sobriety and is attending virtual Alcoholics Anonymous Home Group meetings hosted over Zoom video conferencing software.[29]"

He appears to be getting better and recovering.

by Anonymousreply 82November 23, 2021 2:25 AM

🚨CASTING NEWS!!!🚨

Rme at yet another (albeit understandably) sanitized adaption of this, but I'm glad to see he's getting more work.

[quote]Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines star Nick Stahl has been cast in Showtime’s adaptation of vampire thriller Let the Right One In.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 1, 2022 5:53 PM

[quote] I think Nick is bisexual and sucked a lot of dick to get drugs. He's talented enough that the casting couch should not have been a resort.

R68 Nick really is gifted and hard to keep your eyes off when he's onscreen, he's the best actor in most movies he's in. Wonder if it was the theatre background that elevated him, or if it's all natural ability. Hopefully he gets a prestige project that scores him a major accolade or award in the next decade or so.

It's hard to imagine him needing or availing of the casting couch, I do think it's more likely he has sucked cock either for drugs on Skid Row or because he just felt like it and enjoys it (remember his bookshop misadventures?). Somewhere in the depths of the DL archives, there's replies I remember from a few posters from L.A. who say that Nick cruised them (like back in the 2000s), though sadly they never elaborated on whether or not those encounters went anywhere.

And returning to the point of his work rather than his private life, I just rewatched 'Disturbing Behaviour', and Nick clearly lusted costar James Marsden as much as the camera and the director did. It seems like even onscreen he never went far out of his way to disguise his sexual admiration for men as well as women, which is interesting for an actor of his age group. For a weird-looking and apparently-shy character actor with issues, he's very confident at work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 15, 2023 9:14 PM

Has anyone seen this creepy Nick Stahl movie on Hulu? I enjoyed it and he definitely still has "It". Love this guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 1, 2024 4:23 PM

He has a certain look and presence which allows him to capture the essence of fucked up characters.

by Anonymousreply 86October 1, 2024 4:26 PM

I recall my mother glancing at the Disturbing Behaviour poster featuring Nick Stahl and James Marsden and muttering “more like Beauty and the Beast”.

by Anonymousreply 87October 1, 2024 6:07 PM

I’m not sick but I’m not welllllllllll.

by Anonymousreply 88October 1, 2024 6:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!