Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cagney & Lacey seems like a joke nowadays

Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but watching it nowadays I cannot imagine that police work actually fucntions like it did on this show. I don't think there were ever cops like any of those working in the 14th pricinct. Seeing Christine Cagney running around in fashionable 80s clothing with a gun trying to catch criminals is hilarious. The "fun" everyone has around the station, joking with each other is hard to buy.

A couple of random thoughts about the show:

Last night I watched an episode from the second season in which a rookie police officer was under speculation of being gay because it was found out that he posed nude for a gay magazine. The show was handled as if being gay was a horrible thing which made me think that the writer of this episode was a bit of a homophobe. At the end of the epsiode it was also implied that Isbecki (played by Martin Kove) might be a closet homosexual.

The love scenes between frumpy Lacey (Tyne Daly) and her equally frumpy husband, Harvey are very in-your-face and somewhat nauseating. It makes me wonder if this lovemaking was showcased on the second season to make viewers aware that Cagney & Lacey were not lesbians. I get the feeling that the producers want to distance themselves from the first season with Meg Foster and the critics and public thinking they were a couple of lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 41November 4, 2021 4:10 PM

You love the show, but deride everything about it? Okay.

by Anonymousreply 1November 3, 2021 3:51 PM

It's the same thing with Lou Thornton, the actress who was originally hired to play Samantha in Sex and the City. How Meg Foster overcame being dropped from such a hit show is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 2November 3, 2021 3:56 PM

Loretta Swift was mad because she wanted to leave MASH and take the role, she played in the TV movie but the MASH guys wouldn't let her out of her contract.

Then CBS said, they'd hold the role for her till MASH was over, but then they double crossed her and recast it.

by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2021 3:57 PM

CBS deemed Foster too aggressive and too likely to be perceived as a lesbian by the viewers, and yet somehow Tyne Daly passed.

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2021 3:59 PM

Sharon Gless interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 3, 2021 4:34 PM

Of all 80s detective shows, Murder, She Wrote was the most authentic.

by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2021 4:38 PM

Tyne was supposed to be the masculine one, and wore lots of dresses on the show.

They needed a feminine one to contrast with Tyne. According to the C&L Book, Sharon had to spend an hour a day in hair to give her hair 'bounce'. But wardrobe dressed Sharon in tom-boy type clothing, to contrast with Tyne's housewife dresses.

by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2021 4:38 PM

[quote] Don't get me wrong, I love the show, but watching it nowadays I cannot imagine that police work actually fucntions like it did on this show

Police work doesn’t function the way it on Mare Of Easttown.

by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2021 4:39 PM

It was better than the crap they put out today

by Anonymousreply 9November 3, 2021 4:41 PM

R4 Sharon Gless hardly reads as 'fem'

by Anonymousreply 10November 3, 2021 5:21 PM

That show is forty years old, OP, and you're claiming it's not realistic??

by Anonymousreply 11November 3, 2021 5:27 PM

Sharon Gless was amazing. Why the hell was she on Burn Notice now, and so bad on it?

by Anonymousreply 12November 3, 2021 5:28 PM

I remember being shocked when it was announced she was replacing Meg Foster, whom I liked in the role. (Yes, I am THAT old to remember this.) Til that point, I'd always thought of Gless as kind of kittenish and lightweight in the acting department. She'd replaced Lynn Redgrave on House Calls the season before, where she played it very feminine. She really butched it up for Cagney and was able to hold her own against Daly.

by Anonymousreply 13November 3, 2021 5:32 PM

I loved the restroom prank Sharon & Tyne pulled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 3, 2021 5:36 PM

They was hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 3, 2021 5:41 PM

Any tea of Meg Foster?

by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2021 5:57 PM

Her eyes were so blue that day.

by Anonymousreply 17November 3, 2021 6:36 PM

another Sharon Gless interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 3, 2021 6:42 PM

Sharon and Tyne in 2021

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 3, 2021 6:44 PM

Isbecki has done some nude modeling of his own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 3, 2021 6:48 PM

They're nothing without each other...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 3, 2021 6:53 PM

Deep Thoughts, by....

by Anonymousreply 22November 3, 2021 7:02 PM

Tyne should play Granny Goodness in a DC project.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 3, 2021 7:12 PM

After Meg Forster's departure, the show was going to be re-branded "Cagney and Lucy," but Gary talked them out of it.

by Anonymousreply 24November 3, 2021 8:07 PM

Face facts: Cagney & Lacey were in a lesbian relationship

by Anonymousreply 25November 3, 2021 8:07 PM

No, they weren't. They were best friends, which is more revolutionary because straight guys get NOTHING out of it.

by Anonymousreply 26November 3, 2021 8:09 PM

I'm surprised they haven't yet made a reboot of the show.

by Anonymousreply 27November 4, 2021 2:23 AM

I loved the show and got the series during the pandemic and I still love it. It does feel a bit weird when the program shows the WTC towers when they still existed...it dates the show more than the fashions.

by Anonymousreply 28November 4, 2021 2:54 AM

hahaha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 4, 2021 2:55 AM

Martin Kove had to have a face transplant.

by Anonymousreply 30November 4, 2021 2:57 AM

[quote]I loved the show and got the series during the pandemic and I still love it. It does feel a bit weird when the program shows the WTC towers when they still existed...it dates the show more than the fashions.

It was still filmed in LA, R28.

by Anonymousreply 31November 4, 2021 3:53 AM

As a British comedian once commented, why didn't they get that washroom redecorated? It would only take Harvey a couple of days.

by Anonymousreply 32November 4, 2021 9:09 AM

I loved the show!

by Anonymousreply 33November 4, 2021 11:22 AM

GAG ME AND LACE ME still makes me chuckle like a seventh-grader.

by Anonymousreply 34November 4, 2021 12:19 PM

OP- Lacey’s husband was not frumpy he was

DUMPY

by Anonymousreply 35November 4, 2021 12:30 PM

r27, they tried a few years ago. It didn't go to series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 4, 2021 2:18 PM

John "Harvey" Karlen was kind of hot when younger. Didn't age well, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 4, 2021 2:20 PM

Karlen mid-shave in Daughters of Darkness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 4, 2021 2:23 PM

R37 R38- He knew he was good looking in the 1970's. By the 1980's he was so DUMPY and AVERAGE looking.

by Anonymousreply 39November 4, 2021 3:57 PM

R25- Face another fact-

Sharon Gless and Tyne Daley are both LESBIANS.

by Anonymousreply 40November 4, 2021 3:59 PM

I don't know if Tyne and Sharon could ever be replaced as Cagney & Lacey. These roles were made for them.

by Anonymousreply 41November 4, 2021 4:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!