Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about Betsy Palmer

I know she was a famous stage actress, but just how big was she?

I was watching a documentary on the making of Friday the 13th and they talked like she was "the big star" and one of the most trusted actresses in America. (I know Friday the 13th was a low budget movie, but they were talking like they got Donald Pleasance in Halloween type of big).

Is this true?

by Anonymousreply 67November 5, 2021 3:20 PM

Wikipedia link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 3, 2021 3:41 PM

Oh, she was definitely Donald Pleasance big, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2November 3, 2021 3:49 PM

R2 Seriously? I find that hard to believe.

Pleasance was in some great stuff and a very capable stage and film character actor. He was "a name."

by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2021 3:51 PM

This says everything you need to know about Betsy Palmer...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2021 3:52 PM

r3/OP, sorry, I was mixing up Donald Pleasance with Don Pardo.

by Anonymousreply 5November 3, 2021 3:55 PM

She was big enough that critics thought it was disgraceful that she'd appear in a film like Friday the 13th and try to make a campaign for people to send her hate mail for it (they gave the wrong address but that's beside the point).

by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2021 3:58 PM

She had...It.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2021 4:01 PM

[quote] I know she was a famous stage actress,

Uh no, she wasn’t. At all. Unless you consider game shows an important part of her resume. As a 60s teen, that’s primarily what I knew her from. Although she did have a great body.

by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2021 4:04 PM

R8 I always thought she was more along the lines of Elaine Stritch, not Brett Somers.

by Anonymousreply 9November 3, 2021 4:11 PM

R8: She's not like either. More of a bubbly pleasant presence.

R7: Many short runs and replacements of initial stars of big shows. She did a great deal of summer stock and dinner theater.

by Anonymousreply 10November 3, 2021 4:16 PM

R10 here. The reference to R8 should be R9.

by Anonymousreply 11November 3, 2021 4:17 PM

She was Nellie friggin' Forbush, r8.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12November 3, 2021 4:25 PM

She had...rhythm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 3, 2021 4:51 PM

She was the poor man's Janis Paige.

by Anonymousreply 14November 3, 2021 6:50 PM

saw her in The Shadow Box tour in the 70's. She was incredible on stage.

by Anonymousreply 15November 3, 2021 6:53 PM

Didn't she take the Friday the 13th role because she was broke and needed a car?

by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2021 6:56 PM

Performed Tennessee Williams on Broadway...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 3, 2021 6:59 PM

She got the Playbill cover...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 3, 2021 7:02 PM

Still, was she a household name in 1980? Was it a big reveal when she appeared at the end of Friday the 13th??

by Anonymousreply 19November 3, 2021 7:21 PM

If you do not know the name of Rula Lenska, it is impossible for you to know exactly how big Betsy Palmer was in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 20November 3, 2021 7:27 PM

Since she had been a panelist on a top-rated, weekly prime time game show in the ‘60s, when there were just three networks to watch, yes, OP/19, she would have been well known to most of America in 1980 .

by Anonymousreply 21November 3, 2021 9:54 PM

She and James Dean acted together in the television episode Death Is My Neighbor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 3, 2021 9:56 PM

I remember her as a panelist on I've Got a Secret.

by Anonymousreply 23November 3, 2021 9:57 PM

She had spunk.

I hate spunk.

by Anonymousreply 24November 3, 2021 10:01 PM

R22 Dean and Palmer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25November 3, 2021 10:02 PM

She was doing Same Time, Next Year on Broadway when she got the offer to do Friday. And she only accepted it because her car crapped out leaving the theater one night and the salary from the movie paid enough for her to purchase a new car. She thought it was a piece of crap that no one would go and see. She was a correspondent for the Today Show pre Barbara Walters.

Interestingly enough, it came down to Estelle Parsons (another Today show correspondent pre Barbara Walters) and her for the role.

The director wanted Sally Field for Adrienne King's role.

by Anonymousreply 26November 3, 2021 10:02 PM

She wasn't very fresh...if you know what I mean

by Anonymousreply 27November 3, 2021 10:03 PM

I liked that they still let her be a panelist when she was pregnant. Bess would be svelte and glamorous in her gown and Betsy would be game in her maternity top.

by Anonymousreply 28November 3, 2021 10:06 PM

Betsy and James Dean dated. When asked if she knew he was gay, Betsy said "He wasn't gay with me."

by Anonymousreply 29November 3, 2021 10:06 PM

She had a delicious pussy.

by Anonymousreply 30November 3, 2021 10:10 PM

A friend's aunt was Betsy's secretary when she was married to Dr. Vincent Merendino. They lived in Englewood, New Jersey. The aunt said she was a lovely woman and easy to work with. Later Betsy lived on West 85th near Columbus Avenue. When she became ill, moved to Connecticut to be near her daughter. She died at a Danbury hospice in 2015, age 88.

by Anonymousreply 31November 3, 2021 10:11 PM

More of a personality than performer best known for her many appearances on TV game shows Never made it to the end of the cheap, dreadful Friday the 13th, but remember her from the 50s Joan Crawford classic Queen Bee some of which seems to have inspired the film Mommie Dearest. Donald Pleasance who was a regular presence and recognizable character actor in The Great Escape, You Only Live Twice, Escape from New York, Cul-de-sac, Eye of the Devil, Wake in Fright, The Eagle has Landed, Escape to Witch Mountain, The Last Tycoon...long before Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 32November 3, 2021 10:47 PM

1980s Friday the !3th was Palmer's first appearance in a theatrical film since 1959s The Last Angry Man.

by Anonymousreply 33November 3, 2021 11:17 PM

She was on a "Newhart" episode on Decades today, playing George's (Tom Poston) high school sweetheart (at a HS reunion). I guess it was another type of reunion, since both Tom and Betsy were veterans of the '50s/60s panel shows. Tom was mainly on "To Tell the Truth," and Betsy was a regular on "I've Got A Secret."

by Anonymousreply 34November 3, 2021 11:21 PM

Biography: Betsy Palmer was born Patricia Betsy Hrunek on November 1, 1926 in East Chicago, Indiana to Marie and Rudolph Vincent Hrunek. She attended the Goodman School of Drama at DePaul University. The beginnings of her acting career were in summer stock theatre. She married Vincent J. Merendino in 1954, with whom she had one daughter -- Melissa Merendino.

Film/TV Credits: Film credits include: "Bell Witch: The Movie," "Unveiled," "The Fear: Resurrection," "Goddess of Love," "Isabel's Choice," "Friday the 13th Part 2," "Friday the 13th," "Queen Bee," "The Long Gray Line," and "Mister Roberts." Television credits include: "Knots Landing," "The United States Steel Hour," "Studio One in Hollywood," "Goodyear Playhouse," and "The Philco-Goodyear Television Playhouse."

by Anonymousreply 35November 4, 2021 12:08 AM

Her IMDB page...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 4, 2021 12:16 AM

Her sister Rosy is the much more fun and interesting of the two.

by Anonymousreply 37November 4, 2021 1:35 AM

Carp and sneer all you want, girls--Betsy Palmer was big to ME. Being a panelist on "I've Got a Secret" conferred status and glamour.

by Anonymousreply 38November 4, 2021 1:51 AM

She oozed glamour, r38...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 4, 2021 1:54 AM

Right you are, [R39]!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 40November 4, 2021 2:04 AM

I'll pray for her.

by Anonymousreply 41November 4, 2021 2:09 AM

My dad also grew up in East Chicago and was friends with the Hrunek family. He and Betsy - then known as “Patty” - dated a few times when they were in high school. Decades later, my parents were living in Minneapolis and Betsy was in a national touring company in a play whose name I don’t remember. My dad sent a note to her through the production company when they performed there. Evidently Betsy did indeed remember him and was delighted to hear from him....even invited my folks to join her backstage after the performance, where they spent an hour or so catching up on mutual friends from their high school days. My mom said she couldn’t have been lovelier or more gracious.

by Anonymousreply 42November 4, 2021 2:11 AM

Thanks for the info!

IMDB and Wikipedia are nice, but you really don't get the feeling until you ask around.

by Anonymousreply 43November 4, 2021 2:27 AM

[quote]Her sister Rosy is the much more fun and interesting of the two.

I think you mean Rosy Palm her four daughters and one son.

by Anonymousreply 44November 4, 2021 2:33 AM

She doesn't have a Desert Island Disc episode, so she couldn't have been that famous lol

by Anonymousreply 45November 4, 2021 3:24 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 4, 2021 3:28 AM

I’ve been amazed of the durability of some of these threads about stats of yesteryear, but, alas, I doubt our Betsy has sufficient juice.

by Anonymousreply 47November 4, 2021 3:29 AM

R47 That's why I was asking on here lol

I wanted to know how big of a shock it was that she did it.

by Anonymousreply 48November 4, 2021 3:39 AM

OP a surprise perhaps, but not a shock.

by Anonymousreply 49November 4, 2021 9:20 AM

I liked her during her two year stint on Knots Landing, she was even a murder suspect on that nighttime soap!

Pam Grier played one of the detectives investigating her

by Anonymousreply 50November 4, 2021 9:27 AM

Like this, r42?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 4, 2021 9:29 AM

She was just an NYC stage and talk show actress, got it.

by Anonymousreply 52November 4, 2021 2:24 PM

shes lively when interviewed in that documentary on Joan: The Ultimate Movie Star. Betsy from 1.06.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53November 4, 2021 2:41 PM

I had a huge crush on Betsy when I was kid watching her weekly on I've Got a Secret.

Years later (mid-1980s) I got to work with her in Philadelphia in a production of Strindberg's The Father (she played the Mother) and she was every bit as sweet, charming and professional as I could have hoped. And she was magnificent in the play, not an easy role by any stretch. At the end of the run she gave me a beautiful hand-painted apple which she called a Barrymore Apple, which I guess was some kind of theatrical tradition.

I just adored her. Lovely woman.

by Anonymousreply 54November 4, 2021 2:54 PM

She played Suz on As The World Turns on 1982.

by Anonymousreply 55November 4, 2021 4:12 PM

Bumping cause even though I commented and got some WWs the thread has not been saved for me.

by Anonymousreply 56November 4, 2021 6:05 PM

She was two-faced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 4, 2021 6:09 PM

Was Friday the 13th her magnum opus?

by Anonymousreply 58November 4, 2021 6:57 PM

No, it was her lucky fluke. Too bad she didn't get paid more. I doubt she had a piece of the profit or gross.

by Anonymousreply 59November 4, 2021 8:37 PM

Getting her head chopped off with her arms still flailing away was the highlight of her career.

by Anonymousreply 60November 4, 2021 8:46 PM

From R53’s linked documentary, we know that Joan Crawford was, per Betsy, “ballin’” their big-dicked co-star, John Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 61November 5, 2021 6:17 AM

R19 I saw Friday the 13th first run in early June of 1980 after my 7th grade finals. My mother took me because she was awesome. I (13) had no idea who Betsy was (and I knew a lot of before-my-time pop culture) but my mother (48) did: “Oh that’s Betsy Palmer. She was on…hmm. I don’t know. But that’s Betsy Palmer.”

by Anonymousreply 62November 5, 2021 6:32 AM

She's in the '55 film Mister Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 63November 5, 2021 6:41 AM

R62 Do you think she did better than Shelly Winters and Estelle Parsons could do? I think so.

by Anonymousreply 64November 5, 2021 2:45 PM

Probably less hammy than Winters or Parsons.

by Anonymousreply 65November 5, 2021 2:53 PM

Palmer was so perfect as Mrs. Voorhees that I have a hard time imagining any other actress in the role.

Of course, if someone were doing a shot-for-shot remake like Gus Van Sant's Psycho, I'd get Meryl Streep to play Mrs. Voorhees just for shits and giggles.

by Anonymousreply 66November 5, 2021 3:09 PM

R66 Really? I would pick Molly Shannon or Laura Linney

by Anonymousreply 67November 5, 2021 3:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!