Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paul Newman’s memoir to be published 14 years after his death

Will he be honest about his homosex dalliances while away on location? Will he bring up his fling with Tom Cruise during The Color of Money and his rejection of him when it was time to return to Connecticut?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265April 17, 2022 5:20 PM

Looking forward to it. On a side note. I can’t believe Joanne Woodward is still alive. The poor thing reportedly has no memory but of being married to Newman.

by Anonymousreply 1November 3, 2021 4:35 PM

Sal Mineo acknowledged there were bisexual rumors about Newman in an interview he gave a few years before he died. There must be some merit to them. Newman was also a vocal supporter of the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 2November 3, 2021 4:37 PM

I want to travel back in time, cradle his face in my hands, and lick it.

Look at that man. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2021 4:43 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2021 10:30 PM

Will it mention the rumors about him and Brandon De Wilde being fuck buddies?

by Anonymousreply 5November 4, 2021 12:40 AM

There will be NOTHING about the homosex in this book.

by Anonymousreply 6November 4, 2021 12:54 AM

Brandon brandishing his six shooter and what looks like his eight shooter too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 4, 2021 1:01 AM

Link isn't working R7.

by Anonymousreply 8November 4, 2021 1:08 AM

The link works for me.

by Anonymousreply 9November 4, 2021 1:16 AM

Brandon deWilde was 3 things. DE LI CIOUS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10November 4, 2021 1:20 AM

He was a beautiful man and I'm sure he had no shortage of men and women after his dick. He could have been bi but I don't think there's substantial evidence of it as opposed to others.

by Anonymousreply 11November 4, 2021 1:20 AM

I've said this many times before and I'll say it once again.

IF RAYMOND BURR & EARL HOLLIMAN COULD BE COCK SUCKERS, ANY MAN CAN!

by Anonymousreply 12November 4, 2021 1:29 AM

I don't believe Joanne Woodward is demented.

by Anonymousreply 13November 4, 2021 1:30 AM

She's 90 years old and has had alzheimer's for quite some time. She's not going to be around much longer.

by Anonymousreply 14November 4, 2021 1:43 AM

Are the profits from this book going to his foundation?

by Anonymousreply 15November 4, 2021 1:46 AM

He will spill nothing of note. Not his same-sex dalliances, not his threesome with Eartha Kitt and James Dean not his hookup with Tom Cruise. Memoirs are intended to burnish the subject's legend and that's what this will do. Actors are all narcissistic attention-craving black holes who buy their own myth.

by Anonymousreply 16November 4, 2021 2:48 AM

But maybe the main condition of his memoir was that it not be published until after his wife’s death? And that sadly seems imminent. I think he will be honest about his bisexuality and the “understanding” between him and Joanne that he could have sex/flings/affairs with men as long as it was never close to home.

I also assume he’ll be honest about the circumstances leading up to his son’s suicide.

by Anonymousreply 17November 4, 2021 3:00 AM

Will be talk about how Joanne Woodward broke up his marriage?

by Anonymousreply 18November 4, 2021 3:02 AM

R18 = 1950s version of Jennifer Aniston fangurls

by Anonymousreply 19November 4, 2021 3:03 AM

DL insisting that a hot male Hollywood star was gay?

Quelle surprise!

by Anonymousreply 20November 4, 2021 3:04 AM

R19 the late Scott Newman never forgave Joanne Woodward for breaking up his family

Why do you think he turned to drugs

by Anonymousreply 21November 4, 2021 3:04 AM

Paul Newman had all the affair(s), but Joanne Woodward broke up the family?

DL's dickmatised, misogynistic delusions will never cease, will they?

by Anonymousreply 22November 4, 2021 3:07 AM

R21 Would being privy to the clearly unhappy marriage of Paul and his first wife have saved him? My aunt and uncle despised each other but stayed together for the "sake of the kids" and made my cousins insane and miserable. Let's face it: you can't homewreck a happy couple, and Paul and Joanne stayed together until Paul's death following him leaving his first wife. It wasn't just some stupid fling.

by Anonymousreply 23November 4, 2021 3:08 AM

R22 what affairs did Paul Newman have before the one he had with Joanne Woodward?

by Anonymousreply 24November 4, 2021 3:08 AM

[quote] you can't homewreck a happy couple

Well we don't know that because Joanne couldn't keep her hands off Paul - she didn't even give Paul the space to make that marriage work, before throwing herself at him

by Anonymousreply 25November 4, 2021 3:10 AM

Meh, r22, the "Joanne Woodward broke up his marriage" squad only push that shit because otherwise they'd have to admit to themselves that their own husband or wife who was also "stolen" from them by someone else actually left because they WANTED to go. They weren't some victim , powerless and manipulated who - if not for that other bitch or bastard - would STILL be with them today.

by Anonymousreply 26November 4, 2021 3:11 AM

Do we have a "Joanne Woodward was a homewrecking hussy" troll now?

by Anonymousreply 27November 4, 2021 3:12 AM

[quote] Do we have a "Joanne Woodward was a homewrecking hussy" troll now?

You must be new here

by Anonymousreply 28November 4, 2021 3:13 AM

R28 I like but don't love Newman/Woodward (a little too nice and boring of figures for me) so I haven't been on threads for them

by Anonymousreply 29November 4, 2021 3:14 AM

In Lawrence J. Quirk biography he describes Joanne Woodward as "Miss Bitch," depicting her throughout as jealous, home-wrecking and hysterical.

In every Paul Newman biography, it is outlined very clearly how Joanne Woodward was a home wrecker - no book on Paul Newman has ever had Joanne in a shinning light after she destroyed a marriage (with children)

by Anonymousreply 30November 4, 2021 3:18 AM

DL's had a psycho Joanne Woodward's a homewrecker troll for decades. Must be as old as Joanne now. Must be Paul's first wife.

by Anonymousreply 31November 4, 2021 3:29 AM

Complicated family dynamics for sure. The daughters did not end up inheriting/running his foundation or food business the way they had expected.

by Anonymousreply 32November 4, 2021 3:43 AM

Even if he talks about sex it will be vaguely implied like the 1950s moviestar he is. "Yes, I knew James Dean, but not much after the picture wrapped". DL will be so disappointed by the memoir.

by Anonymousreply 33November 4, 2021 4:08 AM

Will there be vintage nude photos? He was slight and tight. Beautiful example of that type.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 4, 2021 4:13 AM

R32 the oldest daughter Nell runs Newman's Own and one of her sisters runs the Hole in the Wall Camps. The third daughter's married to a very rich guy. She was an equestrian like all heiresses. Don't know what happened to the 2 daughters from the first marriage. They must be in their 70s now.

by Anonymousreply 35November 4, 2021 4:18 AM

A little more 2021 info on Newman’s Own

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 4, 2021 4:55 AM

I can’t imagine him dissing anyone and I doubt this will be particularly juicy, but I’m still going to read it when it comes out if only to hear him discuss his jealousy of Brando and Dean when he was starting out. I don’t think he will cover anything about sexuality unfortunately. Even if he were bi I don’t think he was a rock Hudson type who slept around with disregard and had pool parties… I think more than anything the “juicy” stuff will be with regards to his alleged drinking problem and his guilt over his son’s suicide.

by Anonymousreply 37November 4, 2021 6:14 AM

There has to something explosive for him to leave instructions to publish it so long after his.

by Anonymousreply 38November 4, 2021 7:19 AM

Wait, he’s dead? But I was just eating his salad dressing. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 39November 4, 2021 7:52 AM

R38, from the article it apppears that the manuscript was just left unpublished because Newman never got around to finishing it. Where does it state that he left instructions not to publish until long (or at any point) after his death?

by Anonymousreply 40November 4, 2021 2:35 PM

R14, obviously Joanne Woodward will not live much longer. But there is no reliable evidence that she has Alzheimers or has been suffering from it for a long time.

[quote]But maybe the main condition of his memoir was that it not be published until after his wife’s death?

Are you nuts? Paul has four living children, you're going to have to wait until they're dead too.

FUN FACT: Paul Newman's first wife resembled Carol Burnett. And you guys think Joanne wasn't good looking!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 4, 2021 2:55 PM

Joanne Woodward is still alive at nearly 100. She was a huge star back in the 1970s but is mostly forgotten today, kind of like Julie Christie.

by Anonymousreply 42November 4, 2021 3:19 PM

Using your math, R42, Betty White is nearly 110.

by Anonymousreply 43November 4, 2021 3:30 PM

They don’t make em like him anymore! Not only was he fine as hell (and stayed that way till his dying day) - more importantly, he was a great person inside, too.

by Anonymousreply 44November 4, 2021 4:08 PM

^ Exactly why there'll be no tea spilled.

by Anonymousreply 45November 4, 2021 4:28 PM

@r41, Wow, no wonder he left her

by Anonymousreply 46November 4, 2021 4:31 PM

I think he’ll explain his “understanding/agreement” with Joanne but won’t name names.

by Anonymousreply 47November 4, 2021 4:51 PM

[quote]Joanne Woodward is still alive at nearly 100. She was a huge star back in the 1970s but is mostly forgotten today, kind of like Julie Christie.

Not quite. Joanne was a name in the 1950s. She worked far less in the 60s as she had three children. The 1970s was her revival as an older character actress. She was always sort of a character actress who got interesting roles, she was never regularly a sex bomb or perky lead, and didn't want to be. Absolutely nothing like Julie Christie.

by Anonymousreply 48November 4, 2021 4:54 PM

R16 ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 4, 2021 4:55 PM

I totally agree with you OP and R17. That Paul in his autubio "will be honest about his bisexuality and the “understanding” between him and Joanne that he could have sex/flings/affairs with men as long as it was never close to home. I also assume he’ll be honest about the circumstances leading up to his son’s suicide."

Of course Paul will frankly discuss all that as well as his preferred positions with his male lovers, his love life with his wives, and also his experiences with venereal diseases, his financial troubles and disappointments with his children, including their crimes, and how he dealt with being sexually objectified.

by Anonymousreply 50November 4, 2021 5:03 PM

So young.

by Anonymousreply 51November 4, 2021 5:12 PM

He was beautiful, that's for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 4, 2021 5:27 PM

At this point in time who cares about hollywoid actors and their continual grasping for attention.if they could only learn just to act and STFU about themselves...they are friggin exhausting

by Anonymousreply 53November 4, 2021 5:54 PM

Fuck off, R50. Or better yet mosey on over to the nearest grease fire and hop right in.

by Anonymousreply 54November 4, 2021 5:56 PM

@r52, He did have a near perfect body, one that looks good without much effort

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 4, 2021 5:57 PM

I always suspected Newman had some work on his nose very early on, it looks sculptured. Here he is with brother Arthur who had the original Newman schnozz:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 4, 2021 6:08 PM

^ Being Jewish he had a little off his dick as well

by Anonymousreply 57November 4, 2021 6:10 PM

R50 sounds like fantasy but he was a class act while alive, why would he suddenly dish on his bisexuality now? It sounds too good to be true. I’m inclined to believe he won’t say anything about it and believe me, I wish he would.

by Anonymousreply 58November 4, 2021 6:12 PM

Another...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 4, 2021 6:12 PM

He was so hot in “Paris blues” his body was perfect in that, walking around in the apartment shirtless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 4, 2021 6:16 PM

Jesus, that's the worst photoshop I've ever seen R59.

by Anonymousreply 61November 4, 2021 6:16 PM

[quote] At this point in time who cares about hollywoid actors and their continual grasping for attention.if they could only learn just to act and STFU about themselves...they are friggin exhausting

You’re aware Newman is long dead, right?

Who cares about him? He has legions of fans who will buy his book, as well as all the people who are interested in old Hollywood and filmmaking in general.

I highly, highly doubt he’ll discuss his bisexuality in this book, though.

by Anonymousreply 62November 4, 2021 6:24 PM

Didn’t Newman lobby to play a gay character? I remember reading that somewhere. He was also upset when the references to Brick’s homosexuality in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof were removed.

by Anonymousreply 63November 4, 2021 6:37 PM

R2 BH: Do you think rumors about being bi have hurt you in your career?

SM: Maybe. . . Nah, I doubt it. Everyone's got those rumors following him around, whether it's true or not. Everyone's supposed to be bi, starting way back with Gary Cooper and on through Brando and Clift and Dean and Newman and . . . you want me to stop?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 4, 2021 6:38 PM

Sal Mineo was just trying to save face at the time, I wouldn’t take it as gospel. He also called Jeffrey Hunter a creep. I wonder what Jeffrey Hunter did to receive that insult.

by Anonymousreply 65November 4, 2021 6:40 PM

Newman wanted to produce The Front Runner, R63, in the 1970s. Word was wanted to play the lead. I don't know if "lobby" is the term to use. This was when some people liked to say he was gay. Newman is different from Redford, he was a liberal and gay friendly. Redford was terrified anyone would think he was gay, Newman didn't care.

by Anonymousreply 66November 4, 2021 6:40 PM

R65 Sal Mineo wasn’t super complimentary towards Newman on this interview. It sounds like they didn’t get along well. But the fact he included Newman with Dean and Brando is telling. He must’ve known something about Newman that we didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 67November 4, 2021 6:43 PM

R49 I used to be skeptical of this story bc Darwin Porter but I was reading Kitt Shapiro’s (aka Eartha Kitt’s daughter) book and in one of the last chapters she briefly talked about how Eartha had so many friends who had passed away before her and whom she missed, and the daughter listed Dean and Newman as some of those friends. That made me go hmmm..

I also learned Kitt possibly worked with Porter for a television movie in the 70’s.

by Anonymousreply 68November 4, 2021 6:55 PM

So who plowed Eartha’s anus and who plowed her pussy? I think Dean plowed her anus.

by Anonymousreply 69November 4, 2021 9:14 PM

Fake.

by Anonymousreply 70November 4, 2021 9:26 PM

Even in 2021, the closet is still a thing. People will be so disappointed expecting a zoomer openness to revealing your sexuality from a 1950s guy. This sort of thing was not discussed, even among homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 71November 5, 2021 1:30 AM

This book will not be a confessional the way you'd like, "his family has decided to turn those transcripts into a memoir." His FAMILY.

"The memoir will also cover his marriage to Woodward, which Gethers called 'remarkably loving, affectionate and sexy,' as well as his acting career and racecar driving."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72November 5, 2021 2:07 AM

R2, Paul and Joanne once lived with Gore Vidal. One can only imagine what was going on there.

by Anonymousreply 73November 5, 2021 2:18 AM

R73 Joanne lived with Vidal, Newman didn't.

by Anonymousreply 74November 5, 2021 2:20 AM

I collect old Rona Barrett movie magazines and in one of them she wrote that Gina Lollobrigida, who had a side hustle as a photographer, had tried to convince Newman to pose nude for her, since so many actors like Burt Reynolds were dropping trou in the '70s. Barrett lamented that Newman couldn't be convinced.

by Anonymousreply 75November 5, 2021 2:33 AM

The book, notes, memoir was supposedly discovered by Joanne Woodward in their home. Being put together by his family and a publishing company it will be sanitized to the nth degree. There will be no juicy gossip or same sex stories. Saint Paul will be wearing a halo.

by Anonymousreply 76November 5, 2021 2:45 AM

It seems mysterious as well as questionable that we will be getting Paul Newman's 'memoir' 14 years after his death. Obviously someone is out to make some $$$$$$$!!

by Anonymousreply 77November 5, 2021 2:48 AM

Remember when Josh Lucas was supposed to be the new Paul Newman?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 5, 2021 3:00 AM

Wait, he’s dead? But I was just tossing his salad. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 79November 5, 2021 3:06 AM

Oh, my sides!

Even if Newman had discussed his bisexuality in his memoirs, I doubt the family would have let that stay in the book.

They have salad dressing to sell!

And, really tasty salsa!

by Anonymousreply 80November 5, 2021 3:06 AM

Wow, who knew Joanne Woodward was a homewrecker. Paved the way for homewrecking frau extraordinaire Jennifer Garner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81November 5, 2021 3:07 AM

R2 You see Newman’s vocal support of the gay community as evidence of what? His homosexuality? Bisexuality?

You must live in a tiny little world.

by Anonymousreply 82November 5, 2021 3:23 AM

"I always suspected Newman had some work on his nose very early on, it looks sculptured. Here he is with brother Arthur who had the original Newman schnozz"

Here's a pic from his college yearbook. You decide

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 5, 2021 3:36 AM

Looks like he had a nose job. More handsome before, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 84November 5, 2021 3:51 AM

He and James Dean had chemistry in this screen test. Did he ever comment on Dean's death? He did channel a lot of JD in some of his performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85November 5, 2021 3:53 AM

^They look like they're about to get it on

by Anonymousreply 86November 5, 2021 4:13 AM

^ They probably did right after

by Anonymousreply 87November 5, 2021 4:25 AM

[quote] I wonder what Jeffrey Hunter did to receive that insult.

Knocked him back

by Anonymousreply 88November 5, 2021 4:55 AM

Woodward was a guest star on a Eunice sketch, who is played by another notorious homewrecker, eight children no less.

by Anonymousreply 89November 5, 2021 4:56 AM

R85 Newman said that believed Dean would’ve surpassed him and Brando had he lived. I read he also felt somewhat guilty about his success because he knew he benefited from Dean’s death.

by Anonymousreply 90November 5, 2021 5:09 AM

R85 Newman said that he believed Dean would’ve surpassed him and Brando had he lived. I read he also felt somewhat guilty about his success because he knew he benefited from Dean’s death.

by Anonymousreply 91November 5, 2021 5:10 AM

Today, Newman winces when you mention ``Silver Chalice.' He thought his Hollywood career was over in this first film. Fortunately, he had an ``out' clause in his contract that let him occasionally return to the stage. The occasion was the play, ``The Desperate Hours.' Once in New York, he didn't go near Hollywood for two years.

``During that time, [there were] more changes for me,' Newman says. ``Jimmy Dean was killed right before we were to work together in a television film called `The Battler.' They were going to cancel the show unless I played the part Jimmy was supposed to do. I was uneasy about doing it. Everything had been cast, so I moved over and played the battler. It jump-started my career.'

``During that time, [there were] more changes for me,' Newman says. ``Jimmy Dean was killed right before we were to work together in a television film called `The Battler.' They were going to cancel the show unless I played the part Jimmy was supposed to do. I was uneasy about doing it. Everything had been cast, so I moved over and played the battler. It jump-started my career.'

Director Robert Wise liked what he saw on TV, and he called Newman to star as the prizefighter Rocky Graziano in ``Somebody Up There Likes Me.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92November 5, 2021 5:12 AM

R82 Sal Mineo said himself there were bisexual rumors about Newman. Why would he say that if there was no truth to them?

by Anonymousreply 93November 5, 2021 5:14 AM

Imagine Dean and Newman as Elio and Oliver in Call Me By Your Name. Would’ve been 10x better (and hotter) than Chalamet and Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 94November 5, 2021 5:17 AM

[quote]I think more than anything the “juicy” stuff will be with regards to his alleged drinking problem and his guilt over his son’s suicide

I know one of his nurses. He admitted to drinking over a case and a half of beer every day

by Anonymousreply 95November 5, 2021 5:20 AM

Does someone have a copy and paste problem?

by Anonymousreply 96November 5, 2021 5:30 AM

¿ɯǝlqoɹd ǝʇsɐd puɐ ʎdoɔ ɐ ǝʌɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos sǝop

by Anonymousreply 97November 5, 2021 5:30 AM

R96 Yes, you got me.

by Anonymousreply 98November 5, 2021 5:32 AM

With DL fave Faye Dunaway in DL fave movie "The Towering Inferno"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99November 5, 2021 5:46 AM

That's a lotta orange, R99.

by Anonymousreply 100November 5, 2021 6:10 AM

My understanding is that he dumped the first wife while she was taking care of his son and daughters while Paul was in Hollywood. When his son was eight, Paul hooked up with his second wife. That made me lose respect for Paul right there. It's hard growing up as is.

by Anonymousreply 101November 5, 2021 6:30 AM

It's a pity Paul Newman never produced/starred in the film adaptation of "The Front Runner," eventually becoming too old to play the closeted track coach. IIRC, he wanted Jan Michael Vincent to co-star in the role of his ill-fated lover.

by Anonymousreply 102November 5, 2021 8:05 AM

Yes r101. Far better for two people who no longer love one another to stay together for the sake of the children.

And fuck somebody else on the side.

by Anonymousreply 103November 5, 2021 8:10 AM

Will it mention his reputedly small cock?

by Anonymousreply 104November 5, 2021 8:22 AM

R41 Sorry, that isn’t a picture of Paul’s first wife. People often attribute it as her but this is what she really looked like:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 5, 2021 8:45 AM

And on their wedding day:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106November 5, 2021 8:46 AM

[quote]Wow, who knew Joanne Woodward was a homewrecker.

You should know because the DL is the only place on the planet that uses the word "homewrecker." Oh yeah, besides my grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 107November 5, 2021 12:28 PM

[quote] Remember when Josh Lucas was supposed to be the new Paul Newman?

No. Who?

by Anonymousreply 108November 5, 2021 12:48 PM

Jan-Michael Vincent would have been bad casting for Billy Sive. I remember at the time there was speculation it could be John Savage, who would have been perfect.

by Anonymousreply 109November 5, 2021 1:16 PM

Actor Ben Murphy was once considered a Paul Newman look a like - so much so that he starred in the TV western comedy series Alias Smith and Jones in 1972. He was the "funny one," the Newman-like character in a series which only came to be because of the success of the film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Slight look a like Tom Berenger literally played Butch Cassidy in the 1979 prequel to the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110November 5, 2021 2:16 PM

Paul Walker had something similar to Newman in looks. Not lookalikes but somehow the same kind of masculinity. Unfortunately, walk was a lite talent and a creep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111November 5, 2021 3:20 PM

[quote]Sal Mineo said himself there were bisexual rumors about Newman. Why would he say that if there was no truth to them?

To start trouble, you know what he was like.

by Anonymousreply 112November 5, 2021 4:24 PM

Just before he made "Somebody Up There Likes Me", he made "The Rack", which is one of his greatest performances. It was based on a TV play by Rod Serling, adapted by Stewart Stern, who became Newman's frequent collaborator and good friend. Stern says Dean was slated for "Somebody Up There Likes Me" as well as "The Battler".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113November 5, 2021 5:59 PM

I bet details of Newman’s bisexuality is contained in the vault of secrets that Roddy McDowall left behind. And that little bitch knew everything about everybody. I don’t think it will be opened for another twenty years, though.

by Anonymousreply 114November 5, 2021 6:12 PM

I doubt that: I think it’s wishful thinking that we will ever learn that newman’s sexuality was anything other than what he presented as (hetero). The juiciest stuff might be regarding any affairs he had with other women while with Joanne but how he always went back to Joanne.

by Anonymousreply 115November 5, 2021 9:07 PM

Um, no, R111.

by Anonymousreply 116November 5, 2021 9:34 PM

R115, the "big secret" about Paul Newman was that he was a functioning and semi-functioning alcoholic. Since he's dead, anything can be written, it can all come out. Why hasn't it? A couple of women have said they had affairs or had a sexual experience with him while he was married. Where is everyone else, do they exist beyond your fantasies?

by Anonymousreply 117November 5, 2021 9:41 PM

R117 it’s not my fantasy. I’m like every other gay here- I want him to be bi or gay. But let’s face, by all accounts he was rather boring and straight laced… I doubt there will be much that wIll surprise any of us.

by Anonymousreply 118November 5, 2021 9:47 PM

They lived in Connecticut, and were by many accounts, very friendly, down to earth and approachable in public. Jane Curtin lived nearby and was very good friends with them. His camp put on plays each year, and he would often bring in stars like Julia Roberts to help out.

They were inducted in the Kennedy Center Honors together. One of the best tributes they've ever done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119November 5, 2021 9:48 PM

He aged so well in spite of the years of heavy boozing. He was also a smoker until he was almost 60, then finally quit, only to die of lung cancer at 83.

by Anonymousreply 120November 5, 2021 10:04 PM

R117, if a guy came forward and said "I had sex with Paul Newman" you'd just call him a liar and a wishful thinker

by Anonymousreply 121November 5, 2021 10:10 PM

I have been on the DL since the Clinton impeachment and have always heard on the DL that Paul was bi. With no proof. It's a DL urban legend.

by Anonymousreply 122November 5, 2021 10:19 PM

R118, my question was not directed to YOU personally.

I don't get the defensiveness, I was only asking. Relax, R121.

by Anonymousreply 123November 5, 2021 10:47 PM

I honestly can't think of why Paul Newman and James Dean would want Eartha Kitt in bed with them except maybe to sing "C'est Si Bon" to them as they fucked.

by Anonymousreply 124November 5, 2021 11:02 PM

I think Newman and Woodward were actually honest with their children about their “understanding/agreement.” They were, by all accounts, very progressive. So if he disclosed his bisexuality in the book none of his surviving children would have been unaware of it.

by Anonymousreply 125November 5, 2021 11:14 PM

124 Maybe they wanted to see how she bust it open.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126November 5, 2021 11:22 PM

R124 ^^

by Anonymousreply 127November 5, 2021 11:23 PM

Paul, Joanne, Eartha, and others pictured in 2007.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128November 5, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote] Far better for two people who no longer love one another to stay together for the sake of the children

I'm sure that makes the first Mrs. Newman feel better that the cheating wasn't premeditated

by Anonymousreply 129November 5, 2021 11:30 PM

A lot longer than that. He died in the '90s with instructions that his material not be made public for 100 years!

by Anonymousreply 130November 5, 2021 11:39 PM

Sorry, R130 is in reply to R114.

by Anonymousreply 131November 5, 2021 11:40 PM

I don't think any homosexual activity will be discussed. At least not while his wife is alive, regardless of her mental state. Newman started in the 1980s and was not going to insult his wife by writing about these young men.

by Anonymousreply 132November 6, 2021 12:03 AM

Like I wrote earlier I don’t think he’ll name names. And I don’t think he’ll describe them as “young” or any other way. He’ll just disclose that he was bisexual and worked out an arrangement with his wife that he could indulge that part of his sexuality as long as he was discreet and always came back to her and their family in CT.

by Anonymousreply 133November 6, 2021 2:20 AM

R20 It’s not just DL that thinks Newman wasn’t straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134November 6, 2021 2:23 AM

He was so beautiful in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" that it almost hurt to look at him. Elizabeth Taylor too. In fact, that's really the only film in which I've found her beautiful. Yes, I realize I'm the odd man out.

by Anonymousreply 135November 6, 2021 2:45 AM

He had one long relationship with a woman that it almost wrecked his marriage. And do I think that he dipped his toe (among other things) into the gay pool? Of course! Hooray for Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 136November 6, 2021 2:56 AM

[quote] She was a huge star back in the 1970s but is mostly forgotten today, kind of like Julie Christie.

Joanne Woodward was never a huge star. They tried to make her a star at Fox in the late 50's and early 60's but she was too plain and boring to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 137November 6, 2021 3:03 AM

[quote]I’m like every other gay here- I want him to be bi or gay.

How bizarre. Why would I want him to be other than what he was?

by Anonymousreply 138November 6, 2021 3:14 AM

I worked with Joanne Woodward a few times in the 1980s. She was always sweet and professional and generous with her time. And very modest - she did not want to be treated as a star. Gorgeous skin and green eyes.

Have you ever seen Joanne in one of her early films like The Long, Hot Summer or No Down Payment, or her Oscar-winning The 3 Faces of Eve, r137? She was anything but boring. I think she fought stardom because she knew she couldn't compare to Paul in popularity and was uncomfortable selling herself as a glamour girl. And she lost interest in her career as she devoted herself to her family and raising her kids in Connecticut....not in Hollywood.

Sadly, I believe it's true that she's suffered from dementia for almost 10 years now.

by Anonymousreply 139November 6, 2021 3:22 AM

r21 is representative of tabloid thinking AND not quite understanding drug addiction. The tabloid thinking is linking the few publicly known events in a person's life to their downfall. And drug addiction can occur for different and sometimes overlapping reasons. There's no evidence these are connected to his parents divorce.

by Anonymousreply 140November 6, 2021 3:23 AM

r125 Where are you getting that from? Are you suggesting because they are politically progressive they explained that they had an open marriage to their kids? Or do you actually know something specific?

by Anonymousreply 141November 6, 2021 3:25 AM

I always got such a strong brother – sister vibe from Paul and Joanne.

by Anonymousreply 142November 6, 2021 3:28 AM

Paul Newman's bisexuality has been discussed for decades; it's not exactly a secret.

by Anonymousreply 143November 6, 2021 4:42 AM

r143 Discussion is not fact. Was he bi and actively banging dudes? Possibly. Probably. Doesn't mean he sat the wife and kids down to discuss it. Meanwhile Im aware of a few straight actors who have been rumored online to be gay for 2 decades now and as far as I know they only have sex with women. Massive jump in logic to assume he discussed this stuff with his wife or kids and even more to think he included it in his memoir.

if he did, it would be pretty amazing. But actors never want to discuss who they banged in books and those who do usually do it for money. They want to talk about their projects and sometimes co-stars/directors.

by Anonymousreply 144November 6, 2021 6:02 AM

[quote]Meanwhile Im aware of a few straight actors who have been rumored online to be gay for 2 decades now and as far as I know they only have sex with women.

Who? Tell us specific actors and we'll accept or debunk your statement one by one. Otherwise using vague blanket generalities don't serve us any.

by Anonymousreply 145November 6, 2021 6:12 AM

This is all before my time. Even Tom Cruise's career beginnings were around the time I was born. But I've seen a lot of film and Paul Newman was a man. A very handsome, gorgeous Roman bust of a man. Average in other ways. Chicken legs - I heard that's what they called him at home. He was bony assed and had no body. But what a face. Those lips those eyes. That profile. A jawline. A FACE.

No way was Newman a gay. He was a serious method actor who always took it seriously. Sort of a male Marilyn Monroe. He didn't want to be known for being sexy, but he kept on playing up being sexy. Took a lot of paychecks for being Paul Newman. Never quite lived up to what he thought he was as an actor. Near the end, yes.

I bet Paul Newman did mess with some pretty and talented men in his life. Sex is mysterious and he was a very creative guy. But he was NOT a gay. He was sexual and sexy. He liked being an object of desire. NOT in a million years would 60 year old Paul Newman be interested in that pudgy buck tooth moron Tom Cruise. NEVER.

Paul Newman was a bottom. All straight men are.

by Anonymousreply 146November 6, 2021 6:40 AM

Would someone please tell the nurse to come for r146? His computer isn't supposed to have internet access.

by Anonymousreply 147November 6, 2021 12:17 PM

Paul Newman was bi? Filth! We're boycotting Newman's Own

by Anonymousreply 148November 6, 2021 2:00 PM

R146 is only correct about Newman having had skinny legs and no butt. And that’s it.

by Anonymousreply 149November 6, 2021 2:16 PM

R146 is very astute and insightful. Paul Newman may have been fucked a few times, but nothing about him seemed like a gay.

by Anonymousreply 150November 6, 2021 2:30 PM

R142, all marriages - straight and gay - eventually look like that

by Anonymousreply 151November 6, 2021 2:48 PM

[quote]I think she fought stardom because she knew she couldn't compare to Paul in popularity and was uncomfortable selling herself as a glamour girl.

Oh brother, no. Joanne Woodward was an Actor's Studio character actress, she wanted good diverse roles, not glamor. Her career decisions were not dictated by Paul or his stardom like a sitcom. Joanne did cheesecake (below) early in her career, as did everyone, but she her goal was to do interesting work, not to be a "star." Newman mentioned many times that Joanne liked playing the frump instead of the glamor girl because it was a better role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152November 6, 2021 3:02 PM

Who's Paul Newman? What does bi mean? Look at the lights, pretty lights...'

by Anonymousreply 153November 6, 2021 3:10 PM

Woodward's film debut in COUNT THREE AND PRAY was an embarrassment. Her acting was like Debbie Reynolds at her urchin worst.

"Ya wanted to be rid of me - well now yore rid!" "I got five brothers an' ever' one of 'em is mean bad!"

I think she's even worse than Newman in THE SILVER CHALICE.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154November 6, 2021 3:46 PM

Joanie Woodward was a frump though. A very plain woman you couldn't really imagine as a leading lady. Except as a frump, neurotic or matronly character. She came of age at the right time. She was kind of the Bea Arthur of movies. She became very good within her small skillset as she got older. Like many non beauties, Woodward was also more attractive as she aged. Joanne also had a terrible monotonous voice, lacking in color or inflection. Extremely bland film actress.

by Anonymousreply 155November 6, 2021 3:47 PM

^ Ha ha ha ha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156November 6, 2021 3:56 PM

Thank you for proving my points, R156. Woodward was no beauty. Very plain woman. Lipstick and a blonde wig on a pig?

by Anonymousreply 157November 6, 2021 4:37 PM

"...he was not a gay...."

A gay? People say stuff like this on a gay board?

by Anonymousreply 158November 6, 2021 5:20 PM

Joanne Woodward put her career on the back burner and mostly worked with Paul Newman on HIS movies

She only did films, outside of Paul Newman universe, only if they really interested her. But the role would have to be spectacular to get her away from Connecticut. Other than that, she was perfectly content to live in Paul Newman's shadow.

by Anonymousreply 159November 6, 2021 5:24 PM

knowing that Joanne was very picky about her acting projects, why would she do a cheap soap opera in the movie "Passions"?

by Anonymousreply 160November 6, 2021 5:28 PM

r152, you quote me, then say "NO" and then appear to agree with everything I said but in a nasty tone.

by Anonymousreply 161November 6, 2021 5:35 PM

Joanne Woodward made too many movies with her famous hubby Paul Newman and most of them were not very good. She was simply coasting along on his coattails.

by Anonymousreply 162November 6, 2021 8:45 PM

Why did R156 post a photo of Agnes Moorehead?

by Anonymousreply 163November 6, 2021 8:48 PM

R162, she won an Oscar before he did

by Anonymousreply 164November 6, 2021 9:04 PM

Newman struck me as someone who probably engaged in homo casting couch action earlier in his career.

But, he also struck me as the type who was very pragmatic about it and just chalked it up to a price he had to pay without getting all bent out of shape about it or traumatized. Not in a mercenary,JLaw way. Rather, more like that's just what hot young actors had to do to get roles back in those days and he accepted it as long as he had to accept it.

Also, while he probably wouldn't seek man-on-man action out, he also probably wasn't particularly bothered by it and viewed it as a chore more than for fun, but would make the best of the situation and try to have fun.

Yes, I should write fanfic...

by Anonymousreply 165November 6, 2021 9:32 PM

^ Zzzzz

No, you shouldn't, R165.

by Anonymousreply 166November 6, 2021 9:46 PM

R165, Jesus, you really seem to think you actually know someone you’ve never even met. Have you even ever met an actor? I lived with one for twenty years. Let’s just say more often than not their sexual identity can be quite fluid.

by Anonymousreply 167November 6, 2021 10:26 PM

YEAH, R165. Don't you know where you are? At the DATALONGE!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 168November 6, 2021 10:59 PM

I'm a supporter of gay rights. And not a closet supporter either. From the time I was a kid, I have never been able to understand attacks upon the gay community. There are so many qualities that make up a human being... by the time I get through with all the things that I really admire about people, what they do with their private parts is probably so low on the list that it is irrelevant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 6, 2021 11:05 PM

Brando and Newman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170November 6, 2021 11:09 PM

Oh lord. He is one of the most handsome men in the history of the world. Wowza R169.

by Anonymousreply 171November 6, 2021 11:10 PM

Newman was handsome but he was almost too perfect looking for my taste. Something is missing for me.

by Anonymousreply 172November 7, 2021 5:42 AM

Why do people think every male star of the 50s and 60s was gay?

by Anonymousreply 173November 7, 2021 6:18 AM

Paul Newman cooking eggs for Anthony Perkins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174November 7, 2021 6:30 AM

When Paul Newman was starting up his film career, he was summoned to the home of Hollywood gossip columnist Hedda Hopper, who dished in fan magazines for readers in small town America about the doings of the stars.

Slyly leading up to the deal she wanted to make, Hopper laughingly told the young Newman about how Errol Flynn, angered about an item she put in a column about him, appeared on her doorstep. When she answered the door, he was facing her... masturbating.

"I began laughing," Hopper is quoted as saying to Newman, "and continued laughing until he finished with a dramatic flourish all over my doorstep. I'll say one thing for Errol. He's the only man I know who can ejaculate in front of a fully dressed woman who's laughing derisively during the entire process."

Yes, readers, to paraphrase Margo Channing: Fasten your seat belts reading the celeb bio Paul Newman/The Man Behind the Baby Blues is a bumpy ride, especially if you favor decorum. It's an account that guarantees you'll shake your head saying what!??!! on nearly every page.

Writer Darwin Porter relates in this tell-all biography that over drinks Hopper regaled Newman with a lot of stories that gave evidence that she was far more knowing of the clandestine going-ons in Hollywood than her "provincial" public image might suggest.

The point she was making was that she was on to Newman's bisexual life that entailed hot and heavy romances with James Dean, Sal Mineo, Howard Hughes, Montgomery Clift, Marlon Brando, Tony Perkins, George Grizzard and the list goes on. To keep such innuendos out of her column (which would have iced his film career), she wanted him to give her exclusives on his impeding marriage to Joanne Woodward and other tidbits that would scoop her rival gossip columnist Louella Parsons.

Porter's Paul Newman/The Man Behind The Baby Blues is, as the words in a police-barricade-yellow banner across the cover proclaim, an exposé. The tone of the writing is far from scholarly and the anecdotes so titillating that the reader may be justified in assessing Porter as a shrewd a gossip as Hopper. That he waited until after Newman's death to publish it only suggests a solid knowledge of libel and defamation laws.

Still, the fluidity of Newman's sexuality in the early years of his acting career does at least suggest a prism (or peephole) for Queer Studies academics whose subject matter is unacknowledged gay artists of the past. Does this sexually chameleon behavior inform creativity? What is the role of a gay sensibility in an actor's developing his chops? Leave those questions to the scholars. The rest of us can only surmise how any of these actors had any time to work.

To my mind Porter's purpose is to give the low-down on the down-low of Hollywood film and Broadway stage actors. For that he gets a scarlet A-plus.

That is, if you believe what he has to say. His sources are very often name actors, directors, and Hollywood personalities (many of whom like Newman are now deceased). While some may seem suspect, confidants such as Janice Rule give the book's tattling validity.

Rule met Newman early on when she was playing the heroine Madge in the stage production of Picnic and stayed in touch with him over the years. (Joanne Woodward, who got to know Newman intimately at this time, was her understudy.) When Rule invited Newman to her dressing room after a performance the actor was surprised not to find Rule lusting after his body. Instead she wanted him to tell her what happened when he went to Joan Crawford's apartment at the cinema star's invitation. (It is hilarious with Crawford behaving like a cougar.) Rule loved gossip. In later years, she left acting to become a successful psychotherapist in Manhattan, but she kept her ear to the ground nonetheless.

Other seeming reliable sources include Eartha Kitt, who summed up her bedroom romp with the twosome of Newman and Jimmy Dean, saying "white boys are so delicious." Kitt, by the way, told Porter that the authors of the Broadway musical Hair stole that line from her for their show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175November 7, 2021 6:46 AM

A decided plus to the bio is the copious photographs that appear on the very page where they have the most relevance. The quotes beneath the picture can be quite witty, as with Crawford's, whose quip reads, "We Texas gals eat beef cake."

According to Porter, he's been collecting hearsay stories on Newman since being introduced to the actor by Tennessee Williams in 1959. At that time Porter was the 21-year-old bureau chief for the Miami Herald in Key West. Porter seemingly has access to numerous luminaries who confide in him from Geraldine Page who co-starred with Newman in Sweet Bird of Youth to playwright William Inge who wrote Picnic, which launched Newman's acting career in a big way.

He has a writing style, however, that makes his reported private conversations suspect. Porter often quotes what was said in intimate situations that have to be pure conjecture. The give-away is that he's putting the same words into people's mouths no matter who is talking, for examples terms like "plowed" and "sloppy seconds."

Paul Newman/The Man Behind the Baby Blues is published by Blue Moon Productions, Ltd, based in New York City, and staffed by writers who otherwise produce the various Frommer Guides, the well-regarded travel publications. Porter has previously done bios on Katharine Hepburn, Steve McQueen, Michael Jackson, Humphrey Bogart, Merv Griffin, and Marlon Brando. Aside from Jackson, the subjects were room temperature when Porter's bios were published.

The prolific Gore Vidal also recently authored a memoir in words and photos, which includes more than a few mentions of the Newmans with some lovely pictures of the couple. In the 50s, Vidal, his long-term lover and the Newmans lived together in Shirley McClaine's beach house in Malibu and stayed close friends through the ensuing years. Towards the end of the book Vidal tells a story of how Newman decided to discontinue his chemotherapy for cancer. "And he died on his own terms...," Vidal writes honoring his friend's staunch individualism.

Porter also acknowledges Newman's individualism, but salaciously, with little or no respect for his subject.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176November 7, 2021 6:47 AM

In any event, Newman's marriage to Woodward survived and appeared to thrive right up until his death. Once after being asked about the state of his marriage, and the temptations that came with being a celebrity superstar, Newman jokingly replied “Why go out for hamburger when you can have steak at home?”

Despite the actor's awkward attempt to pay a compliment to his wife, Woodward, it seems, wasn't too pleased at being compared to a "piece of meat."

Over the years, there were some whispers and rumors suggesting Newman was bi-sexual, but most observers dismiss them as mere gossip designed to sell books. However, the possibility the actor had fleeting affairs with actresses like Natalie Wood, Vivien Leigh, Grace Kelly, and Marilyn Monroe is given more credibility, although any serious proof of such liaisons never surfaced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177November 7, 2021 6:57 AM

"—Rock, Monty, Tab, James, Sal, Brando, and Lassie"

Lassie?

Lassie was trans

by Anonymousreply 178November 7, 2021 7:17 AM

@r174, I'd pay to see those two get it on at that age

by Anonymousreply 179November 7, 2021 7:19 AM

It looks like they were good friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180November 7, 2021 7:21 AM

I find it hard to believe Newman never had any affairs. Not even with other actresses?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181November 7, 2021 7:28 AM

R181 Meant to post this photo of Newman and Sophia Loren.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182November 7, 2021 7:29 AM

R182

Loren found Paul Newman a nice person, “but shy and very much in love with his wife Joanne Woodward who was very pregnant and always on the set” when the two made Peter Ustinov’s 1966 comedy “Lady L.” “I was always amazed that each time I looked at him, I would say to myself ‘My God, I’m working with Paul Newman,”’ Loren noted. “’God, look at his eyes, look at his mouth. He is so handsome.’ I don’t know when he was looking at me what he thought, but anyway, I was absolutely amazed.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183November 7, 2021 7:31 AM

[quote] Slyly leading up to the deal she wanted to make, Hopper laughingly told the young Newman about how Errol Flynn, angered about an item she put in a column about him, appeared on her doorstep. When she answered the door, he was facing her... masturbating.

"I began laughing," Hopper is quoted as saying to Newman, "and continued laughing until he finished with a dramatic flourish all over my doorstep. I'll say one thing for Errol. He's the only man I know who can ejaculate in front of a fully dressed woman who's laughing derisively during the entire process."

Might have known it was from Darwin porter. He writes like the dataloungers writing about their sex fantasies. Always unconvincing and using phrases that normal people just don’t use outside of literature or scripts!

Where does porter get insights from all these dead colleagues anyway- a medium!?

by Anonymousreply 184November 7, 2021 8:14 AM

Actually, R174, it's both Paul and Joanne who are cooking for Perkins.

by Anonymousreply 185November 7, 2021 10:36 AM

For sure I think Newman had no issue with being a friend to gay men. It would be stupid in Hollywood to be otherwise particularly as he was also a stage actor too - having done picnic. I’m not convinced he would have to do the casting couch, I simply believe he had to be nice and friendly and that’s all that’s required. It probably helped that he was seen to be friendly with such gays as gore Vidal and Anthony Perkins to further establish him as an ally rather than a threat.

by Anonymousreply 186November 7, 2021 11:30 AM

I knew that story was bullshit, because not even perv Errol Flynn could get it up for Hedda Hopper

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187November 7, 2021 11:31 AM

If he had any same sex affairs I’m sure it was with dl gays who were not going to brag about it and he was obviously more careful than guys like rock Hudson and Sal mineo.

by Anonymousreply 188November 7, 2021 11:32 AM

Darwin Porter is known as being full of shit

by Anonymousreply 189November 7, 2021 2:06 PM

I always wondered about Hedda Hoppers motivation. Why was she so nasty? Then i realised she was a failed actress, so her bitterness led her to ruin the lives of those she envied.

by Anonymousreply 190November 7, 2021 2:08 PM

It's strange that people still know who Hedda Hopper was. Hearst invented her - a failed actress - as a rival to Louella Parsons who seems to be forgotten these days but was the most influential gossip columnist in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 191November 7, 2021 2:31 PM

I had a hot 3-way with JFK Jr and Paul Newman in the lilac grove designed by Bunny Mellon at Red Gate Farm.

by Anonymousreply 192November 7, 2021 3:51 PM

^ You too?

by Anonymousreply 193November 7, 2021 3:53 PM

R175 and all your posts, you write like we're a bunch of teenagers who need you to teach and explain. The fact that you BELIEVE that asshole Darwin Porter is enough to dismiss your posts.

[quote]Loren found Paul Newman a nice person, but shy...

Sophia Loren likes to stretch the truth. Once, only once, she came clean about her "romance" with Cary Grant in the 1950s- she said nothing happened. But people love the story so much, and interviewers ask about it constantly, that she went back to the old version.

by Anonymousreply 194November 7, 2021 3:55 PM

R194 I never said I believed Porter genius, I was just sharing a review of his book about Newman.

by Anonymousreply 195November 7, 2021 5:06 PM

Newman was better than Dean. For one thing he had a natural likability (Butch Cassidy, Cool Hand Luke, etc) that Dean could only simulate. As for Dean's death he may not have been speeding at all. He was in a low slung car doing over a hill. He couldn't see what was next and no one could see him.

by Anonymousreply 196November 7, 2021 5:43 PM

R196 Newman wasn’t natural at all in Somebody Up There Likes Me, a film Dean was supposed to star in before he died. Dean would’ve been more convincing in the role.

by Anonymousreply 197November 7, 2021 5:48 PM

Paul Newman was mature and confident. Cool and collected. Dean was adolescent and projected vulnerability and anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 198November 7, 2021 6:26 PM

They were extremely different, both in their personas and as actors. Dean was dangerous. Newman wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 199November 7, 2021 6:28 PM

R198 R199 Dean is both dangerous and confident in this television episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200November 7, 2021 6:47 PM

R145 I've done it before on here. I've been to their houses, seen their interactions with girlfriends in private settings or in their homes, known their assistants who would sit and complain endlessly about their bosses and tell all sorts of shit about them that had nothing to do with sexuality. In several of these cases, I am aware conventional wisdom is that they're gay. Whenever I've suggested they aren't gay as far as anyone in their inner circle knows, you get tons of indignant pushback here from Datalounge archivists who can remember every single rumor or piece of evidence they've memorized. Then you get called a PR representative. Not worth it to argue or try to convince those people.

by Anonymousreply 201November 7, 2021 6:59 PM

R201, and yet you won't say who these actors are....

by Anonymousreply 202November 7, 2021 7:06 PM

This memoir is going to be boring as hell. I remember when Newman used to do interviews for his movies and he was a terrible interview. He didn't want to talk about anything, he didn't want to be there. He never wanted to talk about his personal life. I don't think there's going to be a single thing in this book that you couldn't find in an IMDB biography.

by Anonymousreply 203November 7, 2021 7:11 PM

R48 actually Woodward worked the most in the 60s/70s Rachel, Rachel, They Might Be Giants, Winning, Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams, The Stripper, Paris Blues, A New Kind of Love, A Big Hand for a Little Lady, The Effects of Gamma Rays . . .between 1968 and 1990 she received 3 Oscar nominations,, won the NY Film Critics Award for Best Actress 3 times and was nominated for numerous Golden Globes for her film and television work. After winning the Oscar in 1958 her career really took off.

by Anonymousreply 204November 7, 2021 7:39 PM

R191 actually it was Louella Parsons who was on the Hearst payroll.....Hopper came later with a small syndicated column that proved to be the real thing and was soon being published in hundreds of non-Hearst papers.

by Anonymousreply 205November 7, 2021 10:32 PM

[quote] Not his same-sex dalliances, not his threesome with Eartha Kitt and James Dean not his hookup with Tom Cruise.

Who did you hear that from, Darwin Porter? Scotty Bowers? You sound like you'll believe anything, from anybody.

by Anonymousreply 206November 7, 2021 10:36 PM

Will he finally share his secret recipe for Italian dressing?

by Anonymousreply 207November 7, 2021 10:38 PM

R199 Part of why Dean was more dangerous was because he was younger and felt he had something to prove. It's hard to tell where his career would have went. In comparison, Newman was older when he got famous, so more grounded and secure in himself. I think they both worked well in the material they got.

by Anonymousreply 208November 7, 2021 10:39 PM

"...where his career would have went"?

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 209November 8, 2021 1:07 AM

Neither Newman nor Dean were/would have been good casting as the pugilistic Italian-American boxer Rocky Graziano.

Young Dean Martin might have actually been interesting in the role.

by Anonymousreply 210November 8, 2021 1:08 AM

[quote]obviously Joanne Woodward will not live much longer. But there is no reliable evidence that she has Alzheimers or has been suffering from it for a long time.

I did hear some guy who went to Sarah Lawrence with her (she went when she was in her 60 or so.)

She was like a mentor to him. He was on Marc Maron's podcast and said she has alzheimers. I don't remember who he was.

She may have lucid moments though. Allison Janney thanked her when she won the Oscar. Woodward directed or taught Janney when she was in college and mentored her too.

by Anonymousreply 211November 8, 2021 1:13 AM

Joanne did a bit of summer theater at Kenyon College, which I think was Paul's alma mater, as well as Allison Janney's.

by Anonymousreply 212November 8, 2021 1:18 AM

[quote]I don't remember who he was.

That's certainly reliable

by Anonymousreply 213November 8, 2021 12:03 PM

I forgot my password.

by Anonymousreply 214November 8, 2021 1:06 PM

Apparently it will be published this coming fall. I hope it's not edited like some posthumous memoirs and diaries. Nijinsky's diary was infamously edited by his widow to remove references to homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 215April 12, 2022 2:57 AM

R176, Porter the Key West Bureau Chief for the Miami Herald at 21?? What horse shit. He really does write fiction.

by Anonymousreply 216April 15, 2022 12:33 AM

I can't wait. I love that his charity driven salad dressings use his dorky pencil drawing visage and not every smoldering picture ever taken of him

by Anonymousreply 217April 15, 2022 12:48 AM

I still can't believe Steve No-Talent McQueen got top billing over Newman when the credits rolled at the end of The Towering Inferno.

by Anonymousreply 218April 15, 2022 12:50 AM

Joanne was in a good TV movie called Do You Remember Love? (1985), about a middle-aged woman suffering from early dementia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219April 15, 2022 1:04 AM

I wonder why it took so long to publish.

Seems strange they'd wait this long.

by Anonymousreply 220April 15, 2022 1:34 AM

His estate must have a day in this being able to be published when it is. That said, his coffee isn’t up to the same quality these days as it used to be, and that he was always! Hrummphh.

by Anonymousreply 221April 15, 2022 2:22 AM

^ “…must have a say in…”. Apologies for typo.

by Anonymousreply 222April 15, 2022 2:22 AM

R218, did you know that sometimes on actor gets first billed in the titles and second billed in the credits? On old movie ads, one actor may get first top billing and second actor gets second but HIGHER billing. These things are not accidents, agents argue for their clients in lengthy negotiations. My favorite: In the ad, Robert Redford gets first billing in All the President's Men, yet in the actual film, Dustin Hoffman's name comes first in the titles. Hoffman's image is also first in the ad...as I said, these things are not accidents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223April 15, 2022 12:07 PM

R201, are you male or female?…

by Anonymousreply 224April 15, 2022 12:16 PM

I wonder if it'll cover the time Steve McQueen took Newman to bed and plowed him like the North 40?

by Anonymousreply 225April 15, 2022 12:41 PM

My god, what a beautiful man.

by Anonymousreply 226April 15, 2022 12:55 PM

Supposedly the late James Garner had a similar arrangement with his wife. I don’t know what to think of that…

by Anonymousreply 227April 15, 2022 3:30 PM

[quote] In any event, Newman's marriage to Woodward survived and appeared to thrive right up until his death.

Cold comfort to the First Mrs. Newman and Scott Newman who turned to drugs after Joanne broke up the marriage

by Anonymousreply 228April 15, 2022 3:36 PM

Even though the Errol Flynn story is fake "finished with a dramatic flourish" is now in my lexicon.

by Anonymousreply 229April 15, 2022 4:09 PM

R228, Scott Newman was a screw-up long before he ODed. Always a problem, always a jerk. His parents' marriage cannot be blamed for his shortcomings.

by Anonymousreply 230April 15, 2022 7:00 PM

Can you imagine being the son of Paul Newman? Having to live up to that? I guess Scott Newman couldn't handle it. Some sons of incredibly revered, worshipped men can't deal with it; so much is expected of them. The sons of Clark Gable and Joe Dimaggio were the same way. I think they both turned out to be real losers.

by Anonymousreply 231April 15, 2022 7:52 PM

Newwwwwwman!

by Anonymousreply 232April 15, 2022 8:25 PM

Scott Eastwood is absolutely nothing compared to his crazy dad who was a real star and the other face of cowboys besides John Wayne.

by Anonymousreply 233April 15, 2022 8:58 PM

Are my seams "straight?". Hahaha

by Anonymousreply 234April 15, 2022 9:35 PM

"Newman's Own Life© "

by Anonymousreply 235April 15, 2022 9:40 PM

Newman was represented by a character in one of Jackie Collins' novels. I forget which novel, but I knew it was Newman as I read along. Yes, the character fucked men while being heterosexually married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236April 15, 2022 10:08 PM

Newman had major gayface. I think he was a bisexual just like his inspirations, Brando and Dean. Many bisexual men marry women especially back then. Doesn't mean they can't enjoy dick on the side especially in liberal upper class marriages.

by Anonymousreply 237April 15, 2022 10:32 PM

[quote] Newman had major gayface.

How do you figure that? Are you saying he looked gay because he was so good looking? That's really dumb.

by Anonymousreply 238April 16, 2022 12:13 AM

Will he come out in trans in it?

by Anonymousreply 239April 16, 2022 12:15 AM

Gayface exists and is backed by science. We already know he fucked guys.

by Anonymousreply 240April 16, 2022 12:16 AM

[quote] Scott Newman was a screw-up long before he ODed

Scott Newman only started using after Joanne Woodward started sleeping with Mrs. Newman's husband

that is a FACT

by Anonymousreply 241April 16, 2022 12:20 AM

R238

Nope, you are putting words in my mouth. He had big eyes, a large forehead, a long nose, pouty lips and a narrow jaw. It has nothing to do with him being good-looking which was. DL associates gay face with being ugly when it's actually considered more aesthetically pleasing than an overly masculine face hence why most male actors and models have it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242April 16, 2022 12:27 AM

[quote] Gayface exists and is backed by science. We already know he fucked guys.

What "science" backs up "gayface?" And you, nor anyone else on Datalounge, knows who he fucked. You're not right in the head.

by Anonymousreply 243April 16, 2022 8:01 PM

[quote] He had big eyes, a large forehead, a long nose, pouty lips and a narrow jaw.

So having "big eyes, a large forehead, a long nose, pouty lips and a narrow jaw" makes you gay? That's beyond stupid.

by Anonymousreply 244April 16, 2022 8:03 PM

^^ STFU already frau cunt.

by Anonymousreply 245April 16, 2022 8:13 PM

Newman and Woodward had an apt midtown East Side of Manhattan in the early and mid 70s. When I started running around in the gay scene around ‘74, a number of guys told me Newman had an arrangement with Woodward. Some I learned about over the years in the first person (e.g. Travolta, Timothy Dalton) or a friend had an affair (Richard Gere for example). I never knew any more about him than rumor, but it was pretty universal.

by Anonymousreply 246April 16, 2022 8:15 PM

The retard at R245 is triggered!

by Anonymousreply 247April 16, 2022 8:28 PM

R44 Correlation is not causation. If you read the link, you'd see that the study said homosexual men tend to have those facial features on average. Of course, there are straight men with that facial type but it's overrepresented among gay men. Statistics and studies never say "this makes you this", they say "these factors are more prevalent..." The point is the stereotype of the gay face has some basis in reality.

by Anonymousreply 248April 16, 2022 9:28 PM

Sorry R44 meant this for R244

by Anonymousreply 249April 16, 2022 9:29 PM

Yes, R241, when he was EIGHT YEARS OLD?

by Anonymousreply 250April 16, 2022 10:06 PM

R246 is a post by "charlie," which means take it with 1,000 pounds of SALT.

by Anonymousreply 251April 17, 2022 1:02 AM

[quote] his guilt over his son’s suicide.

Scott Newman didn’t commit suicide, he ODd.

by Anonymousreply 252April 17, 2022 1:10 AM

The sexy redneck beauty of Paul Newman in 'Hud' set my 10 year old loins on fire back in the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253April 17, 2022 1:27 AM

They lived on 96th and 5th, and were regulars at Sarabeths. He was tiny.

by Anonymousreply 254April 17, 2022 2:03 AM

R251, everything I said is either quite true (Travolta a Dalton) or speculation as I saw it in the 70s. Oh and true about Richard Truetoo. One of my best friends to this day dated Gere when he worked for the Wilhelmina agency.. You’re and idiot R251- idiot.

by Anonymousreply 255April 17, 2022 2:34 AM

[quote] when he was EIGHT YEARS OLD?

Being abandoned as an eight year-old he turned to drugs when he was a teenager

and Joanne Woodward has herself to blame for being a homewrecker

Wonder how she sleeps at night, knowing she is responsible for Scott's overdosing

by Anonymousreply 256April 17, 2022 2:38 AM

Considering Woodward is in the throes of dementia, it's doubtful she remembers Scott since she doesn't even know she was married to Newman.

by Anonymousreply 257April 17, 2022 3:31 AM

He lives with Gore Vidal and his husband, he played gay men in the homophobic mid century and never had a homophobic /closeted bone in his body. If he did have gay sex, it wasn’t like it was closeted. He was clearly very comfortable with gayness - if he chose to indulge in it, my sense is he was completely,bi. Definitely not a closet case - so there would be nothing salacious about revelations he had gay sex.

by Anonymousreply 258April 17, 2022 3:36 AM

[quote] my sense is he was completely,bi.

Who did he have gay sex with? As far as I know, no gay lovers have ever come forward to say they had sex with him. I would think anybody having sex with Paul Newman would love to brag about it.

by Anonymousreply 259April 17, 2022 6:00 AM

Paul Newman likely was a bisexual man who settled down into a heterosexual life once he got married. As for why people didn't come forward. Maybe Paul was just smart about who he slept with and wasn't indiscriminate? If it he had good fuck buddies rather than a parade of random hookups then that would explain things. A starfucker is the type to brag about sleeping with a handsome celebrity. A person from the same art background and with the same sophisticated nature as Newman far less so.

by Anonymousreply 260April 17, 2022 11:17 AM

Or maybe (probably) he was simply a straight man in the movie business. There are a few, you know.

by Anonymousreply 261April 17, 2022 12:03 PM

His Newman’s frozen pizzas are very good, and I normally hate most frozen foods.

by Anonymousreply 262April 17, 2022 12:57 PM

I'm a bit worried about the bio - we shall see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 263April 17, 2022 4:43 PM

[quote]You’re and idiot [R251]

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 264April 17, 2022 5:16 PM

[quote] Considering Woodward is in the throes of dementia, it's doubtful she remembers Scott since she doesn't even know she was married to Newman.

Which shows actions have consequences = karma

by Anonymousreply 265April 17, 2022 5:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!