Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stevie Nicks

I adore her music, but in interviews I find her to come off as an egocentric cunt. Does anybody else find her insufferable?

by Anonymousreply 50November 5, 2021 10:11 AM

She kicked a girl in the cunt bone once.

by Anonymousreply 1October 30, 2021 7:30 PM

She isn't egocentric! She is gorgeous (25-year-old beauties WISH they looked like her), has the best voice in history and her songs are incredibly complex musical masterpieces. She is also modest, sweet, kind and a feminist icon who has NEVER had addiction issues. Seriously, is there anything she cannot do? She is perfect!

by Anonymousreply 2October 30, 2021 7:45 PM

Who is a better songwriter, Stevie or Tori Amos?

by Anonymousreply 3November 3, 2021 1:59 AM

Apparently even she isn't a fan of her old interviews, so there you go OP. You and Stevie, tight like that.

by Anonymousreply 4November 3, 2021 2:01 AM

Damn, was just listening to this. Can't stop loving Stevie Nicks, no matter what she said in interviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 3, 2021 2:06 AM

If she had really taken care of her instrument from the beginning she would probably sound amazing today. I loved the pre-Tusk voice where she had high notes and l kept her vibrato in check. She's always in tune, I'll give her that. And she can harmonize with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 6November 3, 2021 2:08 AM

She has always taken herself and her ridiculous songs very seriously.

I’ll give her credit for writing whatever nonsense she’s wanted to write about. Her lyrics are just odd enough to make them kind of interesting, if a bit off-putting and humorless.

She’s also been driven to note her age and wisdom relative to other people over and over again, in lyrics and interviews. “I’m a few years older than you.” “I have known this much longer than I’ve known you.”

There are other examples that I can’t recall at the moment. It’s been a good long while since I immersed myself in the teachings of Ms Nicks or any of the other Fleetwood Mac members. But a constant theme was “I’m older, I’m wiser, I’m prolific, damn it, why aren’t I more respected by this person or that person?”

by Anonymousreply 7November 3, 2021 2:21 AM

Her songs are wonderful. Even you know that r7.

by Anonymousreply 8November 3, 2021 2:23 AM

R7 that might be one of the stupidest posts I've read here all day - and I don't really care about her one way or the other.

by Anonymousreply 9November 3, 2021 2:28 AM

Tell me what I got wrong, R9.

by Anonymousreply 10November 3, 2021 2:31 AM

[quote] Her songs are wonderful. Even you know that [R7].

Sure, some of them are okay/good. I have no need to ever hear any of them ever again. “Storms” and “Sisters of the Moon,” “Rooms On Fire”. “Silver Springs”.

by Anonymousreply 11November 3, 2021 2:35 AM

well, then you shall miss out r11. That is okay. That is the life you have chosen.

by Anonymousreply 12November 3, 2021 2:37 AM

i've loved her since i was a kid in the 80's. She has always been on a pedestal in my eyes, but the older i get i realize she is human and has her faults.

by Anonymousreply 13November 3, 2021 2:38 AM

From what I understand she started out as an operatic singer, but her eccentricities soon had her gargling with crunchy peanut butter.

by Anonymousreply 14November 3, 2021 2:38 AM

R14 Perhaps jokes aren't your thing, dear.

by Anonymousreply 15November 3, 2021 2:40 AM

Oh, but R12, I didn’t miss out. I bought their albums, saw them on their 1997 reunion tour (The Dance), saw Stevie solo a few years later (with Boz Skaggs opening), traded VHS bootlegs of 70s FM shows online with the FM fan community, listened to the songs a hundred times, learned how to play a lot of them on piano and guitar, watched the Behind The Music special, etc. etc. I think I even had a Nicks box set at one point. I definitely have had my fill. My tastes just changed.

But I know enough about Nicks’s songwriting tics, persecution complex, and her lack of humility, to make my breathtakingly stupid reply (hi, R9!) at R7.

by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2021 2:44 AM

How did Stevie hurt you? How can you heal? These are the only questions r16. In the meantime, Rhiannon:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 3, 2021 2:49 AM

She didn’t hurt me and I don’t need healing. She’s actually rather appealing in a few ways (mostly in her appearance, especially ca. 1975-77). I wish her well.

I’ll add that I worked at an event for her (a book signing? album signing? Signing something), and she was a lovely person and very short.

by Anonymousreply 18November 3, 2021 2:52 AM

But if you have had sufficient, well, what can anybody do about that? In the meantime, so many of us will continue to love her.

by Anonymousreply 19November 3, 2021 2:53 AM

Are you trying to get me to apologize, R19? LOL. Okay, in that case, I apologize. She is a benevolent force and her fans are harmless (if a bit delusional about her prowess as a songwriter—but that’s okay).

by Anonymousreply 20November 3, 2021 2:55 AM

Apology accepted. And landslide is everyone's reward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21November 3, 2021 2:59 AM

Incidentally, why are all famous people short? What is that about?

by Anonymousreply 22November 3, 2021 3:04 AM

The sounds of the guitar on the live sessions is crazy good.

by Anonymousreply 23November 3, 2021 3:11 AM

If I were still alive, I would kick her in the CUNT bone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24November 3, 2021 3:24 AM

r20 How would you rate her as a songwriter? Who are your favorites now? I asked before if she was better than Tori Amos but nobody has answered.

by Anonymousreply 25November 3, 2021 3:24 AM

R25, I like her more than Tori Amos for sure. Amos’s songs are tortuous to me. She’s way father up her own ass than Nicks is. Both of them seem rather humorless. Amos is clearly the better musician, which means nothing here because I can’t stand to listen to her.

Nicks has a very limited musical vocabulary and isn’t really a player. If she were more of a musician, maybe her songs wouldn’t rely on the same chord sequences so often. Or maybe not.

I like that she seemed to write her lyrics somewhat “in code,” in the sense that you might need her to explain what certain phrases were actually describing. “Standing in a line” in “Stand Back” actually refers to standing “a welfare line, or something!” I think that’s funny. “When you build your house, I’ll come by” actually refers to a house that was being built (by Sara? by someone else? I forget who). There’s a very personal touch to her lyrics, and a personal mythology, as well as references to mystical things. All of that is fine.

But her lyrics also verge on the ridiculous/cringeworthy a lot of the time (“children get older”), and her soft-rock leanings just bore me. Same goes for the rest of Fleetwood Mac.

I much prefer harder, heavier stuff now, and have for 20+ years. A lot of very noisy post-punk, and “alternative” as it was known when it was fashionable. I like electric guitars and distortion pedals, dissonant notes, and albums recorded by Steve Albini.

by Anonymousreply 26November 3, 2021 3:49 AM

Although he does not appreciate the goddess, I think I kind of sort of like r26 a little bit. He is still damned, but well, for now, I don't hate him.

by Anonymousreply 27November 3, 2021 3:52 AM

This is who I want to believe Stevie Nicks is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 3, 2021 3:54 AM

She’s a saint and we’re all lucky to be living during her time on this miserable planet.

by Anonymousreply 29November 3, 2021 4:14 AM

Stevie's Klonopin era interviews are must-see TV:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30November 3, 2021 4:19 AM

That was great, R30! The Sara Lee pound cake. I’m stoned and guffawing over that.

by Anonymousreply 31November 3, 2021 4:21 AM

The real eldergays must be past baddie-bye time. It’s nice sometimes to hear someone actually appreciate her music. Personally, I lean more towards Christine. Especially, “Over My Head”. That song is the imprimatur of my teen years.

by Anonymousreply 32November 3, 2021 10:08 AM

When I was a 13-year-old gayling, this was the first single I ever bought with my own money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 3, 2021 10:35 AM

Stevie was a goddess back then. “Whenever I Call You Friend” with Kenny Loggins. “Leather and Lace” with Don Henley are on the list of greatest rock duets.

by Anonymousreply 34November 3, 2021 11:09 AM

Yeah really bitter, vile, vain and vacuous.

by Anonymousreply 35November 3, 2021 11:35 AM

“Leather and Lace” is an abomination. YIKES, R34.

by Anonymousreply 36November 3, 2021 1:56 PM

I still don't understand why they asked her to perform at Linda Ronstadt's RRHF induction. She sounded terrible and her asides were incoherent, talking as if Ronstadt were a decade or two older than Stevie. If they didn't cross paths in 1970s LA I assume that was by design on Ronstadt's part.

by Anonymousreply 37November 3, 2021 2:31 PM

This goat voiced bitch has only gotten more egomaniacal with age.

She makes everything about her.

The woman lives a VERY cloistered existence.

I loved her as a kid into my early 20's (43 now)

I find her absolutely insufferable now, and that entire band- Just truly an awful group of Boomers. Yuck to all.

by Anonymousreply 38November 3, 2021 2:58 PM

She’s very cute and fun in early interviews…maybe 1985 and before? After that she comes off as humorless and taking herself way too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 39November 3, 2021 5:24 PM

[quote] How did Stevie hurt you?

She shattered my vagina bone!

by Anonymousreply 40November 3, 2021 5:27 PM

Two children too blind to see.

by Anonymousreply 41November 3, 2021 7:09 PM

I love her. I also live Albini-esque noise post punk dissonance. Love is infinite!

by Anonymousreply 42November 3, 2021 9:48 PM

I'm not crazy about Stevie's lyrics, but I love her simple melodies. I can put "Leather and Lace" on repeat and listen to it for hours at a time. Someone above complained about Stevie using the same simple chord progressions over and over. Well, that's the challenge...to take the same chords that thousands of people have used before and create something that sounds new and different.

And Stevie was very wise not to take the sexpot route in her career. Imagine how stupid she'd sound at her current age singing about sex. Someone above mentioned that Stevie frequently referenced age in her lyrics (e.g. I'm a few years older than you). Well, now those songs are even more poignant. "I'm getting older, too".

by Anonymousreply 43November 3, 2021 10:14 PM

On some level I've always admired her lyrics--they dance around the edge of gibberish but still seem to be about SOMETHING....the listener has to fill in the blanks, or guess what she's talking about, or something.....It's a weird kind of gift that has made her MILLIONS.

by Anonymousreply 44November 3, 2021 11:46 PM

No one knows how I feel, what I say unless you read between my lines.

by Anonymousreply 45November 4, 2021 3:09 AM

R45, stop. I need a little sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 46November 4, 2021 3:10 AM

"And Stevie was very wise not to take the sexpot route in her career. Imagine how stupid she'd sound at her current age singing about sex."

Why are all you bitches looking at ME...?!?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 47November 5, 2021 9:17 AM

She is the perfect spirit animal for all the Hillary worshipping DL cuntosaurs.

by Anonymousreply 48November 5, 2021 9:42 AM

Thank you, R28. That was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 49November 5, 2021 10:06 AM

I heard Stevie vs. Joni ended in a tie and went into penalty kicks

by Anonymousreply 50November 5, 2021 10:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!