Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dan Hartman

There’s an old, closed thread on him. Thought it would be good for a revisit.

Hartman was a talented songwriter and musician who may be best remembered for his hit, “I Can Dream About You” released in 1984. He was a closeted gay man who sadly died of an AIDS-related brain tumor in 1994.

He was kind of a cutie, very talented, and had a great voice. Until recently, I always thought “I Can Dream About You” was sung by Daryl Hall. It’s refreshing to see a gay man have such talent without his sexuality being the first thing to notice about him. I’m sorry that his life was cut short so early. Any other fans or stories about Dan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 3, 2022 6:46 PM

I didn't know until earlier this year, that he wrote and sang lead vocal on "Free Ride".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2021 10:08 PM

He had another hit with Instant Replay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2021 10:15 PM

Instant Replay was a BIG dance hit in the clubs! Everyone loved it!

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2021 10:22 PM

R1 finding out this now. And I'm feeling just as amazed as when i found out that Gerry Rafferty sang lesd on Stuck in the Middle with You by Stealer's Wheel

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2021 10:25 PM

Relight My Fire was my jam

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2021 10:27 PM

"I Can Dream About You" released when I was eighteen. I still love that song.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2021 10:44 PM

Yeah, I knew of him for his disco hits, so it never occurred to me that he was closeted. And I never realized he was the same guy who sang "I Can Dream About You."

Looking at his Wiki page now, my goodness he was diverse...working with everyone from Edgar Winter to Holly Johnson to James Brown to the Plasmatics, to name but a few. He had an incredible career as a performer, writer, and producer for someone who died at only 43.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2021 10:45 PM

He wrote and produce Loleatta Hollaway's "Love Sensation."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2021 10:52 PM

"I Can Dream About You" was in the film Streets of Fire with the hot Michael Pare.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2021 10:57 AM

He was the bass player in the Edgar Winter group, as well

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2021 11:07 AM

He co-wrote Living in America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2021 11:09 AM

Dan Hartman also co-produced "The Best" for Tina Turner (and much of her Foreign Affair album.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2021 12:12 PM

Instant Replay was a big hit in 1990 for a boyband called Yell! who were managed by Simon Cowell, that guy who used to be on Pop Idol/X Factor.

There was some controversy at the time that the guys claimed to be a lot younger than they are.

Take That and Lulu's cover of Relight My Fire was a huge hit and cemented their gaybaiting status.

Dan Hartman also produced some of Dusty's songs on her Reputation album and Holly Johnson's anal sex analogy Love Train.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2021 12:39 PM

Wonder what was on his Ipod.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2021 12:48 PM

My wife was involved in touring with Dan following his unexpected top ten hit I Can  Dream About You circa 84 - 85.

MCA hastily put together a band to support live dates, Dan made two more videos for MTV which of course was in it's heyday... and toured in Europe and a few dates in the US to support his solo album.

At that stage Dan was not actively pursuing a solo career.  He had formed a songwriting partnership with a fellow named Charlie Midnight, which was going well, and was probably more lucrative and less of a headache than going solo.  Also, his dance hits and his years with Edgar Winter created confusion in his fan base,.. was his disco? metal? etc..... Labels wanted to pigeonhole you and Dan, having spent years in the business was in his mid 30s and I doubt wanted to play any games. Gay male performers were still under the radar in 1984, despite Elton, Boy George, .... labels really wanted none of that.

Dan was phenomenally gifted, and really could do it all, and tailoring a song for another artist was a gift few in the music biz could match.

The few times I was with Dan socially, he was a complete gentleman.  Generous to a fault, comp tickets to see Chaka Kahn in London, picking up the dinner tab...having us out to his home in Connecticut .NO substance abuse issues were ever spoken of.

He was going with a fellow who was either in law or finance.  He was not introduced as a boyfriend or partner.. it was not necessary.    nothing was closeted about Dan, he was completely comfortable in his own skin, but sexuality was your own business and in a mixed gathering , just not talked about.  He didn't have boys hanging around, any cliches you might conjure up about a  gay 80s rocker.   I think in his heart, he was a child of the 50s with a very strong work ethic. He was very kind to his younger sister, who I believed managed his calendar.

Neither follow up singles charted well enough to put out another solo album,... that is my hunch anyway. Dan quickly had success penning Jame Brown Living in America and so he was off in that direction working with other acts.

My wife did not keep up with him, as he used studio musicians and I don't think he ever performed as a live rock act again....

My takeaway, Dan was generous to a fault, driven to succeed, but happy to share success with others. If he had lived, he would have been out and a big part of the emerging gay movement in the music biz.

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2021 2:09 PM

R15 - Great info. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2021 2:15 PM

R15

Thank you for that background. Great to learn so much about him.

Loleatta Hollaway did the backing vocals on Vertigo/Relight My Fire. As other people have mentioned, it's probably one of the best and most popular disco songs ever. Depending on which mix, it could be 12 solid minutes of dancing magic.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2021 2:26 PM

I thought he transitioned, changed his name to Lisa, and married Clint Black.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2021 2:31 PM

Too bad his 80s career never took off. He was a great live performer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2021 2:41 PM

Charlie Midnight speaks about his relationship with Dan at approx 12:00 / His recollection of the BREAKIN soundtrack having a hit single for Dan is of course very funny and in retrospect shows you Dan's gift to pitch a song, anticipate trends, etc. He and Charlie were really a throwback to the Brill Building era...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2021 2:41 PM

I have Dan's hit singles and knew that he died young but had no idea that he was gay until now. What a talented guy!! Rest In Peace.......

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2021 2:49 PM

OP, I always thought a black man sang that song thanks to Streets of Fire.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2021 3:29 PM

Really great memories of his music. I truly appreciate the inside information posted here. Thanks so much. Truly, what a loss. He’d probably have been such a positive force in the biz had he lived.

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2021 3:37 PM

R15 Thank you for sharing that! What a great story, and such a great guy. Thanks again.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2021 3:38 PM

is the singer of I Can Dream About You being black or white... ? this wiki entry goes into great detail about why the confusion ..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2021 3:40 PM

There should be a series about his life. He had quite an experience.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2021 3:50 PM

great thread; danced to Relight My Fire for months in the clubs

And Loleatta, what a voice

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2021 3:50 PM

As a songwriter "Love Sensation" is probably his most enduring and lucrative composition. It has been sampled for No. 1 hits in the U.S. ( "Good Vibrations" by Marky Mark) and globally ("Ride On Time" by Black Box).

He also wrote, with Charlie Midnight, my favorite Sheena Easton song. "When The Lightning Strikes" was produced by Nile Rodgers and it was not a hit but I love it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2021 4:09 PM

Dan covers Gene Piney in 1982 .......Howard Greenfield, who was openly gay, reportedly wrote this song about his frequent collaborator, Neil Sedaka, whom he secretly loved. Dan Hartman was drawn to this song for similar reasons. The lyrics take on a new meaning with this knowledge. (comment from a Youtube post)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2021 4:39 PM

[quote] There should be a series about his life. He had quite an experience.

I'm on it! In talks with Cody Fern and Evan Peters as I type.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2021 5:31 PM

Mr. Murphy, don't forget Beanie Feldstein! She can play the dream girl in OP's video with the big hair.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2021 5:34 PM

Sorry, meant Evan's peter.

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2021 6:07 PM

Joyce Hyser is in the video for ICDAY. She was Warren Beatty's girl, right before Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2021 6:14 PM

"Free Ride" sounded spectacular on "Sounds Spectacular".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2021 6:15 PM

R33 she was also Bruce Springsteen’s girl.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2021 6:25 PM

If you love Dan Hartman, give this a listen. Beautiful, contemplative music. Like nothing we heard from him before.

Just as genius, and able to change direction seemingly so effortlessly.

"New Green Clear Blue is the seventh and final studio album by American musician and songwriter Dan Hartman, released by Private Music in 1989. The album represented a big stylistic departure for Hartman; it consists of instrumental, ambient songs, with the concept of being a journey into the subconscious. New Green Clear Blue was written, performed, engineered and produced entirely by Hartman."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2021 6:27 PM

If Dan were alive they'd be doing a PBS tribute special a la David Foster.....trotting out all the old acts! that would make him laugh.

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2021 6:38 PM

I've heard it hundreds of times, but Instant Replay still, well, sparks joy. Even the album cover is a treat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2021 6:53 PM

Instant Reply and Relight My Fire seem like great songs about telling the guy to fuck you again right after he finished the first time....... HOT!

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2021 8:50 PM

So weird I was just looking up Dan Hartman’s discography earlier this week, OP. Not sure why he popped in my head. Have they used I Can Dream About You in a commercial or TV show recently?

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2021 8:54 PM

He was cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2021 8:55 PM

A little homely, but his personality was great

by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2021 9:06 PM

Definitely a cutie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 24, 2021 5:55 AM

Is R15 a straight dude on the DL?

by Anonymousreply 44October 24, 2021 6:08 AM

The more I read about Dan, the sadder I am that he’s gone. I barely knew who he was a short while ago. 😢

by Anonymousreply 45October 24, 2021 6:29 AM

We still have Leo Sayer.

by Anonymousreply 46October 24, 2021 10:10 AM

There's a pic of him from I think 92. I wonder if there are any others from around that time. I always wondered what his last few years were like.

by Anonymousreply 47May 3, 2022 6:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!