Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I rewatched Scary Movie for the first time last night since it came out...

...and it's even MORE shit than I remembered!

Seriously, HOW did this spawn, what? Three or four sequels? It wasn't funny. At all. Like, usually when you see a movie you don't find funny you can say: "Well, I get that this isn't my sense of humour, but others might like it", but this was just terrible. But not even "so bad it's funny" or anything. Just terrible. WHO liked it?

There is totally place for a movie that spoofs horror, the problem is that this mainly went for Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer, which are already very much tongue-in-cheek horror films. Scary Movie ends up looking pointless, and pathetic.

The closest I got to enjoying any scene was the part where they all stabbed Brenda in the movie theatre. Regina Hall is a lot of fun to watch. Oh and Shawn Wayans is fucking hot with a GREAT arse.

Other than that? I mean, do the sequels get any better? I think I remember seeing 2 at one point and being just as unimpressed.

by Anonymousreply 56July 9, 2022 11:14 PM

I enjoyed the first two…the rest not so much. The Wayans beat it to death.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2021 12:22 AM

omg yes Shawn Wayans was HOT in those first 2 Scary Movies.

I haven't seen them in years!

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2021 12:25 AM

I remember Tori Spelling orgasming with a ghost.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2021 12:26 AM

I thought the guy who played Anna Farris's boyfriend was hot too.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2021 12:27 AM

That's so interesting R1, from the moment it started I couldn't actually see how it was enjoyable at all. It almost seemed like it was written in one sitting, with very little thought put into it. I appreciate hearing from someone who did like it, though. I'd love to know why.

I still have second-hand embarrassment over the fact that when the movie first came out, I thought it would be a really funny spoof of horror and was the one who invited my friends to come see it. Stony silence during the movie doesn't even begin to describe it haha.

Fuck yes, R2. When he rolls onto his stomach saying "now do me!" and raises his bum in the air, oh my god!

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2021 12:29 AM

I thought this movie was hilarious when I was like 11 and it came out. Haven’t seen it recently but I did see Scary Movie 2 in the past few years and I still thought that was funny.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2021 12:29 AM

If you watched this movie once, let alone more than once, the joke is totally on YOU!

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2021 12:31 AM

It's very SNL-like humour. Very broad, not particularly funny, and spelling the joke out/running it into the ground type writing. I think that's what it is I don't like about the humour. If you have to spell it out, it's just bad writing.

"If this were a horror movie, we'd all be 30 years old playing teens". etc.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2021 12:33 AM

Whatever became of the guy that played the Dewey knockoff, he had his own movie(with Dolly Parton playing his mom!), and then he was totally gone?

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2021 12:39 AM

Ray

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2021 12:42 AM

Ray in bed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2021 12:42 AM

Ray at a gloryhole

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2021 12:43 AM

R11 fuck me. Seriously I want him to fuck me.

You've made me fucking horny now, haha.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2021 12:45 AM

Scary movie 3 is actually very funny. Even though it was directed by the horrible right wing Zucker brothers.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2021 12:49 AM

I'll always have a soft spot for this film but that's probably because I was like 9 when it came out. That scene with Brenda watching Shake-a-spear in Love was fucking hilarious.

It's just too bad Dave Sheridan had to play such a goofball in it because he was fucking purty around that time (at least he got to look hot in the last 30 seconds of the film).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2021 12:55 AM

[quote]probably because I was like 9 when it came out.

[quote]I thought this movie was hilarious when I was like 11 and it came out.

Ahh... I think I understand the demographic this was aimed for now. Makes a lot more sense. And of course, if you have good memories of something as a child, that will last you into adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2021 1:02 AM

If you're in the mood for some silly belly laughs, it delivers.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2021 1:05 AM

I wish, R17. I didn't even get that. Maybe a slight smirk on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2021 1:08 AM

[quote] I enjoyed the first two…the rest not so much. The Wayans beat it to death.

Keenan Wayans directed only the first two.

[quote] There is totally place for a movie that spoofs horror, the problem is that this mainly went for Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer, which are already very much tongue-in-cheek horror films. Scary Movie ends up looking pointless, and pathetic.

Its a spoof of stupid horror movies made for teens. Its supposed to be over the top stupid.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2021 1:10 AM

It's very slapstick. If you think History of the World is great you shouldn't be complaining about Scary Movie

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2021 1:12 AM

Scary Movie 3 is hilarious. The physical comedy is amazing. Simon Rex kills me.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2021 1:13 AM

[quote]Its a spoof of stupid horror movies made for teens. Its supposed to be over the top stupid.

I get what it's intending to do. My point is, I don't think it did it well, at all. The script sounds like it was written once and never looked at again. The 'jokes' barely raise a smile. They hardly do what, say, The Naked Gun films did.

[quote]If you think History of the World is great you shouldn't be complaining about Scary Movie

Never seen History of the World.

Anyway, I'm more focused now on jerking it to Shawn Wayans.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2021 1:18 AM

I was a teenager when this came out and I just didn’t find it that funny. I grew up watching I’m Gonna Git You Sucka and In Living Color - Now THOSE were funny.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2021 1:20 AM

I hated the Amy Winehouse one.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2021 1:21 AM

She's dead!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2021 1:25 AM

I fuckin LOOOOOVE Brenda! And Anna Farris is a close second. And fuck - when Dewey turns hot at the end, uuuuuuffff! I know it's not even remotely in the same camp, but the surreal, cartoony humor (also present in Don't Be A Menace) is the closest thing we've had to the ZAZ comedies of the 80s in a while...

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2021 2:18 AM

Doofy/Dewey definitely did surprise me with how hot he was in the end. And yes Brenda is great. While I probably sound whingy about how much I didn't like the film, I will acknowledge at least where I thought the good points are.

Perhaps what annoyed me so much about it was that I just wish it was better.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2021 2:54 AM

Brenda's backup dancer speech is still good. And i watched the third movie last week. I think it holds up.

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2021 8:21 AM

Pics of hot Dewey?

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2021 9:00 AM

R29, see R15.

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2021 11:11 AM

Ok, here's a really weird thing.

Bored last night and saw that Scary Movie 4 was available on streaming, the only other one in the franchise apart from the first. So, I though, what the hell, it's extremely short, will watch it.

And I thought it was much more competently made than the first! It was so weird and unexpected. These movies really aren't my type of thing, BUT if it was this one I saw and then heard others say they liked the series, I would just think: "I can see that, even if it's not really funny to me". There were even a few moments I did chuckle (all the slapstick with the girl Rachel, for example, or parts of the Tom Cruise parody at the end)! I'm not saying I thought it was a great movie, but it didn't induce that "huh?" feeling in me that the first one did. It helped that they weren't overexplaining every joke like in the first. If they'd taken the tone of this one and the better writing and put it in the first one, I'd probably have actually quite liked it.

No Shawn Wayans and his beautiful, beautiful arse unfortunately. But other than that... well, as I say, it felt more competently made.

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2021 7:47 PM

Is Dave Sheridan still working?

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2021 7:54 PM

[quote]Seriously, HOW did this spawn, what? Three or four sequels?

Remember when the Wayans Bros. insisted that SCARY MOVIE was to be a stand-alone film and that there would be no sequel? Even the movie posters stated this.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2021 7:55 PM

If I remember Scary Movie is hit or miss. The funny stuff really works but the bad stuff is really cringe. Scary Movie 2 was terrible from start to finish. Scary Movie 3 was mostly funny. Definitely the best in the series. Part 4 wasn't as good but still better than part 2. Part 5 was the worst.

I liked these movies more when I was younger but I can still enjoy the Zucker ones. A lot of pop culture humor and spoofing of non horror movies but I didn't really care if the jokes landed. A lot of it is dated even by today's standards. I guess Youtube memes kind of killed the spoof genre.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2021 8:02 PM

[quote] Remember when the Wayans Bros. insisted that SCARY MOVIE was to be a stand-alone film and that there would be no sequel? Even the movie posters stated this.

I don't recall that, but again Kenan only directed the first two.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2021 1:41 AM

"This is a skeleton! This is bones! Would you run from Calista Flockhart?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2021 1:59 AM

I won? Fuck GREG, get out of my way you losers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2021 2:49 AM

I love the first two. They're funnier I think if you are a horror fan and know the genre inside and out. A lot of people think Shawn Wayans was the hot one in those movies, but I've always had a crush on Marlon. I think he's way more attractive. I remember having the DVD of the first one as a teenager, and there's a ridiculous deleted scene in the bonus features where he's fucking his girlfriend, and shoots off his guns when he's climaxing. You get a good view of him shirtless while he's humping her, and I used to jack off to it.

by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2021 3:20 AM

R36 classic Brenda.

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2021 4:50 AM

[quote]They're funnier I think if you are a horror fan and know the genre inside and out.

I had the opposite feeling; as someone who is a big horror fan and is very familiar with the genre, the writing in the first Scary Movie is extraordinarily lazy and on the nose. I wanted something so much better and deeper. This movie was SNL-level bad comedy.

The problem is, as said above, that Scream is already a very tongue-in-cheek horror film, it's not that easy to parody it successfully.

by Anonymousreply 40October 21, 2021 8:17 AM

Brainless people in shithole places like China and Southeast Asian countries loved them and paid money to see those shitflicks.

by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2021 8:32 AM

R41 what a cunty snobbish thing to say

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2021 2:48 PM

At least you weren't stupid enough to see it in theaters. I went to see it at a movie theater and walked out after ten minutes. I'm not the type who ever does that, but it was that bad.

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2021 3:58 PM

Regina Hall carried these films on her back.

"Oh my god Brenda, we're gonna die!"

"It would've just been you if you would've just shut the fuck up!"

by Anonymousreply 44July 9, 2022 8:28 AM

I wrote those films off when they first came out. They looked dumb.

I watched the first two a few years a go and laughed quite a bit. They were like throwbacks to the Airplane! movies.

Regina Hall is comic GOLD. I would have given her the Oscar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 9, 2022 8:35 AM

It was great at the time. It took a lot from the David and Jerry Zucker style (Naked Gun) of broad humor and added urban black, African American, humor. And the black community supports that (see, Tyler Perry's Medea movies).

by Anonymousreply 46July 9, 2022 9:22 AM

I love the scene in Scary Movie 3 when Brenda died from watching the cursed video, and they held her wake at her parents' house.

Simon Rex was fucking hilarious and so was the little kid who played Cody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 9, 2022 9:25 AM

The opening of Scary Movie 2 was good too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 9, 2022 9:31 AM

I really love all of the scary movie sequels, at times when I feel bit low I watch it. It d go on and on even though I watched it several times.

Brenda, Cody, Shorty, Ray, Handson and Cindy are hilarious

by Anonymousreply 49July 9, 2022 9:33 AM

Scary Movie 2: Cindy meets Hanson the Caretaker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 9, 2022 9:36 AM

In case you couldn't tell, the kid who played Cody (Drew Mikuska) is gay.

He's kind of a bear now.

Or maybe more like a cub.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 9, 2022 9:43 AM

[quote]Regina Hall carried these films on her back.

100%. I've seen 1, 2 and 4 and she is the best thing in all of them. Oh, along with Shawn Wayans' ass, of course.

by Anonymousreply 52July 9, 2022 12:31 PM

Scary Movie 3 is the best. It also has the best source material to parody: Signs, The Ring, 8 Mile

I like The Wayans Bros comedy in small doses. My favorite of theirs is "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice In the Hood" which makes fun of all those "urban" dramas of the early and mid-90s.

by Anonymousreply 53July 9, 2022 12:57 PM

"Cindy, the TV is leaking!"

by Anonymousreply 54July 9, 2022 12:58 PM

Robert Townsend's "Hollywood Shuffle" is one of my favorite Zucker-Abrams-Zucker knockoffs, written in part by Keenan Ivory Wayans, who directed "Scary Movie." I just wish he'd [italic] written [/italic] it, too, because he's a better comedy writer than his brothers Shawn and Marlon.

by Anonymousreply 55July 9, 2022 1:11 PM

Harvey firing the Wayans Bros after 2 was yet another stupid decision. 3 and 4 have laughs, mostly courtesy of Brenda, but they're not as good. 3 kills her off way too early.

by Anonymousreply 56July 9, 2022 11:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!