Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘That ’70s Show’ Spinoff ‘That ’90s Show’ is on its way!!!

Kurtwood Smith and Debra Jo Rupp to Return as their characters.

This will be fun, but will it flop as bad as That 80s Show did?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89April 16, 2023 4:28 PM

That 80's show wasn't that bad, it was just marketed poorly. The thing was That 70's show was about the 70's, but it didn't overly stress it, which is why it succeeded. The commercials for That 80's Show constantly reminded you that you were watching a show about the 80's -- like, "Oh hey, I'm playing with a rubicks cube, isn't this funny?" No. Let the superior 80s be the background, which they really didn't get.

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2021 8:10 PM

Who will play the hot Ashton Kutcher equivalent?

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2021 8:19 PM

I'll watch it just for them.

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2021 8:25 PM

The 80’s show was awful. I knew it wasn’t going to last just by seeing the promos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2021 8:32 PM

I hope all the asses in the sling, waiting for Red Forman’s foot to go in, are hot.

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2021 8:38 PM

That 80s Show gave us Glen Howerton at peak hotness.

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2021 8:41 PM

Isn't that the name of the new SATC movie?

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2021 8:42 PM

[quote] Isn't that the name of the new SATC movie?

Neigh!

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2021 8:57 PM

It will be a hit because it isn’t a spinoff. It is a reboot and reboots are very popular currently. Plus I think this is the first show that is taking place in the 90s. 80s has been done to death.

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2021 9:00 PM

Did the '90s really have a *look*?

by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2021 9:01 PM

Late 90s did.

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2021 9:03 PM

It’s a spin-off r9

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2021 9:03 PM

Tell me something "90s" that this show will use as a recurring joke? I'm having a hard time trying to come up with something exclusively 90s

by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2021 9:07 PM

Y2K panic.

by Anonymousreply 14October 8, 2021 9:10 PM

I might actually check this out. Red and Kitty were two of best things about the original.

Too bad Lisa Robin Kelly and Tanya Roberts aren't around any longer to appear on the show. Laurie and Midge were great characters.

by Anonymousreply 15October 8, 2021 9:11 PM

I like Red and Kitty, but who is going to star in the show with them.

Ashton (and his wife) would want too much money. Eric and Fez are already starring in prime-time network shows. Laura Prepon probably wouldn't be interested. Danny Masterson is dealing with some legal and PR issues. Like R15 pointed out, two other actors passed away.

by Anonymousreply 16October 8, 2021 9:12 PM

Yeah, I'd watch it just for Red & Kitty. I'm guessing there won't be a strong emphasis on the 90s it will just be a comedy revolving around them

by Anonymousreply 17October 8, 2021 9:14 PM

[quote] Danny Masterson is dealing with some legal and PR issues.

Really? Do tell.

by Anonymousreply 18October 8, 2021 9:16 PM

R13 You can’t come up with something exclusively 90s because it hasn’t been the focus on any media before. A lot of the things we think of being characteristic of the 80s and 70s (or really any decade) only appear that way through a pop culture lens. The 70s wasn’t all disco. The 80s were not all techo. The 60s wasn’t all hippies and mod. A lot of the stuff we associate with an era are things that didn’t even happen at the same time, it just all gets combined later on.

The 90s features: mass shooting hysteria and the moral majority, grunge, bubble gum pop and boy bands, europop, a reboot of hippy fashion fads, mall culture, surge soda, CDs, increase of home gaming, increasing acceptance of homosexuality, diversity fads, fads like Pokemon and South Park, cable TV.

Granted a lot of those things (and people) are still around, but there is enough fodder once you combine it all.

by Anonymousreply 19October 8, 2021 9:25 PM

Lord, DLers rewrite history so much.

Gays were FAR FROM highly accepted in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 20October 8, 2021 9:29 PM

90s was the rise of technology. Period. Gaming systems became the norm, eventually home computers and internet became a norm, kids playing outside less and inside more because parents were more cautious. Lots of iconic TV shows and films in the 90s, lots of iconic artists and music, the first decade we saw resurgences from previous decades happening (mostly from 60s fashion), a lot of child actors making more money than they ever did in previous decades (the Olsen twins say hi), rave culture with teens/college kids, the rise of Grunge, R&B and Hip-Hop and alternative, only for the decade to close off with the rise of bubblegum pop and boy bands.

Also, some of you mentioned Y2K etc. those things wouldn’t happen until the end of the 90s. They aren’t gonna start the show off in 1999.

by Anonymousreply 21October 8, 2021 9:35 PM

Also, people getting cable TV took off in the 90s. It became more of the norm to have Cable.

by Anonymousreply 22October 8, 2021 9:37 PM

@r19, Ok, but the things you mention were actually distinctive characteristics of those decades. I just can't think of anything distinctively 90s except maybe Y2K toward the end

by Anonymousreply 23October 8, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote]Gays were FAR FROM highly accepted in the 90s.

Honey, some of us were.

by Anonymousreply 24October 8, 2021 9:45 PM

Do you really think Ashton Kutcher will be available?

by Anonymousreply 25October 8, 2021 9:45 PM

[quote]Did the '90s really have a *look*?

Of course. Every era has its look, but when you're too close to the time you're not aware of what the look was since it seems normal.

For the 90s: Grunge--plaid shirts and blue jeans for men. Sleeveless plaid shirts and sideburns for gay men.

Young women dressed like Elaine on "Seinfeld": big hair, with those weird butterfly clips, and peasant skirts.

Doc Martens for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 26October 8, 2021 9:48 PM

R20 INCREASINGLY Acceptable, since you are illiterate. Ellen came out in the 90s, and Will and Grace Premiered. The gay panic around AIdS subsided and with Mathew Shepard gays got a lot of sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 27October 8, 2021 9:50 PM

R24 lmaooooooooooooooooooooooo good job at giving yourself WWs btw lmaoooooooo

by Anonymousreply 28October 8, 2021 9:51 PM

90s fashion: Big bold jewel-tone colors, polka dots, jean jackets, bucket hats, corduroy, fanny packs. Cargo pants with tons of pockets and/or zippers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 8, 2021 9:51 PM

I gave r24 a W&W, and I am not r24.

by Anonymousreply 30October 8, 2021 9:52 PM

I wore plaid shirts and jeans in the '70s and '80s, r26. Never sleeveless...didn't/don't have the arms.

by Anonymousreply 31October 8, 2021 9:52 PM

R27 ummmm many people were happy Matthew Shepherd was killed.

Will & Grace was barely a Top 10 Hit, it just had a loyal audience. It wasn’t a big hit outside of the USA.

Ellen coming out gave her one high rated episode and then the show lost its viewers.

by Anonymousreply 32October 8, 2021 9:52 PM

R30, no, youre one of his sock accounts.

by Anonymousreply 33October 8, 2021 9:53 PM

90s, "Don't ask, don't tell" No Gay marriage... Yeah, really liberating

by Anonymousreply 34October 8, 2021 9:53 PM

From the synopsis for the show, Eric and Donna's teenage daughter Leia, will be visiting Red and Kitty for the the summer. She befriends a group of kids in the neighborhood.

They haven't secured Topher Grace, Laura Prepon or any of the original 'kids' yet to appear, but its expected some will probably pop up.

I'd imagine they'd probably bring back Don Stark as Bob too, maybe with a new wife in tow.

by Anonymousreply 35October 8, 2021 9:55 PM

R32 not only did Ellen coming out get her show canceled, it got Oprah and Laura Dern death threats, and Laura couldn’t get hired for a few years after that. She’s spoken about how that episode harmed her career.

by Anonymousreply 36October 8, 2021 9:56 PM

I always laugh when Will & Grace is used as an example. Outside of the USA it was not a hit, and wasn’t shown in most countries that even Seinfeld was shown in and that was not much of a hit outside of the USA either.

It’s never had the level of popularity and worldwide adoration that shows like Friends or HIMYM or The Cosby Show had.

by Anonymousreply 37October 8, 2021 9:59 PM

R26 some women dressed like Elaine. Most I knew dressed more like Monica and Rachel on Friends.

The 90s also saw the rise of Calvin Klein and Tommy with young white suburban people. A lot of teens loved CK.

by Anonymousreply 38October 8, 2021 10:02 PM

90s fashion changed numerous times within the decade.

by Anonymousreply 39October 8, 2021 10:05 PM

I actually feel Cruel Summer did a good job of capturing a 90s atmosphere and style. The only think is they were set in TX so there was more of a southern vibe to the wardrobe than you would see in the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 40October 8, 2021 10:07 PM

[quote] I like Red and Kitty, but who is going to star in the show with them. Ashton (and his wife) would want too much money. Eric and Fez are already starring in prime-time network shows. Laura Prepon probably wouldn't be interested. Danny Masterson is dealing with some legal and PR issues. Like [R15] pointed out, two other actors passed away.

I suspect most of them, other than DM, will appear at some point. The focus will probably be on the younger unknowns with Red and Kitty being the secondary plot just like the original. They seem to be a cast that have some actual feelings for one another. On, Ashton's Netflix comedy The Ranch many of them made appearances the Kitty actress basically became a semi-regular. I'm sure he and his wife will gladly repay the favor.

by Anonymousreply 41October 8, 2021 10:20 PM

[quote][R24] lmaooooooooooooooooooooooo good job at giving yourself WWs btw lmaoooooooo.

Um, nope.

[quote][R30], no, youre one of his sock accounts.

Um, I have no clue who you think R24 is, but it ain't.

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 42October 8, 2021 10:42 PM

I always laugh at the fictional revisionism DL does.

by Anonymousreply 43October 8, 2021 10:43 PM

I’m not sure this will be successful. The original succeeded largely because of its writing and cast. It’s great that Rupp and Smith are returning. They’re huge assets. The Turners being involved is also a good sign. I don’t think that’s enough though. Topher Grace was very appealing as Eric. Can the show duplicate this?

by Anonymousreply 44October 8, 2021 10:55 PM

Every show's success is dependent on the cast's chemistry, r44.

by Anonymousreply 45October 8, 2021 11:06 PM

The original sucked after Eric left.

by Anonymousreply 46October 8, 2021 11:06 PM

R44 the original was also squarely placed in a time heralded as 'the good old days'. I honestly think more boomers watched that 70s Show than younger generations, although they did appeal to a wider demographic.

So instead of getting stoned are the teens going to be perpetually rolling or in a K hole, or will heroin take centerstage? Either way the nostalgia for the 90s is completely unlike the 70s.

Are they also going to have recurring visits to STD testing clinics too?

Bleak concept

by Anonymousreply 47October 8, 2021 11:12 PM

Ecstasy

by Anonymousreply 48October 8, 2021 11:25 PM

R47 You can just keep it pot, it's pretty universal for teens.

by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2021 12:47 AM

[Quote] This will be fun, but will it flop as bad as That 80s Show did?

That was my first thought lol

by Anonymousreply 50October 9, 2021 1:36 PM

You forget, the 90s is when young Gen X parents started making conscious decisions to raise their children differently than their Boomer parents. They birthed Millenials. I’m guessing this reboot is going to be about that, or that clash in parenting ideologies will figure prominently.

by Anonymousreply 51October 9, 2021 1:51 PM

Only here for Red and Kitty, inarguably the best thing about T70S. Also wondering what kid Donna and Eric managed to crank out. Hope it's not cringy though. I can see it being cringy.8

by Anonymousreply 52October 9, 2021 2:01 PM

^ Ok, but I'm not seeing a lot of "hilarity ensues" with that one

by Anonymousreply 53October 9, 2021 2:02 PM

No, R53, it’ll be a lot of “foot-in-ass” vs “but-my-feelings!” jokes. Just watch Full House to know what the 90s were about vs Red Forman.

by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2021 2:07 PM

TV was different by the later 90s, when That 70s Show premiered.

Early 90s had a lot of shows like Full House. By the later 90s they were dying off.

by Anonymousreply 55October 9, 2021 2:12 PM

[quote] Did the '90s really have a *look*?

Umm, could you BE more clueless R10?

(And there was also grunge)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 9, 2021 2:12 PM

"The Goldbergs" is basically "That '80s Show".

by Anonymousreply 57October 9, 2021 2:13 PM

I think this show will be fascinating for many DLers and will help ease them into the world, post-1987, The Year That Time Stopped for many of them.

by Anonymousreply 58October 9, 2021 2:13 PM

^ Ok, as long as I don't have to give up my luxurious '87 Lincoln Town Car

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 9, 2021 2:17 PM

The real surprise is it takes place in the 1890s

by Anonymousreply 60October 9, 2021 2:20 PM

^ Hey, I could get into a "Gay 90s" sitcom

by Anonymousreply 61October 9, 2021 2:23 PM

R58 but wouldn’t this be post 1987?

by Anonymousreply 62October 9, 2021 2:29 PM

@r56, the thing is if you saw that woman walking down the street today you wouldn't think anything of her. Unlike this 70s family

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 9, 2021 2:29 PM

The 90's most definitely had a look. How is that even been questioned..

The biggest WTF-ery is if it takes place in 1995 and Leia is a teen, I would imagine at least 15, that means Eric basically had to have knocked up Donna that same 1980 NYE night.

by Anonymousreply 64October 9, 2021 2:43 PM

[quote] That 80's show wasn't that bad, it was just marketed poorly.

There was also no thirst for the '80s yet in the late nineties -- it was too recent. It was all about '70s nostalgia. 1980s nostalgia did take off in a big way in the 2000s, and so I think these things cycle in 20-year increments.

by Anonymousreply 65October 11, 2021 7:33 AM

R63 is right. 90s fashions aren't identifiable by sight, except for Doc Martens.

In the 90s, the grunge style was jeans and flannel or a cardigan, which was adopted from the Pacific Northwest, where grunge music originated. The styles are probably best reflected in the episodes from the original run of Roseanne (Darlene, David, Becky). However, people who live in cold areas still wear those styles. Men started shaving their heads, and both young men and women got tattoos and body piercings. The tattoo / body piercing trend has continued since then.

If the show wants to emulate the 90s, all the teens can mope in the basement and try to one-up each other on how depressed they are. (All the grunge rock stars used to do that in the press until Kirk Cobain raised the ante. No one could compete with that.) Kids still do that, today, too, except now they have official diagnoses (ADHD, PTSD, Autism spectrum disorder).

Maybe they can land some cameos by Janeane Garofalo and Jewel. Maybe they can get Melissa Etheridge to sing the theme song.

by Anonymousreply 66October 12, 2021 3:01 PM

Bare midriff shirts, baby doll dresses under cut of jean shorts, frilly peasant blouses, blazers over tank tops and mom jeans, the comeback of the mini skirt, chokers, etc...have y'all NOT watched at least one episode of BH 90210?

With guys it's harder. Band t shirts, flannel, tight black t shirts and khakis. But there was a look, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 67October 12, 2021 3:46 PM

The cast has been announced

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 4, 2022 1:39 AM

I won't be watching this. That being said: a college classmate was Debra Jo Rupp's dresser in some New Jersey (I think?) summer stock about thirteen years ago, and said she was lovely.

Rupp & Smith are my favorites from "That 70s Show".

by Anonymousreply 69February 4, 2022 1:45 AM

No one asked for this.

by Anonymousreply 70February 4, 2022 2:42 AM

cast and plot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 4, 2022 3:05 AM

A re-make of "My Mother the Car" would beat it in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 72February 4, 2022 3:14 AM

Yellowjackets is doing 90s nostalgia perfectly. I hope they take notes.

by Anonymousreply 73February 4, 2022 3:29 AM

Unless those are all old pictures of them, it looks like they’ve cast kids who actually look like teenagers in the parts.

by Anonymousreply 74February 4, 2022 3:52 AM

[quote]That 80's show wasn't that bad, it was just marketed poorly.

No it was awful. While the That 70s Show was an ensemble show that happened to be set in the 70s.

The 80s show had a horrible cast and shoved every 80s cliche down your throats, getting most of them wrong

by Anonymousreply 75February 8, 2022 4:07 PM

I think the success of this will depend on how well the younger cast clicks. Smith and Rupp are great, but most of the focus will be on the kids. The original cast had chemistry in spades, even though not all were the greatest of actors.

by Anonymousreply 76February 8, 2022 4:33 PM

I hate reboots and spinoffs, why touch something as perfect as That 70s Show - at least until the final season. But Kitty and Red coming back tempts me, I agree they were the best thing about the original show.

by Anonymousreply 77February 8, 2022 4:37 PM

The success of "That '90s Show" will depend on the acceptability of "You don't want my foot to meet your ass" jokes in the Hays Code II days in which we are now living.

Let Red be Red, prissies.

by Anonymousreply 78February 8, 2022 4:44 PM

Spot on, R1.

That’s why I couldn’t get into Stranger Things.

There was the hugely compelling sci-fi story that (for me) got completely tripped up by the writers’s lame and clumsy reference attempts.

by Anonymousreply 79February 8, 2022 4:52 PM

Interesting how nobody’s mentioning Rap music.

Didn’t rap hit its stride in the 90s?

by Anonymousreply 80February 8, 2022 4:53 PM

According to IMDb, no Laura, Topher, Ashton, or Mila in the 10 episodes listed.

by Anonymousreply 81February 8, 2022 5:16 PM

r80

Yes it started to come into play. The 80s had few rap songs, notably "Rapture" by Blondie and "Buffalo Stance" by Neneh Cherry but by 1990 pop music was no longer dominated by rock and roll and "r&b" were making up the majority of the top 100

by Anonymousreply 82February 8, 2022 10:16 PM

Most of the younger cast are doing Guest Spots, minus Danny Masterson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83April 30, 2022 5:52 PM

I seriously thought Kurtwood Smith had died. I’m not sure why…

by Anonymousreply 84April 30, 2022 6:29 PM

R84 he’s in The Dropout on Hulu and the Firestarter remake.

He’s been busy.

by Anonymousreply 85April 30, 2022 6:33 PM

Too bad it’s on Netflix

by Anonymousreply 86April 30, 2022 6:41 PM

OMG it’s terrible!

by Anonymousreply 87January 24, 2023 12:39 AM

R81 Guess IMDB was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 88April 16, 2023 2:38 PM

Has anyone seen this show?

by Anonymousreply 89April 16, 2023 4:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!