Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The L Word Generation Q

Is anyone else watching?

by Anonymousreply 40March 24, 2023 9:53 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2021 10:01 AM

Is it just trans now?

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2021 10:35 AM

There’s more trans, Farsi, Rosie, alcoholic and differently abled representation. There’s about the same amount of Bette making terrible decisions while dressed fabulously.

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2021 11:02 AM

In other words, they ruined the L Word.

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2021 9:35 PM

Is it any good, Elder Lez? I haven't watched the new version at all, and know nothing about it really - except the trans stuff.

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2021 9:37 PM

It was always a camp fest of questionable quality with great clothes and attractive actresses. I think season 2 of Gen Q is better than season 1. And for sure the reboot seems less focused on attracting straight male viewers than the beginning seasons of the original L Word were.

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2021 9:42 PM

I just watched this latest season over the last few days. It took a little bit to get into it, but I did enjoy it in the end. As a gay man, I am still as in awe of Bette and Jennifer Beals as I ever was during the original series.

Some of the plot lines are a bit cliché and silly (like turning up to a wedding to tell the person getting married you love them etc), and I'm just not as interested in some of the new younger characters, but yeah, whenever Bette, Shane, Alice or Tina were on screen, I was happy and I've come around to many of the newer characters - particularly the older ones who interact more with the originals. I'm glad they gave Micah more to do this season, and I enjoyed Maribel.

I suppose what I'm really saying is I just don't care about Sophie and Finlay. Everyone else I can deal with.

I really found it interesting the choices the show has made to let things just be in some ways. Like the speaking of foreign languages. None it being subtitled. Interesting choice and I can respect it, even though as a total language geek, I want to know what they're saying too. I was lost with the Farsi, but because I speak Italian and French, the Spanish I could get most of at least.

And similarly, like I know we know about Micah being trans, but is Tess trans too and they're just not saying it? I respect that decision too. Additionally, I've thought a couple of the characters are clearly non neurotypical, and they just exist without it being a huge thing.

The actress playing Angie is very good, and she had a lot to do this season. I liked Alice being more explicitly bi again after all these years and they even address the problems the original series had with bisexuals (though an accurate portrayal of how many gay and straigh people treated it at the time).

I don't think I'll ever love this one the way I did the original, campy, ridiculous and gripping original series, but I'm still happy to see what's happening these days.

by Anonymousreply 7December 26, 2021 11:12 PM

More Dyke, Less Trans Reich!

by Anonymousreply 8December 26, 2021 11:14 PM

I also just assumed Tess was trans R7. If she isn’t trans, well she’s a very tall woman. I like the fact that they don’t make a big deal of it either. At a certain age it really shouldn’t be. Unlike Micah, who is young and establishing his identity. People need to let other people be.

How I wish I could be as cool and well dressed as Bette, but with much, much better judgement than she has.

Sepideh Moafi is so hot imho. She looks oddly like Emma Watson, if Emma were Iranian, older and much more attractive.

by Anonymousreply 9December 26, 2021 11:39 PM

[quote]How I wish I could be as cool and well dressed as Bette, but with much, much better judgement than she has.

Bette is one of those people I would just love to be in the orbit of, while probably being very intimidated by her too. I love that she still has these fuckups of judgment, very much in keeping with her character from the start. I love watching Jennifer whenever she's on screen.

[quote]Sepideh Moafi is so hot imho. She looks oddly like Emma Watson, if Emma were Iranian, older and much more attractive.

I really like Gigi. The other characters find her too much, and what I think is that she seems to be so open it can startle others. She loves openly, is honest, intense... she's one of the newer characters I enjoy seeing on screen too.

by Anonymousreply 10December 27, 2021 12:46 AM

Is Alice still nominally bisexual?

The only man I recall her dating identified as a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 11December 28, 2021 5:52 AM

She dated that Tom Cruise lookalike for a bit too. I think he was a reaction to Lisa (the lesbian identifying male) because she wanted something more traditionally masculine.

I can't remember anyone else. They even tried to make it seem later like it had been a phase or like something that Alice wouldn't go back to (or hang on, that may have been Tina, come to think of it, who is also bisexual).

by Anonymousreply 12December 28, 2021 7:51 AM

Bumpity bump.

Because sometimes you just want bad decisions made by Bette, not Putin.

by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2022 11:40 AM

Was this a worse reboot than And Just Like That?

by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2022 11:51 AM

I didn’t watch And Just Like That, but I am going to guess no.

by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2022 11:54 AM

Does it have this one in it?

The only one I care about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2022 11:58 AM

Yes R16! There is lots of Shane.

by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2022 12:04 PM

R16/R17 but she doesn't feel like herself, if that makes sense?

Katherine is playing Shane really weird and in a confused detached way, almost wrong, like she's forgotten the character (maybe she has) or she doesn't really want to reprise the role but needs the money/gig. Katherine's talented enough that it can't be a simple case of screwing up, and it's not like she isn't clean and professional either. Still, the energy and timing is so off, a strange off-putting vibe.

Or maybe it's the men in drag pretending to be female actresses & characters in the new cast that's throwing her off, idk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2022 8:30 PM

Did hey make Bette or Shane suck a shedick yet?

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2022 8:34 PM

Funny you bring this up - I just finished rewatching the first season last night. I did a recent rewatching of the OG, a show I've always enjoyed, even as ridiculous as it can be. I didn't intend to watch Generation Q again as I didn't remember enjoying it that much but I was surprised by how much I did enjoy it this time round (maybe being more familiar with the newer characters now). I'm mostly focused on the scenes with the OG cast, but I do like some of the new characters too. I think the actress playing Angie is great. I also really like Gigi and Tess.

I laughed so much with DL fave Roxane Gay turned up in the final episode. She actually came across really likable!

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2022 8:40 PM

R19 close enough...

Like this is a cross-dressed man and a butch woman making out. It's hetero albeit kinky content. Why is it front-and-center as a lovescene on a lesbian show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2022 8:41 PM

[quote]Sepideh Moafi is so hot imho

Gay guy here and I am really attracted (non-sexually) to her. She is one of those people I look at and think: "I want to be your friend". I also feel like that about Jennifer Beals too (though she seems more cold, whereas Moafi has a warmth about her). I guess I have a type, haha!

by Anonymousreply 22August 31, 2022 8:44 PM

Excluding several " very special episodes" the original series was mostly fun. An element mostly lacking in the woke reboot.

I don't know. Maybe that describes the Los Angeles lesbian scene now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2022 8:46 PM

[quote]the original series was mostly fun. An element mostly lacking in the woke reboot.

I do agree with this. The original is very "camp humour" in many ways, in a way I used to think only us gay males liked. It was kinda cool to see gay men and lesbians had that similar humour. Lots of fun references to gay and lesbian culture to find too.

by Anonymousreply 24August 31, 2022 8:50 PM

And awww, R23, that scene puts a huge smile on my face. Those scenes were so much fun, see also the Basketball scene, the line dancing scene, the 15 minute phone call that has nearly the entire cast coming in and out of (season 4, I think), the brownie party/I Want You Back, Dawn Denbo and her lover Cindi...

The show could be a real mess at times, but could also be VERY fun. I've said before, but as a gay man, I enjoyed The L Word a lot more than Queer as Folk.

by Anonymousreply 25August 31, 2022 8:55 PM

Anyone still watching Generation Q, the latest series? Did you see the most recent episode (4)? There was a bit of a surprise in it for fans of the original series. I wasn't expecting it.

But then half way through there was this whole conversations mentioning how "cis gay men" are the "worst". I was just thinking how much I was enjoying this show and then that happened, and I thought: "huh". I dunno, it's not like I was outraged or anything, and it's not a show for gay men, even though I've always enjoyed it myself, but it felt a bit "we're righting old wrongs by creating new wrongs" or something. I dunno, I guess it's not a huge deal but don't really have anyone else to mention this to.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2022 2:28 AM

They were smart to blend old and new cast members together. QAF should have done the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2022 2:33 AM

R27, it makes sense to keep calling it The L Word that way, while the Generation Q subtitle indicates to the audience it will be an update as well. I agree.

The new Queer as Folk could have been called anything and it wouldn't have mattered. Bringing back some of the old cast [italic]might[/italic] have helped, who knows? (Though it was kinda a terrible show all up).

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2022 2:41 AM

They had to add the “Generation Q” part because this is a completely new show that is legally distinct from the one Ilene Chaiken created back in the day. Can’t remember all the details, but Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig discussed it on their podcast.

by Anonymousreply 29December 10, 2022 3:00 AM

Oh interesting R29. I should listen to their podcast more, the only episodes I have listened to were the ones where they recapped the original series (1 and 2 so far). They made me laugh, especially when making fun of the character Marina (I get the impression no one on that show was very fond of Karina Lombard).

by Anonymousreply 30December 10, 2022 3:05 AM

[quote] But then half way through there was this whole conversations mentioning how "cis gay men" are the "worst". I was just thinking how much I was enjoying this show and then that happened, and I thought: "huh". I dunno, it's not like I was outraged or anything, and it's not a show for gay men, even though I've always enjoyed it myself, but it felt a bit "we're righting old wrongs by creating new wrongs" or something. I dunno, I guess it's not a huge deal but don't really have anyone else to mention this to.

r26 (It's your right to enjoy the show for other reasons, even if you are not a lesbian - or not a gay man when enjoying Queer as Folk) but what else have you expected when you watch the show titled Gen [bold]Q[/bold]? That alone signals that the showmakers and participants are zealous believers and propaganda spreaders of the queer cult. Even if the show hasn't spoken their agenda out loud until now for you to notice, for many years, almost everyone's been subjected to the queer/lgbtq+ cult's teaching that "cis gay men" are the "worst" indeed, according to the identity oppression hierarchy.

by Anonymousreply 31December 10, 2022 3:06 AM

Yeah, it's odd, R31, and I guess I just am not that well versed in what all this is about. I do enjoy the show, though a lot of it is nostalgia for the original which is much more fun and campier and came about at a really good time in my life.

The hierarchy thing is so silly when you are actually a gay man and know that this is not a position of privilege in society in any way. But then I guess most of us don't think like this day to day? I'm just trying to get through life as I suspect most of us G's, L's, T's whatever actually are. So it's odd when you come up to opinions like this from people who think about this stuff all the time.

by Anonymousreply 32December 10, 2022 3:13 AM

Oh, Elderlez, I just can't. I loved the original L Word. I actually liked it better than Queer as Folk to my boyfriend's annoyance. I really like the series, but stopped after the series ended. Controversial opinion, but Jenny Schechter was the most interesting person on that show follow by Shane.

by Anonymousreply 33December 10, 2022 7:35 AM

[quote]I actually liked it better than Queer as Folk to my boyfriend's annoyance. I really like the series, but stopped after the series ended. Controversial opinion, but Jenny Schechter was the most interesting person on that show follow by Shane.

I'm the same, though no boyfriend was annoyed, it was just that most gay men didn't get why I would watch it. As I said above, it had a better camp sensibility to me, plus more interesting characters and, I have to say, better acting from the likes of actors like Jennifer Beals and Mia Kirchner (Jenny) especially. I agree with you - Jenny was a fascinating character, and how Mia never won an Emmy I will never know. She did so much with the bizarre twists and turns the writers took on that show, but kept her performance centred around: "this woman is severley mentally ill" and it became so interesting to watch. You would get frustrated at Jenny and dislike her one minute, then feel sorry for her and want to hug her the next.

I think Mia gave up acting for humanitarian work and a desk job, but if she never does anything else, she should be proud of this.

by Anonymousreply 34December 10, 2022 8:00 AM

Oh I didn’t realize that season three was available now. Something to add to the to do list.

I guess I am in the minority that I found the whole Jenny thing (story and actress) annoying. But I did love the first series. There’s fun lesbian drama and then there was Jenny.

by Anonymousreply 35December 10, 2022 1:36 PM

Why would I watch this one? I didn't even like the first one.

The Brits do a much better job with lesbian TV shows than we do in the US. For example, if you want a laugh, watch Sugar Rush (link below) -- I guarantee you'll love it. For L Word-style drama, try Lip Service. A lesbian IRL, Heather Peace, was hotter on that show than Shane will ever be. And yes, I know these shows are old. So am I -- so sue me.

BTW, I remember an episode of Law and Order (Season 12 -- I looked it up for ya) where Kate Moennig was a guest star. IMO, she's not a great actress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36December 10, 2022 3:02 PM

I remember Lip Service, and I remember enjoying it, though it just kinda petered out... most of the actors left in the second season, we had new characters and then it just ended.

by Anonymousreply 37December 10, 2022 6:37 PM

Alice deserves her own show.

by Anonymousreply 38March 18, 2023 3:38 AM

Cancelled after three seasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 24, 2023 6:16 AM

It deserved to get canceled for the comment R26 referred to and the nastiness towards Alice at the end. It was great to see Max. It was nice that Shane apologized to Max. Why the need to kick the people closest to you?

It was also wonderful to see Dana. I did not recognize her at first.

Oooohhh New York. I hope it happens.

by Anonymousreply 40March 24, 2023 9:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!