Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

All These Years I Thought Harvey Korman was in Young Frankenstein

I have not watched Young Frankenstein in many, many years.

As I was watching the opening credits, I remembered crazy Gene Wilder, deadpan Peter Boyle, hilarious Marty Feldman, Frau Cloris Leachman, Terri Garr, English-German Richard Haydn, the incomparable Madeline Kahn, and Kenneth Mars (????!!!)

All of these years I swore Harvey Korman was Inspector Kemp but it was Kenneth Mars.

Korman would have been better....

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2021 3:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2021 3:03 AM

You got that movie mixed up with Blazing Saddles, is all.

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2021 3:17 AM

And Gene Hackman's cameo as the hermit!

From the book "Young Frankenstein, the making of the film", by Mel Brooks:

Kenneth Mars’s Inspector Kemp, with his creaky wooden arm, was a takeoff on Lionel Atwill’s intense, one-armed inspector in the 1939 Son of Frankenstein. Kenny was great, but he could be crazy. Fortunately, I knew how to handle him. When we were making The Producers I kept begging him to keep the German accent, but make it hearable. Let us understand it. Because the gibberish, the audience couldn’t understand. During Young Frankenstein, when he says, “Ve had better confeerm duh fact that yunk Frankenstein is indeed vollowing in his grandvather’s vootsteps!” I have the entire village say, “What?!” so we got a joke out of Kenny’s impenetrable dialogue.

Kenny Mars was a made-in-heaven choice to play Inspector Kemp. The dartboard scene was so hilarious, I had to shoot it four times before the crew finally stopped laughing and we could get a usable take.

KENNETH MARS ON GETTING THE ROLE I was up in Buffalo, New York, doing a play in the winter, and the snow was up to my thigh, truly. And Mel called at half hour [before curtain], he said, “What are you doing in Buffalo?” I said, “Nome was too warm.” He says, “OK, OK. Listen. You’re wearing an eyepatch… and on top of the eye patch, on top of the eye patch you’ve got a monocle. Is that too much?” And I said, “No, Mel, that is not too much.” He says, “Good! You got the part!” And that’s how I got the part in Young Frankenstein.

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2021 3:36 AM

“I Thought Harvey Korman was in Young Frankenstein”

Neigh!!

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2021 3:49 AM

On no planet was Harvey Kerman ever better than Kenneth Mars

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2021 4:15 AM

R5 Why do you say that? Korman is a very talented actor.

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2021 3:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!