Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Singer Sue Thompson is DEAD to me!

Blond, vivacious Sue Thompson made a big splash on the charts in the 1960's. Her biggest hit was the bouncy, popular "Norman" as well as "Sad Movies (Always Make Me Cry." Prolific songwriter back in the day John D. Loudermilk wrote all her big hits including "James (Hold The Ladder Steady)" and "Paper Tiger." She lived to the ripe old age of 96! Do you remember Sue Thompson and her music?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2021 3:18 AM

Here's Sue........!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2021 2:57 AM

Songwriter John D. Loudermilk who wrote all her big hits and many others including the massive #1 hit "Indian Reservation" by The Raiders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2021 3:04 AM

96 years old? So back in the 1960s she was already an oldster.

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2021 3:09 AM

Celia Rubinstein was a friend to all mankind……

WHO??!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2021 3:13 AM

R4 If you know anything about music, Sue Thompson, that's who!!!!! A bouncy, good singer from the 1960's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2021 3:16 AM

I grew up on oldies and classic country in my home, and I have never heard of this artist.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2021 3:41 AM

R6 She had a few novelty song hits in the early 60s and was quickly forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2021 3:48 AM

As kids, my older sister and I had a little cassette tape recorder that we would play around with, doing stupid stuff.

I remember one day we were playing with the tape recorder and suddenly she started singing this song I'd never heard.

It went "he said he had to work, so I went to the show alone. They turned off the lights and turned the projector on. And just as the News of the World was about to begin, I saw my darling and my best friend walk in. Sad movies, always make me cry..."

I have no idea where she learned this song. I'd never heard it on the radio (and I never heard it later in life either). My guess is that one of her friends must have had the record and played it for her. Something about the song, and the fact that I had no idea where it came from, stuck with me.

Decades later, as an adult, I learned it was an early 60's hit by somebody named Sue Thompson. When I heard the actual recorded version, I was surprised at how "country" it was. Anyway, she was apparently one of those nondescript, drippy, young white female singers that permeated the airwaves prior to the British Invasion: Skeeter Davis, Little Peggy March, Dodie Stevens, etc.

I'm surprised to learn she had other hits. I've never heard any of them.

Anyway, R.I.P.

That is the extent of my Sue Thompson knowledge and experience.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2021 4:30 AM

Love Sue Thompson! In better times I would have lain with her in a field of stone. Norman was my jam! My Mom didn't care for Sad Movies, but I spun the shit out of that 45. Paper Tiger was adorable. As previously noted, she was long in the tooth to be singing such records, but she sold them expertly. I think she was the voice of Chicken of the Sea tuna for many years.

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2021 4:33 AM

R9 Yup!! "Norman" was one of those catchy songs that you couldn't help but like!!

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2021 5:00 AM

Sue Thompson in later years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2021 5:09 AM

She was cute back in the day with her expressive voice and bouncy pop songs then moved into Country Music.

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2021 3:15 AM

Later in her Country days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2021 3:18 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!