Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is squid game homophobic?

Are those VIPs all white elder gays ?

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 7:37 PM

The fact that there’s even a mention of a gay character in a Korean show is almost unheard of, maybe because it’s Netflix-made they’ve included it, as well as a Pakistani character. I thought the show was great until all those white VIPs came into it, their acting is atrocious!

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2021 5:45 PM

Screechingly so, yes. The VIPs started out so ridiculous, I wondered if they had Korean actors behind the masks and some random voice actors from Oklahoma doing the dialogue. Then they flipped a rainbow switch and all the VIPs turned into lobotomized versions of Boys in the Band characters. You've got a six episode set up of the evils of capitalism and then the Gay mafia is revealed as the real villains. Bonus naked fat guy.

It's offensive enough that I'm not sure I will finish the series. I've got two episodes left. I assume the Front Man is the cop's brother or some other such nonsense. Please spoiler away!

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2021 6:46 AM

The appearance of the shiny raver masks was where this went south for me. But if I had to pick one I’d choose the one that looks like Gonzo.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2021 12:23 PM

I thought the VIPs were very gay, too! I also noticed they were all British or American.

The correction of Congreve over Shakespeare was the defining gay moment. More so than the old man offering to be the waiter's sugar daddy.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 7:11 PM

No, it's not homophobic. They're mostly just loudmouth Americans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 7:13 PM

Of course the VIPs were white gays. Koreans don’t like to admit that there are gay Koreans, a significant percentage of South Koreans are evangelical Christians. It carries over into society and culture. As someone who had spent time in both Japan and South Korea, I’d say the former is more relaxed/ neutral about homosexuality while the latter is more prejudiced on whole as a society.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 7:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!