Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Daniel Craig said he had no idea him introducing The Weeknd on 'SNL' had become a viral meme

For over a year, the internet has enjoyed the Friday ritual of posting Daniel Craig introducing The Weeknd on "Saturday Night Live" as the unofficial end of the workweek.

But Craig was completely unaware any of this was happening.

In a recent New York Times interview, the James Bond star was perplexed when the reporter David Itzkoff brought it up.

It happened to be a Friday when they talked, and Itzkoff asked Craig if he was aware that through the day his declaration would fill up countless social feeds.

"No, what is that?" Craig asked.

Itzkoff then explained that his introduction of The Weeknd "with almost a sense of relief," specifically the words "ladies and gentleman, The Weeknd," had become a late-Friday viral sensation.

"They do? It's amazing," Craig said. "I don't know what that is, but thank you. That's lovely. I suppose I'd have to have social media to know what that was all about."

When you've been James Bond for as many years as Craig has, you may not dare to go on social media for the simple reason of wanting to avoid reading about yourself.

The "SNL" clip of Craig became a sensation months after the actor hosted the show when the Twitter account @CraigWeekend was created in July 2020. With the Twitter name simply "ladies and gentlemen, the weekend," it quickly went viral, as the tweet goes out every Friday afternoon.

The account was created by the then-18-year-old high-school senior Miles Riehle, who told the Los Angeles Times in April that he wasn't really a fan of Craig or The Weeknd, adding: "It's a silly four-second video, I don't think it's anything bigger than that."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 2, 2021 11:47 PM

I never realized it was a meme, either.

by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2021 12:38 AM

Never heard of this meme…

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2021 12:55 AM

What's a weekend?

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2021 8:57 AM

It turns up in my Twitter feed every Friday.

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2021 9:02 AM

It’s this clip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2021 9:06 AM

The full clip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2021 9:10 AM

I'm unaware as well

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2021 1:04 PM

Why is this a thread? Or an article for that matter? Or even anything at all?

Someone should write an article about the interview about the meme? Really? This happened?

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2021 1:22 PM

What’s worse is that someone thought, “let’s have a thread about the article about the interview about the meme”

Sigh.

What’s next, a book? A screenplay? Tv spin-off of the movie? How about a franchise. Perhaps a duplicate thread?

by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2021 1:25 PM

Actors are frequently asked about memes they've ended up in. It's a standard interview question these days.

Being willfully out of touch doesn't make you cool or smart.

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2021 1:30 PM

I had no idea Daniel Craig ever hosted SNL.

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2021 1:30 PM

[quote] "They do? It's amazing," Craig said. "I don't know what that is, but thank you. That's lovely. I suppose I'd have to have social media to know what that was all about."

Awwww, he sounds so cute!

A bit dithering (like an old man), but still cute.

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2021 1:31 PM

Social media has a lot of negative aspects, R12. If you can live without the benefits, why not? I sometimes wish I didn't even look at (gasp) DL.

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2021 1:40 PM

slllllloooooow news day

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2021 1:46 PM

There are a lot of people like Craig that do not use social media at all and would never do so. It would be seen as a red flag to have an Instagram page.

Only mentally unstable people disclose their private lives, millions of sick individuals have become partially digital humans and must post every waking move. They have merged their brains with the technology.

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2021 1:47 PM

I agree that he sounds cute and appreciative despite not really understanding what social media is, and it's far more refreshing to read something like that than it is to read "I'm better than you because I ignore social media and popular culture" kinds of comments.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2021 1:49 PM

[quote]Only mentally unstable people disclose their private lives, millions of sick individuals have become partially digital humans and must post every waking move. They have merged their brains with the technology.

You're trying too hard for those sweet, sweet angry replies, R15, but I'll give you a couple of bonus points for the florid 1970s trashy sci-fi paperback prose.

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2021 1:50 PM

This is news to me too

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2021 1:53 PM

Guess what?

Ladies and gentlemen... The Weeknd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2021 2:03 PM

Even Anakin and Padme are in on the action!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2021 2:04 PM

Then there's, "Ladies and Gentlemen... Monday morning."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2021 2:04 PM

People need to volunteer or get into citizen journalism if they have this much free time.

by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2021 2:11 PM

[quote] People need to volunteer or get into citizen journalism if they have this much free time.

It's a meme, R22.

And memes are spread all over the internet by millions of people every day.

Get a life.

We all need a little silliness in our lives now and again.

Not everyone is as boring as you.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2021 2:15 PM

I watched the clip & didn’t see/hear the ‘relief’ that it was the weekend, when he introduces “The Weaknd.” It seemed more like someone introducing an act they don’t know, don’t care to know about and maybe thinks the singer’s stage name is dumb.

But, then that is how I feel about “The Weaknd” so maybe it’s just me.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2021 2:34 PM

That's what I thought too, R24.

Seems like Daniel had no clue who The Weeknd was, when introducing him.

Which makes sense. Different generations, etc.

That said, I love The Weeknd.

by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2021 2:38 PM

I sense some Generational Gap on this thread

by Anonymousreply 26October 2, 2021 11:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!