Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)

A reminder....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 26, 2021 6:32 AM

A reminder of how bad an actor Burt Lancaster could be?

by Anonymousreply 1September 23, 2021 3:49 AM

Judy was ROBBED!

by Anonymousreply 2September 23, 2021 3:52 AM

Didn't I read somewhere that Lancaster was a late substitute for Olivier, who couldn't do the movie for some reason?

by Anonymousreply 3September 23, 2021 3:53 AM

This was the film that the infamous British "Moors Murderers" Ian Brady and Myra Hindley saw on their first date.

by Anonymousreply 4September 23, 2021 3:09 PM

Monty and Judy in the same movie -- gay icon overload!

by Anonymousreply 5September 23, 2021 4:12 PM

Love dat Monty Meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 6September 23, 2021 4:14 PM

It’s a good movie. Sort of hits you over the head with a hammer. But that’s typical Stanley Kramer.

Should be seen in a double bill with Kramer’s other piece about Cynical-Nazis-Going-Straight-to-Hell, “Ship of Fools.”

That way you get Before and After.

by Anonymousreply 7September 23, 2021 5:46 PM

The finest film ever, I think. It slips into melodrama, but it has serious things to say, and it says them well.

by Anonymousreply 8September 23, 2021 5:50 PM

Interesting that both Lead Actor Oscars that year went to foreign performers, and both from Axis countries.

by Anonymousreply 9September 23, 2021 6:04 PM

[Quote]Monty and Judy in the same movie -- gay icon overload!

And MARLENE. Plus Maximilian Schell who was HAF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 23, 2021 10:56 PM

As much as I love Max Schell in the film I have never really understood what was Oscar-worthy about his performance. I suspect he won so the voters could give the film one major Oscar acknowledgement they didn't need to give to West Side Story.

Judy and Monty were both robbed of their Oscars here, especially Monty. Great dancer, but did George Chakiris have even one scene in WSS where he actually acted?

by Anonymousreply 11September 23, 2021 11:05 PM

Such a good film! I have not seen it in years.

by Anonymousreply 12September 23, 2021 11:07 PM

Why do you suppose Maximilian Schell never had much of a follow up in his career? Or did he and I missed it? He certainly had the talent and looks to be a huge star in the 1960s. I wonder if he just wasn't very ambitious or had a great disdain for Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 13September 23, 2021 11:07 PM

MS loathed Hollywood like most European actors. He had a marvelous career. Worked right up until his death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2021 3:35 AM

R13, Max Schell was Oscar nominated 2 more times, for The Man in the Glass Booth (1975) and Julia (1977), and appeared in several other popular films like Topkapi, A Bridge Too Far, Counterpoint, The Odessa File, etc. But I think because of his background/accent, Hollywood opportunities were limited to WW2/Nazi/Cold War Espionage-related stuff, so he took on more character roles in order to avoid the typecasting rut. He also seemed to find more interest in writing, producing, directing.

by Anonymousreply 15September 24, 2021 7:02 AM

His Marlene documentary is great IMO. Available to rent at Amazon Prime

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 24, 2021 7:22 AM

S Hell was charming, paired with BD Wong in “The Freshman.”

by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2021 1:09 PM

I remember that Max was in a 1968 film called KRAKATOA: EAST OF JAVA. I've never seen it, but I think it got bad reviews, and I never hear anyone speak of it. I just checked and it is available for streaming.

by Anonymousreply 18September 24, 2021 2:29 PM

KRAKATOA EAST OF JAVA was a laughable mess in its day, and is still regarded as such. Hammy acting, cheapo special effects, and dull writing continue to help make it an enduring struggle to watch.

And, to top it off, Krakatoa is actually WEST of Java, which everybody pointed out at the time….

by Anonymousreply 19September 24, 2021 4:03 PM

R19: Ha!! Yes, I remember reading about the east/west confusion. How the hell did they ever manage to make a huge, stupid mistake like that?

by Anonymousreply 20September 24, 2021 4:26 PM

I post this annually to remind people of what can happen if you remain apathetic to what is happening around you. "Where were we?" "What was a passing phase had become the way of life."

by Anonymousreply 21September 24, 2021 4:37 PM

Exactly, r21. Frustrating that Judgment at Nuremberg isn't currently available on any of the streaming services. It's a must-watch these days.

by Anonymousreply 22September 24, 2021 4:47 PM

The indifference here is appalling, R21 OP. Thank you for trying.

Perhaps they think the Resistance will have a YouTube channel.😢

by Anonymousreply 23September 24, 2021 4:48 PM

Max's sister Maria Schell was a leading star of German cinema and was given and the big movie star build-up in Hollywood pictures, but I don't think she's as remembered today as her little brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 24, 2021 4:50 PM

Max also made a documentary about his sister Maria and like his doc on Marlene, it's very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 24, 2021 4:57 PM

Whenever I watch Burt Lancaster do an emotionally powerful scene, I'm never quite convinced that he's a good enough actor to pull it off. I'm sure he expected Oscar gold for his performance in Judgment at Nuremberg, but he was left off all the major awards list.

by Anonymousreply 26September 24, 2021 4:58 PM

[quote]I'm never quite convinced that he [bold]was[/bold] a good enough actor to pull it off.

Correcting myself.

by Anonymousreply 27September 24, 2021 5:04 PM

Max and Maria Schell (Swiss) both loathed Hollywood, but like most European actors they liked appearing in American films shot in Europe ($$$), many of them at Cinecitta studios in Rome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 24, 2021 7:16 PM

This film was a major influence in my life, and I still think it's excellent.

My dad was stationed in Germany in the early 60s, and we went to the first playing at the base theater. Our next break from school was a trip to Dachau, then to Buchenwald.

He was in the occupation forces at the end of WWII, and wanted us to understand why such devestation should never happen again.

by Anonymousreply 29September 24, 2021 8:55 PM

My grandfather's brother testified at Nuremburg. He was a non-Jewish political prisoner who spent 4 years in various camps. It's a miracle he survived. His story is fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 30September 24, 2021 9:05 PM

What is never mentioned anymore is that this film was originally a roadshow presentation, with reserved seats, and Overture/Intermission/Entr’acte and Exit music. Not to mention a souvenir program, and a soundtrack release, both of which, for those who are interested, can be found fairly reasonably on E-Bay.

by Anonymousreply 31September 24, 2021 9:37 PM

The 1961 film was an adaptation of a Playhouse 90 teleplay that aired live on CBS in 1959. That one also starred Maximilian Schell as the defense attorney, so it was a dress rehearsal of sorts for his Oscar-winning movie performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 24, 2021 9:52 PM

this graphic is one of the great ad campaigns of the era

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 24, 2021 9:59 PM

^^ fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 34September 24, 2021 10:02 PM

My parents took me to see this when I was 9 or 10. The Nazi story was being revealed throughout the 1950s and '60s and I was fascinated with it. My mother's father was from Austria and would not allow German to be spoken in his home, and I was curious.

I found it very believable that the Nazis had done to Monty's character what he described. Maximilan Schell was so beautiful, so boy-bonerlicious. But he looked so Jewish, I couldn't wrap my 10-year-old mind around the fact that he hadn't ended up in a concentration camp.

by Anonymousreply 35September 24, 2021 10:18 PM

R35 Did you think Max looked Jewish?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 24, 2021 10:26 PM

At least Maximilian Schell got to cuckold Steve McQueen with the wife who actually cared about Steve

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 24, 2021 10:31 PM

[quote] It hits you over the head with a hammer. But that’s typical Stanley Kramer.

Yes, portentous preaching.

Stark Black and White.

Glum.

With Endless Talk trapped in one set.

Stanley has been hitting us over the head for two hours and then wheels on two carnival cameo appearances from two vey damaged individuals which tips the ordeal into farce,

by Anonymousreply 38September 24, 2021 10:35 PM

^^ perhaps you'd prefer a musical adaptation?

by Anonymousreply 39September 24, 2021 10:43 PM

It's a festival of noses.

Beaky noses, straight noses, and retroussé.

But they're all facing in the one direction. Shouldn't the Americans ('the goodies') be facing to the right and the Germans ('the baddies') be facing left?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 24, 2021 10:43 PM

I was actually a lowly intern on the Broadway version of this film in 2000. I thought it was a fabulous production though, admittedly, I may have been too close to be objective. We didn't run long, I can't remember what the reviews were like but I imagine not stellar for whatever reasons.

Max Schell was in it but he played the Burt Lancaster role. I remember him as a towering courtly figure, silver-haired by then (I guess he was around 70?) and very courteous and respectful to one and all, even if he never quite learned everyone's names.. He arrived a few days late from Europe and was suffering from a bad cold or bronchitis or something throughout rehearsals but delivered by opening. Marthe Keller (Swiss movie star who was a former flame of Al Pacino) played the Dietrich role and George Grizzard was the judge (Spencer Tracy in the film). Michael Hayden (Billy Bigelow from the Lincoln Center Carousel) played Max's original role and Robert Foxworth played the Richard Widmark role . The Monty and Judy roles were played by young actors. A great memory for me!

by Anonymousreply 41September 24, 2021 10:44 PM

Did Max play Ming the Merciless in the Flash Gordon movie in the late 70s or 80s?

Dear god I had the biggest crush on the guy who played Flash. I think he was the subject of my first wet dream.

by Anonymousreply 42September 24, 2021 10:45 PM

[quote] I remember him as a towering courtly figure

Max was so handsome but I'm confused at how tall he was. He looked to be short compared to Richard Beymer in this film—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 24, 2021 10:49 PM

R41. Wonderful story. Maximilian Schell seems quite gentlemanly in the Marlene doc in which M gives him mucho mierda.

by Anonymousreply 44September 24, 2021 10:51 PM

R44 He had to be 'gentlemanly' to Marlene because she was highly likely to shut down the film if he didn't kowtow to her demands.

It's hardly a 'film' when she refused to be shown on camera. He wasn't even allowed to film her hands or show her in sillhouette. Marlene had turned into Miss Havisham

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 24, 2021 10:55 PM

Eldergay Alert!

I can remember having seen this one on the 4:30 movie on WABC Channel 7. Had never heard of the Holocaust at that age, but it was on in the background while I cooked up Creepy Crawlers. My one specific memory of the film was the song Du Du Licht Mir in Herzen (sorry for spelling).

by Anonymousreply 46September 24, 2021 10:58 PM

r43, Max may literally not have been terribly tall (though I'd swear he was at least 5'11") but his presence in the room definitely was "towering."

His Marlene doc is fascinating and extraordinary, perhaps even more so because she's so uncooperative!

by Anonymousreply 47September 24, 2021 10:58 PM

My twink ass would have cruised Maximilian so hard he would have felt compelled to nail me to the cross.

by Anonymousreply 48September 24, 2021 11:05 PM

[quote] A reminder of how bad an actor Burt Lancaster could be

Suppose I should be pleased when an uber-virile grinning American millionaire producer patronises English and European directors and writers (such as Visconti and Rattigan).

But I bristle when he PRETENDS to be European (as in the Visconti films). And I bristle when he pretends to suppress his much-advertised virility by playing an old man ('Birdman of Alcatraz' and 'Judgement')

by Anonymousreply 49September 24, 2021 11:09 PM

[quote] hits you over the head with a hammer

I never choose to watch this on TV even though it has 4 or 5 interesting stars in it.

Kramer hits us over the head with a hammer but it’s even more painful when interrupted by lively color advertisements.

I'm trying to remember if the Dietrich character is essential to the story? Or whether she's just another guest star cameo like Clift and Garland?

by Anonymousreply 50September 24, 2021 11:20 PM

[quote] perhaps you'd prefer a musical adaptation?

It worked nicely for Gone With the Wind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 24, 2021 11:20 PM

R50, she’s a love interest for Tracy. Her character could be removed without disrupting the story.

by Anonymousreply 52September 24, 2021 11:30 PM

R42 No, Schell was not Ming. It was Max von Sydow

by Anonymousreply 53September 24, 2021 11:48 PM

Hot at every age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 25, 2021 12:05 AM

The Dietrich character is not a love interest for Tracy. IIRC she plays an impoverished aristocrat who hosts Tracy to tea and begs him to understand that she and those of her class were helpless in stopping the rise of Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 55September 25, 2021 12:22 AM

I saw that at the Paris, r16. Here he is in Five Finger exercise with Roz...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 25, 2021 12:41 AM

She’s all that r55, and a love interest. It’s implied that they are growing romantically fond of each other.

by Anonymousreply 57September 25, 2021 12:57 AM

Dietrich played a widow whose husband, a Nazi general, was executed by the Allies for war crimes. Marlene supposedly was so sickened by her character's line about how the German people were not aware of the Nazi atrocities that she didn't think she could go through with it. Her daughter, Maria, advised her to simply think of her mother. So Marlene played the part as if she were dear old Mutter.

by Anonymousreply 58September 25, 2021 1:30 AM

R7 I don't think I'd like to sit next to Kramer at a dinner party. I suspect he's talk loudly and for for too long. I doubt he'd be capable of dialogue, subtlety or humor.

by Anonymousreply 59September 25, 2021 1:48 AM

Kramer fell into the David Lean Syndrome of being unable to make a short movie.

And the Otto Preminger Syndrome of cramming too many box-office names into small movie.

I do wonder if Stanley Kramer is the precursor to Steven Spielberg? — I don't know, I've been avoiding Spielberg's stuff for 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 60September 25, 2021 1:55 AM

Schell also directed feature films (as well as the documentaries already mentioned) and theater and opera productions. He worked with Leonard Bernstein on TV programs and concerts about Beethoven's life and music. He had something cooking on a lot of burners.

by Anonymousreply 61September 25, 2021 2:02 AM

I think Joanie slipped him her digits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 25, 2021 2:21 AM

And Max was marveling at her youthful and delicate décollatage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 25, 2021 2:23 AM

^ He is utterly gorgeous.

I liked it when he beached his hair blond.

by Anonymousreply 64September 25, 2021 2:24 AM

Blond

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 25, 2021 2:26 AM

Sideburns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 25, 2021 2:26 AM

Though I love the photos of Max, Joan Crawford and the Oscar, I'm a bit confused. I believe he presented her with Anne Bancroft's Oscar when Miss Bancroft couldn't be present at the ceremony, but my old crumbling mind seems to remember Joan wearing a sparkling rhinestone gown at the event, not that simple black frock seen in r62 and r63. Am I misremembering?

by Anonymousreply 67September 25, 2021 2:33 AM

Watching Kramer film like this and thinking it is too melodramatic and doesn't hold up.... is like complaining Noh Theater isn't realistic. Although black and white in an era of color, it wasn't neo-realism or new wave. It was Morality Play.

And Lancaster... was so incredibly over the top and bad he was sometimes good. The large gesture... the teeth that ate the Universe. A hoot, a trickster, a cartoon.... a star.

by Anonymousreply 68September 25, 2021 2:42 AM

R67, You're not misremembering. Max did indeed present Joan with Anne's Oscar. The above photos were drom the previous year when Max won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 25, 2021 2:45 AM

*from

by Anonymousreply 70September 25, 2021 2:45 AM

Wow, r69! So Joan had 2 Oscar moments with Max? He should have made a documentary about her.

by Anonymousreply 71September 25, 2021 2:47 AM

^ But Joan wouldn't have allowed Max to film her sad, wrinkled face and liver-spotted hands.

by Anonymousreply 72September 25, 2021 2:50 AM

"Why is Mildred Pierce grabbing my ass?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 25, 2021 3:00 AM

In a Elizabeth Taylor bio pic I was surprised to learn that Elizabeth named her daughter Maria after "my friend Maria Schell.". This surprised me. Where did these two become so close?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 25, 2021 3:24 AM

Liz may have met Maria Schell when they were doing Raintree County and the awful The Brothers Karamazov on the Metro lot in 1958.

Maria had a very heavy jawline which she tried to hide by smiling constantly. Her constant smiling in every film became extremely irritating regardless of the mood of the scene.

Though she did have an unhappy end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 25, 2021 3:36 AM

R74, Maria Burton was adopted from Augsburg, Germany, and arranged by Maria Schell, or rather, Schell's private secretary.

by Anonymousreply 76September 25, 2021 3:36 AM

What I want to know is whether Judy sat in that old man’s lap!

by Anonymousreply 77September 25, 2021 3:52 AM

Maria Schell was on the cover of "Time" in 1957. She and Taylor were both much-photographed at the Cannes Film Festival that year too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 25, 2021 3:54 AM

How could Swiss Maria help with an adoption in Germany? These two don't seem like natural friends as the Schells were considered intellectuals.

by Anonymousreply 79September 25, 2021 4:02 AM

Elizabeth Taylor and Maria Schell had the same agent, Kurt Frings. Taylor and Eddie Fisher flew to Germany to meet with Maria Schell, who would assist them in adopting a German orphan. But by the time the adoption was finalized, Taylor had left Fisher for Burton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 25, 2021 4:16 AM

I wonder why Liz wanted a German orphan?

by Anonymousreply 81September 25, 2021 4:31 AM

[quote]What I want to know is whether Judy sat in that old man’s lap!

S-s-s-stop it...STOP IT!

by Anonymousreply 82September 25, 2021 6:15 AM

R81, because the Romanian ones were all taken.

by Anonymousreply 83September 25, 2021 6:25 AM

Eddie Fisher said he and Taylor first tried to adopt a boy (whom Elizabeth named Alexander) in Greece, but their application was eventually refused because they were Jewish. They returned to Rome, where Taylor was filming "Cleopatra", and `their friend Maria (who was was living in Munich at the time, not Switzerland) helped them find the girl in Germany. And in 1964 Fisher and Maria had an affair in Paris, where she was playing the title role in Somerset Maugham's play, "Caroline". Fisher said, "Maria was one of the few women who had something nice to say about me once our romance was over."

by Anonymousreply 84September 25, 2021 6:39 AM

R81, Darfur orphans weren't yet in vogue.

by Anonymousreply 85September 25, 2021 11:43 AM

Can I just say: how weird that Elizabeth, who already had three young children of her own, felt a need to adopt another. I wonder if it somehow had to do with trying to "legitimize" her marriage to Eddie without having to go through another pregnancy?

by Anonymousreply 86September 25, 2021 1:31 PM

R86, According to Kitty Kelley, Eddie found out about Elizabeth's quickie affair with writer Max Lerner and confronted her about it. To show him that her love for him was rock solid and to cement their marriage, she wanted to have his baby, but she had her tubes tied after having Liza. According to a "friend," Elizabeth was not exactly the mothering type: "She likes babies, puppies, and kittens, and doesn't always diffentiate among them. They're all pets to her."

by Anonymousreply 87September 25, 2021 2:30 PM

Now that sounds like the Elizabeth we know, r87.

by Anonymousreply 88September 25, 2021 6:51 PM

Marlon Brando supposedly wanted the part of Hans Rolfe, the defense attorney, and reached out to Stanley Kramer and screenwriter Abby Mann. They initially entertained the idea of casting Brando, but ultimately decided to stick with the lesser known Maximilian Schell because he did a smash-up job playing the part in the Playhouse 90 TV version. Brando and Schell had previously acted together, playing Nazi soldiers in "The Young Lions" (1958), with Monty Clift.

When Schell won the Oscar for Best Actor, he became the lowest-billed lead category winner in history, ranked fifth, after Richard Widmark and Dietrich, whose roles were secondary to the leads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 25, 2021 7:10 PM

I know that it’s a preachy film in that Stanley Kramer way, but I still watch it whenever it’s on—I find it powerful and love the acting. I am surprised by all the hate for Lancaster—I thought he was fairly restrained here. Tracy has some of the most thankless dialogue—he has to be Mann’s “Porte parole”—the character who speaks for the author and it gets tiresome. I think both Clift and Garland should have won Oscars—neither Chakiris’ nor Moreno’s performances have any depth to them, but since they were the only nominees from WSS, they were part of the sweep (and neither Wood nor Beymer deserved to be nominated).

BTW, the father of lesbian left-wing radio host Stephanie Miller was one of the judges at the actual trials (as well as being Goldwater’s running mate in 1964).

by Anonymousreply 90September 25, 2021 8:12 PM

I like the scene where Dietrich’s character tells Tracy that she didn’t know about the death camps and Tracy replied with something like, it seems nobody knew anything. He shouts dien her character’s claim that she and Lancaster’s character were good Germans.

by Anonymousreply 91September 25, 2021 9:56 PM

[quote] I know that it’s a preachy film

[quote] It was Morality Play.

It has so little entertainment value that you never want to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 92September 25, 2021 11:01 PM

[quote] They initially entertained the idea of casting Brando

That would have been a mistake.

Brando started going nutty after he spent time in Japan in '57. He was erratic and Kramer would not have been able to control him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 25, 2021 11:31 PM

In the end it really is an ensemble film and Brando in that particular role would have unbalanced that unnecessarily. I probably need to rewatch the film but I'm really surprised Schell wasn't nominated for Supporting, though I guess they didn't want him competing in the same category as Monty.

by Anonymousreply 94September 26, 2021 2:35 AM

When people criticize Stanley Kramer's films as being heavy-handed, I think they're confusing content with style. I haven't seen JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG in years, so I won't comment on that one specifically, but I have recently re-watched INHERIT THE WIND several times. I think it hold up beautifully, and I can't imagine how or why someone would make a "subtle" film about the Scopes trial or the Holocaust. And if someone tried to do so, I think the film would be ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 95September 26, 2021 2:37 AM

"Inherit the Wind" had entertainment value because we could laugh at how stupid Southerners are.

But I've forgotten if Kramer was pushing some morality onto us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 26, 2021 2:41 AM

R96, the "morality" that's "pushed" in INHERIT THE WIND is the idea that religion should not hold sway over science and education. All of that is in the script, and as I noted in my earlier post, to downplay it or try to get the message across in a "subtle" way would have been ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 97September 26, 2021 2:59 AM

Marlene is so powerful in her last scene sitting silently while watching the phone ring. Max, years later, played Lancaster’s role on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 98September 26, 2021 3:12 AM

Just saw this pic of Marlene today - fabulous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 26, 2021 3:18 AM

[quote] Marlene today

I think you mean Marlene 1961.

by Anonymousreply 100September 26, 2021 3:25 AM

r98, please see my reminiscence of the Broadway production with Max.

by Anonymousreply 101September 26, 2021 3:27 AM

I think the saddest thing is when a celebrated beauty is forced to hide.

Garbo agreed to appear on Broadway in the 1950s on the proviso that the first ten rows of seats be forbidden from sale.

Dietrich appeared with gauzy filters briefly in this bad movie from 1978 but she was terrified of exposing her face to Max in 1984.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 26, 2021 3:32 AM

It might make a good opera, with a set in ruins and the witnesses singing their hearts out.

by Anonymousreply 103September 26, 2021 3:32 AM

[quote] It might make a good opera

Cynics have said the so-called 'Truth and Reconciliation Commission' in South Africa was a soap opera.

People came and 'sang out' their woes but there was no tangible result.

I looked up the Nuremberg trials on Wiki and it says 'In the end, the international tribunal found all but three of the defendants guilty. Twelve were sentenced to death, one in absentia, and the rest were given prison sentences ranging from 10 years to life behind bars. Ten of the condemned were executed by hanging on October 16, 1946.'

by Anonymousreply 104September 26, 2021 3:37 AM

I love DataLounge because I can find an entire thread of over more than 100 replies about Judgment at Nuremberg (even if a good many are about hot Max Schell).

by Anonymousreply 105September 26, 2021 3:39 AM

Marlene in the 1980s. She was still beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 26, 2021 6:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!