Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kenneth Branagh’s “Belfast” wins at Toronto

Toronto’s People’s Choice Award gives pic early frontrunner Best Picture standing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 25, 2023 5:22 PM

I have vowed to avoid Branagh at all costs.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2021 11:59 PM

Universal had the Oscar campaign on all four cylinders the minute it premiered at Telluride, so I thought that was a sign they were very confident it would do well at Toronto. A BP Oscar win wouldn’t surprise me given it’s a weak year, and Kenneth Branagh has basically worked with everyone in Hollywood so he’s have a lot of ground support.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2021 12:18 AM

I never want to see another movie involving this guy after what he did to Hercule Poirot in Orient Express. He completely ruined the character because he's too vain to play a fat dandy.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2021 12:22 AM

Is the cast in Belfast diverse?

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2021 12:27 AM

R4, yes, I believe it includes both Catholics and Protestants.

R3, I hated that movie, but then I hate most of the modern versions of Christie novels, whether the desecration arises out of vanity or "modern sensibilities".

OTOH, I have to admit, this one looks good. Jamie Dornan is gorgeous in the trailers - reason enough to at least put it on the "maybe" list. If it's really in B&W, as the trailers seem to indicate, then I'll probably see it because a period film in B&W is my idea of movie heaven.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2021 12:35 AM

Is this 'Belfast' as "bad-ass" as Brangah's latest abominations?

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2021 12:37 AM

I saw the film at TELLURIDE. Jamie Dornan was outstanding in the film…the movie deserves the accolades as do SPENCER & C’MON C’MON.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2021 12:37 AM

is it a musical or was that just the trailer?

I lurve Jamie Dornan. He had me at "The Fall."

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2021 12:41 AM

Jamie Dornan was the standout in the god awful Barb and Star Visit Vista Del Mar

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2021 12:42 AM

Dornan in a decent film. That’s the big news here.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2021 12:43 AM

His career certainly needs this and unknown Judy Dench should get an Oscar nom out of this.

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2021 12:51 AM

Dornan is a very underrated actor. I am not talking about his "Fifty Shades of Gray" shit. I think he has a great career ahead of him.

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote] Judy Dench

Judi Dench!

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2021 1:10 AM

Dornan who has previously approached publicity reluctantly, is basically jubilant promoting this. He’s a very hungry actor who has struggled to find footing in Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2021 1:11 AM

Jamie is hot as hell. Even as as a serial killer in The Fall. Very arresting eyes and demeanor, plus that accent! And his body. He's very intense.

I only ever saw the first 50 Shades movie so I'm judging him from his other works. I'm looking forward to seeing this movie.

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2021 1:31 AM

Dornan and Balfe going into supporting alongside Hines and Dench

Jude Hill will go Lead

Given what appears to be a weak year, they all may get in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2021 12:23 PM

The movie got two five star reviews from The Times and the Guardian ahead of the London premiere. Dornan actually Instagram’d it, he’s riding this high for all its worth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2021 12:27 PM

Jamie Dornan was scary as all hell in The Fall!

I dislike modern black and white films, such a pretentious choice.

by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 12:35 PM

Branagh has always been a much better director than he is an actor.

He's still despised by some sections of the British media because he achieved huge success so early in his career, despite being working class and having no family connections, and was totally unapologetic about it.

Judi Dench's accent in this sounds dodgy but she was generally above average in Philomena.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2021 12:36 PM

Anyone seen it?

by Anonymousreply 20November 12, 2021 8:20 PM

This film being popular in Canada was about as predictable as the Vatican selling rosaries and prayer cards.

by Anonymousreply 21November 12, 2021 8:24 PM

It must be Brits going on and on about this "looks good" nonsense. From the trailers alone it screams 'trying-too-hard'. Schmaltzy, pandering. And forgive me Irish friends but another movie about how miserable Ireland was/is for poor people, or another movie about The Troubles and tribulation of their bizarre infighting over religion, it's all just been done to death. In a world with so much horror, this subject matter seems almost silly to waste time on.

by Anonymousreply 22November 12, 2021 8:29 PM

Who’s the guy dancing in the OP? Who’s the girl?

by Anonymousreply 23November 12, 2021 8:35 PM

[quote]Who’s the guy dancing in the OP? Who’s the girl?

That's Irish actor Jamie Dornan, famous for his role in Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar and Irish actress Caitríona Balfe, famous for her role in Now You See Me.

by Anonymousreply 24November 12, 2021 8:40 PM

Saw this today. It’s beautiful crafted and achingly personal, as good as the childhood reminiscences of Bergman or Fellini, or Spielberg. Go see it and bring tissues.

by Anonymousreply 25November 13, 2021 1:04 AM

Sorry, it's really awful. cutesy and verrrry twee.

by Anonymousreply 26November 13, 2021 7:15 PM

[quote] That's Irish actor Jamie Dornan, famous for his role in Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar and Irish actress Caitríona Balfe, famous for her role in Now You See Me.

So nobodies then.

by Anonymousreply 27November 13, 2021 7:18 PM

Belfast plays like how Iraq is described in "Team America", children swimming in chocolate rivers and laughing as they chase bubbles. Choreographed to an inch of its life, every passer-by on obstructed cue. Even the sickly ad campaign looks like "Billy Elliot 2". Sorry, I hate the idea of Branaugh getting an Oscar for this rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 28November 13, 2021 7:24 PM

I saw Kenneth tonight, he's not tall. Also saw Jamie. He walked past me and made eye contact. He was walking to his SUV and was thisclose to me as he walked past. no way he's 5'11. but he isn't ugly. he isn't drop dead gorgeous either. above average.

by Anonymousreply 29November 17, 2021 4:21 AM

Where was this, r29?

by Anonymousreply 30November 17, 2021 4:28 AM

R29, nyc

by Anonymousreply 31November 17, 2021 2:08 PM

[quote]but he isn't ugly. he isn't drop dead gorgeous either. above average.

I'm not disagreeing with you, R29, but I find this a shocking statement. Jamie always looks like perfection

by Anonymousreply 32November 17, 2021 3:11 PM

But but but but . . . It's not about POC!

How can it win?!

by Anonymousreply 33November 17, 2021 3:18 PM

Saw it last night, lovely and bittersweet, a really good movie.

by Anonymousreply 34November 17, 2021 3:38 PM

I saw this on Sunday. I thought it was a charming film. I especially loved the performances. It's not really a movie about The Troubles. That's just the backdrop to several small moments of one boy's childhood during the time. It's a family story about life during wartime where the conflict is something going on in the background and occasionally makes its way to the foreground. It's similar to John Boorman's "Hope and Glory" in that way - what it was like to be a child living in a chaotic time.

by Anonymousreply 35November 17, 2021 3:45 PM

[quote] Where was this, [R29]?

Everard Baths

by Anonymousreply 36November 17, 2021 3:46 PM

I’m recommending it to my family and friends, but I don’t want to oversell it, because it is pretty slight, so I don’t want anyone to expect the second coming

by Anonymousreply 37November 17, 2021 10:45 PM

Belfast will clean up at the Oscars because Jamie Dornan must be honored!

by Anonymousreply 38November 17, 2021 11:07 PM

I thought Kenneth looked better in person.

by Anonymousreply 39November 18, 2021 12:01 AM

[quote]Jamie Dornan was the standout in the god awful Barb and Star Visit Vista Del Mar

I could only make it about 30 minutes before I stopped watching. God, what a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 40November 18, 2021 12:41 AM

R26 Did not see this movie

by Anonymousreply 41November 18, 2021 12:43 AM

[quote]And forgive me Irish friends but another movie about how miserable Ireland was/is for poor people, or another movie about The Troubles and tribulation of their bizarre infighting over religion, it's all just been done to death.

My great-grandmother left that shithole Belfast in the 1920s and never went back. She lived to the early 90s. She had nothing but awful things to say about Belfast and thanked God every day she was able to get out and make it to the US.

by Anonymousreply 42November 18, 2021 12:44 AM

Eh, I thought Barb and Star was pretty funny. But I wasn't expecting something deep or moving. Sometimes I just want to watch something goofy and wacky. Kind of like Austin Powers or the Brady Bunch movies.

And yes, Dornan was the standout. He should do more comedy. And get naked.

by Anonymousreply 43November 18, 2021 12:53 AM

Jamie nekkid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 18, 2021 12:57 AM

r22, it wasn't about any poor people, nor was it really about "the troubles."

by Anonymousreply 45November 18, 2021 1:00 AM

Yes, I'm sick of those Irish movies like Angela's ashes...how many more do we need?

by Anonymousreply 46November 18, 2021 1:01 AM

Jamie is adorable in Wild Mountain Thyme opposite Emily Blunt.

by Anonymousreply 47November 18, 2021 1:04 AM

I've had my eye on Dornan since Marie Antoinette.

by Anonymousreply 48November 18, 2021 1:15 AM

R26 INDEED saw this movie on the day it came out with no prejudice nor expectations. And it was torture. The kind of movie where bombs and cars blow up all over the place and not a single apple cheeked child gets a scratch. If only the real Belfast had been so lucky,

It's reaaaaaaally bad. Watch Jamie and his brood singing 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" without cringing, I dare you. Twee twee twee.

by Anonymousreply 49November 18, 2021 2:36 AM

I think you will find in the weeks and months ahead that many people will disagree with you.

by Anonymousreply 50November 18, 2021 2:39 AM

Those people love "Forrest Gump" too. Means fuckall. The movie is treacle.

by Anonymousreply 51November 18, 2021 3:30 AM

BELFAST is not very good. The script is full of holes and there is no way to fix that.

by Anonymousreply 52November 18, 2021 3:50 AM

John Boorman's "Hope and Glory" is one of my top 5 favorite films (it's about the London Blitz as seen through the eyes of a young boy). This movie is fairly similar in that way, and while I liked it very much, it doesn't top "Hope and Glory."

by Anonymousreply 53November 18, 2021 4:26 AM

Avoid this stupid movie. It ain't all that. Ciaran Hinds is the best of it, but only if you're a student or fan of fine acting.

1. Why does Judi Dench stay behind and not emigrate with her family? Her husband just died, but she chooses Belfast over family. At least explain it, fer fuck's sake.

2. Caitriona Balfe refuses to leave Belfast, even after she and her children are nearly slaughtered, even with her husband working in London, even with her begging him to be a stronger presence for the boys. In the face of all this, she won't budge. Worse, she marches her young son INTO a riot to teach him a lesson. The character is irrational. Lots of credit to Balfe for making her a little bit sympathetic. (Unless you think about any of this rotten script.)

3. Jamie Dornan constantly is worried about money, but commutes twice monthly between London and Belfast. He comes and goes so often in this movie, that it's difficult to follow a time line. He wants his family to move to London, to be safe and to be together, but does not much make of a play for it. No, he just goes along with his irrational wife.

4. The black and white cinematography is flat and muddy. Except for when it switches to color. As a choice, this is terribly heavy handed.

by Anonymousreply 54November 18, 2021 12:02 PM

I've already seen this film before: Hope and Glory, Distant Voices Still Lives, The Long Day Closes, etc.

All I see in the trailer is cliche after cliche.

by Anonymousreply 55November 18, 2021 12:38 PM

R35 - Hope and Glory is one of my favourite films. If Belfast approaches it in quality, why not? There's nothing wrong with an homage sort of film if it still breathes on its own.

That last scene in Hope and Glory, with the boy depressed about going back to school and finding when he gets there that a German doddle-bug has hit the school and the kids are running riot in the schoolyard throwing papers about, and he can go back to spending time fishing with Grandad, screaming, "Thank you, Adolf!" was priceless.

by Anonymousreply 56November 18, 2021 1:28 PM

^*doodle bug (not doddle bug)

by Anonymousreply 57November 18, 2021 1:28 PM

r54, opinions are not facts. and i disagree with yours.

by Anonymousreply 58November 18, 2021 1:30 PM

I didn't think it was a stupid movie at all. I thought it was quite charming and warm. Some people may like it while others may not. Opinions are subjective and everyone is entitled to one. I would recommend this movie to others because I enjoyed it. If it sounds like something you wouldn't enjoy, don't watch it. But don't avoid it either, just because someone else didn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 59November 18, 2021 2:06 PM

[quote]I would recommend this movie to others because I enjoyed it.

That's absolutely valid.

But that you enjoyed it does not mean it's a good film, well made.

Like Taco Bell. Or White Castle.

by Anonymousreply 60November 18, 2021 2:44 PM

I look forward to seeing it. I love this kind of movie.

But damn TIFF are such star fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 61November 18, 2021 2:46 PM

R22 Those films are mostly fodder for modern Irish people to coo to themselves about how European and sophisticated they are now.

Pointless for foreign audiences- except apparently Canadians, which honestly fits the bill for them.

by Anonymousreply 62November 18, 2021 2:48 PM

[quote] and Irish actress Caitríona Balfe, famous for her role in Now You See Me.

You ... you bitch!

by Anonymousreply 63November 18, 2021 2:52 PM

What is The Troubles? A movie?

by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2021 3:27 PM

[quote]But that you enjoyed it does not mean it's a good film, well made.

And that you didn't enjoy it does not mean it's a bad film, poorly made.

Opinions ≠ Facts

by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2021 4:09 PM

Well, I for one am disappointed that DL gave "Belfast" a mixed review; I adore Jamie Dornan & it looked like the kind of schmaltzy good cry kind of movies that are always enjoyable around the holidays. And Judy Dench isn't Queen Victoria again, so at least there's that.

by Anonymousreply 66November 18, 2021 6:03 PM

The fascist state of Toronto!

by Anonymousreply 67November 18, 2021 6:49 PM

This movie is not about the troubles, nor is it about poor people. Go and enjoy, plus it's only about 90 minutes, a real blessing.

by Anonymousreply 68November 19, 2021 12:55 AM

r66, I don't think DL gave it mixed reviews, I think it is one person posting over and over that they didn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 69November 19, 2021 12:58 AM

Nope, there are a few of us.

by Anonymousreply 70November 19, 2021 1:37 AM

it looks predictable...

by Anonymousreply 71November 19, 2021 2:39 AM

The Toronto Trans Collective have issued a statement:

[quote]The Toronto Trans Collective condemns the decision by the Toronto International Film Festival to honor the movie Belfast directed by Ken Banner. Awarding a movie with no trans representation is an act of literal violence against trans people, as is the decision to cast white able bodied cishet actors like Jamies Dorman, Judy Bench and Catrina Balf. The Toronto Trans Collective urges a boycott of this movie and calls on Kenneth Branagh to make changes to his upcoming movie Death On The Nile by featuring at least one trans character, preferably one who is murdered in an act of literal violence and who can be played by a trans actress of color. The Toronto Trans Collective also condemns the movie being shot in black and white as an attack on non binary people

by Anonymousreply 72November 19, 2021 4:38 PM

[quote]Awarding a movie with no trans representation is an act of literal violence against trans people, as is the decision to cast white able bodied cishet actors like Jamie Dornan.

Indeed, who would not have preferred to see Jacob Tobia instead of Jamie Dornan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 19, 2021 5:04 PM

r72 I'm hoping that is a parody but today you never know...

by Anonymousreply 74November 19, 2021 5:57 PM

JFC r73 kill that thing with FIRE!

What IS that?

by Anonymousreply 75November 19, 2021 11:19 PM

Just saw it in a theater full of eldergays. Meh+. Pretty to look at. Some good acting. Dame Judy is good as always.

by Anonymousreply 76November 20, 2021 11:57 PM

Saw it today, and I'm in the "loved it" camp. Because of the B&W, I did find myself wondering what colors their dinnerware was.

by Anonymousreply 77November 21, 2021 12:56 AM

Well-made film with a terrible screenplay and some flinty characterizations, but it's crowd-pleasing if you can turn off the critical parts of your brain for 90 minutes.

Wait for it to come to streaming; you can get mighty drunk if you take a shot every time there's a musical interlude.

by Anonymousreply 78November 21, 2021 1:02 AM

Take a swig every time you hear the word "wee" and you'll be more than a wee bit drunk, I assure you.

by Anonymousreply 79November 21, 2021 3:28 AM

Not a single cigarette in the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 80November 21, 2021 11:57 AM

R79, but how do you know?

This film needed English subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 81November 21, 2021 12:04 PM

Just saw it. It's a nice film, but it'stoo prettified. The father and hte mother are played by the drop-dead handsome Jamie Dornan and the even more beautiful Caitriona Balfe, and they both look like they've wandered in from a modeling agency. Balfe's breasts and especially her legs are so spectacular that you can't believe she doesn't get wolf-whistled everywhere she goes. And their house is absolutely spotless.

Jude Hill as the child actor at the center is the sugariest of all though--he looks and behaves like an absolute angel. Kenneth Branagh must have a really exalted sense of himself as a child.

Also: the street the family lives on is so obviously a movie set. It's even more obviously faked than the set for the street where the Russells and Van Rhijns live in "The Gilded Age."

The besy thing in the film by far is Ciaran Hinds, who is fantastic as the grandfather.

by Anonymousreply 82March 26, 2022 3:27 AM

It was about the Troubles R45. It was a very moving and fairly accurate portrayal of the time, as relayed to me by some British friends who were over there. Not surprising given it's based on Branagh's life. It's very much about how innocent people got caught up in the violence not only between Catholics and Protestants, but also how that was a cover for the gangs, smugglers, and other affiliated criminals who made use of the conflict for their own ends. That was what Colin Morgan's character hinted at with his "protection" racket, and it only got a lot worse the longer it went on.

People tend to think the conflict was about religion but those criminal networks, corrupt officers, and shadowy gangs were the ones profiting of the chaos - religion was just an excuse. And, from what I've heard, they're all still there, waiting for the Troubles to start again.

by Anonymousreply 83March 26, 2022 3:39 AM

When I've been there, r83, the people there have made it clear they want to put that time behind them.

by Anonymousreply 84March 26, 2022 5:07 AM

r82, I agree with your comments, but I wonder if the beautiful parents, the immaculate house, the clean cut movie set street, etc., were all meant to convey nostalgia for the idealized world of childhood.

by Anonymousreply 85March 26, 2022 9:52 AM

That's a good workable theory, r85, and would be given further credence by the father singing "Everlasting Love" so beautifully and the mother dancing so superbly to it.

I don't think it was a good choice though. It made the film seem artificial. The parents came across like Ken and Barbie (though i am fan of both actors in other roles).

by Anonymousreply 86March 26, 2022 7:42 PM

Just got back from the cinema. Watched it.

It was OK. We are to believe the father is away half of the year, coming home every two weeks for the weekend… but he's in about every scene, so there's that. The mother not wanting to leave her dreary, violence-infested neighbourhood for a lovely English home with a garden makes no sense at all.

Dame Judi, who I hope was wearing a fat suit, was stellar and provided comic relief.

by Anonymousreply 87March 26, 2022 11:41 PM

Having just seen Belfast, it’s charming and sweet with multiple grace notes which is very difficult to pull off. The habitually boorish Ciaran Hinds was perfectly pitched. The Van Morrison musical cues became obnoxious after The Bright Side Of The Road played while our pint sized hero stood across the road from his crush. Judi Dench was a nonentity.

Of the post-lockdown Love Letters To Cinema it is head and shoulders above Babylon and Empire Of Light - haven’t seen The Fablemans.

by Anonymousreply 88March 25, 2023 4:33 PM

Babylon is a love letter to cinema in the same way that Fatal Attraction is a romantic comedy.

But Belfast is much better than The Fabelmans, which is only interesting because of what we know about Steven Spielberg. Nothing about Belfast depends on knowing the kid grows up to be an acclaimed actor-director. Both movies are about how parents will always be somewhat unknowable to their kids, but Belfast is better because Branagh's feelings about his parents are less complicated, and Spielberg has never been great at emotional nuance.

by Anonymousreply 89March 25, 2023 5:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!