Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dolphins Alert Rescue Crew to Lost Swimmer Who Had Been Stranded for 12 Hours

A lost swimmer was found off the coast of Ireland thanks to a few helpful dolphins.

The swimmer, who had been missing for nearly 12 hours, was spotted on Aug. 22 by Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) volunteers when they saw him surrounded by a pod of dolphins, BBC reports.

"At 20:30, the volunteer lifeboat crew with Fenit RNLI spotted a pod of dolphins and a head above the water about two-and-a-half miles off Castlegregory beach," the RNLI said. "The casualty was conscious and immediately recovered onto the lifeboat and brought to Fenit Harbour to be taken to hospital."

The swimmer, who was identified as a man in his 30s from County Londonderry, was "hypothermic and exhausted" when he was rescued, and had only been wearing a swimsuit after hours spent in the chilly waters.

The man told his rescuers he had been trying to swim out to Mucklaghmore Rock, which is over five miles from the beach where his clothes had been found. His abandoned belongings are what sparked the search.

Fenit RNLI's Gerard O'Donnell told the BBC that the rescuers had been "scanning the water for any sign of movement and were worried with light fading that they would not find anyone," before they discovered the man amongst the dolphins.

He has since been taken to University Hospital Kerry, where he is recovering.

The animals surrounding him were later identified as bottlenose dolphins living in Scotland's Moray Firth. Since 2019, the dolphins have been spotted off the Irish coast.

RNLI coxswain Finbarr O'Connell told The Irish Independent there were "a lot of dolphins around" the man when he and his crew finally located the lost swimmer. He added, "Maybe they helped him in some way or another: who knows?"

O'Donnell reminded anyone venturing into the water for a swim "to let people know where they are going and when they are expected back," adding, "This was a very lucky individual."

Dolphins have a history of protecting humans in the ocean. According to Slate, "Dolphins have sometimes been known to occasionally engage in 'reciprocal altruism,' helping members of other cetacean species."

Back in 2004, four New Zealand swimmers were rescued from a great white shark by a pod of dolphins who encircled them, allowing them to escape. "They could have sensed the danger to the swimmers, and taken action to protect them," Orca Research's Ingrid Visser said at the time.

And in 2014, long-distance swimmer Adam Walker made headlines in a similar incident, when a pod of dolphins helped keep him safe from a predatory great white nearby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 7, 2021 2:20 PM

Have the frauen given names and anthropomorphic sentimental back-stories to these animals yet?

by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2021 10:56 PM

Did they rape him first?

by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2021 10:58 PM

No but we've got a name for r1 and it's cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3September 2, 2021 10:59 PM

I love dolphins so much.

They are amazing creatures.

They're like "man's best friend," but in the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2021 11:01 PM

"You're welcome."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 2, 2021 11:28 PM

Every time I’ve been to Roxkaway Beach this summer (only twice), I’ve seen dolphins breaching. It’s magical and the beach erupts in exclamations and sighs.

by Anonymousreply 6September 2, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote] exclamations and sighs.

How heartwarming!

by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2021 11:34 PM

Dammit R2, I wanted to post that!

by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2021 11:38 PM

Get back to me when they save him from a shark attack.

by Anonymousreply 9September 3, 2021 12:55 AM

[quote] Dolphins Alert Rescue Crew

Did the dolphins alert the crew with their squeaky voices?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 3, 2021 5:55 AM

Still waiting for them to take over the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 3, 2021 8:40 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2021 5:29 AM

Amateurs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2021 5:44 AM

Stunning and brave!

by Anonymousreply 14September 7, 2021 12:48 PM

my dad, who was in the Korean conflict, was blown out of his airplane as ball turret gunner, landing in water outside of okinawa. He Claims that in the shark-infected waters dolphins surrounded him and protected him until rescue could pick him up.

Now the guy was young, wounded and delirious, not sure I buy the whole story, but I myself can't speak on my experiences of being blown out of an airplane over water, so . . . . . .

by Anonymousreply 15September 7, 2021 12:54 PM

Is there such a thing as a sociopathic or narcissistic dolphin (or the dolphin equivalent)? How does dolphin society deal with them?

by Anonymousreply 16September 7, 2021 2:04 PM

What magnificent creatures.

by Anonymousreply 17September 7, 2021 2:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!