Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Life Goes On" Revival in Development; Kellie Martin, Chad Lowe to Return

ABC’s groundbreaking family drama is getting a new lease on you-know-what.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 4, 2021 6:10 AM

Is Chris Burke going to be included?

by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2021 4:20 PM

How will they include Chad Lowe? They established in the finale that his character died.

Why do I remember this stuff?

by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2021 4:21 PM

Chad Lowe was so hot in that show

by Anonymousreply 3September 2, 2021 4:27 PM

Is Corky still…with us?

by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2021 4:30 PM

R2, I don't remember myself (it's been too long ago) but here are two comments from readers in the TV Line article attached:

[quote]No, Jessie didn’t die in the original. There was an episode of Season 3 (I think) where there was a flash forward and Becca is telling her current husband about Jessie (but they could just pretend that episode didn’t happen). In the series finale, I think there was another flash-forward of Becca & Jessie getting married after they graduated from college.

[quote]The series finale was of Becca telling a story to a 10 year old boy and was mostly flashbacks. At the very end we find out he’s her son and his name is Jesse. Via flashback we find out Becca and Jesse got back together and married. She wanted kids with him but he was kinda against it. The finale never said what came of Jesse and who was the father of the 10 year old Jesse. However series creator Michael Braverman explained that Becca’s son was indeed fathered by Jesse. He wanted to show that, at some point in the future, it would be possible for them to safely have a child together.

by Anonymousreply 5September 2, 2021 4:31 PM

He was, R3, as was the football player who took a liking to Corky (but whose name I don't remember).

by Anonymousreply 6September 2, 2021 4:32 PM

This show wasn't even that popular when it was on. It got a lot of press, mainly because of Burke, but the highest it climbed to in ratings was #66 for all four of its seasons.

by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2021 4:34 PM

Are there any downsies left after abortion ?

by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2021 4:39 PM

R4 yes. Chris Burke is still alive. He's 56

by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2021 4:47 PM

Count me out. Way out!

by Anonymousreply 10September 2, 2021 4:52 PM

Holy shit I completely forgot that was Patti LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 11September 2, 2021 5:04 PM

Tommy Puett played Tyler, the football player who took Corky under his wing. He retired from acting and is now a business owner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2021 5:27 PM

Tommy Puett was my first crush. I was 11.

by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2021 5:40 PM

The actor who played Corky lives in Newtown, PA in an assisted living place.

by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2021 5:53 PM

Patti in her book made it as clear as she could she couldn't stand Bill Smitrovich.

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2021 6:16 PM

‘Life Goes On’ Reunion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2021 6:17 PM

Didn't Tyler get AIDS from sleeping with a woman?

by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2021 8:38 PM

Is corky still alive?

by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2021 8:41 PM

Read the thread, R18.

by Anonymousreply 19September 2, 2021 8:42 PM

A show no one remembers. This will be another Murphy Brown.

by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2021 8:48 PM

I haven’t thought of this show in years, but it’s nice to hear Chris Burke is still with us. I watched this as a tiny kid.

by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2021 8:51 PM

Yeah....Patti and Bill Smitrovich hated each other and she wrote about it in her bitchy book.

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2021 8:53 PM

Are they gonna get another Broadway star to belt out the title song? I never watched the show; I only tuned in to hear La LuPone's voice soaring over everyone else's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2021 8:59 PM

I wonder if the Braverman family in Parenthood (tv) is named after Michael Braverman?

by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2021 9:12 PM

Without Splatsy Trombone this show is DOA.

by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2021 9:27 PM

I saw Becca naked!

by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2021 10:22 PM

Patti Lupone plays the teenage daughter in this version.

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2021 10:26 PM

I’m not gonna lie - I would totally watch this. But only if the parents come back too.

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2021 10:34 PM

I relish any opportunity I can to post this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2021 10:49 PM

You should celebrate! Celebrate this revival!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2021 11:11 PM

My mom was angry at my trashy choices in reading and TV. She decided I had better read something substantial or else. Her selection: Some Kind of Hero, the life story of Chris Burke. FML.

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2021 11:16 PM

Huh. The dad is (was) kinda cute.

by Anonymousreply 32September 2, 2021 11:20 PM

Dats da suk job!!

by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2021 11:26 PM

I am ashamed to admit I loved this show!

by Anonymousreply 34September 2, 2021 11:28 PM

Will there be a ban on wire clothes hangers and knitting needles now? Maybe stairs too?

by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2021 11:29 PM

This is PROOF that Hollywood has run out of original ideas!!!!

Fuckin' idiots.

by Anonymousreply 36September 2, 2021 11:32 PM

I loved this show. A reboot would probably do well on a channel like hallmark.

by Anonymousreply 37September 2, 2021 11:39 PM

I always thought Kellie Martin was an outstanding actor. I thought going from Life Goes On to ER meant that big things were in her future. I really think she’s better then the mostly hallmark channel mysteries she’s been in since.

by Anonymousreply 38September 2, 2021 11:49 PM

R32 Oh that dad was atrocious

by Anonymousreply 39September 2, 2021 11:53 PM

R38 I’ll never get over the two episodes of her end on ER. The most shocked I’ve ever been by a TV show!

by Anonymousreply 40September 2, 2021 11:58 PM

Is Patti coming back?

by Anonymousreply 41September 3, 2021 12:58 AM

Patti will only consider coming back if they let her sing. What’s she going to sing, DataLounge?

by Anonymousreply 42September 3, 2021 1:04 AM

A Datalounger greenlighted this, right?

by Anonymousreply 43September 3, 2021 1:06 AM

I loved this show as a kid, mostly for the theme song. Didn’t it come on Sunday nights just before the Wonderful World of Disney?

by Anonymousreply 44September 3, 2021 1:24 AM

(Shhh.... I paid Corky's - whatever his name is - his parents $500 to keep all this quiet from him. They plan to block the channel showing it from his TV.

by Anonymousreply 45September 3, 2021 3:00 AM

If Lupown’s not in, I’m out.

by Anonymousreply 46September 3, 2021 3:17 AM

Patti...goes on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 3, 2021 3:27 AM

Hated that show and everyone in it. I had no idea Patti Lupone was a Broadway diva until long after this show finished.

by Anonymousreply 48September 3, 2021 3:30 AM

[quote] Didn't Tyler get AIDS from sleeping with a woman?

Tyler wasn't the character with AIDS. Tyler died in a drunk driving car crash.

by Anonymousreply 49September 3, 2021 3:32 AM

[quote]Didn’t it come on Sunday nights just before the Wonderful World of Disney?

Yes, it was on Sunday nights on ABC at 7pm Eastern, 6pm Central.

by Anonymousreply 50September 3, 2021 4:04 AM

[quote] The actor who played Corky lives in Newtown, PA in an assisted living place.

He does? About 7 years ago he was living in Manhattan. I worked somewhere that he frequented as a customer—way, way too often— and I got to know him fairly well. I never asked him about Life Goes On, though (which I loved as a kid, watching every episode as they aired new). In fact I tried not to talk to him too much. Let’s just say, it was a friendship to be *endured.*

I also didn’t know when I was a kid watching the show that LuPone was a Broadway star until after LGO had concluded its run.

And I still confuse it with Our House (Wilford Brimley, Chad Allen), which I also saw every single episode of in their first runs.

Kellie Martin’s career triumph was, and remains, Death Of A Cheerleader—now available in HD on Amazon Prime!

I do not have high hopes for a Life Goes On reunion.

by Anonymousreply 51September 3, 2021 4:11 AM

R47 Patti makes me cry there. You can tell this is personal to her. She has tears in her eyes.

Bill S. played Blake's father on the new Dynasty a few years ago. He was good. I can see both he and Patti appearing on the new version of LGO, but separately. They'd have to make the characters divorced. She's friendly with Kelly Martin.

She really goes after Bill in her book. Accuses him of touching her inappropriately, and of having bad breath. Rumor is she once slapped Corky. She has complained of having to do endless takes with him. I think eventually she'd shoot her part, and a stand in was used when Corky shot his part. After a time they were rarely on screen at the same time.

Like with Betty Buckley, it's too bad the show robbed her of some prime Broadway stage years.

by Anonymousreply 52September 3, 2021 4:18 AM

Look like Lowe would only be a producer, he wouldn't be in it. I recall the character being in pretty bad shape with full blown AIDS toward the end. Wouldn't really make sense.

by Anonymousreply 53September 3, 2021 4:20 AM

They reboot everything and do revivals of everything, so why not this?

The AIDs storyline was considered a big deal back then, groundbreaking. I recall the later episodes where the adult Becca is telling someone (her husband?) about Jesse, who is definitely dead by that time. Becca Becca wasn't an old lady when she talks about the dead Jesse, so the implication is that he died young. So how are they going to incorporate the Jesse character back in a revival? Seems like it wouldn't make much sense. But then someone suggested maybe they're hoping nobody remembers the shows that confirmed Jesse's death. And yes, Jesse did get AIDs from a female.

Tyler won't be in the revival. He died in a car accident. And what about the older sister, Paige? Will she be in it? Or will she be considered a superfluous character?

I always thought the acting was good on the show. But it was just trying to hard to be serious and have depth. It got boring.

by Anonymousreply 54September 3, 2021 4:21 AM

I mean, it wasn't a good show. I used to tune in hoping Patti would sing. There was an episode where she sang Never Never Land, acapella, to her newborn baby. It was so lovely. I wish I could find it.

by Anonymousreply 55September 3, 2021 4:43 AM

[quote] Look like Lowe would only be a producer, he wouldn't be in it. I recall the character being in pretty bad shape with full blown AIDS toward the end. Wouldn't really make sense.

Maybe he took PrEP.

by Anonymousreply 56September 3, 2021 4:50 AM

Patti 's character in a strange monotone with a holier than thou vibe. Frumpy too. She must have pissed wardrobe and make-up off.

by Anonymousreply 57September 3, 2021 4:54 AM

R57 if you look at her audition on YouTube she NAILS it, hard. But, I think she HATED doing the show, day to day. She begged to get out of her contract. They finally relented, and she's barely in season 5. They let her off to do Sunset Boulevard. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 58September 3, 2021 5:04 AM

Make that season 4, she's barely in.

by Anonymousreply 59September 3, 2021 5:05 AM

In it's first season, it ranked #75. That's gotta be close to the lowest ranked show on network. In subsequent years, it never ranked better than #66. It must've driven Patti NUTS that it kept getting renewed!

by Anonymousreply 60September 3, 2021 5:07 AM

OMG someone uploaded it! It cuts off too soon, but this is wonderful. I don't often think of Patti having a pretty voice, but this is absolutely lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 3, 2021 5:16 AM

I get Kellie Martin and Tracey Gold mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 62September 3, 2021 5:16 AM

“ Libby sings 'Never Never Land' to the little boy who will be Nicky.”

Who is Nicky and why will be become him? Did he transition?

by Anonymousreply 63September 3, 2021 5:26 AM

why can’t OP say Doubleyew Bee?

by Anonymousreply 64September 3, 2021 5:36 AM

[quote] Is Chris Burke going to be included?

Only if he has a free schedule!

by Anonymousreply 65September 3, 2021 6:00 AM

R63 he was a representation of her unborn child

by Anonymousreply 66September 3, 2021 6:09 AM

I love Kellie Martin, she proved her acting acumen by convincing us that she was obsessed with the “Beautiful and popular” Tori Spelling in Death of a Cheerleader

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67September 3, 2021 11:34 AM

I'll never get over the trauma of Dr. Noah Wylie seeing her body under the hospital bed. Also, why did they replace the eldest daughter after the first season. The first actress to play Paige was Monique Lanier, she seemed very fancy. The second actress was very Becky number 2 from Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 68September 3, 2021 11:59 AM

Patti also disliked Paige #2.

by Anonymousreply 69September 3, 2021 1:07 PM

It might be a shorter list to say who Patti DID like.

by Anonymousreply 70September 3, 2021 1:57 PM

She adores Kelli Martin, and she liked the first Paige.

by Anonymousreply 71September 3, 2021 2:11 PM

DL fave Pamela "Claudia Blaisdel" Bellwood played adult Becca in the final episode.

by Anonymousreply 72September 3, 2021 2:29 PM

Are flash forwards considered canon? Will and Grace said they had kids and didn’t talk for 20 years, Roseanne said Dan died. None of that really happened when the shows were rebooted.

by Anonymousreply 73September 3, 2021 8:05 PM

Well, they've already made clear that Chad won't be actually on the show, he'd be a producer.

by Anonymousreply 74September 3, 2021 8:37 PM

Why won’t he be on the show?

by Anonymousreply 75September 3, 2021 8:39 PM

In Patti's autobiography she names names and the one name she hated more than anyone else was the guy who played the father. She HATED him. I can't imagine they would both come back.

by Anonymousreply 76September 3, 2021 8:40 PM

Never heard of this. Is it about a throuple and their two tards?

by Anonymousreply 77September 3, 2021 8:48 PM

The reboot is about Becca raising her own Downs kids with the help of Uncle Corky.

by Anonymousreply 78September 3, 2021 8:58 PM

Oh I didn't realize the boy has an actual condition when I posted that at r77. Uh sorry...

by Anonymousreply 79September 3, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote]A show no one remembers. This will be another Murphy Brown.

Which is a shame because studios have vaults full of lost shows. But re-runs of "Law And Order" play 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 80September 3, 2021 9:43 PM

[quote]Well, they've already made clear that Chad won't be actually on the show, he'd be a producer.

[quote]Why won’t he be on the show?

I think this presents an interesting question. If they stick with the Jesse died long ago storyline, there really would be no way for Chad to appear in the reboot, not even as a ghost, because if Jesse died when he was a teenager/early 20s, his ghost would be a man in his 50s? Would that make any sense?

by Anonymousreply 81September 3, 2021 10:33 PM

So ghosts don’t age? How does that make sense?

by Anonymousreply 82September 3, 2021 10:36 PM

Why would a ghost age? It's your physical body that ages as it decays.

by Anonymousreply 83September 3, 2021 10:45 PM

She could have a fantasy sequence where she imagines life today had he lived.

In the show, the flash forward shows she has a child, and Jessie was the father. The producers wanted to show that it would one day be safe for an HIV + man to have children.

So, that's a problem because I'm not sure if that ever really came true. They could certainly disregard those flash forward scenes altogether. Plenty of reboots have retconed things.

by Anonymousreply 84September 4, 2021 3:18 AM

[quote]Is corky still alive?

He was alive when this thread started. He has since died while fighting in Afghanistan.

by Anonymousreply 85September 4, 2021 3:31 AM

HOLY SHIT the clip from r47 is almost exactly what she did to the person taking pictures in the audience of Gypsy. It's like she had that moment built into her psyche and it came roaring back decades later.

by Anonymousreply 86September 4, 2021 3:49 AM

[quote] Which is a shame because studios have vaults full of lost shows. But re-runs of "Law And Order" play 24/7.

Yeah, a lot of ok/decent shows from the 80s, 90s and 2000s have been forgotten due to Law&Order NCIS, and CSI franchise shows being show constantly in syndication. I remember that period in the mid to late 90s when basic cable networks aired a variety of reruns from different types of shows and not just crime procedural shows. Life Goes On was reaired on a few basic cable channels around that time. Once basic cable networks started reairing crime procedural reruns more a bunch of past shows were forgotten. Other ok/decent shows from the 90s like Northern Exposure and Sisters are also examples of shows that would be ok to rewatch these days, but they aren't on streaming services and were pulled from syndication or basic cable reruns many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 87September 4, 2021 5:14 AM

A friend of mine used to refer to this show as "My Favorite Retard."

by Anonymousreply 88September 4, 2021 5:28 AM

I bet they’ll recast it as a black family. Like they did with the new Wonder Years. Dumb assholes.

13%

by Anonymousreply 89September 4, 2021 5:37 AM

In the reboot, Corky’s Mongoloid uncle Genghis will return to bring him back to the land of his true ancestors where he can enjoy their sumptuous Mongolian BBQs.

by Anonymousreply 90September 4, 2021 5:54 AM

R51 did you ever call him Corky or Mr. Corky?

by Anonymousreply 91September 4, 2021 6:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!