Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Mothman Prophecies

I wish somebody would make a movie that’s more faithful to the book but I still love the Richard Gere version.

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2021 11:19 PM

Give me the elevator pitch.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2021 5:50 PM

Alan Bates is no chopped liver

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2021 5:52 PM

I don't remember that much about this film, other than it being dark and depressing.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2021 5:57 PM

I thought it was good and underrated. I still watch it occasionally and it still scares me. Just hate seeing it fade into obscurity. We don't often get a good horror movie with an a-list lead that's actually creepy, instead of some himbo-of-the-month reacting to the same jump scares over and over.

That last part really bothers me, one of my biggest irks about horror movies in general. They're always better with ACTUAL mature actors. I've seen so many horror films with great plots and other elements, but they fill the cast with unknown, untalented twentysomethings and it ends up being awful.

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2021 6:04 PM

The most tolerable five minutes of Debra Messing ever!

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2021 6:09 PM

I love that film. I must have watched it ten times. I love the somber mood and unease it builds around the events. But I do seem to remember that the critiques were actually kind of negative.

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2021 8:31 PM

My main complaint is I wanted more Indrid Cold and there’s more of him in the book.

by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2021 8:32 PM

Didn't some people think it was a giant egret or heron?

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2021 9:02 PM

This movie was so scary. And it was pitch as a true story. I was scared for a week straight. I would not go out a night.

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2021 9:04 PM

No moths. 0/10.

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2021 9:45 PM

harpy eagle!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2021 10:55 PM

I like the movie and the book. It's really hard to find a good horror movie or novel. I think that's why the genre is sort of dismissed in general, which sucks if you enjoy said genre.

Anyway, I just read the book this past year. It was written in the 70s, but it almost reads like one of those websites from the earlier days of the internet where you'd find some weird forum or someone's personal webpage that was dedicated to all these weird conspiracy theories (conspiracy, like the book, had some government/political thread, crime but included a dose of supernatural/alien/whatever, not like it is now, with all politics all the time, regardless of subject).

Anyway, if you're one of those people who loves going on bizarre threads of thought, without regard for straight narrative, or have absolutely everything make perfect sense, it's an entertaining read.

I'm pretty sure the term "Men in Black" was coined in this novel.

by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2021 10:56 PM

If you want something truly scary, have your car break down in the remote parts of Boone, Logan, or Mingo county.

by Anonymousreply 13August 31, 2021 11:18 PM

I love it too.

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2021 11:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!