Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When did crepe myrtles take over?

I grew up in the south in the 80s. We’d see a few crepe myrtles away from the coast - but not a lot.

Now they seem to be all the way from Florida to Maine. Everything looks the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 29, 2021 11:50 PM

California, too. I love them. We have them in so many shades of red, pink, fuchsia, and white. They start blooming in mid June and last almost through September. I don't know if they're a new phenomenon. I can't recall from childhood. I grew up in the area.

by Anonymousreply 1August 28, 2021 3:39 PM

I think they're beautiful. Planted one in my garden 10 years ago. Has never flowered.

by Anonymousreply 2August 28, 2021 3:39 PM

I got one!

by Anonymousreply 3August 28, 2021 3:39 PM

It's because they're heat and drought resistant so are being promoted worldwide by horticulturalists on the back of new hybrids. But it's become a case of overkill. (Same with the awful Canadian red maples as street trees, which are being flogged for the same reasons over elms and the London plane.) Personally I think the crepe myrtles coarse, charmless, AND garish. A backlash is surely coming. I think because councils are planting them en mass in crapper areas they will gain a reputation as a Disney tree of the poor, and then no one will want them. There's far nicer and more elegant flowering trees.

by Anonymousreply 4August 28, 2021 4:11 PM

It's CRAPE MYRTLE, you filthy cretins!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 28, 2021 4:11 PM

I like them, they remind me of my youth in Texas. Can't grow them up here in NY though.

by Anonymousreply 6August 28, 2021 4:15 PM

I love them. Glad to see Magnolia trees spreading all along the East

by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2021 4:16 PM

They were all over North Carolina but yes, all almost everywhere now.

by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2021 4:17 PM

R4, you are the annoying type people love to despise

by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2021 4:18 PM

I haven't seen any in my neighborhood, but I would enjoy it as an addition to the Catalpas, which have beautiful leaves and white flowers, but drop enormous bean pods, and the Linden trees which are everywhere, and smell wonderful, but send my allergies into overdrive.

Hail, Satan, there are no cottonwoods in my neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2021 5:02 PM

I prefer crepe suzette.

by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2021 5:10 PM

r11 is Ethel Mertz.

Although even Ethel would know its CREPES Suzette.

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2021 5:22 PM

I live in a townhouse (in the L.A. suburbs) with a postage-stamp front yard. I have a great pink crape myrtle, and just outside my wall is a HUGE (like 30-foot-tall) Chinese silk floss tree. So when both are blooming, it's an abundance of pink everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 28, 2021 5:24 PM

They’re the new Rose of Sharon.

by Anonymousreply 14August 28, 2021 5:29 PM

Bay Area here. We have several of them across the street and they’re very messy. Constant dropping of branches/leaves. Something about them seems trashy.

by Anonymousreply 15August 28, 2021 5:34 PM

You seem high strung

by Anonymousreply 16August 28, 2021 5:34 PM

We have a bunch of crape myrtles in our yard, and a flowering pear tree and magnolia too. I love them!

by Anonymousreply 17August 28, 2021 5:42 PM

Great if well pruned which doesn't happen when they are a filler shrub. In my area so many have dead and bleached out upper branches with a scraggily bunch of foliage/flowers near the base.

by Anonymousreply 18August 28, 2021 6:11 PM

What's the difference between a Rose of Sharon and a hibiscus?

by Anonymousreply 19August 28, 2021 6:11 PM

They are one of my favorite trees. There are a lot in my area.

by Anonymousreply 20August 28, 2021 6:36 PM

We have different experiences, OP. I moved to Florida as a child in 1961 and they were everywhere. We had a number on our property - they were pink/rose.

They weren't the most popular flower trees because they didn't do well once cut from the tree - they'd fall apart easily and make a mess on the floor/ground. But they were beautiful in place and they didn't get too big. We had so many different trees, bushes and flowers including magnolia trees. Though we had gardeners come at least once a month for maintenance work we kids had to help my dad when he did more regular gardening and we hated it. And, no, there were no leaf blowers back then. There were rakes. Blister making rakes.

by Anonymousreply 21August 28, 2021 6:47 PM

R19 Rose of Sharon is a variety of hibiscus

by Anonymousreply 22August 28, 2021 7:13 PM

I wonder if those who love Magnolias have had to actually deal with them over a long period. One is ok in the middle of a large yard but they drop lots of big leaves that are hard to pick up and huge hand grenade seed pods. Most of my neighbors have gotten rid of them.

by Anonymousreply 23August 28, 2021 7:27 PM

Yes, we know, but Americans still love magnolias

by Anonymousreply 24August 28, 2021 7:36 PM

Better than the prone-to-splitting Bradford Pear that smells like bleach/cum when it blooms.

by Anonymousreply 25August 28, 2021 7:36 PM

Ewwww

by Anonymousreply 26August 28, 2021 8:08 PM

I fucking loathe them.

by Anonymousreply 27August 28, 2021 8:25 PM

R6 Then you have a Black Thumb. They fuckling line the streets in my friend's town in Rockland County. It was like being in a Twilight Zone episode, where you expect the trees to start dragging the townsfolk down onto the earth.

by Anonymousreply 28August 28, 2021 8:29 PM

My house had a bradford pear in the backyard that eventually split in two during a storm and three crape myrtles planted two closed to the front of my house.

Chainsawed all four. Hate both those trees that were the darlings of the developers middle of the '80s when my house was built.

I also chainsawed two elaeagnus and three huge hollies, all planted too close to the house by the homebuilder.

by Anonymousreply 29August 28, 2021 8:32 PM

I still treasure my Magnolia Queen sash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 28, 2021 8:42 PM

I pulled mine out, two planted by a previous owner-they are messy fuckers that leave vast amounts of slimy gunk all over lawns, sidewalks, and patios.

by Anonymousreply 31August 28, 2021 8:55 PM

Yes as a child slave raker I can attest to what a PITA magnolia trees were. I couldn't even appreciate the flowers as they were usually above my height.

We also had camellia and gardenia bushes and they were lovely. My mom would caution us not to touch the gardenia petals - something about turning them brown. WTF.

by Anonymousreply 32August 28, 2021 8:58 PM

Not a fan, but I don’t hate them. They seem rather basic, not much of a challenge (at least where I live). Northern California.

by Anonymousreply 33August 28, 2021 9:00 PM

Trees should be challenging? How do they challenge?

by Anonymousreply 34August 28, 2021 9:03 PM

Sick-a lookin' at 'em.

by Anonymousreply 35August 28, 2021 10:37 PM

They're vulgar retina irritants: the crass equivalent of a lurid t-shirt, which is why the poors love them. You won't find them in any stylish garden, where the goal is visual quiet, not visual screaming. Pruning makes them even uglier.

by Anonymousreply 36August 29, 2021 5:36 AM

The flowers don't impress me, but the bark on well-grown ones is quite attractive. They are not hardy in my region.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 29, 2021 7:30 AM

R36 sounds insufferable, supremely annoying

by Anonymousreply 38August 29, 2021 12:02 PM

Geez R36 arent you a big old snob

by Anonymousreply 39August 29, 2021 12:14 PM

And r36 wonders why people despise him

by Anonymousreply 40August 29, 2021 12:15 PM

I love bougainvillea so I’m ok with crepe myrtle as an easier-to-grow substitute.

by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2021 12:24 PM

We had nothing but fruitless mulberries and scraggly pine trees back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2021 12:31 PM

climate change OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2021 12:41 PM

Down South they are as common as pigs in Poland!

Trailer park trees -- that's what they've become.

by Anonymousreply 44August 29, 2021 1:57 PM

Alligator will be in NYC by mid century

by Anonymousreply 45August 29, 2021 2:16 PM

Tundra resident: I lust after Crepe Myrtles for zone 4

by Anonymousreply 46August 29, 2021 2:19 PM

[quote]Trailer park trees -- that's what they've become.

Exactly. The floral equivalent of Ailanthus altissima – ghetto palms. I'm pleased to see a few on the thread are upset. Good. When it comes to excluding coarse plants, snobbery is perfectly fine. The less there is of these, the better.

[quote]Tundra resident: I lust after Crepe Myrtles for zone 4

Plant lilac. You're spoilt for varieties. And there's fragrance!

by Anonymousreply 47August 29, 2021 2:21 PM

R47 l love lilacs and have several varieties in my garden, I just wish they bloomed longer, only a couple of weeks. The green foliage is pretty blah.

by Anonymousreply 48August 29, 2021 3:56 PM

They's banquette trees in seedy New Orleans neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 49August 29, 2021 4:12 PM

I had no idea crape myrtles were not OUR sort of tree. I’m so embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 50August 29, 2021 4:52 PM

One of the longest running gay charity events in the country held the last weekend of July every year in Raleigh, NC is called the Crape Myrtle Festival.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 29, 2021 4:57 PM

Thye have always been in New Jersey, especially South Jersey. Windmill palms are fine in far southern New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 52August 29, 2021 4:58 PM

Yeah well ... Raleigh ... less said the better.

by Anonymousreply 53August 29, 2021 5:01 PM

You people bring to mind a gardening show I saw several years ago. The host was angry because his wife dug up and threw away all of his Red Emperor tulips because they "clashed" with the daffodils.

by Anonymousreply 54August 29, 2021 5:05 PM

That's called "crape murder", R18, the poor pruning of this ubiquitous shittree.

by Anonymousreply 55August 29, 2021 5:28 PM

i don't really care for them. I have them all over my property. They need constant pruning and grow really fast. They also multiply, i have to always dig up stray ones from the flower beds.

by Anonymousreply 56August 29, 2021 6:35 PM

Once upon a time here someone implied they were a garden or landscape expert for the desert.

I wish I could talk to them. Our yard needs help!

by Anonymousreply 57August 29, 2021 6:41 PM

The house I grew up in the South had nearly 100 year old crape myrtles. My dad hated them but my mother loved them. When I was a kid I loved the ones that were planted in a tight circle. The ground inside the circle was my favorite play place. When my mom died, my dad chopped them all down about a month later.

by Anonymousreply 58August 29, 2021 6:44 PM

They resist being killed. They will put up new growth for years after being chopped down.

by Anonymousreply 59August 29, 2021 6:45 PM

R14 Too many bees for me with Rose of Sharon/Hibiscus R23 Yes, I thought about planting one....but those big sticky leaves deterred me. My arborist hooked me up with a River Oak instead and it grew fast, has zero in common with Magnolia but it is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 60August 29, 2021 9:31 PM

Crape myrtles are what you plant when you don't know there are better alternatives with just as much inflorescence.

by Anonymousreply 61August 29, 2021 11:19 PM

Crape myrtles, when pruned from the bottom, showing the structure of the tree, can be beautiful. I love the deep, fuchsia colored one.

by Anonymousreply 62August 29, 2021 11:32 PM

I only like the deep red ones -- the rest can go straight into a wood chipper!

by Anonymousreply 63August 29, 2021 11:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!