Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How did Doris Roberts win four Emmys for "Everyone Loves Raymond"?

Continously honoring her effectively cost some other iconic performances the chance to be recognised. What was the big deal with her performance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 30, 2021 4:59 PM

Ahhh here we go. Good try. I wonder what people get out of posts like these really?

by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2021 7:13 PM

Reparations for having to work with Patricia Heaton (and Donna Pescow).

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2021 7:16 PM

Kim deserved all the awards for Samantha Jones

by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2021 7:19 PM

Reparation also for not being honored by the motion picture academy for her work in A New Leaf.

by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2021 7:39 PM

She was good in the role and deserved to be awarded, but the Emmy Awards tends to focus on a performer and then keep awarding them year after year even when they maybe only really deserved the first award or two.

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2021 7:54 PM

God i hated Frank and Marie. Would rather die in a grease fire than live next door to those 2.

by Anonymousreply 6August 28, 2021 3:07 PM

The television academy, which is made up of legacy people, correctly sensed the headwinds of change coming in the industry which would lead to the destruction of the tv business as they knew it, one in which the network three-camera sitcom and 10PM drama would no longer be the type of product they made and rewarded. Remember this is also the period in which the West Wing regularly beat out The Sopranos, now often cited as the greatest tv drama ever created. This is also the period when the networks also began to abandon scripted program for reality. So the Emmys were a retrenchment of the Old Guard trying to hold onto a model which was about to be obliterated.

by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2021 3:24 PM

Also, she blew the judges.

by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2021 4:17 PM

r8=Velma Von Tussle

by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2021 5:37 PM

Repeat winners in this category cost actresses like Kim Cattrall (Samantha Jones), Jane Krakowski (Jenna Maroney), Vanessa Williams (Wilhelmina Slater), Jessica Walter (Lucille Bluth) recognition for creating iconic comedic characters

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2021 6:25 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2021 6:28 PM

R10 interesting distinction to note - all those performances were single camera. This was three camera’s last stand.

To illustrate how dramatically the industry has changed, all current nominees for Best Comedy - all EIGHT of them - are single cam.

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2021 6:36 PM

R12 can you explain the difference please? For a dumb dumb like me

by Anonymousreply 13August 28, 2021 6:44 PM

[quote]This was three camera’s last stand.

Really?

by Anonymousreply 14August 28, 2021 6:44 PM

Yet somehow production costs are

by Anonymousreply 15August 28, 2021 10:42 PM

It's a shame they don't dpread the love around more instead of awarding the same actor/character over and over (unless they are doijg something extraordinary every season)

Case in point, Jim Parsons winning 4 Emmys for the same old Sheldon shite year in and year out.

by Anonymousreply 16August 29, 2021 6:53 AM

Your premise is wrong. "What was so great about her performance?"

She was super funny but it probably wasn't the performance.

1) It was the 1990s before the academies changed voting rules. The electorate probably had an average age of over 70 2) It's the emmys. They regularly reward the same actors over and over and over. Especially actresses. 3) Doris Roberts was around FOREVER. She had been acting in LA for decades. She was nice to people. She kept being nice after becoming a big star (and yes, being on America's number one show for a decade makes you a big and very well paid star as far as I'm concerned). A 4) she was active in actor and political causes, so half the academy probably knew her personally or had spent time chatting with her. She probably understood the value of winning an award at the emmys and staying a few hours after to chat with every single person who wanted to say hi and congratulations (which is how we ended up with Parasite winning best picture, different time, same idea) . 5) There's tons of TV. She was on America's top sitcom. She got the most eyeballs every week.

by Anonymousreply 17August 29, 2021 7:31 AM

She must have been a champ at sucking cock and eating pussy to keep getting votes year after year. She was good for maybe one win but even two trophies for that performance in that show were just too much. Then again this is the same group of people who gave the block of wood Candice Bergen five Emmys for "Murphy Brown" and then honored Titty Heaton with two trophies for ELR, presumably one for each fake tit.

by Anonymousreply 18August 29, 2021 8:15 AM

R17 probably close to the truth, although being nice and around forever never help Angela Lansbury win any of her 19 Emmy nominations, even as fucking Guest Star on Law & "Order SVU!

R18 lol did she have nice titty witties?

by Anonymousreply 19August 29, 2021 9:23 AM

[quote]Repeat winners in this category cost actresses like Kim Cattrall (Samantha Jones), Jane Krakowski (Jenna Maroney), Vanessa Williams (Wilhelmina Slater), Jessica Walter (Lucille Bluth) recognition for creating iconic comedic characters

The most important point is that they'll all be remembered; Doris or/and and her character probably won't. It's great when people get both- the amazing characters/material AND awards- but it relatively rare.

by Anonymousreply 20August 29, 2021 10:11 AM

R13 three camera is the “live in front of a studio audience” format created by Desi Arnaz for I Love Lucy. It refers to three camera taping the same scene simultaneously. Single cam means it’s filmed like most other programming.

by Anonymousreply 21August 29, 2021 10:36 AM

For R13

Wiki has answer to your query...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 29, 2021 10:47 AM

did you ever notice she never takes that large black onyx ring off her hand? Clearly it’s sentimental to her but don’t set costumers have a say in accessories for the actors? it reads in all her scenes. Once you see it you always see it.

by Anonymousreply 23August 29, 2021 11:02 AM

Desi Arnaz was a genius who didn't then or doesn't still today receive credit where due.

R13, if you've ever seen clips of "bloopers" or out takes where an actor is facing wrong camera, there's your "three camera" set up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 29, 2021 11:14 AM

They were rewarding her for every performance she ever gave in her life, because she pretty much always gave the same performance.

by Anonymousreply 25August 29, 2021 11:15 AM

[quote] She was good for maybe one win but even two trophies for that performance in that show were just too much. Then again this is the same group of people who gave the block of wood Candice Bergen five Emmys for "Murphy Brown" and then honored Titty Heaton with two trophies for ELR, presumably one for each fake tit.

I’ve stopped watching any awards shows, and the first to go we’re the Emmys. ‘Give it to the same person six years running’ didn’t seem like real artistic recognition. I don’t miss them at all.

by Anonymousreply 26August 29, 2021 11:19 AM

That Glade "air conditioner" commercial allowed Doris Roberts to buy her first Manhattan apartment.

Don't know if it is the same one but she lived on Central Park South and 7th avenue (IIRC).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 29, 2021 11:19 AM

Because she submitted her best work, aka her best episode, every year.

by Anonymousreply 28August 29, 2021 11:26 AM

She was great along with the entire cast.

by Anonymousreply 29August 29, 2021 11:29 AM

The Marie Dressler of the turn of the millenium.

by Anonymousreply 30August 29, 2021 11:29 AM

Hester Street was yet another example of Doris Roberts playing same role; a pushy old school New York City Jewish broad.

It's comical that Doris Roberts is celebrated and remembered as matriarch of a Long Island Italian-American family. Nothing about "Marie Barone" was Italian.... Olympia Dukakis did things better as Rose Castorini in Moonstruck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 29, 2021 11:29 AM

To be fair Doris Roberts did have several Emmy nominations. She only won the first (for St. Elsewhere), then finally four more (Everybody Loves Raymond).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 29, 2021 11:36 AM

[quote]It's comical that Doris Roberts is celebrated and remembered as matriarch of a Long Island Italian-American family. Nothing about "Marie Barone" was Italian

Who ever heard of such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 33August 29, 2021 11:56 AM

"You can't pee up my back and make me think it's rain"

by Anonymousreply 34August 29, 2021 12:05 PM

This always happens. In the 80's for like 6 years the Best Actress Drama Emmy went to Cagney or Lacey. Lots of great actresses lost out.

by Anonymousreply 35August 29, 2021 12:22 PM

Back then, the final round Emmy nominees were judged by viewing panels who came together and watched all the episodes in one sitting. The type of people who had the time for that understandably tended to be older (probably retired) so the performances that won tended to be the ones that appealed to those kinds of voters and played well in a room like that.

Looking at the episode submissions, she consistently chose wisely, with episodes that combined big laughs and sympathy. Plus, looking at who she beat each time, the only really deserving person she denied was Jessica Walter, whose character probably wasn't "likable" enough and didn't show as much range for the voters in the room. Everyone else got one at some point. (Sorry, but Kim Cattrall was great in the part, but she was not a great actress.)

Doris Roberts

Jennifer Aniston (would win in Lead next year)

Kim Cattrall

Lisa Kudrow (won 1998)

Megan Mullally (won the year before and would again in 2006)

Doris Roberts

Kim Cattrall

Wendie Malick (love her, and wouldn’t have minded a win)

Megan Mullally

Cynthia Nixon (would win in 2004)

Doris Roberts

Kim Cattrall

Cheryl Hines

Megan Mullally

Cynthia Nixon

Doris Roberts

Conchata Ferrell

Megan Mullally

Holland Taylor

Jessica Walter

by Anonymousreply 36August 29, 2021 12:47 PM

Kim submitted some great episodes too where she played a range of emotions

by Anonymousreply 37August 29, 2021 2:06 PM

“it’s an ehh conditionah!!”

by Anonymousreply 38August 29, 2021 2:12 PM

She was really good in the role and way better than someone like Kim Cattrall or the others that have been mentioned. Come at me!

by Anonymousreply 39August 29, 2021 2:23 PM

When you have completely incompetent costars your work looks outstanding by comparison, that and she sucked out all the talent from Donna Pescow and Debra Lee Scott from her days on Angie and there wasn’t a lot to extract from DLS to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 40August 29, 2021 2:27 PM

What's wrong with that?

by Anonymousreply 41August 29, 2021 2:30 PM

Stepping up, Julia, repeated excellence get awarded repeat Oscars too. It is the right thing.

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2021 4:16 PM

On another note for those who've never seen film "Hester Street" in R31 very much recommend. Entire movie is on YT and makes for an interesting watch to see a slice of old immigrant New York City.

Sadly lead actor Steven Keats died back in 1994 by his own hand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 30, 2021 3:02 AM

Love Doris as Marie. She deserves all the accolades she got, she made that show. She coud generate a laugh with just a silent look or pause, much like Bea Arthur. The other actresses mentioned that were her competition really weren't all that great.

by Anonymousreply 44August 30, 2021 5:32 AM

Doris Robert's Manhattan apartment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 30, 2021 6:27 AM

And her home in Hollywood Hills

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 30, 2021 6:28 AM

Deep Throat Doris had a trick pelvis and no shame…… She also had a thing for women, amputees, bisexuality, and water sports.

I miss that old slut terribly

by Anonymousreply 47August 30, 2021 6:58 AM

Like I'm sure Patricia Heaton isn't cool, given her personality, but what did she do that would make her a nightmare to work with? Also does Brad Garret give anyone else closet vibes? at least bi vibes like Nick Offerman?

by Anonymousreply 48August 30, 2021 7:13 AM

It wasn't difficult for Doris to look like a genius thespian given whom she was surrounded by in the ELR cast.

Ray Romano: Whiny, unappealing man-child who has got to be the least funny leading man of a sitcom ever and without an ounce of acting talent.

Party Heaton: Smug scold with just a single note in all her performances while she thrusts her fake tits in everyone's faces and acts self-righteous and morally superior. Ghastly cunt.

Brad Garrett: Awful, beastly-looking, unfunny and like the freak T-Rex attraction in that monstrous family.

Peter Boyle: Cranky, one-note asshole in that role.

The show would have been a lot better if the Barones had been written as a family which has mob links and gets eliminated in the first five minutes of the first episode.

Marie Barone was the relatively normal one in that group, which is scary to think about.

by Anonymousreply 49August 30, 2021 9:11 AM

[quote]Doris Robert's Manhattan apartment.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 50August 30, 2021 10:49 AM

Kaye Ballard was up for the role of the mother. Refused to do screen test. Said they should use "Mothers in Law" as the audition. Doris got the job.

by Anonymousreply 51August 30, 2021 11:23 AM

And Pierce Brosnan, R2.

"Raymond" is one of the most boring things on television, but I like Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 52August 30, 2021 12:16 PM

[quote]Case in point, Jim Parsons winning 4 Emmys for the same old Sheldon shite year in and year out.

I don’t see a problem here.

by Anonymousreply 53August 30, 2021 12:32 PM

A few posters touched on it, but I’m surprised it has yet to be spelled out - the Emmy is the only major award where you can submit yourself for consideration.

Some of the multi-award winners finally stopped submitting themselves to give others a chance.

I seem to remember Bergen and Larroquette being among them, I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 54August 30, 2021 12:35 PM

Kaye Ballard would have been awful. A total ham. The pairing with Peter Boyle was genius, they were like real parents. Romano and Heaton were smart enough to know that it was supporting cast that made the show work.

by Anonymousreply 55August 30, 2021 12:37 PM

I know it’s not a shining example of comedy genius - The New Girl, but I remember Jake Johnson in some interview about the show commending the editors for cobbling together a hilarious performance of his that he doesn’t remember giving.

Those snappy repartee shows owe their pace - not just speed, but comedic timing - to the editors.

Not to withhold credit from the writers or actors, but the whole thing really comes together in editing.

I wonder if the academy believes that most of the single camera performances are in large part due to the editing.

Not that there isn’t editing in a multi-camera production, of course there is, but it is a live performance being recorded and much more difficult to switch around deliveries, the order of line dialogue or the elimination of lines altogether, than it would be in single camera shows.

Just my two cents.

by Anonymousreply 56August 30, 2021 12:47 PM

I like how Everyone Loves Raymond wisely minimized the kids early in the show's run. Amy and her family were good additions later in the show.

Heaton's character did get too shrewish as the show went on, but she does have good comic timing and worked well with Romano (and Roberts). While there were some similarities in her In the Middle character, there were differences and she was not just a clone of Deborah.

Romano maybe wasn't the best actor, but he was also no Seinfeld and was smart enough to surround himself with a strong cast.

by Anonymousreply 57August 30, 2021 4:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!