Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

George Maharis

At the peak of his career, as one of the stars of Route 66, he either asked for too much money or suffered health problems related to hepatitis which forced him to leave the show. His co-star Martin Milner says it was the former. Whatever it was, he never starred in anything as big (?) and Route 66 failed shortly after with his replacement. He was arrested in a restaurant men's room in 1967 (which was reduced to a count of Disturbing the Peace) and a similar arrest followed in 1974 this one in a gas station men's room. Maharis faded from view (but continued working in smaller parts through the 1980s. The papers didn't ignore the 1974 arrest (below), even printing the name of his trick (Perfecto Telles, a hairdresser) and reporting the original arrest as well. Maharis has outlasted his fame and is still around at 92. Anyone have a George story? Perfecto?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 17, 2021 2:39 AM

What George was singing in that men's room . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 16, 2021 12:52 PM

No, but more recently, I have one on Thomas Jefferson.

by Anonymousreply 2August 16, 2021 12:57 PM

Are we sure "Perfecto Telles" isn't another Anthony Weiner alias?

by Anonymousreply 3August 16, 2021 12:57 PM

George's replacement, Glenn Corbett, looked very similar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 16, 2021 12:59 PM

My mom has an autographed photo of him, probably from around 1962. I’m assuming she wrote for it through some fan magazine.

by Anonymousreply 5August 16, 2021 1:02 PM

He did a lot of television roles and a few films and was always very memorable. The trivia about his career being “derailed” by hepatitis seems anchored to his legacy, perhaps unnecessarily.

According to the commentary on one of the ROUTE 66 dvds and some places online (which I can’t seem to find now) he claimed to have gotten hepatitis from diving into the fake lake/pond on Universal Studios(?) lot that was used for many tv shows (including Gilligan’s Island) and films. Apparently it was filthy and germ-infested with no chlorine. You can watch the ROUTE 66 episode where this happens, it does look disgusting. Many people (including Bob Denver) had to pressure producers and directors to clean it out and make sure it was properly maintained before actors were expected to just jump into it again and again.

by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2021 1:02 PM

I lived in L.A. back in '74 and the cops were merciless then and still are. They used to use police helicopters to harass gay men in Griffith Park. They also were very helpful in trying to destroy Maharis's career, by giving the press the name (and occupation) of his trick, and alerting them to the real (dismissed) charge back in '67. Bastards. Glad he was still able to get work.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2021 1:12 PM

The Gilligan pilot was shot in Hawaii. The series was shot at CBS Studio Center - now the Radford Studios in Studio City. It was formerly Republic Studios the home of Roy Rogers & Vera Hruba Ralston. The lagoon was built for the show.

If Ginger and Mary Ann showed up at Universal Studios to film the show - they would have been in the WRONG place.

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2021 1:13 PM

His photo in Playgirl was hot as hell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2021 1:20 PM

“None of those were true,” said Maharis. In fact, it was the lingering effects of hepatitis he contracted while doing an episode in Houston where he nearly froze in the water during night shoots. “They sent a doctor to the hotel, and he gave me a B-12 shot. I got [hepatitis] from the doctor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2021 1:57 PM

This blog post from 2016 has nice overview…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2021 1:58 PM

Maharis was known even in the contemporary press for complaining about scripts on Route 66 and being a general pain in the ass and I think the producers always feared Maharis' careless gay shenanigans would get him and the show in trouble. So they mutually parted.

Glenn Corbett, who replaced Maharis, was more of a macho straight arrow type but if you google you'll find "fitness" nudies he did as a young newcomer to Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 12August 16, 2021 2:05 PM

He and my dad were in the Merchant Marines together just after WWII. They stayed in touch over the years. I met him when I was 2, when he was filming Route 66 in our state. Even a 2 year old knows when someone is handsome. I remember putting my hands over my face as he picked me up, like "get me out of here," because he was so handsome. I sat next to him at dinner at my house as a gawky 13 year old. He took some time to talk to me, asking me what I was thinking of as a career, and telling me it was important to figure that out. Years later, we sent an invitation to my parents' anniversary party. He called me to say he couldn't make it , but we did talk for a bit. I was surprised I didn't freak out this time. Overall, my impression is that he is a warm person, and I've read he is personable with fans. He made my parents laugh and laugh. I wish I knew more about his family and growing up in Queens. Here he is in my current city, at the art gallery that bought some of his paintings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 16, 2021 2:29 PM

Glenn Corbett had a string of wives, so that probably helped the producers in casting him. Also, there is a resemblance but I think he looks a little more like Bob Conrad. It's amazing how nasty the press was back in 1974, working with the LAPD to play up the incident and reporting he was arrested on a "sexual perversion" charge. The 1967 charge sounds trumped up. Knowing the vice squad, he could have just glanced at the cop before they slapped the cuffs on him.

One of Glenn Corbett's beefcake shots...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 16, 2021 2:38 PM

Cool story R13. I'd heard Maharis was full of himself on Route 66. (Loved the theme song from that show and the very cool Corvette.) He did put white bread Milner in the shade so I imagine there was some jealousy there, not unfounded since Milner couldn't carry the show after Maharis left. George had charisma. You can still see the shows today and they were very good. I wonder what restaurant he was arrested in in '67. The gas station, I think, was on Robertson near the old 8709 bath house. I heard a rumor that Glen Campbell was arrested there as well.

by Anonymousreply 15August 16, 2021 2:43 PM

I love how the Route 66 producers were reported to feel "betrayed" by the fact Maharis was/is gay. Jesus Christ. Looking back from today it seems downright medieval, and also brave of George to feel comfortable with who he is. His singing voice wasn't bad at all but that video of him with Miss Warwick and the Animals was bizarre. The shooting schedule of that show sounds really difficult since they shot it on location and the producers had no sympathy for him after he was recovering from hepatitis, forcing him into the freezing ocean for his first scenes after returning to the show. They shot themselves in the foot by not realizing George WAS the show. At least he was able to work afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 16August 16, 2021 3:12 PM

[quote]I heard a rumor that Glen Campbell was arrested there as well.

Yes, with someone not quite legal.

by Anonymousreply 17August 16, 2021 3:21 PM

Trivia: In "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," DiCaprio as Rick Dalton complains that he was on the short list for the role Steve McQueen got in "The Great Escape" along with the "three Georges" -- Peppard, Maharis and Chakiris.

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2021 3:29 PM

So we're to assume from this thread and people who claim to've know Maharis that he got the hep from the pond on the backlot? Come the fuck on...he was sucking and bending over in every public restroom in LA. Why are we sugarcoating this?

Typical fucking DL...he's hot, so he got hep from a pond. Not from being arrested having sex in public restrooms. I see how it works.

by Anonymousreply 19August 16, 2021 3:33 PM

R19 And you know this because ....?? Also, you sound a little sour about it.

by Anonymousreply 20August 16, 2021 3:41 PM

R20, not sour at all. DL just always defends the hot guys. Maharis got any STD he got from whoring around in public bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 21August 16, 2021 3:56 PM

Aw c'mon. That's a blatant generalization. DL defends hot guys? Posters are quoting news reports. It's a fucking gay board for Chrissakes. Who cares how he got it. Also, back in the 60s they didn't even know you could get Hep B from sex if indeed that's what it was. .

by Anonymousreply 22August 16, 2021 4:03 PM

[quote]I heard a rumor that Glen Campbell was arrested there as well. Yes, with someone not quite legal.

Interesting there wasn't a word in the press about it. Probably because he was married, like a lot of closeted LA cops. If you watched "The Wrecking Crew" documentary about session musicians in LA during the 60s, Glen pinged just from his clothes alone.

by Anonymousreply 23August 16, 2021 4:31 PM

A young and inviting George...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 16, 2021 5:58 PM

[quote] Glen pinged just from his clothes alone.

he had EIGHT children and married FOUR times

by Anonymousreply 25August 16, 2021 6:10 PM

No mention yet of the hideous wigs George has sported since the late 1960s?

by Anonymousreply 26August 16, 2021 6:11 PM

OP & R3, the name Perfecto Telles rang some sort of bell but I couldn't place it. I finally did a search (unique names really help!) and I found my answer.

It was the name of Maeby's boyfriend in Arrested Development. Now that is a gay cultural reference for the ages.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 16, 2021 6:17 PM

You know R27, I was googling his name too and I saw that and thought it was some kind of a joke website. WEIRD.

by Anonymousreply 28August 16, 2021 6:31 PM

Your point R25?

by Anonymousreply 29August 16, 2021 6:32 PM

George Maharis was also George Michael's alias in the fourth season of the show.

by Anonymousreply 30August 16, 2021 6:49 PM

i met George before he was famous. Lived on 49th between Ninth and Tenth. Had three toupees on styrofoam heads, which he rotated to make it look like his hair was growing. Now in his 90s, lives on Mulholland Drive.

by Anonymousreply 31August 16, 2021 6:54 PM

r31 He was bald before he was famous?

by Anonymousreply 32August 16, 2021 8:06 PM

Baldness was only one of the afflictions of GM. tiny meat being the other.

by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2021 8:16 PM

According to the most dubious outlets available, Maharis has a net worth of only $2 Million. Actually, considering his age and the fact he hasn't acted in decades, that's not bad.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2021 8:40 PM

R33, it's clear from the Playgirl pose that he didn't have tinymeat. Quite the opposite

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2021 8:45 PM

I think he was fluffed for the Playgirl photo. The naked photos at R24 are more realistic.

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2021 8:48 PM

He doesn't have tinymeat in the other pictures, either

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2021 8:50 PM

Unfortunately, George retracted his foreskin in his Playgirl photo. He should have shown his cock with his foreskin covering his dickhead in all its intact glory.

by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2021 8:58 PM

Two million bucks? That's bad?

by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2021 9:03 PM

George Maharis (born September 1, 1928), 92, is an American actor who portrayed Buz Murdock in the first three seasons of the TV series Route 66. Maharis also recorded numerous pop music albums at the height of his fame, and later starred in the short-lived TV series The Most Deadly Game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2021 9:11 PM

R38 Are you sure he's uncut? It's difficult to tell from any of the pictures.

by Anonymousreply 41August 16, 2021 9:13 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

by Anonymousreply 42August 16, 2021 10:35 PM

A few more photos of George. One is up above but this is better quality. The other one is a rare one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 16, 2021 10:36 PM

I'm jealous of all the guys who had him back in the day

by Anonymousreply 44August 16, 2021 11:35 PM

This thread makes me want to watch Season One. The First episode was Black November and establishes the two guys and their quest. It's a take-off of "On the Road" by Kerouac. Lots of existential angst. Maharis was a poor foundling and Milner was raised rich but left with only a Corvette when his dad died. You can view them for free on IMDB.com

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45August 16, 2021 11:57 PM

I bet Maharis tried to hook up with Keir Dullea in that episode.

by Anonymousreply 46August 17, 2021 12:22 AM

Maharis had a ton of chemistry with Martin Milner. As a young gayling I wanted them to get it on so bad!

by Anonymousreply 47August 17, 2021 12:28 AM

I was excited to get to see Route 66, but the show is so fucking boring.

by Anonymousreply 48August 17, 2021 12:30 AM

George sings with Judy @ 27:30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2021 12:46 AM

George certainly did not have tinymeat....quite the contrary. I sucked him at the Mineshaft in New York City in the early 1980s. He was aggressive.

by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2021 12:53 AM

R47 When my mom was in high school in the 1940s, Martin Milner came to her high school when he was just becoming a star to promote a movie he was in, "Life with Father," and to promote post WWII veteran charities.

She said he was - and I quote - "cute as a button" and she had a big crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2021 12:56 AM

In that premiere episode along with Keir Dullea is Patty McCormack a/k/a The Bad Seed.

by Anonymousreply 52August 17, 2021 12:57 AM

It was definitely homoerotic for its day. Probably what drew Maharis to it. Buzz and Todd only had eyes for each other. They shared meaningful looks and secret smiles.

by Anonymousreply 53August 17, 2021 1:01 AM

One of those over the air digital subchannels has been running Naked City lately. I was amazed to be watching one afternoon and realize the episode was a backdoor pilot for Route 66 There was a different actor in Milner's role and the characters had different names but at the end the two took off cross country together. I checked WP and it said the the other actor died unexpectedly at age 25 before the show was picked up, so they had to recast.

WP also said something I'd never read before. Jack Kerouac considered suing the producers because he thought Buz (Maharis) was based on him and the whole concept ripped off On the Road.

by Anonymousreply 54August 17, 2021 1:05 AM

He could have gotten Hepatitis A from water.

Corbett's character was to much like Milner's and the audience dropped.

by Anonymousreply 55August 17, 2021 1:13 AM

Re the "On the Road" angle, I can see it. Jack Kerouac lived next door to us during that time. He and his buddies used to play ball at a ballfield across the street. When I grew up and read the book I figured Neal Cassady was the love of his life. At the very least Kerouac was bisexual and he drew from their real life together for "On the Road." I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to sue the show. He was like the town drunk with money, always pulling stunts. He liked my dad but he freaked my mother out when he came over for drinks. She said he was creepy. He was probably just really fucked up on booze and pills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 17, 2021 1:24 AM

The Mineshaft comment makes me realize that Maharis was very lucky to survive the 1980s. I wonder if he's one of those people with partial or total immunity to HIV.

by Anonymousreply 57August 17, 2021 1:48 AM

Maybe Georgy was a top.

by Anonymousreply 58August 17, 2021 1:54 AM

From what I heard he mostly liked giving and getting BJs

by Anonymousreply 59August 17, 2021 2:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!