Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

7.2 magnitude earthquake near Haiti

How much can one country take?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 16, 2021 6:58 PM

On the bright side, there's not damage to be done.

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2021 4:03 PM

It makes you wonder doesn't it. The most beaten down seem to get it on a regular basis. I assume there is a master plan that in the end will good for all. But the one for Haiti- really sucks.

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2021 4:03 PM

As usual, Family Guy nails it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2021 4:04 PM

Good news for Clinton Foundation.

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2021 4:05 PM

Who, according to Haitian activists, collected over 30 million dollars in relief funds but built exactly ONE house there after the 2011 disaster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2021 4:25 PM

R5 - Uh oh, now you're on a list. You'll be pilloried here soon too.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2021 4:27 PM

What's new, r6. The lunatic prog activists on here pillory and abuse anybody who is not politically to the left of Chairman Mao.

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2021 4:34 PM

This place is so godforsaken. This is what America would look like if republicans had their way.

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2021 5:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2021 5:08 PM

Oh, no. This country needs so much help with just about everything and now this shit.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2021 8:00 PM

So far the death count is at 227, but this was even stronger than the 2010 quake, so the numbers are bound to get much worse. The BBC says the previous quake killed 200,000.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2021 8:13 PM

Very sad to hear about another tragedy in Haiti, Despite everything, Haitians are beautiful, strong, and resilient people, who deserve respect and love from all of us. Ayibobo!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2021 8:15 PM

They need to stop fucking around with voodoo.

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2021 9:54 PM

Isn't there also a hurricane headed their way?

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2021 10:07 PM

History teaches us that some place are uninhabitable, anywhere subject to repeated natural disasters will eventually depopulate and be abandonment.

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2021 10:35 PM

^^^ Abandoned ^^^^ fucking spell-check

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2021 10:36 PM

[quote] This place is so godforsaken. This is what America would look like if republicans had their way.

Seriously! It's so much worse than those utopias Cuba and Venezuela.

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2021 10:54 PM

This poor, poor country. Can't the get a break? The last time was the slave revolt in the what, 1800s?

DL-fave Roxane Gay is asking people, if they want to donate, not to donate to the Red Cross. I remember donating to Oxfam after 2011, only to discover years later the people there were having sex parties or something, rather than doing the work. So I won't give to them again. Others may find this useful:

[quote]As you consider sending money to Haiti do not send money to the Red Cross. I like Fonkoze and Hope for Haiti who do a lot of great work on the ground, with efforts led by Haitian people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2021 11:08 PM

Remember Wyclef Jean's charity scandal?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2021 11:15 PM

Luckily, none of them work!

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2021 11:19 PM

Haiti does not look kindly on the homosexuals. Remember that as you send your donations.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2021 11:19 PM

And yet destruction never seems to be felt in the adjacent country of Dominican Republic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2021 11:20 PM

Ugh, I can't quite work out the replies thing on Twitter, but in regard to R18, it looks like people are suggesting Roxane's own family are doing something dodgy in this area?

Just posting this, in case what I posted at R18 is actually not a good thing to post, don't want to lead people down the wrong path:

Marie: It’s too bad that collecting money for charitable causes in #Haiti and for victims of #Haitiearthquake is nothing but #scams.

Roxane: It’s not nothing but scams and saying that is unhelpful

Jesse: ask dad. like seriously just disclose like anyone else

FairlyShitehouse: ...to your dad? I'm sure he stands to bank big out of this. Again.

Lucifer's Prophet: hey, so about your father...

Marie: Roxane, I have nothing wrong in organizing to help others in need. But, there are many nonprofits in Haiti whose sole purpose is to rip off donors and misuse money meant for Haitians in need. Donors need to be selective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2021 11:29 PM

Ahh, here we go:

[quote]@rgay should have mentioned her father is on the board of directors of Hope for Haiti

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2021 11:37 PM

R22 The majority of the fault lines on Hispaniola lie on the Haitian part of the Island, It's not some big conspiracy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2021 11:55 PM

Isn't construction in Haiti considerably crappier and given to easy collapse? I remember reading that after the 2010 quake.

by Anonymousreply 26August 15, 2021 12:10 AM

Goodness, what a mess.

[quote] The disaster could hardly have come at a worse time for the nation of 11 million, which has been in the throes of a political crisis since President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated on July 7. The unsolved assassination, a leadership vacuum, severe poverty and systematic gang violence in parts of Haiti have left the government dysfunctional and ill prepared for a natural calamity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 15, 2021 12:30 AM

The criticism of the Clintons was motivated by - and organized by - Trumpsters, notably Michael Cohen. Haiti is a mess, full of corrupt officials skimming off donation money and outright scammers. The government has been one of the most corrupt in the world for 100 years. Hard to know what to do.

by Anonymousreply 28August 15, 2021 12:34 AM

They should abandon Port-au-Prince and rebuild a Capital on the Northern coast which is geologically more stable. Also look at resettling the population of the Island nearer to that coast.

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2021 12:39 AM

Meanwhile, the United States sends 5000 troops BACK to Afghanistan while Haitian people perish just hundreds of miles away from Florida!

by Anonymousreply 30August 15, 2021 12:42 AM

there are international relief groups moving in R30 - you want the US Army to invade Haiti?

by Anonymousreply 31August 15, 2021 1:42 AM

OMG! Damage already estimated at over $1.87!

by Anonymousreply 32August 15, 2021 3:03 AM

Haiti seems to be experiencing disaster after disaster so why aren’t we taking in more Haitians and less middle easterners? The only place I’ve ever met a lot of Haitian immigrants is Montreal and they adapt very well. I’d rather have my government welcome these poor people with open arms.

by Anonymousreply 33August 15, 2021 3:18 AM

It didn't hit the capital.

by Anonymousreply 34August 15, 2021 3:21 AM

All 11 million of them should just come to the US. That'll add nicely to the black population in America.

That'll put black America at 53 million strong.

by Anonymousreply 35August 15, 2021 3:47 AM

R7 Honestly speaking only a communist regime can save Haiti now. Countries like Haiti or El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras they share the same type of widespread poverty, deadly violence and total corruption... they are beyond repairable! The only solution for them is a radial revolution to dismantle their old self, start everything all over, and the communist might be the best or the only option to jump start a brand new nation. Unfortunately, communism in the backyard of US? That's never going to be allowed, just ask the Cubans, they know very well.

by Anonymousreply 36August 15, 2021 4:18 AM

Forgot to mention, the communism does "work" in the begging of a new nation, Soviet Union, China, North Korea... they all enjoyed rapid economic and social development in the first ten years before they encountered the problems like cultural revolution or famine etc. So the solution could be a communist government or a dictatorship to put the country back on track first then evolve to a more democratic state before the self destruction.

by Anonymousreply 37August 15, 2021 4:26 AM

Why would America not allow communism in Haiti?

Why would they have any say so over what another country decides for its people?

by Anonymousreply 38August 15, 2021 4:30 AM

R38, what color is the sky on your world?

by Anonymousreply 39August 15, 2021 4:57 AM

I'm in America R39.

by Anonymousreply 40August 15, 2021 5:09 AM

They have some beautiful architecture

by Anonymousreply 41August 15, 2021 6:19 AM

Don’t worry, everyone. I’m on the scene.

by Anonymousreply 42August 15, 2021 8:03 AM

Serve them right for rebelled against us.

by Anonymousreply 43August 15, 2021 11:12 AM

God must hate Haiti. All that voodoo shit.

by Anonymousreply 44August 15, 2021 11:14 AM

R12, you’ve obviously never had a job where you worked with Haitians.

by Anonymousreply 45August 15, 2021 12:04 PM

You’d be surprised, R33. There are a considerable amount of Haitians in the tri-state area. The healthcare field employs a lot of them. You don’t want more of them. Easily the nastiest group of people I’ve ever worked with. Rude, unprofessional, and incompetent. The way they treat vulnerable healthcare seekers is despicable.

by Anonymousreply 46August 15, 2021 12:09 PM

[quote] And yet destruction never seems to be felt in the adjacent country of Dominican Republic.

While comparatively poor to the U.S., the D.R. is not in bad shape. I had to LOL when they announced they were building a wall to keep Haitians out.

by Anonymousreply 47August 15, 2021 1:49 PM

R36, R37 -

I can't tell whether you are ignorant or... nope, settled. You're ignorant. If Communism is so wonderful, why is there always a mass exodus of people fleeing every country (wherever it is in the world) when it takes hold. If YOU think Communism is so great, why not move to one of those countries. Communists famously LOVE homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 48August 15, 2021 1:57 PM

[quote] If Communism is so wonderful, why is there always a mass exodus of people fleeing every country (wherever it is in the world) when it takes hold.

Really? If you can find a mass exodus in the same level as those fleeing El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras etc (none of them are communist countries) ... please list them here! R48

Or if you are talking about the old ruling elite class left the country when the communists took over, that happened in every regime change, not limited to communists only. As I said in R37, an authoritarian government like communist or military dictatorship is good at one thing, restoring the order fast which is crucial to rebuild a new country, but the problem is they cannot sustain the stability for very long before descending into self-destruction, that's why they need evolving into a more democratic state once the country is back on track.

I never said communism is wonderful, if you really read my posts, you would have known that, but reading is not your strong suit I guess.

by Anonymousreply 49August 15, 2021 5:42 PM

In primitive countries which are subject to corrupt governments like Haiti and the Northern Triangle, a communist government might do wonders. Look at China. But the US (which has been the backer of those anti-Communist, corrupt governments) would never stand for it.

by Anonymousreply 50August 15, 2021 6:18 PM

And remember - their President was just assassinated a few weeks ago.

It's gonna be a shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 51August 15, 2021 6:54 PM

And Tropical Storm Grace should be there in a day or two.

by Anonymousreply 52August 15, 2021 6:58 PM

R44 is Pat Robertson.

by Anonymousreply 53August 15, 2021 9:28 PM

And France still haven't paid their debt to the Haitians.

by Anonymousreply 54August 15, 2021 9:34 PM

R54 I'd reckon that deserves some kind of explanation as to exactly what debt former Colonial powers owe to independent nations?

They've been independent of France for over 200 years and the US occupation is responsible for their current state of destitution ( puppet leader, Papa Doc Duvalier).

Let's apportion blame where it's due.

by Anonymousreply 55August 16, 2021 3:41 AM

Really they just need to send them to France, then bulldoze the whole country.

by Anonymousreply 56August 16, 2021 5:09 AM

"They wanted to be independent and look where it's got them." -- Napoleon

P.S. Martinique and Guadaloupe are doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 57August 16, 2021 2:46 PM

The UK did responded better to the crisis in Anguilla, the British Virgin Islands and the Turks and Caicos Islands (British Overseas Territories) after Hurricanes Irma and Maria.

We didn't just send a fat orange twat an a whore to throw paper towels at them as the US did in Puerto Rico.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 16, 2021 3:12 PM

They’ve also destroyed most of the forests and marshlands on the island; so when hurricanes do strike, they do that much more damage. Not to mention the soil erosion. And they’re in debt to the US and several European countries for billions of dollars, and they like Haiti being in debt to them. The government corruption there is horrific. Most of the money borrowed has been squandered.

by Anonymousreply 59August 16, 2021 6:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!