Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Really Do Believe These Are The "End Times"

Not a bit religious, but I just sense that things are worse with the world than any of us even imagine. There is just this gnawing feeling that we're all headed for the great beyond. And the sad part is that we've brought it upon ourselves.

Anyone else been having these thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 81August 9, 2021 3:35 PM

My mom lived through the turmoil of the 60s and 70s, including the Chicago riots. She said that was all way worse than what we are going theu today.

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2021 2:00 AM

Yes, big time

by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2021 2:00 AM

Are you the same one who keeps creating threads with this same "theme" nearly every day?

Is it necessary to make a thread every single fucking time you get your feathers slightly ruffled with existential angst?

by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2021 2:06 AM

What R3 said; alternately, are you the same person that keeps saying you want to die?

That said, no, I don't believe these are the end times, although they may be for you ;-)

by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2021 2:09 AM

OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2021 2:10 AM

I’m currently studying with the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the fact that we’re living in the end times is, indeed, Biblically sound.

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2021 2:11 AM

I have an uneasy suspicion that climate change is the monster around the corner that's going to wreak havoc. It's already starting and everyone will just continue to pretend it's not happening until it's too late.

by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2021 2:12 AM

r6, what does your astrologist say?

by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2021 2:13 AM

I agree op. It’s all in the book of revelations

by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2021 2:23 AM

The environment is saying yes.

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2021 2:27 AM

It's not end times just the decline of our civilization. Something else will take its place.

by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2021 2:29 AM

You are all hysterical cows. Human history is replete with end-of-days periods. Look up the year 1349.

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2021 2:34 AM

The climate pffhht lol

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2021 2:37 AM

I think it’s pretty clear that the human race has peaked. Birth rates and life expectancy are declining. It’s all downhill from here; just depends how fast.

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2021 2:37 AM

My first end-of-times experience was way back in the early '80s. A wacko church in town was all stirred up because someone had set a date for the world to end. Which it didn't. And it hasn't the other 100 times or so some pastor or church has said it was going to since.

by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2021 2:37 AM

I just witnessed a potential clash of civilizations at my local rite aid that turned out ok so maybe there is still some hope for America. Femmy guy with long hair and body tats/possibly a down low trans asked the female arab muslim headscraf wearing cashier for a box of condoms from behind the counter. The cashier had no idea what he/she was talking about. He/she had to direct her, to the top shelf, and then instruct her to pick up the box with an orange logo written on it.I bet she had absolutely no idea what she was selling him/her. Good news for the femmy guy /bordeline trans who is gonna get some dick in his/her coochie this weekend while i'm unfortunately not.

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2021 2:38 AM

R7 Pathetic, isn't it? I would have thought that would be priority #1 for the Biden administration. After all, if we run out of water, we die. And we're running out of water. I think we'll keep churning along for a while, focusing on inconsequential nonsense and running the stock market up at an exponential rate (such an accomplishment), but I don't see the human race lasting another 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2021 2:44 AM

Mass extinctions seem to happen about every 100 million years usually due to climate change and diseases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2021 2:44 AM

All the usually conservative climate scientists are now saying that civilization will collapse and around 6 billion will die. We cannot support more than a billion people comfortably anymore and we have already passed the tipping points.

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2021 2:55 AM

Let’s get a grip on our anxiety disorders.

We die anyway. Nothing lasts. The climate and seeming disintegration of society are alarming but try to be a decent person right now. It’s the best you can personally do. And then you can die with contentment.

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2021 3:03 AM

Stephen Hawking predicted that the entire human species will go extinct within the next 1000 years from a virus from which we will have no defense or treatment.

My edit to that prediction is that it will indeed happen but more likely in 100 to 200 years. Climate change will only hasten it happening.

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2021 3:24 AM

Read the scary WaPo piece on the collapse of the Gulf Stream. It makes [italic]The Day After Tomorrow[/italic] more a documentary than a sci-fi extravaganza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2021 3:43 AM

These times we’re in feel very dystopian to me. Things I read a couple of years ago about the effects of climate change that were predicted to happen in 2050 or so seem to be happening now (more extreme heat waves, flooding, droughts, more wildfires etc.) I thought back then I’m glad I’ll be dead before that happens but now…it’s heeeere. And this pandemic that just won’t quit on top of all that, yikes.

And all we can think and talk and obsess about is Trump and the Republicans and Trump supporters and how much they all SUCK. Fiddling while Rome burns (literally.)

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2021 3:55 AM

Well, i bet they all thought it was the end of the world when the plague killed off half the worlds population.

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2021 4:10 AM

I'm a fan of Paul Coopers podcasts . The Fall Of Civilizations. He really is brilliant. What is past is prologue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2021 4:18 AM

Maybe I'm just burying my head in the sand, but the way I see it, if the world is ending then there's nothing a person like me can do to stop it. It hasn't ended yet so I may as well just enjoy it while I'm still here.

by Anonymousreply 26August 7, 2021 4:30 AM

My life is better than it has ever been right now, by almost any measurable standard.

by Anonymousreply 27August 7, 2021 4:47 AM

OP, can we have your stuff?

by Anonymousreply 28August 7, 2021 4:52 AM

OP, I certainly believe that we’re headed off the planet as a species.

We’re just too fucked up to live here like civilized adults, and inherently do the right thing, and not as an expectation, but as a natural desire that is the standard or the norm, ya know?

Earth will do whatever it does when it purges its parasites off of itself, but us? Yeah. I believe we’re outta here. And I believe that it is the just and fair conclusion to what has been a sometimes horrible, and sometimes fantastic run.

No regrets on my part. I am by nature, a person who believes that the welfare of others is oftentimes, tantamount to mine, especially when I consider the younger generations.

Yep. I actually DO think of the children, and it is still a gob-smacking wake up call, when I hear the bugle blow for the fanfare of “what about ME”?, instead of “what’s to become of us”?

Interestingly enough, I also never thought I’d witness human resistance to what is our main driver, whether consciously or subconsciously, which makes little difference, as it is USUALLY, always paramount to all else:

Our bio-physiological, millions old imperative to instinctually SURVIVE.

You don’t do the “fight or flight” dance with a freakin’ virus. That’s gonna be the most memorable jig anyone will cut, if one’s dance card destines it to be, however, what does it matter, when you’re so sick, you don’t even remember that you never tangoed in Paris, or even in your own living room?

Staying alive appears to have slipped the top of the charts, and me?

I’m gonna wear my mask on my vaccinated mug, and dance until closing time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2021 5:08 AM

[R6], 'Biblically sound' deserves a standing ovation. You prove to us that the end of times dancing girls are concerned only with their high kicks. And you're studying with the Witnesses who don't vote, yet reap the benefits of living in a taxed society, don't celebrate birthdays or holidays, even Christmas. They fucking mentally retarded. And you're worried about the end of days.

by Anonymousreply 30August 7, 2021 5:40 AM

The real ticking time bomb is overpopulation. The migrant streams we see now will pale in comparison with what happens when we hit 10 billion. In our lifetime! During the lifetime if my father world population has quadrupled already. It’s an exponential function...

by Anonymousreply 31August 7, 2021 1:21 PM

[quote]I’m currently studying with the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the fact that we’re living in the end times is, indeed, Biblically sound.

Apocalyptics always believe we're living in the end times. They haven't been right yet.

by Anonymousreply 32August 7, 2021 1:25 PM

Not exactly, but in the short term (next 50 years), it will be a time of major social and political revolution.

And since we all believe fully that we are the only "intelligent" species, we believe we are beyond what we understand conceptually about science, and we are motivated as all animals are by our instincts. We will not stop reproducing, we will not curb our consumption and waste production and hoarding, and we will end up in the "long short term" (75-plus years) self-destructing. We will have wars over wealth, habitable and arable lands, potable water, technologies, etc., it will become haves and have nots only, and then the combined overpopulation and environmental damage will cause more wars, widespread plague, poisoning by contaminated food and water supply, toxic air and water, weather disasters, fires, etc. There will be "Biblical scale" preventable disaster. We know in the abstract that all uncontrolled populations beget their own population crashes in these ways but we absolutely will not self-regulate to prevent it.

The Earth will be fine in the long run. Humanity will collapse. How severely can't be predicted. I doubt all human beings will perish because we are so adaptable, but it may be enough of a mass die off to cause some of our sophisticated technologies to be lost to time, which would be better for the planet and all other living beings.

by Anonymousreply 33August 7, 2021 1:36 PM

Blah, blah, pandemic. Blah, blah, global warming. Blah, blah, fascist takeover. Blah, blah, mass Insanity and violence. Blah, blah, food and water shortages. Phenobarbital. Ahhh.

by Anonymousreply 34August 7, 2021 1:55 PM

R32 One interesting difference is that scientists are kiiiind of suggesting that it could be a real possibility within the foreseeable future. Are they wiser than religious soothsayers? Time will tell.

Another interesting difference is how the human population is growing exponentially and the toll it is taking on environments globally.

Also, according to Hopi (or Navajo?) cosmology, the world of human beings has been destroyed three times already and we are headed toward a fourth ending by our own doing. So at least in their version of reality, it *has* happened before.

by Anonymousreply 35August 7, 2021 2:00 PM

Kind of curious to see what a post-tech post-industrial nu-animist dystopia/utopia will look like, but don’t want to and don’t expect to live through the carnage it will take to get to it. I imagine something out of Miyazaki—like NAUSICAA OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND, but maybe that’s too optimistic...

So instead I’m just hoping the next 60 or so years in the West I have left (I’m almost 30, how’d that happen?) aren’t too sorrowful and painful. Might try to go off-grid, find a piece of land with a well (though that too could be asking for trouble).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 7, 2021 2:22 PM

Look at R33. Nosferatu has entered the chat, oh my!

by Anonymousreply 37August 7, 2021 2:25 PM

R37 I think you must have meant Nostradamus but Nosferatu made me guffaw, so thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 7, 2021 2:27 PM

[quote]I think you must have meant Nostradamus but Nosferatu made me guffaw

You new here?

by Anonymousreply 39August 7, 2021 2:31 PM

There's going to be another 1960s - possibly its this decade, the 20s, that is going to be one fucking orgy once COVID is over. Sex is coming back into fashion in a brand new way and the world will never be the same again.

by Anonymousreply 40August 7, 2021 2:36 PM

JFC. Europeans survived the Bubonic Plague. Native Americans were decimated by smallpox, but they're still around. Humans are resilient.

by Anonymousreply 41August 7, 2021 2:37 PM

R6 are you gay?

by Anonymousreply 42August 7, 2021 2:42 PM

what you are experiencing is the reset button. Things have built up for so long that it reached the breaking point. After we reset we will emerge a much better and stronger place everywhere.

I assure you it is not the end times.

by Anonymousreply 43August 7, 2021 2:47 PM

[quote] Is it necessary to make a thread every single fucking time you get your feathers slightly ruffled with existential angst?

Indeed! Some people need to:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 7, 2021 2:48 PM

I worry about the climate change aspects and how we'll cope with it. I imagine the wealthy will survive in some capacity when the shit hits the fan, whether that's in 60 years or 6 million.

by Anonymousreply 45August 7, 2021 2:49 PM

we can start with this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 7, 2021 3:44 PM

What is he the big Q chief?

by Anonymousreply 47August 7, 2021 3:48 PM

it isn't about Him, it's about the message

by Anonymousreply 48August 7, 2021 3:54 PM

Look. The "end times" is definitely coming ...for some people. Like Anti-masker/Anti vaxxers. And other people who will end their time on earth. BUT not for me. As for our planet? Yeah it is dying a very slow death...slow compared to if a meteor struck us and Boom. I really feel sorry for my niece and nephew's kids. They are 2-3 yrs. old. But 25 years from now they will be dealing with this stuff full time that we're just getting a preview of.

I kind of think that we're going to have other catastrophic events, like this pandemic, and lose a lot of population. I think we will see exploration of outer space speed up and we will start terra forming other planets to see what minerals we can harvest and what will sustain human life. That's our future. It's like, you watch these science fiction movies like The Martian, District 9, and Elysian, and they're really documentaries.

by Anonymousreply 49August 7, 2021 3:55 PM

Scientists = Sorcerers

Teachers= Witches

Faith Based = Superstition

Bathing = Sickness

Illiterate = Home Schooled

Peasant Rule = Trumpers

Been there. Done That.

by Anonymousreply 50August 7, 2021 3:58 PM

oh dear God

some crank has been proclaiming THE END OF TIMES since time began

by Anonymousreply 51August 7, 2021 3:58 PM

OP -- you're welcome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 7, 2021 4:01 PM

The media pushes this idea non-stop. Twitter users capitalize off of the media pushing this.

Turn off the television, shut the laptop, and go outside. You'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 53August 7, 2021 4:03 PM

OP’s parents probably felt the same the day OP was born.

by Anonymousreply 54August 7, 2021 4:13 PM

It appears that none of you are familiar with Buddhist cosmology.

by Anonymousreply 55August 7, 2021 4:25 PM

Climate change is already affecting lives.

Lytton, B.C. broke the record for the highest temperature ever detected in Canada three days straight; its ultimate high of 49.6 C on June 29, 2021. About 600 people died from heat-related causes in the province of 5.1 million.

The state’s official death toll from Winter Storm Uri in Texas in February 2021 is 151. A data analysis performed by BuzzFeed News estimates there were 702 deaths from Winter Storm Uri in Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 7, 2021 4:51 PM

R6 if you are gay and studying with Jehovah's Witnesses, what did you hope to gain from that? They are completely against homosexuality and the amount of rules and micromanaging they have over your life is insurmountable. You really need to do your research before you make any commitments to them, such as getting baptized. The moment you are baptized they have complete control over your friends and family that are also Jehovah's Witnesses. If you choose to leave once you are baptized because you no longer believe, everyone is instructed to shun you like you never existed.

by Anonymousreply 57August 7, 2021 4:57 PM

Damn R57, you just beat me to it.

I was about to ask if R6 told them he/she is gay, and what was their reaction?

We all seem to have the same thought in mind.

by Anonymousreply 58August 7, 2021 5:20 PM

R58 yeah I'm concerned for him or her.

by Anonymousreply 59August 7, 2021 5:22 PM

QUOTE: "Turn off the television, shut the laptop, and go outside. You'll be fine."

IN THIS HEAT AND HUMIDITY??!! ARE YOU MAD??!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 7, 2021 5:30 PM

Here are two of R6 's other posts, both unhinged Jesus-freaky.

[quote]Lil Nas X Covers Out Magazine: So he’s the male black Madonna, at least as far as his sacrilegious imagery is concerned. I have no interest in looking past such an obvious cage rattler into whatever merit his art may have to offer.

[quote]J.K. Rowling loves homophobes: I’m organizing a Henry Potter book burning as I type…

by Anonymousreply 61August 7, 2021 5:58 PM

[quote]R6: I’m currently studying with the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the fact that we’re living in the end times is, indeed, Biblically sound.

'Biblically sound' ≠ 'factually sound.

You don't need to be studying with the JWs, R6. They're a cult.

Vice has a new documentary on them, called 'Crusaders.'

[quote]R9: It’s all in the book of revelations

Ugh.

It's 'Revelation,' not 'revelation𝐬.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 7, 2021 6:01 PM

In the dark ages, bubonic plagues was everywhere, the crusade was ongoing, rape, murders, bodies piling up, and THAT was not even end time. Put on your big girl panty Toots

by Anonymousreply 63August 7, 2021 6:11 PM

Of course these are end times. So were all the others.

We’ll confront our ecological foes now and in the future through innovation and scientific methods as they arise, not through the mass fear stoked conspiracy theories! .

by Anonymousreply 64August 7, 2021 6:37 PM

R64.

by Anonymousreply 65August 7, 2021 6:42 PM

There is no great beyond.

by Anonymousreply 66August 7, 2021 7:36 PM

I'll settle for a great behind.

by Anonymousreply 67August 7, 2021 9:19 PM

America sees a “turning” every 20 years as one generation displaces another, and the dynamic between one particular generation entering “elderhood” and another entering “young adulthood” creates a crisis every 80 years, according to a theory prophesied in Neil Howe and William Strauss’ “The Fourth Turning.” The authors wrote that the next crisis-era would start around 2005 and “climax” around 2020, and would involve millennials and boomers fighting over the shape of the world to come. There are some similarities between recent events and the book’s predictions: The 2008 financial crisis can be seen as the catalyst they mentioned, and in 2020 and early 2021, unrest has shaken the economy, politics, and the economy. It’s unclear whether the fourth turning as Howe and Strauss characterised it really is happening right now – but the parallels are certainly eye-catching.

by Anonymousreply 68August 8, 2021 4:06 PM

People have been predicting "The End Of Times" almost as long as there have been people and they have all been wrong, excuse me OP, but what makes you special?

While we are at it, let me make my prediction, "The End Of Times" will not come from mankind, but instead from outer space in the form of an asteroid. Fortunately none of us will be around for me to claim I was right.

by Anonymousreply 69August 8, 2021 4:15 PM

[quote] I’m currently studying with the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the fact that we’re living in the end times is, indeed, Biblically sound.

Well since the Jehovah's Witnesses, you and the Bible are all fucking nuts, excuse me if I have a hard time taking you seriously. However since you believe int he Bible Matthew 24 says

[quote] Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son

so admit you are fucking nuts and don't know shit, either that or you don't believe the word of God.

by Anonymousreply 70August 8, 2021 4:25 PM

Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult. Run far and run fast.

by Anonymousreply 71August 8, 2021 4:29 PM

You can run, but they turn your family against you (when applicable).

by Anonymousreply 72August 8, 2021 4:30 PM

A true End of Times would look radically different from what we are currently experiencing. It would be hell on earth. I think change is coming and globalization has peaked due to covid. With all the paranoia now, I don't see how we will be able to avoid a world war, unless we learn to become more tolerant of each other. I have been watching a lot of WW2 videos lately and find it fascinating how a series of mini "breaking points" led to the catastrophe of war and what does seem like the most hellish period of the modern era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 8, 2021 4:44 PM

R53 - we can’t go outside; there’s too much wildfire smoke.

by Anonymousreply 74August 8, 2021 4:52 PM

I hope it is quick and painless. The idea of suffering from heat, floods, hunger, thirst, violence, ect. is what haunts me the most. I keep thinking "damnit! The one world order nutters were right!" The ones I always have mocked. The elite take over and enslave, murder, consume us. Obama and his " fuck everyone, including the environment" party felt like the very last remaining, tiny remains of hope that the 1% were not in total unity on this. That someone in the elite still had some decency left. Nope. I was brought up to have a belief in a God, Jesus, but the southern evangelicals that I was surrounded surrounded by in Georgia changed me to an atheist. Now I do not know if that was out if anger and spite towards them or my actual belief. The Bible was obviously written by men in control and determined to stay that way. I just can not stomach it. I feel time is running very short and I should not be confused at this point. Other than fear and dread, it is anger that is impossible to deal with. No rule of law for the elite, connected, no matter party.

by Anonymousreply 75August 8, 2021 4:58 PM

People living in the final decades of an civilization rarely realize it. Denial is too strong.

by Anonymousreply 76August 8, 2021 5:17 PM

[quote]Obama and his " fuck everyone, including the environment" party

Well, that's your belief system and fear poking its head through, R75. You can;t recognize the difference between the people who are trying to solve the problems and the people who are causing the problems.

No political system is perfect, and no politician can solve every problem facing the nation (and/or the world), but to suggest that the Obama administration bears as much responsibility for the issues facing us as Bush the younger's and/or the hellscape wrought by Trump is the height of false equivalency.

by Anonymousreply 77August 8, 2021 6:23 PM

You are blind, R77

by Anonymousreply 78August 8, 2021 6:38 PM

Hold me, David. I'm scared.

by Anonymousreply 79August 8, 2021 6:45 PM

[quote]"The End Of Times" will not come from mankind, but instead from outer space in the form of an asteroid. Fortunately none of us will be around for me to claim I was right.

I disagree, R69; the likelihood of an asteroid hitting Earth is infinitesimally small as compared to the ongoing, abundantly obvious destruction of the planet's ecosystem. We all like to think that every story has a climax in which everything is resolved or concluded, and death is at the center of most of these stories. The reality, however, is far different. The vast majority of people die quietly, alone, and without fanfare of even notice. I don't even like it when doomsdayers put this idea out there that there will be a calamitous tipping point as though the oceans will suddenly rise and consume cities, or the temperatures will rapidly change and either freeze or cook people laying in their beds. The reality is that the changes that will kill humans are going to be — no, are — slow, painful, multi-generational and very, very difficult to explain to people who believe that the world should bend to their will.

by Anonymousreply 80August 8, 2021 6:45 PM

Couching this question in terms of biblical and apocalyptic “end times” language unnecessarily obfuscates the very real and alarming threat that we are facing from climate change. No, the world is not ending, but the current version of how we live our lives very well may be in the near future.

In 2020, as we were locked down, people said that we couldn’t and shouldn’t go back to life as it was pre-pandemic. Sure that sounded like a good idea. During that period, we saw a lessened burden on the environment because people were hunkered down at home, which was good. But that goal was obviously unattainable, because returning to life as it was in 2019 is precisely what we are doing. Going right back to using resources without a thought about the consequences. Those warnings that we heard about in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s have all been modified by moving up the timetables for the potential catastrophic events. They started out cautioning people about severe climate change problems in the next century. Then those warnings were moved up to later this century. Now, the looming serious problems are imminent.

End times? It will depend on how you define that term. But, it may sure seem like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 9, 2021 3:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!