Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Kai the Hitchhiker' loses bid to overturn murder conviction

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — A former online celebrity who became known for allegedly using a hatchet to fend off an attack on a highway worker failed in his attempt to have his conviction in a 2013 murder overturned.

Caleb McGillvary was convicted two years ago of the 2013 murder of attorney Joseph Galfy at Galfy’s New Jersey home. The two had met in New York’s Times Square, and McGillvary claimed he killed the older man while fending off a sexual assault. He is serving a 57-year sentence.

Among many arguments in his appeal, the Alberta, Canada, native claimed the jury’s verdict wasn’t justified by the evidence presented and that prosecutors committed misconduct by mischaracterizing the evidence and McGillvary's defense. He also accused the trial judge of improperly allowing highly prejudicial expert testimony.

In rejecting all of McGillvary's arguments in its opinion Wednesday, the appeals court noted that the medical examiner's testimony showed Galfy's injuries were so severe that they were the result of “far more than than just an effort to thwart a sexual advance," in the opinion of the trial judge.

“The record does not suggest a miscarriage of justice occurred,” the two-judge panel wrote.

McGillvary became known as “Kai, the Hatchet-wielding Hitchhiker” after a 2012 incident in California. In a TV interview viewed millions of times online, he described using a hatchet he was carrying to repeatedly hit a man who had struck the worker with his car, and also fend off a further attack on two women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 6, 2021 2:34 AM

He's Canadian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 5, 2021 10:01 PM

He just happened to have a hatchet handy?

by Anonymousreply 2August 5, 2021 10:04 PM

Who? I don't understand who killed whom, where, how, or why. Please summarize.

by Anonymousreply 3August 5, 2021 10:04 PM

The kid killed the older guy because of the so-called "gay panic."

Caleb was 24 years old (at the time), and he met 73 year old Joseph Galfy in Times Square.

They went back to Galfy's house, and that's where Caleb hatcheted him to death, saying that Galfy was going to "sexually assault" him.

But he got a 57 year sentence any way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2021 10:09 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2021 10:11 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2021 10:13 PM

I think I met this guy in the video booths 2012. I remember him because he had brand new white underwear and a nice piece.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2021 10:20 PM

The face tatoo might have been a red flag

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2021 10:23 PM

Take stupid chances, win stupid prizes.

by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2021 10:30 PM

That’s why they call it “rough trade.”

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2021 10:46 PM

They went all the way from Times Square to New Jersey?

WTF.

Just blow him in a nearby restroom.

Then throw him 20 bucks.

Lessens your chances of being killed.

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2021 11:35 PM

He looks like he needs to be de-loused.

by Anonymousreply 12August 6, 2021 12:48 AM

I couldn't make head nor tail of this thread til I went to the Wiki page. He sure gets around: Canada, California, NYC...

I bet there are other victims of his rage out there in shallow graves. He probably rode railroad box cars around the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 6, 2021 1:23 AM

Back in my long ago youth Id have taken him home too. But Id hope by age 73 Id have long stopped being that risky.

by Anonymousreply 14August 6, 2021 2:03 AM

Can one still find rough trade (or any sort of trade) in Times Square? How? Where? How much? I thought Times Square was cleaned up (deloused!) in the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 15August 6, 2021 2:13 AM

Wow. I only skimmed the first few articles and didn’t realize there was that bizarre backstory. I remember that video when it went viral. Same guy! Weird and creepy.

by Anonymousreply 16August 6, 2021 2:28 AM

On Wikipedia:

“Do you know how many hot chicks—never mind. Even if I was gay, do you know how many hot guys wanted to fuck me after that shit in California? I'm not even being vain. It's just a fact, like—no offense, but he [Galfy] was not a looker.”

by Anonymousreply 17August 6, 2021 2:30 AM

R17, explain that quote. Who? What? With whom?

by Anonymousreply 18August 6, 2021 2:31 AM

R18 the wikipedia article is quite brief

by Anonymousreply 19August 6, 2021 2:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!