Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

They found that missing runner, Philip Krycik

Just FYI.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240August 30, 2021 5:38 AM

Found in a heavily wooded area a quarter mile away from the main path....

by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2021 3:51 PM

Volunteer Justin is a very sexy daddy and looked good in those running shorts.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2021 3:53 PM

OP you and the Youtube description spelled his name wrong, there’s a “e” in there.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2021 3:54 PM

I think the body will tell all. They need to be meticulous, however.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2021 3:55 PM

R1 They said he was on a path usually used by animals, I wonder with all these bobcat and coyote confrontations he met one and tried to evade it by takings another path of least resistance and panicked and knocked himself out looking back and running.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2021 3:57 PM

R3, thanks. I just copied and pasted the spelling in the video description. My mistake.

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2021 3:59 PM

Yooohoooo! Capt Lance Breed, I’m over heeeeeeerrreee!

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2021 4:01 PM

R6 Just mentioned it because searching on it won’t bring it up, not being bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2021 4:02 PM

“Yooohoooo! Capt Lance Breed, I’m over heeeeeeerrreee!”

R7 is asking for a Breeding.

by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2021 4:17 PM

Too lean! I demand a refund!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2021 4:20 PM

Off-trail cruising anal gone wrong.

by Anonymousreply 11August 4, 2021 4:29 PM

R7 Capt. Breed is breeding me first.

by Anonymousreply 12August 4, 2021 4:31 PM

Poor guy RIP

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2021 4:33 PM

It is very easy to get lost in the woods. I live in the woods and it is very easy to lose your bearings. Poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2021 4:40 PM

What can I say? Gotta lotta mouths to feed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 4, 2021 5:26 PM

What happened to the woman who went missing in the Pyrenees? Her boyfriend was spent the past months scouring the mountains, searching for her.

by Anonymousreply 16August 4, 2021 5:27 PM

The photos don't really show him in the woods, he was under a tree in at the very edge of a wooded area that looked relatively clear, not like unkempt woodlands. I think there was a "game trail" through the area though I didn't quite understand what the game trail was actually for. Park rangers, I suppose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 4, 2021 5:30 PM

Game trails are the trails wild animals make as pathways through the woods, usually deer.

by Anonymousreply 18August 4, 2021 5:33 PM

He looks suspiciously similar to David Messerschmidt, the victim of the Soft Butch Sous Chef Murderer, a DL classic case which, I believe, was actually solved here.

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2021 5:45 PM

R14. True, I hike in 200 acres of woods… for years, and still get turned around sometimes. GPS is a great help.

Sad and a cautionary story. Always have your phone.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2021 5:47 PM

[quote] Always have your phone.

He probably had his iPod, however. What music was on it?

by Anonymousreply 21August 5, 2021 1:39 AM

[quote]I think there was a "game trail" through the area.

Monopoly? Parcheesi? Charades? Pictionary? Scattagories? The Game of Life? (He certainly lost that one.)

by Anonymousreply 22August 5, 2021 1:53 AM

How long then was he gone - days total until his body was located?

by Anonymousreply 23August 5, 2021 3:15 AM

It’s weird that he was so far off the trail. Maybe he had to take a dump.

by Anonymousreply 24August 5, 2021 3:28 AM

Sounds like heat disorientation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 5, 2021 3:32 AM

Part 5 thread on this was created yesterday and then deleted last night for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 26August 5, 2021 3:34 AM

Why does he have so many K-Pop boy band members on his wall? And he looks so so much better here than the other thread’s picture.

by Anonymousreply 27August 5, 2021 3:57 AM

[quote] He probably had his iPod, however. What music was on it?

Climb Every Mountain ?

by Anonymousreply 28August 5, 2021 4:07 AM

Ban running!

by Anonymousreply 29August 5, 2021 4:11 AM

I mistook a deer trail for a human-made footpath. I only realized it because the trail was unusually straight. The land I was hiking on was bounded on all four side by roads, so I eventually found my way out.

by Anonymousreply 30August 5, 2021 4:59 AM

I'm not an expert, but I did grow up in the country and hiked often as a kid. As an adult,Ii've had periods where I've spent many months going on weekly hikes, and I have to say that I have never had any problems discerning the difference between a game path and a human path. Not trying to be an asshole, just that I've hiked in a variety of different parks/recreational areas and maybe it's because i grew up being outside, active, in nature in areas with lots of wildlife and can tell the difference.

This was either heat exhaustion/confusion or an animal encounter gone baad.

by Anonymousreply 31August 5, 2021 5:10 AM

r31 here - sorry for the variety of spelling mistakes above. My apologies.

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2021 5:13 AM

Photos & vid of the terrain where he was found. He may have been trying to cut down to the road for help? Had he stayed on the trail he likely would have been found the day he went missing, alive. Very sad. Heat can be so dangerous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2021 5:22 AM

Maybe he was suffering from heat exhaustion and went for cover in the trees. It’s sad but a relief for his family that they found him.

by Anonymousreply 34August 5, 2021 5:27 AM

Even something as simple as a whistle, and a brightly colored shirt, in addition to a charged phone and water could have made all the difference. He was not far from houses and would have been able to hear the highway and BART. So sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 5, 2021 5:30 AM

[quote] What happened to the woman who went missing in the Pyrenees? Her boyfriend was spent the past months scouring the mountains, searching for her.

They found her body last week.

by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2021 5:33 AM

sad; kids growing up without a dad.

it fucks you up.

by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2021 5:36 AM

I've long thought that cell phones should be able to broadcast an SOS signal that has your GPS coordinates embedded in it. Activate it with a touch of an app. And have a solar charger built into the phone.

by Anonymousreply 38August 5, 2021 5:52 AM

Was he found running in Tokyo?

by Anonymousreply 39August 5, 2021 5:55 AM

he didn't have his phone with him r 38, he left it in the car for some bizarre reason.

by Anonymousreply 40August 5, 2021 5:58 AM

And who in CA would ever think to leave their phone AND keys in the car while on a run/hike?! isn't that just a recipe for disaster/stolen car? that's a bit of the weird part about this whole story. i don't know anybody who would do that unless they lived in a small bumfuck town.

by Anonymousreply 41August 5, 2021 6:11 AM

[quote] Even something as simple as a whistle, and a brightly colored shirt, in addition to a charged phone and water could have made all the difference.

He didn’t want all of that shit weighing him down so he left them in the car.

by Anonymousreply 42August 5, 2021 6:35 AM

so r42 , no sense of self-preservation at all. i just seems off in a way. or just an idiot who felt he was invincible maybe.

by Anonymousreply 43August 5, 2021 6:38 AM

i have to say on a long haul hike i would NEVER leave my phone or keys in the car. I'm talking 5 plus hour hikes. i know he was runner but still, like...how stupid was he in that heat to not have his keys or phone or hydration. it's all still kind of weird.

by Anonymousreply 44August 5, 2021 6:57 AM

R31, people familiar with that area said it was easy to get the game trails confused with the running trails.

by Anonymousreply 45August 5, 2021 9:10 AM

R44, I said that a couple of times myself in the other threads (which are getting deleted for absolutely no reason). I'd bet the wife called police so quickly because she knew he shouldn't have been out running in that heat in the first place, but he did it anyway. Then he didn't take his phone, or any water, and apparently wasn't even that familiar with the area to begin with. He made a lot of bad decisions.

by Anonymousreply 46August 5, 2021 9:12 AM

R46, I agree! Running in that heat, in the first place. His wife probably warned him not to. He probably left his phone behind so he could feel untethered.

Very unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 47August 5, 2021 9:36 AM

Yes, it was a horrible mistake most likely.

by Anonymousreply 48August 5, 2021 11:29 AM

What prison was he running from and why weren’t people more concerned about him being on the loose?

by Anonymousreply 49August 5, 2021 12:41 PM

I'm afraid not to take my phone when I take less than a half a mile walk to a busy park near my house that I walk around.

Poor guy; Poor family. They have closure and I hope good friends to help the wife and kids move forward. You never move on; you just keep going.

by Anonymousreply 50August 5, 2021 1:09 PM

That freak probably poisoned him or dehydrated him by forcing him to drink a beer (??) in the middle of a hike.

by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2021 1:16 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2021 2:35 PM

I hope the watch data shows that he died quickly, so he did not suffer and because if he lingered for a day or 2 will be very hard on the searchers, who were so close but not close enough.

There was a building on that land bank property, perhaps he was trying to get to it for help? Would be like this case from earlier this summer where a hiker in distress sought help but the house's occupants were away, or in the case of PRP, had sold the property to the park decades ago, so there was no one living there.

Some of the slopes in the park have such steep trails that golf shoes or soccer cleats are recommended by locals for traction. If he was running up steep inclines in extreme heat it would not take long to overheat. He was used to running in Berkeley and Mass. In the texts on Fri he seemed aware of heat risks but then seemed to completely discount them on Sat, fitting in a package return earlier, when it would have been cooler to run. Running in an unfamiliar area where he seemed to miss a turn and get lost on game trails. Said to be a smart guy but with no real appreciation for risk or felt invincible.

That he could hear the highway traffic and BART and STILL die from the elements should be a wake up call to others re: safety protocols and esp the heat.

by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2021 2:44 PM

[quote] Why does he have so many K-Pop boy band members on his wall?

Good eye, R27. That is kind of odd.

by Anonymousreply 54August 5, 2021 2:51 PM

It is a hair salon.

by Anonymousreply 55August 5, 2021 2:58 PM

[quote]Monopoly? Parcheesi? Charades? Pictionary? Scattagories? The Game of Life? (He certainly lost that one.)

OMG, Parcheesi?! I haven't read or heard anyone mention that since my grandmother died. And I am an eldergay.

She loved it.

by Anonymousreply 56August 5, 2021 3:06 PM

The family will be doing a press conference @ 12:30 Pacific time today.

by Anonymousreply 57August 5, 2021 3:08 PM

[quote] OMG, Parcheesi?! I haven't read or heard anyone mention that since my grandmother died. And I am an eldergay. She loved it.

Bless her heart.

by Anonymousreply 58August 5, 2021 3:11 PM

Not only no phone but no water too. How stupid can you be?

by Anonymousreply 59August 5, 2021 4:29 PM

Family is about to speak

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 5, 2021 4:44 PM

Video link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 5, 2021 4:44 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 5, 2021 4:46 PM

"They said he was on a path usually used by animals"

Let Nature take its course.

by Anonymousreply 63August 5, 2021 4:53 PM

Long-distance running is an addiction. This guy underestimated the heat.

by Anonymousreply 64August 5, 2021 4:59 PM

"He probably had his iPod, however. What music was on it?"

The soundtrack of "Cruising" (1981).

by Anonymousreply 65August 5, 2021 5:02 PM

Just watched a bit of the family press conference. Wife is utterly shattered. Felt so intrusive. Very sad.

Hopefully this will lead to greater awareness of safety around heat and in outdoor recreation. Maybe his legacy can save another life.

It is SO cool in the Bay area, esp when he ran in early mornings and then to the baking extreme temps that day on the ridge, his body was too taxed. Hope he died quickly, if not, will be so hard for those who did their best searching.

by Anonymousreply 66August 5, 2021 5:08 PM

Agree, R64, the climate inland is SO different from the Bay despite being so close. Locals used the park very early that day, few were recreating at noon. He even delayed the run to do a package return. The reality of the risk and of the actual temps on the exposed ridge just did not register. So odd since he mentioned heat concerns in the text.

So sad for those young kids. Glad his wife has a career and lots of family support. She likely thinks back on how busy their lives were and wishes she could have some of that time back. She was right to know the heat was dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 67August 5, 2021 5:11 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 5, 2021 5:19 PM

Is that heatwave still on? He must be badly decomposed

by Anonymousreply 69August 5, 2021 5:29 PM

It continued for several days, R69. After 3+ weeks, yes.

by Anonymousreply 70August 5, 2021 5:40 PM

Has he been cremated yet?

by Anonymousreply 71August 5, 2021 5:46 PM

I imagine besides the heat, the animals and insects were picking at him. Poor man. ☹️

by Anonymousreply 72August 5, 2021 5:52 PM

R42 = Sophia Petrillo, dodging Burger Kings on Collins Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 73August 5, 2021 5:54 PM

Runners and bicyclists are so nuts.

by Anonymousreply 74August 5, 2021 6:02 PM

So he didn't fake his own death and run away?!!!

by Anonymousreply 75August 5, 2021 6:08 PM

My theory is that a dingo dragged him off the path to where he was eventually found.

by Anonymousreply 76August 5, 2021 6:10 PM

If you want to run without your phone, get an Apple Watch with cellular.

by Anonymousreply 77August 5, 2021 6:18 PM

In my mind, part of what led to his death, is that like most people, you just don’t think you’re going to die that day. You get up and do your routine stuff and plan your day. You’ve lived many years with no bad things happening to you so you don’t think, ‘am I going to die today?’ He weighed the risks, was probably comfortable in his abilities and just went for it like he always did.

by Anonymousreply 78August 5, 2021 6:26 PM

Totally, R78. It’s always surprising to me when I see these kinds of things and think, “That person had no idea he/she was going to be dead before the day was over.” Actor Jay Pickett’s death was a recent example.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 5, 2021 6:39 PM

It was the soft butch sous chef!!!

by Anonymousreply 80August 5, 2021 6:57 PM

Too bad. He was kind of cute ☺️.

by Anonymousreply 81August 5, 2021 7:02 PM

Here is a vid of the family. My heart goes out to the wife in particular. That they are focused on expressing gratitude for the community support and volunteers shows they are nice folks.

So sad. Hopefully the kids will not be risk takers.

I hope he died quickly, if he lingered for days, awful to think of him suffering and will be tortuous for the volunteers. He may have died that afternoon. And Jen can know she called it in so quickly. Glad LE was available and responded quickly. CT is a quirky dude but we all would hope we'd have lots of folks looking for us if we went missing.

How we think about risk is a curious thing. He texted @ the heat on Friday but by Saturday it did not seem to be even a question, the start time was SO late. In an unfamiliar area, with no phone and water, just no margin if anything went wrong. Fewer people in the park at that time and locals were more acclimated to the heat and more cautious, the park was busier earlier. He was projecting much much cooler Berkeley or Mass temps onto the Sat experience. Had he made the correct turn the trail would have taken him down to his car. Instead, the game trail may have seemed like a shortcut or shady.

Heat stroke can kill, be careful out there folks. And if you have had it once you are more susceptible. The brain does not work well when it gets extremely overheated.

RIP Philip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 5, 2021 7:10 PM

Please add some of those twistable cold packs to your day pack if you hike or camp and add to your vest if you trail run. "They are pretty light and if placed on the back of the neck, knees and in groin can help lower core temp. You may save a life. Water is very effective too, if there is a stream, creek or lake. Otherwise, wetting the person and their clothing, fanning and shade can help. Once I started to feel ill, my perception of the danger/risk changed. Use a buddy system. Also, a whistle is simple and cheap and may bring help if you are in a phone dead spot. Bright colored clothes make your easier to spot.

Such a waste, really young guy.

by Anonymousreply 83August 5, 2021 7:16 PM

Heatstroke is a condition caused by your body overheating, usually as a result of prolonged exposure to or physical exertion in high temperatures. This most serious form of heat injury, heatstroke, can occur if your body temperature rises to 104 F (40 C) or higher. The condition is most common in the summer months. Heatstroke requires emergency treatment. Untreated heatstroke can quickly damage your brain...

Not only was he exposed to triple digit temps on the sun baked ridge, which we was not used to, he was ALSO heavily exerting himself, he was known to run at an 8 mile per hour pace on hills.

He had a little experience running in hot conditions in Mass but nothing like the heat in PRP that day.

I hope the family launches a public safety campaign, or Chris or someone.

by Anonymousreply 84August 5, 2021 7:28 PM

Well, I guess like Jim Fixx he died doing what he loved, and at least he’ll never have to have knee replacement surgery.

by Anonymousreply 85August 5, 2021 8:42 PM

Quedtion: if a body is in very poor condition is there a legal requirement to cremate it?

by Anonymousreply 86August 5, 2021 8:47 PM

No, but an open casket is considered to be in very poor taste.

by Anonymousreply 87August 5, 2021 8:54 PM

I think the boyfriend of the woman hiker in the Pyrenees had something to do with her dying. A PI revealed that their relationship was troubled and not so happy as presented on instragram.

by Anonymousreply 88August 5, 2021 9:02 PM

Does a casket contain the stench?

by Anonymousreply 89August 5, 2021 9:03 PM

Horrifying, although the morbid curiosity side of me does want to know exactly what condition the body was in. I know - sick - but I can't help but wonder.

by Anonymousreply 90August 5, 2021 9:05 PM

There are a lot of twisted people on this thread. This guy died leaving a 3yr old and 10 month old. Take your sick fascination with decomp elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 91August 5, 2021 9:07 PM

No one said they wanted to SEE, R91, just want to know - basically the exact cause of death.

by Anonymousreply 92August 5, 2021 9:08 PM

It will be announced, R92, likely heat related, it was 106 F on the ridge that day.

His cause of death is one thing, a sick troll musing about decomp deserves blocking.

By the way, CT, drinking alcohol the night before running in high temps is not advised, maybe that is why neither Phil nor David drank beer in the middle of running. Phil was concerned about the heat, maybe if you had not downplayed it he would have run early in Berkeley and would be alive today. Don't always have the last word, you were wrong re the heat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 5, 2021 9:20 PM

The family news conference was heartbreaking 💔

by Anonymousreply 94August 5, 2021 9:36 PM

This "gay activist" sick MFr probably posts here. WTAF is wrong with him.

Agree, R94. His wife is just shattered. What she said was lovely. Life is fragile and beautiful and we should all hug our loved ones. Wish her and the wee tots all the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95August 5, 2021 9:38 PM

Jen Yao

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 5, 2021 9:42 PM

You know the guy who found him took photos. Just a matter of time.

by Anonymousreply 97August 5, 2021 9:43 PM

Not necessarily R97. Many people still have basic human decency.

by Anonymousreply 98August 5, 2021 9:46 PM

They'll be crime scene photos as well.

by Anonymousreply 99August 5, 2021 9:57 PM

So how will he who shall not be named occupy his time now? Is he still updating that google doc?

by Anonymousreply 100August 5, 2021 10:08 PM

He's said he will describe the location, etc, once LE is finished with scene. Then, dunno after that.

Maybe it will be an addition to the Google doc, not sure. He has posted at WS a few times since body found.

Terribly sad. Hopefully this will save other lives by helping people understand the danger. He would not have wanted to leave his family if he accurately assessed the risks.

by Anonymousreply 101August 5, 2021 10:11 PM

Which ones would those be, R99? Are you that Gerard Courcy freak still trying for attention at the expense of the grieving family? Another gay I would really rather not be associated with. Dude died from the heat, was 106+ up there and he was running up hills. Why don't you try it and let us know how it goes for you?

by Anonymousreply 102August 5, 2021 10:13 PM

One man dies, and another enthusiastically gains a career?

This whole situation is sick. And the fact that he pushed that beer in him the day before is probably what did him in. He was hung over and trying to hike but didn’t realize it because he didn’t drink and hike as a matter of course, unlike our alcoholic stalker who just had to tip the scales.

Super sad.

by Anonymousreply 103August 5, 2021 10:27 PM

[quote] This whole situation is sick. And the fact that he pushed that beer in him the day before is probably what did him in.

Oh, please. He did this to himself. He made mistakes and regrettably paid the price.

by Anonymousreply 104August 5, 2021 11:14 PM

Everybody blaming here for not having his phone with him but what if maybe he just forgot about it. I know I always have my phone but there are times it just slipped from my mind.

by Anonymousreply 105August 5, 2021 11:28 PM

What does Philip do for a living?

by Anonymousreply 106August 6, 2021 12:08 AM

So this dude was gay?

“In the increasingly perplexing #philipkreycik case no one has considered whether his sexuality played a role - major or minor. That includes any fetishes or fantasies he may have had or made known. Sources say he was not entirely hetero and not wholly happy in his relationships”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 6, 2021 12:11 AM

R107 that person is a psycho - don't pay attention or give it any - just checking out its twitter feed, it is a psychotic troll, and not in the funny way

by Anonymousreply 108August 6, 2021 12:14 AM

Isn’t there a DL thing that white guys married to Asian women are usually Gay? That’s not just a stereotype right?

by Anonymousreply 109August 6, 2021 12:16 AM

R95 "client has engaged me..." riiiiiight

by Anonymousreply 110August 6, 2021 12:17 AM

R109 that's not a stereotype, and is not repeated or thought anywhere but DL - just one of many stupid things made up around here

by Anonymousreply 111August 6, 2021 12:18 AM

Perhaps, R109, it was because among other closet cases, Soft Butch Sous Chef’s victim’s wife also was Asian.

by Anonymousreply 112August 6, 2021 12:58 AM

Wasn’t the gay fisted newsacaster’s wife Asian?

by Anonymousreply 113August 6, 2021 12:59 AM

R113, yes

by Anonymousreply 114August 6, 2021 1:09 AM

You are so wrong, r111.

by Anonymousreply 115August 6, 2021 2:22 AM

Mitch “Dishornorable discharge due to Sodomy” McConnell too.

by Anonymousreply 116August 6, 2021 3:17 AM

His wife looks like an Asian guy in a dress.

by Anonymousreply 117August 6, 2021 3:38 AM

What grown adult leaves their phone & car keys IN THEIR CAR whilst they go into deep woods or anywhere, for that matter? This is sketchy AF! His body was moved to where they found him I’m betting. Anyone who goes into woods alone and not prepared is taking the risk so it’s hard to feel badly for them when nature takes over. I feel badly for his family because he was being selfish going alone knowing the risks. But this one has stunk from day one of a sinister reason for his disappearance.

by Anonymousreply 118August 6, 2021 3:49 AM

R118, there are so many unbelievable things about this story.

I still wonder: where were his car keys?

by Anonymousreply 119August 6, 2021 10:10 AM

CT is still at it, mansplaining on Websleuths. Extra defensive, too.

A few comments about the “tunnel vision” of the search scope and reliance on Strava must have upset him.

I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know anything about any of it (Strava, trail running, why anyone would run in that kind of heat) but I also don’t understand why the search relied so heavily on a route he had mapped out a year prior and couldn’t be accessed from where he parked.

by Anonymousreply 120August 6, 2021 10:29 AM

Had they already searched that area where he was found and missed him the first time around?

by Anonymousreply 121August 6, 2021 11:17 AM

Many runners run w/o a phone. This time, it was a fatal error, although many EB parks have limited cell coverage.

The car was locked.

He died from the heat. Gerard stop posting here trying to make your tweet ravings and LGBTQIA+++++++++ work happen.

by Anonymousreply 122August 6, 2021 12:33 PM

Nearby but no, R121.

by Anonymousreply 123August 6, 2021 12:36 PM

It is my understanding that there were 2 routes for PRP on his phone, one old and one new.

They searched extensively around the main trails. This was some distance from that, off a game trail.

My theory is that he saw/heard the highway and thought the game trail was a trail that would act as a shortcut to bring him back down. Or he was very disoriented from the heat already and missed the turn on the main trail and mistook the game trail for it.

It was said all along that the trees and areas of dense foliage would limit the usefulness of drones and heat seeking equipment. Also, it was so hot the day he ran and the day after that the heat seeking equipment was of less utility, then it probably did not matter. The ridge is very exposed up there, people instinctively seek shade when they have heat stroke.

Even a whistle can be life saving, requires little energy to blow, sound carries, adds no weight when running or hiking.

I really hope he died quickly, did not suffer and that this becomes a cautionary tale that saves other lives.

What does CT have to say on WS? So odd that he is posting there and not on Reddit, etc. But, if I ever go missing, hope a friend/acquaintance will look for me, even if he is an odd duck. I am glad that the individual guy searching found him, so his family can give him a proper burial and not worry that he is out there somewhere.

Locals said that the land bank land is not signed and that the game trails can be misleading.

Has CT addressed his downplaying of the heat in the text messages? It was ultimately P's call but that would be hard to live with. He did really commit to the search though. Very sad outcome. He and his family seem like nice folks, he had friends fly in from all over to help search.

The dude ranting about the GFM on Twitter is an attention seeking disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 124August 6, 2021 12:51 PM

R119, the keys could have been on him. Some runners will put on top of a tire, etc.

The car was locked, his wallet and phone were found inside, presumably in the glove box.

Given that, why are you curious about keys in particular? What makes you think the keys were not with him?

He tragically misjudged the heat. Not only can you get heat stroke from just being out in 106+ degree weather, you can also get it from exercising in said weather. Athletes in training camps and HS football, etc, have been known to die in close proximity to help. Heat stroke can come on quickly. It is not just drinking water, that is not that useful at that point, it is the need to quickly and effectively lower core body temp. Water and ice are most effective - a stream or lake if outdoors, a cool bath or ice packs at pulse points if available.

This reminds me of the other sad hiker death story earlier this summer, a woman in heat distress sought help but the house was unoccupied, the owners were away. Wonder if PK saw the building on the old Poole property, either visually or on a map downloaded to his watch and thought he might find help there?

by Anonymousreply 125August 6, 2021 1:02 PM

It makes sense that searches focused closer to the trail, it is also more navigable terrain.

"Silacci said initially, authorities thought the location the body was found was about a quarter mile off the northernmost edge of Kreycik’s intended running route, but Thursday Silacci said it was found closer to a mile away from the route. Many of the searches were focused on areas close to the running route."

He seemed to miss a turn and got caught in the land bank area where there are fences, etc. Wonder if that will be downplayed for liability reasons? There should be better signage.

by Anonymousreply 126August 6, 2021 1:09 PM

[quote]The dude ranting about the GFM on Twitter is an attention seeking disgrace.

Several of his tweets sound exactly like threads here on DL. He at least reads here if not posts here.

by Anonymousreply 127August 6, 2021 1:11 PM

Agree, R127.

Someone said this on WS, anyone know where this came from?

"I don't find it nefarious, I find it troubling. I'm not sure he "felt safe," and it's possible he wanted the thrill of the unknown. He told friends that the temperature range that day was at his "upper end" of what he thought he could do..."

Sadly, whether he said it or not, was true. I read most of the AMA as it was written in real time but have not been back.

Crazy how wilderness and nature can kill right in view and sound of highways and BART trains. Heat is no joke. Given his prior outdoor experience in New England and East Coast he may have been more informed about and wary of hypothermia rather than hyperthermia. Berkeley was what, 30 degrees cooler that day?

Hope the kids are not thrill seeking. Poor Jen. People questioned her calling it in so quickly but her instinct to be worried was spot on. Thankfully LE went right away and everyone mounted a huge and well intentioned search. Tragically it did not end better. But, all can live with their actions. Even CT tried hard and was out there boots on the ground.

by Anonymousreply 128August 6, 2021 1:16 PM

Pulling whole quote from WS, it explains better how he may, like the hiker who died this summer seeking help from an unoccupied home, have been heading the way he was to FIND help. There are a lot of confusing maps of that land bank area of trails that do not yet exist, etc. And he may have been trying to avoid going back on more difficult terrain if he was already struggling. Very sad that his body gave out. Sometimes we misperceive or underestimate risks and it works out. Had he understood the risk I am confident he would have chosen to see those young kids grow up.

"To me, where he was found is important to understanding his death, so thanks for this update. And knowing whether he ran in PR that day or not. Looking forward to seeing data from his smartwatch. Just seems so odd unless there was a severe injury or foul play. He was not where he was supposed to be. Why? MOO Philip's masters degree was in urban planning and he could have skimmed the Land Use document for Pleasanton Ridge and headed north in the direction of the house that is the EBRPD security/maintenance in the north portion of the park to get help on purpose. Also he may have headed toward the Emergency Vehicle Access point in the north part of the park intentionally. He may also have thought Devany Canyon's entrance/exit had been opened. If you look at this short document, you can see why www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=28136 On p. 2 it says "NEW – Devany Canyon Walk-bike access – No vehicle parking" He was found really close to this.

One thought that I think is possible that he did not want to return via the "Lying Stump Shortcut Trail" that is found on Strava as well as some biking websites because he could have thought it was a really horrific and steep trail and wanted another way out. I can't reference some of the web comments that begin on the one that starts with an r but some people who retraced the route said that portion was horrible and it took 2 1/2 hours to do that route particularly because the first 2 miles was awful.

Philip stayed on the main Fire Road called the North Ridge trail until it seemed to just end at the top of the hill at 11025 Dublin Canyon Rd, the address where EBRPD has a residence called the Poole house where an EBRPD maintenance supervisor lives. It could be that he knew about the house since it appears in the Land Use documents and on purpose headed in the direction of the house."

by Anonymousreply 129August 6, 2021 1:26 PM

And this post from CT does make an awful lot of sense.

"the watch will hopefully tell the final story but tbh mostly I think this forum simply doesn’t understand trail running, especially at his level, and especially with a tool like Strava for planning.

I want to get into Phil’s perspective here a bit, but I’ll start with correcting (again) the descriptions of how to reach the loop portion. This approach into the park is fairly simple, and compared to so many other ways up (courdet for instance), easier.

From moller ranch, you take either road or the parallel trail to the “lying stump trail”, which takes you to Tehan Canyon Fireroad. For the non-fire-road portion you are on officially maintained HOA trails that are a part of the preserve and open to the public: yes this even includes the connection onto the fireroad.

The directions are pretty simple, despite there being a number of early turn options, because more or less you just point yourself uphill. This is especially true once on the fireroad, point uphill and go.

the fireroad portion is entirely within the land bank, and it’s a well maintained and recently graded access.

no part of this is something Phil would have considered steep, except for maybe a 100’ stretch which would still have been less steep than his usual route up chaparral peak in Berkeley. The climb is 2 miles long and averages only 450’/mile. This is pedestrian for a fellow used to an 1800’ in 1.9 mile climb (his usual). I’m sure lots of folks that don’t typically choose to recreate by taking the steepest route up or down a peak do find this climb hard, and I’m not belittling anyone who finds this route steep, but for anyone with the appropriate training this route is well within what we call “runnable”, meaning at no time would we find ourselves needing to hike.

in my AMA (I think though it could have been elsewhere) I mentioned that we seemed to have a camera that ruled out his having taken the road vs the parallel trail for the first quarter mile stretch. The watch will tell the story, I’d still presume he took the trail option, but as we dug in more we found the homeowner that was so insistent they had continuous footage and no sighting of him had been overly-confident in their camera: it was motion activated not continuous and doesn’t activate for folks in the street like they thought it did. It’s still possible he took the road.

the biggest mistake people are making is around distances. It might help to stop thinking about distances and to start thinking about time, because that’s the real factor in play. To me for instance, 15-20 miles is a short run. This is because I know I can comfortably cover that many miles on tough terrain in roughly 2-3 hours depending on conditions. 15-20 miles sounds much longer than 2-3 hours. Same thing here with Phil: 6/7/8/9 miles sounds much longer than 45-60min.

this is most evident in “how far off course” he was. Had he not been overheating and slowed by that, he was probably less than 7min off course, the entirety of which except for the last 200’ was spent on a well maintained fireroad, the last 200’ of which was spent on a newly built community trail. The last few feet of which he left that to slide under a tree. With the heat he was feeling this likely took longer than 7min, I’d be unsurprised if that last half mile wasn’t 30-60m or more. But I’ll also be unsurprised if the watch says that from the car, around the loop, shortcutting at mariposa, missing his turn, taking the turn that seemed correct, and then staying straight before heading under the tree wasn’t a sum total of 60-75min. And that’s what’s so scary about what happened here. Heat kills."

by Anonymousreply 130August 6, 2021 2:24 PM

Midday, full sun during a heatwave - any rational person would be aware of how risky that was. No hydration or phone either - that’s just unnecessary bulk that impedes running gains, you see. There were no witnesses at the trail because everyone else was sane enough to stay away. He was too much of a fanatic to care about the dangers.

by Anonymousreply 131August 6, 2021 2:26 PM

In the texts in the AMA he HAD expressed concern @ heat.

I think when CT downplayed it, he shifted to that view as well.

Shame, his initial instinct and Jen's were spot on.

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun. The locals, more acclimated to but wary of extreme heat at PRP, farther inland matters a great deal, had recreated early for the most part.

We all make mistakes in life, sometimes the price is high. Humans do not always perceive risk accurately.

Not blaming CT but the run the night before, the beer, and the back and forth about heat left less gas in the tank and seemed to remove his initial caution. Be careful what you say to yourself and others about risk.

Even the package drop, he could have run early in Berkeley first, which was 30+ degrees cooler, but had shifted the PR risk to not that big after the text messaging. How we evaluate risk is an entire area of study.

by Anonymousreply 132August 6, 2021 2:44 PM

R125, I’m just curious about the car key. The car was unlocked by police. The man left everything behind but his watch. If he didn’t stash the key nearby, he’d tie it onto his shoe or tuck it in a small pocket in his shorts.

by Anonymousreply 133August 6, 2021 2:46 PM

That is what I used to do with a house key, R133, imagine he carried the fob in one of the ways you mention.

I don't think he did not care about risk or was so addicted to running that he was heedless of danger or did not care @ risking his life and leaving his family.

I think it was a mistake that ended tragically. If I were CT I would not have posted those texts, I think it was probably guilt. He HAD been cautious about the heat. Then got caught up in the multi-tasking (remember he admired Jen's ability to do so), well known BIG guy in EB running had downplayed the risks of the heat, so the plan to fit in sleeping in, package drop and run on the way was on.

That whole land bank, game trails poor signage, trails existing on online maps that do not yet exist sounds super confusing for the unaware, esp if suffering from heat illness. Maybe the local govt or the family can have signs installed.

Even a whistle can be life saving. He had done loads of adventuresome things and all was well. I am quite sure that he would not have gone had he had any idea it would mean leaving his family. He had wilderness training, he at least sought shade, which is more than I did when I had heat stroke. It can kill so quickly without ice, air con, cool water to quickly lower core temp. I hope he did not suffer and that his family can draw comfort from his memory.

by Anonymousreply 134August 6, 2021 2:53 PM

R131, and to add to that, he had this small window of time to cram in a run. Who knows when he’d have another chance to be free of “kid duty”? So the stakes were kinda higher.

by Anonymousreply 135August 6, 2021 2:56 PM

A local posted this

"trailangel4 · 8h The temperature was in flux, that day. You're correct, in that, the range on the ridge was estimated to be between 101 and 111. Later in the day, someone reported 115. Micro-climates are common in areas like that and you can have 88 on a trailhead...but, triple digits just a few hundred yards away. Inclines, in that heat and with no water, are quite punishing on the human body."

Unless from that area and aware (and a bit more acclimated) can see how easy and quickly one could get into trouble.

by Anonymousreply 136August 6, 2021 2:58 PM

Humans are not great at evaluating risks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 6, 2021 3:00 PM

We all do this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138August 6, 2021 3:03 PM

R130 - CT's comment actually makes a lot of sense. Phil's run lasted just about an hour. He was just minutes off his planned route. That's pretty shocking and makes the heat danger clear. Even with trees and shaded trails. I mean, these are people who run for hours on steep trails. I will say that compulsion overrides common sense, and many runners can't NOT run. Phil may have thought, I'm here, I'll check this place out, get a short run in, and be on my way.

by Anonymousreply 139August 6, 2021 3:06 PM

Hey Gerard, just for you I am going to make a donation to the GFM this weekend. His family seems lovely and his wife's words really touched me. Those very small kids will have to grow up without their dad. If a bit more financial ease or the knowledge that many strangers care and wish the family well can bring the smallest comfort, so be it.

It really was heartening that so many tried to help, esp with the very dangerous temps the day he went missing. Everyone really did give it their best, from LE to SAR to CT to his dad and other relatives there day after day as part of the search.

by Anonymousreply 140August 6, 2021 3:07 PM

What a disgusting bunch some of you are, like this Gerard ball of grease. No wonder people is starting to hate gays again.

by Anonymousreply 141August 6, 2021 3:14 PM

From the texts in the AMA he seemed to be expecting 80s, not 111, R140. Just misperceived risk and much more danger than he had understood there to be.

I am quite surprised he sought shade, many, myself included, kind of wander in the bright sun as the brain overheats. There is such a small window to cool the core before it is a medical emergency. I was so fortunate to have access to water from a hose to wet my head, hat and clothes and then aid to get to air con, ice and a cool bath pretty quickly and it was just over 102 with very high humidity where I was, not 111. Even with that help and with electrolytes and hydration I did not feel fully well for about 48 hours. It can happen so quickly. The body's mechanisms to cool off and the brain's ability to think are overcome at a certain point. If you stop sweating, become confused, if the hair on your limbs lifts slightly in a desperate attempt to cool the body it is an emergency but the brain is often a bit off line and can even feel euphoria if hypothermic or hyperthermic. If there is no one around it may not turn out well. If you have ever had heat stroke, be extra careful, the risk for future events is higher. I will be that much more careful now myself. And if hiking or even driving on super hot days I will ask those running or hiking if they are ok, esp if they seem really tired or a bit out of it. Just drinking water is not enough, it is cooling the core that matters. Twist cold packs for pulse points in a day pack can save a life.

I am glad they found him and his family can lay him to rest. Such a shame.

by Anonymousreply 142August 6, 2021 3:16 PM

[quote] No wonder people is starting to hate gays again.

R141 Yes, interest in the macabre is most definitely only a gay thing.

by Anonymousreply 143August 6, 2021 3:21 PM

I'm suspicious of these dozens of posts who are dead-certain he died of heat exhaustion. It's almost an agenda.

He's not 16. Surely he knew his own body, the signs of trouble and had run in heat before.

I've never thought he died from the heat. And his wife's vocal fry is not 'grief'. And they're going to cremate him as soon as possible.

by Anonymousreply 144August 6, 2021 3:33 PM

I think GC posts elsewhere too. Someone even now going on about how he did not die in the location he was found but was moved there.

But, GC, harassing friends and family @ the GFM is a new low.

At least CT did acknowledge that he may have influenced P to run in the heat. Hard to live with that but he did try hard to find him and committed to keep looking himself until he was found. We all do things that in hindsight were risky, say things that were ill considered with hindsight, etc. Had CT or P known that parts of that ridge would be 111-115 that day, of COURSE neither would have run there. But, you know what they say about hindsight.

I was not a huge fan of the anecdotes of him running down steep trails with a stroller either. Take a lot of risks and at some point it will not end well. At least the kids are both safe.

by Anonymousreply 145August 6, 2021 3:34 PM

R144, don't you have an Atlanta thread to be posting in?

by Anonymousreply 146August 6, 2021 3:37 PM

Shut up r144.

by Anonymousreply 147August 6, 2021 3:42 PM

GC is likely angry that Philip had so many friends, colleagues, classmates and even strangers who flew across the country to look for him and who contributed to a GFM to help support his young kids. Someone like GC probably could not muster even his own dog if he went missing. Disgrace to the gay community, miserable attention seeking twat.

CT may also be attention seeking but he was boots on the ground helping to look for a missing man. GC ONLY seeks attention and is even bullying the family in their grief. Is that you at R144, GC?

by Anonymousreply 148August 6, 2021 3:59 PM

r143 Questioning the sexuality of a dead man you've never met, with a grieving family just for fun is what conjures hate.

by Anonymousreply 149August 6, 2021 4:16 PM

Questioning the GFM started by friends and repeatedly trying to raise the specter of a killing and relocation of the body is just perverse trolling. Given the untimely and sad death, not something the gay community wants to be associated with. If GC was a rando nutter so be it but he trumpets his gay cred. Sick fucker. I hope he has been blocked on Twitter by many, and reported by more.

by Anonymousreply 150August 6, 2021 4:20 PM

Moving the goalposts, thought he was not in the park re: "sources?!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151August 6, 2021 4:27 PM

Indefensible?

Fuck off GC.

by Anonymousreply 152August 6, 2021 4:28 PM

He did not die of dehydration but of heat stroke. Drinking water at that point would not have cooled his core temp. Maybe the locality or family can post signs that the temps on the ridge can be up to 20+ degrees hotter than the lower elevation trailheads, help people understand the risks more before they get into danger/trouble.

by Anonymousreply 153August 6, 2021 4:32 PM

Sorry but who's GC and CT? I'm at loss with all these acronyms.

by Anonymousreply 154August 6, 2021 4:46 PM

Several of GC's tweets are posted here, verbatim.

His harassment of the family and of grieving friends continues. Many of the tweets are reportable.

Sick fucker deserves a stint in Twitter jail or to lose his account.

He continues to spout nefarious theories and attribute them to LE out of a twisted and sick need for attention despite the finding of the deceased.

by Anonymousreply 155August 6, 2021 4:47 PM

GC continues to harass the family and post conspiracy theories here and on Twitter, if you search under Kreycik, should come up as a "gay activist."

CT is his friend who was the lead searcher and who did the AMA on the Searching FB page.

Best not to use full names as 3 of the 5 or 6 threads have been deleted.

RIP Philip.

by Anonymousreply 156August 6, 2021 4:49 PM

I reported GC earlier, as well as a couple of days ago, but it doesn't seem like Twitter cares. Maybe I should go through the full reporting system on Twitter's contact page and see if that helps.

by Anonymousreply 157August 6, 2021 4:54 PM

The idea that someone harmed him and moved his body is kind of stupid. He was thin, but he wasn’t a small guy. Why would anyone drag a grown man’s dead body anywhere in 115-degree heat?

by Anonymousreply 158August 6, 2021 4:55 PM

Just sick people looking for attention by harassing the grieving family and friends.

I don't think I have ever given $ to a GFM but because of GC I will give to this one. May his memory be of comfort to those who loved him.

by Anonymousreply 159August 6, 2021 4:57 PM

Thanks, R157, I will try that too. He is now reporting grieving friends who object to his sick antics.

His posts on here are easy to spot, best to block him and starve him of attention.

Twisted mofo.

by Anonymousreply 160August 6, 2021 4:58 PM

Not sure when this will air, if anyone sees a link, pls post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161August 6, 2021 5:03 PM

Heat kills.

Have caution and common sense folks. Live to run or hike another day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 6, 2021 7:29 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163August 6, 2021 7:47 PM

R149 I thought you meant the people here on DL - my mistake. But yes, I agree - the sick freak on Twitter needs to have his account suspended at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 164August 6, 2021 7:48 PM

Until there's a cause of death why assume it was heat stroke? He may have injured a foot/ankle on the game trail which took him down. Then heat stroke. Many possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 165August 6, 2021 8:44 PM

A sprained ankle would not kill or render him unable to respond to searchers, R165. Heat stroke does both. It leads to brain damage and organ failure. It was said that temps up on the ridge that afternoon got as high as 111 - 115 in direct sun. He was very likely suffering from heat stroke and in bad shape when he sought shade and never got up again. He may have thought the game trail was a shortcut or he may have become disoriented from heat stroke and missed his turn or thought the game trail was the turn.

by Anonymousreply 166August 6, 2021 8:51 PM

Or maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 167August 6, 2021 8:56 PM

A sprained ankle is not a proximate cause of death.

by Anonymousreply 168August 6, 2021 8:58 PM

Maybe a rattlesnake bite on the game trail but would already have been suffering heat related illness by then. Where the shoe prints were found were full prints, so walking, not running. Not sure a rattlesnake bite could be detected at this point. Heat stroke can cause seizures, cardiac arrest, etc. Without immediate aid or medical treatment it can kill quickly and it has killed several this summer.

Check your medications and make sure they do not impact the body's ability to regulate heat. Not likely a factor for PK but may be for you - blood pressure meds, some allergy or psych meds, etc can impair the ability to sweat, putting you more at risk.

by Anonymousreply 169August 6, 2021 9:05 PM

[quote] I am quite sure that he would not have gone had he had any idea it would mean leaving his family.

Geez, ya think? If he had known he would die and leave his family, of course he wouldn’t have gone.

by Anonymousreply 170August 6, 2021 10:22 PM

You'd be surprised, R170, until the minute the body was found people were claiming he did exactly that. Others here said he was so addicted to running it was all that mattered. No, he misjudged the risks and the one time it mattered there was no one around to help. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 171August 6, 2021 10:46 PM

I’m confused, did they not announce what he died of and if it looked like foul play or not?

by Anonymousreply 172August 6, 2021 11:07 PM

Was the condition of his anus 'marital'?

by Anonymousreply 173August 6, 2021 11:11 PM

Preliminary autopsy just out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174August 6, 2021 11:14 PM

Process of elimination, no signs of head injury, broken bones, foul play, animal attack.

They believe he had a medical emergency, likely due to the heat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175August 6, 2021 11:16 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176August 6, 2021 11:19 PM

I think his wife called this event an "accident" in the recent press conference. I don't know why that word irked me. To me, an accident as being a snakebite or sprained ankle. Running as usual on a day with temps over a hundred without a shirt on, without carrying your phone, in an area you've never been before when you're pressed for time seems more like a sad mistake than an accident. ( I hope that doesn't sound petty or mean. There are consequences to risky actions as opposed to random occurrences.)

by Anonymousreply 177August 6, 2021 11:30 PM

I’m starting to believe he is more in line for a Darwin Award than for sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 178August 6, 2021 11:36 PM

I can't imagine what the family is going through and will not judge their language when they all seemed to be trying hard to be genuinely grateful for LE and volunteer efforts, R177.

This guy had a lifetime of doing quite adventurous things without harm. From the texts he appeared to think the temp would be in the high 80s, which it may have been at the trailhead. He was clearly mistaken about how hot it would be up on the ridge with reports it reached 111 - 115 in spots. CT will have to live with having downplayed the risk, which he acknowledged. Did he try his best to find him? So many did. And Philip and his family have paid a very high price.

We all take risks every day, even driving. Sometimes we are wrong or things go awry. Had he genuinely understood that it would be 20+ degrees hotter on the ridge he likely would not have gone, he stated upper 80s was his limit.

Accident: an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

Seems to fit.

Hopefully many will be better prepared to recreate outdoors based on his sad death. If not to help yourself, perhaps to render aid to someone you might come upon. Reschedule exercise for times that are not extreme heat or cold. Do not underestimate that weather can kill. For someone so dedicated to fighting climate change, it is sadly ironic. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 179August 6, 2021 11:45 PM

Family interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180August 7, 2021 2:02 AM

So he plied the guy with booze, lied to him about the weather the next day and steals spotlight the next day.

And he made 100k for the pleasure?

by Anonymousreply 181August 7, 2021 10:30 AM

The GFM money is going to the family. Phil's college friend Tom started the GFM, not CT.

1 beer is not exactly being "plied with booze" for an adult man.

Is that you, sicko Gerard Coucy? You are a disgrace to the gay community and human race tormenting the friends and loved ones of this dead man so you get more social media attention.

by Anonymousreply 182August 7, 2021 3:22 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183August 7, 2021 3:32 PM

I wonder if Philip felt that his run with CT was a waste of valuable time. The guy had a very limited window of time where he was free of wife and kids. Then he’s got this dingdong CT with the group (such as it was) socializing, slow leisurely run, a beer that he didn’t usually indulge in, all holding him back from what he wanted to do: RUN FREE.

Maybe I’m projecting, but I see irritation in the photo during the beer stop. I wonder if he’d had a genuine run the night before, if he’d been so hell-bent on taking that risky final run in his last moments of free time.

by Anonymousreply 184August 7, 2021 3:40 PM

View Edit History Jennifer Yao > ‎Find Philip Kreycik Hi Everyone,

We can't possibly ever express our gratitude and appreciation enough to truly acknowledge what you have done and are still doing for us.

I have a request. Years from now, our kids will want to know that we did everything humanly possible to find their dad. What I remember and what our families remember will be insufficient, because the effort of the last few weeks is the greatest demonstration of collaboration, selflessness, care, and kindness that humanity has to offer in the face of an unimaginably difficult situation, and that’s what I want them to know. I need your help in preserving this experience.

If you could take some time to write down, from your own perspective, what this experience is like for you, what you did, what you observed, what some of your thoughts were, etc., I’d be grateful. It can be as long or short as you like; it can be in any format (e.g., writing, pictures, voice recordings, etc.); it can be detailed or from a bird's eye view; really, it can be anything you’d like to contribute. And please, if you did anything, big or small, hiking, biking, repelling, operating a drone, reviewing images, distributing posters, or simply came to show your concern, I'd very much like to know, as long as you are willing to share.

For those of you who know Philip, if you could also write, anything you like, about him, a memory, an impression, or an interaction, and it can be funny, serious, or just plain weird!

I desperately want a way to remember all of this because I know that I will lose it. I want to bottle up his sense of wonder, his childlike glee, his gentleness, his boundless energy, and his exuberance for life and for all adventures. I wish there was a way to perfectly capture it, so the kids and I can revisit and drench ourselves in him and in those qualities of his. But we all know that as time passes and the days blur, the things that we think we will never forget will start to become fuzzy and fade. I and the kids need all of you to help us remember.

Please email me with anything you come up with at: jzyao722@gmail.com.

With the deepest gratitude and love, Jen

August 5 at 11:41 PM · Public group

by Anonymousreply 185August 7, 2021 3:41 PM

The "dingdong" did a lot to help find him.

Philip often ran with others. It is not Friday he would change, but Saturday.

He was not "hell bent" he made a mistake re: how high the temps on the ridge would be.

We all take risks in life and make errors in evaluating them. Driving is a huge risk, for example. Sometimes things turn out ok, and sadly, sometimes errors turn out tragically.

by Anonymousreply 186August 7, 2021 3:43 PM

Some of the posters on WS make CT sound like the voice of reason. When he comes on there to post at least he's got answers that shut folks down. Overall, he is complimentary about the SAR team but not about the Sheriff's dept saying they'd covered 100% of the park. As to why PK wasn't found, CT took some responsibility. Said there was a "gap" that didn't get searched, although all around this gap, did. PK was in the gap. As CT reminded the WS speculators, in the end, it was trying to find a needle in a haystack. Accidents happen in spite of the best planning and intention. I was impressed in how versed CT is in temp, wind, terrain, and organizing searches.

by Anonymousreply 187August 7, 2021 5:41 PM

And, P was lucky to have so many searching, so that he was eventually found.

Many victims do not have volunteers, never mind a dedicated CT to lead them and others to coordinate them. Even Lucas Horan, another valued member of the EB running community, had a relatively short and restricted search effort.

I suspect the watch will indicate he died the day he went missing, perhaps even before the 911 call. Passing out is common with heat stroke, I hope he did not suffer.

The posts above by CT and Jenn Yao are lovely. They and LE and SAR gave it a good shot, sadly, it just did not work out.

I do hope that CT or the family take up education re: hypo and hyperthermia.

Wishing Jenn, the kids and the Kreycik family all the best.

Hoping that Gerard C loses his account at least temporarily and that many block his threads here. Loathsome creature.

by Anonymousreply 188August 7, 2021 7:37 PM

Some do seek risk and novelty "new place to run" but evaluation of risk is complex. We may seek risk in one context and take safety precautions in another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189August 7, 2021 7:39 PM

A poster on WS keeps claiming one beer the night before is what killed P in the heat. Knowing that CT reads and posts there. True crime fans are some sick pups. No, Rose, it was the possible 115 degree heat that killed him. In the texts he expected high 80s, which he thought was his max.

CT is an odd duck but dude tried hard to find his running buddy. Few victims have that. Even fewer have people like Chris, Tom and others to recruit and coordinate volunteers. Some missing are not found for months or years or ever.

I only went to WS bc it was mentioned on an early thread here. What a sick thing to blame someone who is grieving, so directly, on such a flimsy pretext. Much like Gerard Courcy who has several threads going here, directly copied from his Twit, just seeking attention. Nasty, twisted people.

What CT and Jen and the family said or posted about Philip was lovely. Well lived life, many who cared about him, gone too soon.

by Anonymousreply 190August 8, 2021 12:19 PM

Beer is alcohol and alcohol dehydrates, but beer is probably the LEAST dehydrating alcohol because it's such a low alcohol content. One beer the day before didn't kill him. Whoever is saying that on WS is being a pest, possibly on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 191August 8, 2021 12:27 PM

Exactly, R191, KNOWING that his friend has been posting there.

by Anonymousreply 192August 8, 2021 1:02 PM

From WS. Friend and spokesperson CT answers queries about Phil's watch and shares a little of the story its GPS tells. Says not all can be revealed yet dues to LE and the family and may never be . ". . .the most expected things I can tell you are that it (1) clarified his route to the top was roughly what we assumed (and not what was drawn), (2) that his speed to the top was exactly what we presumed and he cooked himself in the process (~18min) (he owns a lot of crowns that will be hard to take on Strava were we to take that public) (3) that the footprints on Mariposa were his though his route to there was different than expected though in line with one of our theorized re-routes for the amount of time he’d estimated he’d be out there, and (4) that the first hint of trouble was only 25min in, the first compromised decision 31min in, the first highly irrational decision was roughly 38min in, and he was incapacitated by 48min.

Heat strikes quickly." He Also says cryptically, "The worst thing I can tell you is that it ends before the end."

by Anonymousreply 193August 11, 2021 5:03 PM

That know-it-all CT really takes the cake. If “his route to the top was roughly what we assumed”, why didn’t they find him sooner? That guy can never be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 194August 11, 2021 7:25 PM

So does this mean that Phil was probably dead 48 minutes into his run? Sorry, I do not understand what info the watch data gives other than the route taken. It reads that Phil was dead or dying within the hour of his start time. Did it track his route all the way to the location of his body? Sorry, I am not trying to be disrespectful, just want to understand what happened.

by Anonymousreply 195August 11, 2021 7:33 PM

Heat stroke can lead to a coronary event, and often to unconsciousness and/or seizures, all of which might be detected by the watch, but I am not sure what he means with his cryptic statements. I do think it is likely he was dead before the 911 call.

Extreme heat and cold are really dangerous, do not underestimate that nature can kill. Even where you can hear the freeway and BART.

Cooked is not the most sensitive choices of words.

by Anonymousreply 196August 11, 2021 7:39 PM

I think perhaps unconscious at 48 min and dead not that long thereafter?

by Anonymousreply 197August 11, 2021 7:41 PM

Dead shortly after the 911 call it would appear. Kind of wish the company had blocked the info.

"Looks like Suunto activity history is updated (presumed PPD has completed watch analysis). Based on Philip’s profile on the Suunto app last activity was 6 miles and 4h 31m duration."

If he started to run around 11 am, dead by 3:30, likely immobile and dying for much of that under the tree.

Do not run fast up steep trails in an extreme heat advisory. If you have a medical emergency, stay on the trail. He may have been found before his death in that case, brain damaged perhaps but still alive.

by Anonymousreply 198August 11, 2021 7:47 PM

CT is a strange guy.

by Anonymousreply 199August 11, 2021 7:47 PM

R196, and the guy talked about Phil being dragged and dismembered by wild animals, too.

I’ve read enough from this guy to have the opinion that he was envious of Phil and relished his demise. The statement about Phil “owning crowns” that no one would know about if “we were to take that public”. And who is “we”? It was Phil’s data, and now his wife’s. It’s her business if she wants to take his Strava data public. How is he “we”?

This guy ain’t right. (Not saying he had anything to do with Phil’s death, but he’s sure enjoying being the ringmaster.)

by Anonymousreply 200August 11, 2021 7:49 PM

[quote]You know the guy who found him took photos. Just a matter of time.

Still waiting on the Kobe Krash.

by Anonymousreply 201August 11, 2021 7:49 PM

Reading the following I think the watch stopped tracking before his death, maybe as he stopped moving. I am surprised it does not track HR, thought that was pretty standard. Unless he had stayed on the trail I believe he died before he could have been found, not all that long after the 911 call.

"the watch data does not have temperature or HR data. It has cadence and GPX track only, both of which tell a pretty compelling but unfortunately incomplete story.

the worst thing I can tell you is that it ends before the end."

Sometimes those suffering heat stroke kind of wander. Wonder if the watch stopped recording due to heat or battery or cessation of movement?

See your point, R200. "Cooked" not a great word choice nor the looking for small pieces, etc. But, dude kept looking, not all missing are lucky enough to have that kind of boots on the ground commitment.

by Anonymousreply 202August 11, 2021 7:54 PM

R195 I took it to mean that PK was dead (or "incapacitated") 48 min into his run. According to CT, the watch measures gait and distance. So I guess when he stopped running he was done for. But if the watch didn't have GPS, then how do they know PK's route? Sounds like there's lots of info not revealed. But if he ran for only 48 min, wasn't he in serious trouble if not dead way before the 911 call?

by Anonymousreply 203August 11, 2021 8:09 PM

Who called 911?

by Anonymousreply 204August 11, 2021 8:16 PM

R203- That is how it read to me. It counts cadence, steps per minute, but I do not understand how it tracks the route . If they can tell what route he took, it would mean they tracked him to the location he was found in, right? I had a heat stroke. Even after being packed with ice for the 15 or 20 minutes it took EMS to arrive, my temp was still 105. I do not think he lived longer than an hour with the way it read. I do not understand someone being cryptic about such information. It seems disrespectful to Phil. Jmo.

by Anonymousreply 205August 11, 2021 8:18 PM

R204- Phil's wife called when he did not arrive at the scheduled time. I think it was a family , her family, visit.

by Anonymousreply 206August 11, 2021 8:21 PM

R204, his wife called 911, I think it was around 1, could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 207August 11, 2021 8:24 PM

R205, glad you survived, I also got very lucky in getting aid and access to ice, air con and a cold bath pretty quickly.

I agree he did not live long.

In the texts it seems that he thought the temp would be high 80s and that was his limit. But, up on the ridge, some cited 111+ that day. I get that the trailhead at a lower elevation and with more shade that it may have been a lot cooler. But it sounds like he went all out on the run with no caution about overheating, despite having seemed to have some awareness in the Friday texts.

by Anonymousreply 208August 11, 2021 8:28 PM

I think the family or LE may make a statement about time of death so CT does not want to do so.

by Anonymousreply 209August 11, 2021 8:30 PM

Thank you, you too. Unless you experience it, most people have no idea how deadly heat is and it kills astonishingly fast. I read that he ran on a very steep incline, where as you said temps get as high as 115. He ran very fast as well. It is very sad but with global warming people who have never experienced these high temps and humidity have no idea the danger it puts you in.

by Anonymousreply 210August 11, 2021 8:36 PM

Agree, R210.

I was very surprised he was under a tree, I was kind of wandering in direct sun for a bit, then dumped water on myself but due to the very high humidity felt almost worse. A tree can't do what ice or a cold lake or stream can do. It is not about drinking water at that point, the methods the body has for cooling core temp are overwhelmed. If you stop sweating, or find body hair is lifting up as your body desperately tries to cool, you are in trouble. And it impacts cognition very fast and to a degree that still scares me. Having had heat stroke we are both more susceptible, is my understanding, so stay safe. Having lived in NE and on the East Coast he may have had more familiarity with hypothermia. Running in Berkeley, he was correct that upper 80s would be absolute limit of his heat tolerance. But when he got on the trail he ran as fast as ever and it was a mistake that cost him his life. Locals talk of micro climates in that park, there were extreme heat advisories, Jen was right to be very worried. How people calculate risk is quirky, he had concerns but once he decided to do it it is as though they did not factor in again. Even delaying his start to drop off a package, sleeping in rather than running early. We are not always great re: unfamiliar dangers. And since people in the area WERE and recreated EARLY there were fewer around to help than may have otherwise been the case. Very sad. Hope that others learn and lives are saved. Brain damage is pretty quick too, heat is really dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 211August 11, 2021 8:47 PM

^people in the area were familiar

Even if he had a phone with him and called 47 min in it may have been too late. It was the very fast run up the steep incline in triple digit temps that literally did him in.

If you hike, throw those lightweight twist ice packs in your daypack, if you run in the heat, pack some ice in a running vest. Placed on pulse points - neck, groin, armpits, back of knees - you may save a life. Also, will say it one more time, many common medications including blood pressure, allergy and anxiety meds interfere with the body's ability to regulate heat. Check any meds you may be on before recreating in extreme heat or cold. A mom hiking with her family died earlier this summer, think she was on an allergy med. The group tried to cool her but she was having convulsions before she was evacuated, think that was in CA too. Very sad. But, hopefully her untimely death, and Philip's can save another life.

Really glad Philip was found, and the family can put him to rest.

Some beacons do not need to be triggered, so if you fall, have a seizure, are unconscious, help is still summoned. If you hike or camp or trail ride or run, worth considering.

by Anonymousreply 212August 11, 2021 9:03 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213August 11, 2021 10:01 PM

He probably had to take a dump and wandered off the trail. Then a heart attack whilst shitting, it's a tale as old as time.

by Anonymousreply 214August 12, 2021 12:32 AM

Not being a runner, I don’t understand what seems like an obsessive need to run daily or almost daily. Your family’s waiting for you. Go pick them up, for pity’s sake: run later. It’s very sad and I’m very sorry for all involved.

by Anonymousreply 215August 12, 2021 1:07 AM

R212, he wouldn’t even carry a phone or water because it would slow him down. He wasn’t going to put some ice pack thing in a running vest.

by Anonymousreply 216August 12, 2021 2:23 AM

Bit late for him now, R216, but for trail runners, mtn bikers, hikers, campers on here, could be what is needed to save your life or that of someone you encounter on the trail. Same with a beacon in case there is not good cell service.

Once he ran up that steep baking trail I don't think even EMS could have saved him unless someone could have accessed ice from a nearby house. Wonder if he had seen the house on the land bank land and headed in that direction for help? Like that hiker in was it, AZ? I believe someone from EBPR does live there in what used to be the Poole family house. One LE guy also mentioned small red flags in the ground, wonder if that drew his attention in his compromised state? With the hills not sure he could see the house. CT will likely have more to say about that at some point.

Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 217August 12, 2021 2:33 AM

[quote] The statement about Phil “owning crowns” that no one would know about if “we were to take that public”.

Why would the public care about his dental work?

by Anonymousreply 218August 12, 2021 4:41 AM

R215 I was obsessing over the number of steps each day and I understand how he must have felt. As he was going to a family function, would be eating or spending time and he may have wanted to get his run done or burn calories. We are bombarded every day with so many health admonitions that some people are becoming obsessive. On the one hand, most jobs are sedentary, great availability of dense calorie foods, no walkable cities, and so many social engagements. I really feel sorry for his family. He really is an innocent man, and his so-called friend is a terrible person. We all know such people in our lives who push us to do things that we are unwilling to do in a malevolent way. I wish I can lend my remaining years to him as I am ready to mix back into the atmosphere any time.

by Anonymousreply 219August 12, 2021 4:59 AM

R219, I feel sorry for his family, too, especially the children.

I absolutely do understand his compulsion to fit that enjoyable thing in even if there’s barely enough time to enjoy it. It was just a tragic mistake.

by Anonymousreply 220August 12, 2021 8:52 AM

R107 "Sources say..." Used routinely on DL when someone's full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 221August 12, 2021 9:37 AM

Was he found in the nude?

by Anonymousreply 222August 12, 2021 10:52 AM

[quote]that his speed to the top was exactly what we presumed and he cooked himself in the process (~18min) (he owns a lot of crowns that will be hard to take on Strava were we to take that public)

Unless "cooked" is a common slang term used in the running community for "overheated" that is an incredibly poor choice of words. Noting that he "cooked himself" at the same time he gets kind of jealous about the crowns PK had collected on Strava is a terrible thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 223August 12, 2021 11:15 AM

Have they said whether he was fully-vaccinated?

by Anonymousreply 224August 12, 2021 11:34 AM

R223, kinda fits with the cavalier talk of him being eaten by animals or looking for small pieces. Dude, at best, has no filter.

He did help look but he will always have to live with downplaying his concerns about the heat in the texts and perhaps in person on Fri evening. But, ultimately, P is responsible for his mistakes and misjudgments. Kids are paying a very high price.

by Anonymousreply 225August 12, 2021 11:57 AM

R223, exactly. I keep saying it. CT was envious (collapsed lung slowed him down) and savoring the demise of a competitor. He subtly sabotaged Philip and displayed duper’s delight.

by Anonymousreply 226August 12, 2021 1:06 PM

Has this already been shared? Really sad, and as many expected: GPS data is revealing new details about ultrarunner Philip Kreycik's death

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 24, 2021 1:31 AM

Running that fast uphill with no water, in triple digit heat was a deadly mistake. Despite having expressed misgivings about heat in texts the day before, it did not even seem to factor in until it was at an emergency point. So many of these cases, they should study more about how people evaluate or discount heat risks when hiking and running outdoors in extreme temps.

Very sad, seemed like a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 228August 24, 2021 1:40 AM

Bump for original

by Anonymousreply 229August 28, 2021 6:16 PM

Today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230August 28, 2021 6:29 PM

[quote] Please add some of those twistable cold packs to your day pack if you hike or camp and add to your vest if you trail run.

Yeah right, I don’t think you need to worry too much about Dataloungers going out for a run unless it’s to 711 for more snacks,

by Anonymousreply 231August 28, 2021 10:58 PM

So this guy went running for 45 minutes, then jogging for an hour in 106 degree temps. Then slowed down to a walk. If he didn’t have a kid, he would’ve been a Darwin Award winner.

by Anonymousreply 232August 28, 2021 11:06 PM

6 minute miles, R232, uphill. But better to go out that way than running on steep downhills with poor footing and his toddler in a stroller as he did at other times.

The arrogance of these people when the science of heat stroke is so clear, the body literally melts down from the inside and at that point even being packed in ice and immediate medical attention may not save you. And you might have brain damage. Why not run on a treadmill, or, go play with your kids?

He had been around it, and the dead hiking parents had been on a Gobi tour and to Burning Man repeatedly. None of them were completely ignorant re: heat. But, they wanted to do what they wanted to do, when they wanted to do it. The endorphins or posting about it giving a dopamine rush or something was the focus, not basic fundamental safety. You go to a zoo on a hot day, the animals are inside or in shade, resting. Why are they so much smarter than someone who went to Harvard and MIT or a Google engineer?

by Anonymousreply 233August 29, 2021 12:48 AM

It = people having heat related emergencies

by Anonymousreply 234August 29, 2021 12:48 AM

Ok, mystery solved, death by septic assholery.

by Anonymousreply 235August 29, 2021 1:53 AM

[quote] What also complicates matters are California’s microclimates, Basu said. The thermometer jumped from a high of 64 degrees in Berkeley on July 10 up to 106 when Kreycik decided to go for a jog 30 miles away in Pleasanton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236August 29, 2021 5:04 AM

[quote] The thermometer hit 108 on Aug. 18 along the Golden Canyon Trail in Death Valley National Park when 60-year-old San Francisco resident Lawrence Stanback braved the heat for a hike to the Red Cathedral...Earlier this month, Stanback died a little more than a mile from the Death Valley National Park trailhead, which has a large warning sign saying, “Stop — Extreme Heat Danger — Walking after 10 a.m. not recommended.”

All these people suffer from "rules don't apply to me" even the rules at which humans begin to melt internally!

Stanback was 60! If you have NO common sense by that age...

All of these Bay Area people are so cavalier about heat. Bet the family had air con in Mariposa and was not heat adapted at all. Look at the problems athletes had in Japan at the Olympics due to heat. And they were YOUNG, Garresh was not young, nor was Stanback and Kreycik was almost 40.

by Anonymousreply 237August 29, 2021 5:11 AM

When you're exercising, it's sometimes like the boiled frog thing, where you start out feeling okay, and the heat isn't so bad, but you don't notice that things are as bad as they are. You're feeling great, you don't appreciate the negative effect it's having, and, because of its effects, you don't realize the danger of continuing.

Being sensible before you start will keep you out of this situation. But, when you are really committed to your exercise regimen, you triangulate, figure you're stronger than dirt and are not going to open yourself up to any real danger because, yup, you are strong--possibly invincible.

I've been through that. Once I became serious about running, I never tackled a run I wasn't confident I could complete without harm. Some days, it was so hot I eventually couldn't stand it, until, suddenly I could. I'd be out there in 90 degree heat not sweating, take a drink of water and break out in a perfuse sweat.

Like many runners, for me, I found it difficult to convince myself to get started, so warnings about the dangers and what to look out for were daunting and to be avoided.

Running is such and easy thing to do. Most people can do so the second they decide to do so. But people need to be more informed before they commit to a "running lifestyle."

by Anonymousreply 238August 30, 2021 3:28 AM

Same with hiking, R238, way too many dead hikers this summer. There needs to be a public education campaign about heat using terms like brain damage and burned paws re: pets.

by Anonymousreply 239August 30, 2021 4:15 AM

Like covid and the unvaccinated, I think I'm for letting the silly and arrogant die of heat stroke. But then I feel bad for the medical workers and Search and Rescue people. So I guess we should try and do more to warn of heat-related danger.

by Anonymousreply 240August 30, 2021 5:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!