Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, Come Back to the 5 and Dime

TBS is rebooting the satirical soap sitcom from Norman Lear, and the lead role is now being played by the glorious Emily Hampshire (formerly of Schitt's Creek).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2021 4:52 AM

Fuck the reboot, just watch the original.

by Anonymousreply 1August 1, 2021 4:03 PM

Can you? It's not streaming anywhere and I think the DVDs are out of print.

It's also an updated version which sounds interesting to me, and I love Hampshire's dry delivery. Good choice.

by Anonymousreply 2August 1, 2021 4:04 PM

Just die already, you greedy old buckbreaker.

by Anonymousreply 3August 1, 2021 4:07 PM

Will I be making a return as Dorelda Doremus?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 1, 2021 4:11 PM

I love Emily, but I just can't see her in the Mary Hartman role.

Mary Hartman came along at the right place and time, but I don't think it's a show that could work today.

by Anonymousreply 5August 1, 2021 4:14 PM

Why?

by Anonymousreply 6August 1, 2021 4:46 PM

Do people still have waxy yellow buildup?

by Anonymousreply 7August 1, 2021 4:47 PM

The 1970s had enough soap operas on the air in daytime to support two sitcom parodies of the genre.

Now there are four of them left, so it is like beating a dead horse at this point.

by Anonymousreply 8August 1, 2021 4:49 PM

Primetime and streaming is littered with soap operas and serials. Daytime is dead, but the format continues. This won't be a parody of 1960s-1970s soap operas either, it's a parody of social media obsessions and self-awareness. Just like the original MH2 wasn't so much about soaps (those were the punchlines) as it was about 1970s consumerism and excess.

BTW, there were three soap parodies on TV at that time if you count the short-lived but brilliant "All That Glitters" (way ahead of its time). Also I think "Number 96" showed up soon after although it appears to have been both a commercial and critical failure.

by Anonymousreply 9August 1, 2021 5:27 PM

[italic]All That Glitters[/italic] looked horrible. I’m glad it failed because then Linda Gray couldn’t have done [italic]Dallas[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 10August 1, 2021 5:29 PM

As a young gayling I loved All that Glitters. Yes, it would have meant someone else would play Sue Ellen -- she wasn't the show's lynchpin, it still would have been a success.

by Anonymousreply 11August 1, 2021 5:32 PM

That show looked like truly horrific TQ+ propaganda that really made me lose respect for Lear.

by Anonymousreply 12August 1, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote] As a young gayling I loved All that Glitters. Yes, it would have meant someone else would play Sue Ellen -- she wasn't the show's lynchpin, it still would have been a success.

Considering how it fell apart after she left after she had been on it for over a decade, I would not take my chances. Especially considering their luck with recasts.

by Anonymousreply 13August 1, 2021 5:39 PM

Sue Ellen was a goddess. Dallas wouldn't have been anything without Linda Gray.

by Anonymousreply 14August 1, 2021 7:07 PM

[quote] Primetime and streaming is littered with soap operas and serials. Daytime is dead, but the format continues. This won't be a parody of 1960s-1970s soap operas either, it's a parody of social media obsessions and self-awareness.

In other words, it's old media trying desperately to stay relevant in the face of a new media onslaught … by regurgitating something from an era that predates social media that few people who never knew life without it will be likely to remember.

Daytime soaps never should have tried to copy their primetime cousins. The budgets went up but the ratings went down. Once people had new choices, they chose them. Even my mom stopped watching soaps when they got so stupid even she would rather have watched reality TV.

by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2021 6:58 PM

Her eye makeup says "I think I'm hot shit."

by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2021 7:00 PM

WEHT Louise Lasser?

by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2021 7:01 PM

All the Original episodes are on DailyMotion.

by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote] Primetime and streaming is littered with soap operas and serials.

Soap operas = daytime unless you’re in the UK. There are no streaming or primetime soap operas. Those would be dramas.

by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2021 7:04 PM

[quote] Soap operas = daytime unless you’re in the UK. There are no streaming or primetime soap operas. Those would be dramas.

Or, a lipstick-laden pig. There's no way that Grey's Anatomy would be confused for a soap opera. It's drama!

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2021 11:04 PM

I thought Lear was rebooting all his shows with POC.

by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2021 11:33 PM

Norman Lear is ugly and no I’m not watching that shit

by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2021 11:38 PM

My dad loved the show when it originally aired & I caught some episodes on VHS in the ‘80s, it was pretty funny. I’ll probably watch this to see what the fuss is about.

by Anonymousreply 23August 2, 2021 11:50 PM

I want Mary Kay Place back as Loretta!

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2021 12:02 AM

All of the original episodes of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman are available to watch on Youtube. I did watch the first (maybe) 20 episodes and the humor definitely still holds up. I had forgotten how cute that Jewish cop was that she was fucking. It was one my all time favorite shows when it was on, but I am not sure I would want to see a re-make because the show was what it was because of Louise Lasser and I don't think anyone else could do as good a job that she did. She WAS Mary Hartman. Right down to the nervous breakdown in front of our very eyes.

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2021 12:18 AM

Bring back Mary Kay Place as Loretta Haggers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2021 1:18 AM

[quote]she wasn't the show's lynchpin

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2021 1:27 AM

The original aired 5 times a week; I wonder if the reboot will?

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2021 1:34 AM

I was thinking that too. I'm guessing weekly.

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2021 11:55 AM

[quote] Oh, dear.

Did you just soil your Depends diaper, R27?

by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2021 11:58 AM

[italicThe original aired 5 times a week; I wonder if the reboot will?[/italic]

MOTHERFUCKER! MOTHERFUCKER!

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2021 12:17 PM

Stevie was my favorite character on SC but I’m not sure if I will watch this because I was never interested in the original.

by Anonymousreply 32August 3, 2021 2:05 PM

Emily Hampshire had an amazing deadpan delivery as well as a subtly neurotic vibe. I think she's a good pick for Hartman. Certainly worth tuning in just to see how it is. This is the first Norman Lear reboot than even remotely appealed to me.

by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2021 4:42 AM

Never watched it, before my time, but wasn't this show very dry, subtle satire about consumerism? All things that would seem to make it a non-starter in 2021.

by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2021 4:50 AM

The reboot apparently is about the new consumerism: people and their data. It replaces floor wax with social media.

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2021 4:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!