Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"I Saw What You Did" - (1965)

... and I know who you are. A scary movie in which we are treated to a drunken Joan Crawford slurring" Get outta here!" to a terrified teenaged love rival while wearing one of her gigantic statement necklaces. William Castle pulled Joan out of Stoli Siberia for this one. The ending freaked me the fuck out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2022 1:49 AM

Lypsinka has made hay of/with this particular line.

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2021 11:42 PM

Is it streaming anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2021 11:44 PM

GET OUTTA HERE, R2!

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2021 11:48 PM

I love this movie and have seen it probably a dozen times. Joan at the height of her dipsomania, wearing a chandelier around her neck.

There was a 90s TV remake that was interesting but not half as good.

by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2021 11:53 PM

Joan’s hairdo was fabulous. A true hair hopper. Forgot about car registration strapped to the steering column.

by Anonymousreply 5July 30, 2021 12:00 AM

Joan's piteous "Look, honey!"

by Anonymousreply 6July 30, 2021 12:00 AM

What was that giant necklace about? Was it actually a style at some point? Or was it meant to camouflage her wrinkly neck and bosom? Bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 7July 30, 2021 12:06 AM

The devilish look on her boozed-up face when she sees the car registration card is my all time favorite JC movie moment!

by Anonymousreply 8July 30, 2021 12:12 AM

I’ve only seen this film in faded, scratchy prints. It looks amazing here.

John Ireland worked pretty steadily, so it’s surprising how he struggled financially. He’s an interesting presence, unusual features and a strange understated manner of acting. He performed in Queen Bee, too.

In this era of filmmaking, Joan is still a pleasure to watch. Those acting in scenes with her seem legitimately frightened. She’s such a strong presence it’s like watching a great big hungry cat. This scene in particular with her guttural “get outta here!”. I also liked her Grinch-like grin when she sees a chance to snatch the registration card form the car’s steering column.

by Anonymousreply 9July 30, 2021 1:28 AM

R7 Joan sometimes wore her own clothing in films of this era. In some of the Herman Cohen shockers like Trog, filmed on the cheap in the UK, Joan sometimes changed her outfits in a car.

In Berserk, you can see triangular shadows in the key lighting to hide her neck wrinkles. I think these “signature” chunky necklaces were partly camouflage. First Lady Barbara Bush wore them, too, much later.

by Anonymousreply 10July 30, 2021 1:33 AM

There's too much humor in it. Maybe because it dealt with teen girls before the slasher genre emerged.

Someone should re-edit and add more horror elements.

by Anonymousreply 11July 30, 2021 1:34 AM

The car registration attached to the steering wheel. Was that a thing? Never saw it before. Joan snatching it (and kissing it -- WTF?) at the end was a major plot point because this allowed John Ireland to find their house. I think this is one of the first movies where "The call is coming from inside the house!!" was used as in "Scream." The girl leaves her friend and runs for the car which of course won't start, and then the hands come over from the back seat. I had nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 12July 30, 2021 7:04 PM

This was just on Svengoolie a couple weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 13July 30, 2021 9:15 PM

Andi Garrett was no Diane Baker.

by Anonymousreply 14October 26, 2021 8:25 PM

This demands a remake starring Lizsha, "I Shaw What You Did".

by Anonymousreply 15October 26, 2021 8:30 PM

No R15. Retire your act.

by Anonymousreply 16October 26, 2021 8:37 PM

John Ireland had a third leg. I think his is the biggest VPL I've ever seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2021 8:40 PM

I enjoyed the 1988 remake. Robert Carradine was effectively creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 26, 2021 8:41 PM

Linky stinky R17

by Anonymousreply 19October 26, 2021 8:48 PM

Lotsa Ireland bulge here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 26, 2021 8:52 PM

Watch from the 1:20 mark until the end. Ireland had a python in his pants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2021 11:43 PM

The costume designer would've seen the bulge and made sure it didn't show during wardrobe tests or filming. Someone would've caught it.

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2021 11:50 PM

I saw this on TV when I was a kid, and it scared the hell out of me and my brother, since we liked to make prank phone calls. This scared us away from that...for a while.

by Anonymousreply 23October 27, 2021 12:00 AM

Joan looks much better in the film's publicity shot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 27, 2021 12:18 AM

[quote] The costume designer would've seen the bulge and made sure it didn't show during wardrobe tests or filming. Someone would've caught it.

Okay, so how did it make it to the final cut.

I recently saw that movie on Amazon (I’ll watch anything with Burt Lancaster in it) and I was stunned at John Ireland’s snake.

The thing about films from 60-90 years ago is that the men frequently had unbelievable VPL because, I guess, they tended to wear boxer shorts under loose-fitting, soft fabric pants. So anyone who has any discernible VPL was showing it off. Didn’t need to be a period piece like Gunfight above; it was just the style.

One of the reasons I love movies from the 30s through the early 60s (and sometimes the 70s… and even the 80s… I couldn’t believe all the extreme examples of VPL in episodes of Murder She Wrote!)

by Anonymousreply 25October 27, 2021 12:30 AM

[quote]Okay, so how did it make it to the final cut.

I honestly didn't see it upon repeated viewings.

by Anonymousreply 26October 27, 2021 12:53 AM

How could you not have? It's APPARENT.

by Anonymousreply 27October 27, 2021 5:24 AM

I really want to see this movie, I Saw What You Did, but I can’t find it for free online. Which is as it should be—I need to see it in proper HD, as released by Shout Factory.

If as good as Strait-Jacket or Homicidal, I’ll be a very happy horror hound indeed.

by Anonymousreply 28October 27, 2021 3:34 PM

I saw what you did and moved to another room.

by Anonymousreply 29October 27, 2021 4:20 PM

Here you go R28.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 28, 2021 6:49 PM

Is that safe link, R30?

by Anonymousreply 31October 28, 2021 7:06 PM

R31, I’ve not had problems with it. I have blockers and security installed though.

by Anonymousreply 32October 28, 2021 7:13 PM

Apropos of nothing, but expressions like “statement necklaces” make all the shit that comes with being gay so worth it.

by Anonymousreply 33October 28, 2021 7:18 PM

What happened to that necklace? Did Christina get it?

by Anonymousreply 34October 28, 2021 8:21 PM

Thank you R30

by Anonymousreply 35October 28, 2021 10:17 PM

[quote]The devilish look on her boozed-up face when she sees the car registration card is my all time favorite JC movie moment!

Baskets of Blessing on you, my darling!

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2021 8:13 AM

She is not slurring, that is how she sounded once she got the dentures.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2021 9:18 AM

They didn't yet have the courage to make a true teen horror movie, perhaps because the kids were so young and the times were still so innocent. But Joan is convincingly menacing.

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2021 9:19 AM

Joan’s big, high Dairy Whip hairdo in that first clip is pretty good-looking. She was still a very attractive lady in this timeframe. When she chases the young girl down the driveway, you get a pretty rare sense of how tiny she was in person. She was very small but so expressive on camera. I think Virginia Grey commented that Joan’s scenes with her on the film The Women were reshot by Joan’s preferred cinématographer, and that extra process meant three weeks of wages for those appearing with her.

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2021 11:58 AM

[quote]What happened to that necklace? Did Christina get it?

Christina got only one unmatched earring...

for reasons that are well known to her

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2021 12:50 PM

<- I want it back.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2021 5:19 PM

Hi fucker

by Anonymousreply 42November 17, 2021 11:45 PM

R40 “Whatever you do..don’t hawk it!”

by Anonymousreply 43April 20, 2022 1:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!