Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's Your Fave Grocery Frozen Pizza?

Inspired by another thread talking about delivery fees I came to realize lots of people only have chains like Pizza Hut/Domino's as delivery options, in this God blessed America no less!

I think some frozen grocery store pizzas are as good if not better than the chains for WAY less cost and they keep at the ready, frozen, for months (of not longer). And they're even good in a low-cost pinch, imo, even if you do have quality pizza delivery in your area.

What say you fellow DL'ers who swear the diet starts next week? Post words and maybe even pics on your favorite frozens if you got 'em. Here's a listicle review on a bunch available in the Cleveland area whet your whistle:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218September 13, 2021 5:52 AM

Red Baron Four Cheese Classic Crust

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2021 10:14 AM

That Cleveland story is paywalled OP. What were the top pizzas in their survey? We like the Whole Foods thin crust frozen pizzas.

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2021 10:15 AM

I quit buying frozen pizza because they all started tasting like shit to me and they are kind of expensive these days for how shitty they are. I’ve seen some frozen pizzas for $8 in the store! With a coupon you can go to any chain pizza place and get a real pizza for that price.

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2021 10:19 AM

Sorry, R2. I don't know why but it's not paywalled for me (and I'm not a subscriber). Try opening it in incognito mode, tho it works in normal browsing for me either way. Here're the top 2, both bought at Target for $8.99. This brand isn't in my area, maybe it's in yours.

- No.2: Outsiders Pizza Company, Three Cheese -- We say: While we had never heard of Outsiders Pizza Company before this journey, we are now big fans. You need to be hungry if you are going to indulge in this pizza. The crust is thick and filling, yet not so heavy you will be weighed down. The tangy sauce shines through despite the thick crust. Did we mention the cheese? There is lots of blended cheese and it overflowed the crust once it melted. This is a great “stay at home for pizza and a movie” night

- No.1: Outsiders Pizza Company, Bacon and Jalapeno, -- We say: This is damn good pizza. The unique pairing of toppings was so tasty we went back to the store for another pizza! One of us talked about this pizza so much, her husband wanted to try it so a third pie was purchased. The crust was just as thick as the Outsiders 3-cheese, but had a nuttier flavor. The BBQ sauce is smokey-sweet and there’s plenty of thick-cut, crispy bacon pieces and jalapeños, which deliver real heat. This pizza was, according to Davis, “a real flavor bomb.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2021 10:37 AM

[bold]If the OP review article is PAYWALLED for you --[/bold]

Try going to the article from this google results page I've linked. It's the top result, you'll need to click the top result. Sometimes paywalled publishers let a google result click-thru get the article - some corporate backscratching or something. Again, I have no prob getting the article for some reason but I do now see it's marked "subscriber exclusive." I should've noticed that before, sorry y'all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2021 10:48 AM

Red Baron French Bread Pizza

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2021 11:04 AM

Frozen pizza taste like flavorless cardboard to me I buy fresh pizza from a local pizzeria and wrap the slices in foil and place them in the fridge, I don't freeze them since it dehydrates them and consume them within the week.

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2021 11:11 AM

I always liked DiGiorno rising crust supreme frozen pizza. I have a very specific way I bake it that leaves it slightly undercooked so the crust is all very soft and kind of gooey in the center.

I have to watch it carefully or the crust quickly turns and totally dries out to crisp crumb bread, which I hate.

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2021 11:20 AM

I’ve started making my own pizzas and they actually aren’t that hard to make. I felt silly for not having started making my own pizzas years ago it’s so simple. Better than that frozen horseshit since I use fresh ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2021 11:57 AM

[quote]Red Baron French Bread Pizza

I always thought Red Baron was plain as hell.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2021 11:58 AM

Tombstone used to be good until they fucked with their crust a few years ago and made all of their crusts a “butter crust.”🤢 Who the fuck wants a pizza that tastes like butter?

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2021 11:59 AM

Couldn't agree more r9.

The link is to an incredibly easy and flavorful pizza crust.

Easy to make the dough, no kneading and I have found that a 48 hour rise makes an amazingly delicious crust.

I make it, divide the dough into 3, eat one and freeze the other two crusts (after baking them for 3 mins).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2021 12:03 PM

I used to buy the cheap generic Great Value brand pizzas from WalMart at the deli section. Next to the microwaveable burritos and pre-made salads. These pizzas were giant things that came in a box with a see-through window. They nearly didn’t fit in my oven. I would always get the “extra cheese” one.

I would also grab a small package of sliced pepperoni, always stocked nearby. I’d then place the pepperoni sliced all over the pizza and bake in my oven (I also like it slightly underdone) until the edges of the pepperoni slices were crispy on their edges.

Cheap tasting? Yep. But delicious. Huge, dripping with cheese and crispy pepperoni and a soft crust. It would take me days to finish it and the whole thing cost like $8.

Sadly, that was years ago. At some point my two WalMarts I go to stopped stocking this item. I think they realized they were giving too much away.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2021 12:08 PM

none, on the rare occasion I have it at home I make it fresh, otherwise, it is just TOO easy to order out

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2021 12:14 PM

I once had a Freschetta frozen pizza that was something like spinach, bacon, onion and a white cheese. I remember thinking it was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2021 12:15 PM

In the UK ALDI generally win these comparisons. The top rated one is 'Carlos Generously Topped Deep Pan Pepperoni 400g' and costs 79p ($1.10).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2021 12:40 PM

Paywalled! LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME

Ok you get points for trying to link go arounds. But you owe me a reach around for this aggravation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2021 12:47 PM

Somehow, this thread is less depressing than the “what is the gay A-list” one.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2021 12:51 PM

I buy the ones that are not frozen. There is one with a "stone baked" crust that is convincing. I buy the basic one and add what strikes me from my pantry - capers, olives, anchovies, maybe tuna, tapenade. Mashed anchovies or tuna packed in olive then tossed with breadcrumbs to soak up the oil and crumbled over the whole piece. Fresh finely chopped onion. Bits of ham. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2021 1:00 PM

Chicago Inn and Motor City Detroit

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2021 1:26 PM

Urban Farmer does a sweet potato crust that’s really good.

In fact, the whole line-up is good, they all can make a quick, easy and flavorful meal. 1/2 a pizza and a tossed salad, voila!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2021 1:48 PM

As a kid, we always had Tree Tavern brand (adding our own pepperoni).

by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2021 2:00 PM

Not frozen, but we get the Boboli thin (or similar), pizza sauce, mozzarella, fresh basil, canned pre-cut black olives and a pepper. It takes 5 minutes to prepare and like ten to bake. Delicious when paired with a simple salad and a decent bottle of red.

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2021 2:12 PM

Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic and Pesto Pizza with Deep Fried Crust

by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2021 2:16 PM

Red Baron individual cheese deep dish pizza.

And believe it or not, 7-11 cheese pizza (you can buy it unbaked).

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2021 2:21 PM

American Flatbread, the Revolution variety. Very good and I learned about it here on DL awhile ago. Needs to be defrosted for 15-30 minutes before baking but worth the extra time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2021 2:23 PM

In true DL fashion a bunch of posters can't stick to the topic.

No one cares that you turn your nose up at frozen pizza and either make your own or only eat pizza from your neighborhood joint. The OP is asking about FROZEN GROCERY STORE PIZZA, not any of those things. FFS.

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2021 2:25 PM

Very interesting article. I usually buy the Great Value and Digorno brands......but it's nice to read an honest opinion about something I usually have once a week......

by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2021 2:28 PM

Jack's frozen pizza isn't bad and it's usually cheap. The crust is thin and crispy.

by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2021 2:57 PM

Once in awhile I'll try a frozen pizza that has gotten a rave review in the virtual or real world. I have to say they all disappoint--the crust is always flavorless and a bit cardboard-y. The toppings are sometimes good. The sauce is usually too bland and the cheese usually suffers from too many preservatives and not enough taste.

Delivery often means cold pizza and the sleeves often make the crust too soft. Pick-up is usually the best alternative and most places of any size have some alternative to Pizza Hut or Domino's.

by Anonymousreply 30July 29, 2021 3:05 PM

R25 Yes, I’ve heard several people extol the virtues of 7-11 pizza. I’m skeptical, but will try it one day when I’m feeling cheap and adventurous!

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2021 3:05 PM

I like the Whole Foods brand thin crust pizzas.

by Anonymousreply 32July 29, 2021 3:13 PM

Stouffer's French bread pizzas. But for the price, Red Baron is surprisingly solid.

I'm not a big fan of "self rising" frozen pizzas since they rely on baking powder in lieu of yeast, and it's definitely noticeable. They taste too dough-y, dense and flavorless imo.

Honestly though, now that Domino's is offering $7.99 3 topping 14" pizzas (pickup only), you can't beat that.

by Anonymousreply 33July 29, 2021 3:40 PM

I wish I liked Stouffer's French Bread Pizzas because everyone raves over them, but I just cannot stand those things.

Really love Newman's Own 4-cheese pizza. It's the best I've ever had by far.

by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2021 3:42 PM

Red Baron has a great thin crust Mexican pizza. The Lotsa Mozza meatlover pizza is also very good but I think that might be local.

by Anonymousreply 35July 29, 2021 4:20 PM

[Quote]Chicago Inn

Do you mean Home Run Inn? I've only been to a restaurant of theirs once but used to get the frozen pizza often. I love the unique crust, the sauce not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2021 10:27 PM

I almost never get delivery or frozen pizza. Occasionally I'll buy a fresh one (bake at home), but lately I've been trying to make my own using those packaged thin crusts (not Boboli.) But they never seem to get crisp enough for me, even if I bake them for twice as long as the directions (and I do use a preheated pizza stone.)

by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2021 10:31 PM

A very dear friend of mine used to turn her nose up at frozen pizza crust, R27. She would laugh at frozen crusts - and at pre-made pie crusts sold in a foil container as well - and accuse the consumers of these things of being less than human.

I tried her pizza crust one day. It was ok. Nothing to text home about. Of course, I complimented her on her crust. I told her it was far superior to store bought crust. She preened and gloated in my praise.

And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2021 10:44 PM

Home Run Inn frozen pizzas are indeed excellent.

by Anonymousreply 39July 29, 2021 10:49 PM

I live next door to a local pizzeria so I don't buy frozen pizzas often. If I do decide to pick one up, it's usually a Private Selection mozzarella & arugula this crust from Kroger. I'd take those over the lower-end chains like Little Caesar's and Pizza Hut, though they can't compare to even the better quality chain places like Uncle Maddio's or Marco's.

by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2021 10:50 PM

I’m pretty inpatient and of course a fat whore, so I typically don’t buy things that cannot be cooked in my microwave. If I need a pizza, I’d rather press a few buttons and wait 30 mins for a delivery.

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2021 10:53 PM

*Impatient

But lol what a typo

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2021 10:54 PM

Red Baron individual deep-dish pepperoni pizzas. Little bit salty. If you liked the circa 1990s Pizza Hut personal pan pizzas, you will like this. Crust is good.

Newman's Own spinach & cheese pizza. Red Baron crust is better than this one, though.

by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2021 11:06 PM

Vicolo makes excellent frozen pizzas! They are based out of San Francisco so I think they’re only a West Coast thing. I love them!

by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2021 11:12 PM

Newmans Own Four Cheese. Gotta be the four cheese. For some reason, their pepperoni has about 1/3 the amount of cheese as the four cheese pizza.

by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2021 11:24 PM

[quote]I almost never get delivery or frozen pizza.

Then why are you posting on a thread asking the question What's Your Fave Frozen Grocery Pizza?

by Anonymousreply 46July 30, 2021 5:49 AM

I tried a Private Selection pizza a few months ago and it was greasy, r40. Now I'm really wary of them.

Previously they'd had a mushroom and sausage Private Selection flatbread pizza that I loved but they discontinued it, so I tried another one that looked similar, and it was about 50% grease.

by Anonymousreply 47July 30, 2021 9:32 AM

I also love the Newman's Own 4-cheese but now I'm gonna try the spinach and cheese because of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 48July 30, 2021 9:33 AM

Amy's frozen pizza's aren't bad. They made a bbq tofu chicken, but i haven't seen it in a long time. Same with the Red Baron taco pizza, haven't seen it in years.

American Flatbread is very good, but its expensive. Home Run Inn and Newman's Own are good too.

Has anyone tried the Screamin Sicilian Pizzas? I'm kind of weary.

by Anonymousreply 49July 30, 2021 10:01 AM

#1 DiGiorno self rising supreme

#2 Freschetta naturally rising crust supreme

by Anonymousreply 50July 30, 2021 10:08 AM

r5 tried to open it in an incognito window but it's suscribers only. BOO I want to see the ranking

by Anonymousreply 51July 30, 2021 10:13 AM

I loathe frozen pizzas, except for Home Run Inn (the plum tomato variety). They really made me a believer that it’s possible for a frozen pizza to not taste like shit.

They’re pretty hard to find here in NYC, though.

(I feel like some Trader Joe’s pizzas have fine tasting sauces/toppings, but I have trouble baking them. They seem to come out burnt on the outside and mushy in the middle.)

by Anonymousreply 52July 30, 2021 10:29 AM

Screaming' Sicilian are a good example of premium frozen pizza that isn't much better than cheapies. The ingredients may be a bit better but the crust has no taste and the sauce is bland.

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2021 12:08 PM

I didn't care for Screamin Sicilian at all. We got the supreme "Mondo Italiano" version a couple of times and the crust wasn't very good, it had more of a cardboard taste than any other frozen crust I've ever had. The sausage was also kind of spongy in a way I didn't care for.

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2021 12:09 PM

Tony's. Cheap. Not all that bread like the others and slightly spicy sauce. Also easy to add things to.

by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2021 12:21 PM

As a gayling in the 1970's my FAVORITE frozen pizza was ELLIOS. It's still in business although they don't sell the big round frozen pizza anymore which was my favorite as a kid and the company was sold to McCain Foods ( Canadian company) in 1988. After that their pizza was average. It was sold in 2014 to a German company (Oetker). I've tried Oekter pizza once- AVERAGE.

by Anonymousreply 56July 30, 2021 1:21 PM

People who eat frozen pizza have baby tastes.

by Anonymousreply 57July 30, 2021 2:46 PM

[quote] I also love the Newman's Own 4-cheese but now I'm gonna try the spinach and cheese because of this thread.

I'm the one who said I liked Newman's Own spinach & cheese pizza. B/c of this thread, I'm going to try the 4-cheese.

by Anonymousreply 58July 30, 2021 5:06 PM

As cheap-ass frozen pizzas go, I love Totino's because of the crust.

by Anonymousreply 59July 30, 2021 5:22 PM

Yea, if you are spending 8 to 10 bucks on one, go get a real one from the pizza parlor

by Anonymousreply 60July 30, 2021 5:24 PM

R13, those pizzas are still sold by Walmart. Just recently bought one. They are in the deli at front of store.

by Anonymousreply 61July 30, 2021 5:34 PM

Thanks r56, couldn't think of the name, Ellio's. Had it last week and it has to be the absolute worst frozen pizza ever! Used to be okay, but now? Avoid at all costs.

by Anonymousreply 62July 30, 2021 6:36 PM

DL's favorite store has LOTS of options.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 30, 2021 6:55 PM

Kirkland Pizza at Costco, excellent.

by Anonymousreply 64July 30, 2021 8:02 PM

I meant to say, Kirkland Pizza in the deli-case at Costco.

by Anonymousreply 65July 30, 2021 8:04 PM

I like Goop's Kundalini, Mussels and Clams pizza.

by Anonymousreply 66July 30, 2021 8:08 PM

Walgreens brand is surprisingly decent

by Anonymousreply 67July 30, 2021 9:08 PM

I've been eating Tree Tavern all my life--we used to have it when I was a kid.

Lately I like Stouffer's French bread pizza, because at least the crusty bread is fun. There isn't much tomato or cheese, but I find it helps to chop a few cherry tomatoes and add those to the (defrosted) pizza, along with spoonfuls of olive oil, because otherwise the things come out very dry.

They're not great pizza, but they're fun.

by Anonymousreply 68July 30, 2021 9:25 PM

I like Tombstone pepperoni but haven't had it for a long, long time. Crust is not good, but I like the tomato sauce (not sweet, very tomato-ey). Pizzas, a lot of times, don't have enough tomato sauce.

by Anonymousreply 69July 31, 2021 1:14 AM

Baking your own pizza “with fresh ingredients” is the new pasta rinse.

by Anonymousreply 70July 31, 2021 1:25 AM

[quote]As cheap-ass frozen pizzas go, I love Totino's because of the crust.

I like Totino’s but the pizzas are so small now they’re like a snack rather than a meal. Also, they give me the shits.

by Anonymousreply 71July 31, 2021 1:45 AM

Why I couldn't possibly eat pizza- do I look Eye-talian?

by Anonymousreply 72July 31, 2021 2:13 AM

The one thing I liked about Elio’s frozen pizza was the shape and the fact that the pieces were already scored. Other than that, it was was not good. Limp and tasteless. It didn’t even have that weird fake spice taste so many frozen pizzas (or any other frozen Italian dish) have.

Oh, I like Celeste frozen pizzas for one. They don’t have that weird taste either.

by Anonymousreply 73July 31, 2021 7:42 AM

Their number one has cheddar cheese. They fucking have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 74July 31, 2021 8:04 AM

I love the thin cracker crust of Tostino's but I don't even want to know what the actual ingredients are for them to sell them so cheap

by Anonymousreply 75August 1, 2021 12:58 AM

Oh my god. What am I missing with Home Cunt (Run) Pizza??

I expected so much more after the typically rave reviews (like here up above)

The crust is odd- almost croissant like (and I was a massive fan as a kid in the 90's of those Pepperidge Farm Croissant Pizzas)

Bland and flavorless.

I was psyched when I realized a few years ago that my Fresh Market carried them- I was floored at how bland it was.

by Anonymousreply 76August 1, 2021 1:09 AM

Our Walgreens carries Home Run Inn pizza and I may try one even after r76's post.

by Anonymousreply 77August 1, 2021 10:39 AM

R77- Consumer Reports once gave it a VERY good review. I bought it and tried it. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 78August 1, 2021 1:02 PM

Whole Foods Hummus Pizza

by Anonymousreply 79August 1, 2021 1:13 PM

Holy shit, R19 - can I come over for wine, weed and pizza please?? Your system for churching up pizza sounds amazing

by Anonymousreply 80August 1, 2021 8:28 PM

Jacks can be found at Walmart and for a great price. Jack's is a spin-off pizza company that was formerly owned by and made pizza for Schwann's. What makes Jack's good is its cracker-like crust and tasteful sauce. I don't feel bloated by heavy dough, unlike many of the others mentioned above. '

by Anonymousreply 81August 1, 2021 8:45 PM

I've not run into that problem R47, but maybe it's because I never buy frozen pizzas with meat as an ingredient? Veggie pizzas (and pastas) seem to weather the freezing process better.

by Anonymousreply 82August 2, 2021 4:36 AM

Jack's cheese pizza and their hamburger pizza are both great, I didn't know they were formerly Schwann's, that explains why they're so good for being one of the most inexpensive pizzas in the freezer aisle.

by Anonymousreply 83August 2, 2021 7:26 AM

Like many people, pizza is my favorite food.

I hardly ever do frozen...but when I do? I want a throw back to my halcyon days of childhood: I get Mama fucking Celeste.

It's disgusting, but I just love it.

I do this maybe twice a year.

by Anonymousreply 84August 2, 2021 8:52 AM

"You're all awful. Every fucking one of you. And there will be no prizes."

by Anonymousreply 85August 2, 2021 9:53 AM

Their top two ranked pizzas are both Detroit style pizzas? That’s some BS bias there.

by Anonymousreply 86August 2, 2021 9:57 AM

I can read the OP's article. No paywall, and I use a VPN.

by Anonymousreply 87August 2, 2021 12:36 PM

[quote]What makes Jack's good is its cracker-like crust and tasteful sauce.

"Tasteful" sauce?

by Anonymousreply 88August 2, 2021 4:50 PM

I especially like California Pizza Kitchen's Thai Chicken pizza and BBQ Chicken pizza.

All the Newman's brand pizzas I've tried are good - in fact, all the Newman's brand products I've used have been good.

by Anonymousreply 89August 2, 2021 5:31 PM

Full of taste. Retardo Montalban?

by Anonymousreply 90August 2, 2021 5:35 PM

Roma used to be my jam in high school. Then they came out with a rising crust option and I was obsessed. I tried the regular recently and it wasn't as good as I remembered but not bad. The thing with frozen pizza is the cheese gets weird in the oven. Like there's plastic in it or something. The last tasty one I found was Bellatoria's Ultimate 5 Cheese.

Back when Archer Farms was a thing at Target, they used to have a Mushroom and Truffle Oil frozen pizza, which also had caramelized onions as well. It was absolutely the best frozen pizza out there. Now Archer Farms is defunct, and Good & Gather is the official Target brand. They do a copycat version of this pizza that is absolutely flavorless. Such a shame.

by Anonymousreply 91August 2, 2021 5:59 PM

[bold]Here's No's 4 and 3 for all you bumping up against the paywall.[/bold] I'll maybe post more but I ain't doing all 130 that's for sure.

No. 4 - Great Value, Beer Cheese Sauce & Sausage, Where we bought it: Walmart, $5.98

Box says: “Beer cheese flavored sauce, sausage, mozzarella and cheddar cheese on a pretzel crust”

We say: The biggest disappointment with this pie is that it did not offer up an overwhelming pretzel flavor, which we were really looking forward to.

There was plenty to savor. The crust crisps nicely and was tasty, and the mild and creamy beer cheese sauce was a delicious change of pace. Best of all was the two kinds of sausage, one mild and one with a decided kick. But we were disappointed this pie did not deliver an overwhelming pretzel flavor, which we were really looking forward to.

No. 3 - Mandia, Garlic and Cheeses Where we bought it: Nature’s Oasis (Shaker Heights location), $7.99

Box says: “Handmade pizza Napoletana. Product of Italy. Imported stone-baked Italian pizza. No preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.”

We say: We feel fortunate we stumbled on this pizza because Mandia has found the formula for the perfect cheese pizza. The crisp crust was filled with air pockets and tasted like it just came out of a stone pizza oven. There is no sauce, just a light coating of olive oil and mounds and mounds of cheese, which caramelizes as it cooks to give a nutty flavor.

by Anonymousreply 92August 3, 2021 2:20 AM

And here's the two bottom of the rung ones, no's 129 and 130.

No. 130 - Daiya Meatless Meat Lovers Where we bought it: Fresh Thyme, $8.99

Box says: “Deliciously dairy-free; soy-free; gluten-free pizza."

We say: The entire team thought this pizza was completely devoid of flavor. “This looks like the painted wooden toy foods kids play with - and tastes like it too!” - Brenda Cain

Buy it on Instacart

No. 129 - FSI, Pepperoni Where we bought it: Walmart, $1

Box says: No description

We say: “From the moment this pizza was unwrapped, I knew I would be disappointed, and I wasn’t wrong. Save your dollar.” – Yadi Rodriguez

by Anonymousreply 93August 3, 2021 2:25 AM

Amy’s used to have a three cheese with cornmeal crust you could get at Whole Foods that was absolutely delicious. Sadly they’ve discontinued their cornmeal crust line.

The Kroger Private Selects pizza are pretty decent. The grilled veggie and goat cheese is good as is the cheese and marmalade (no joke).

by Anonymousreply 94August 3, 2021 2:34 AM

R94- Health food or as they are now called- Natural Food stores should still carry Amy's cornmeal crust pizza which Consumer Reports liked. I bought it and tried it and thought it was MEH.

by Anonymousreply 95August 3, 2021 11:53 AM

I prefer the Red Baron french bread pizzas to the Stouffers, I add some extra cheese to them

by Anonymousreply 96August 4, 2021 1:21 AM

I tried the Newman's Own spinach and cheese pizza and it was good. The sauce is a cream cheese sauce so it was too rich for me personally, but my partner also liked it and he's never liked any white pizza before. I do think the 4-cheese is superior.

by Anonymousreply 97August 6, 2021 9:05 AM

Those small Sabatasso individual pizzas are very good, Costco carries them.

For some reason, Costco no longer carries DiGiorno, they were quite good. The Costco Kirkland pizza tastes like cardboard with sauce, ugh

by Anonymousreply 98August 6, 2021 9:37 AM

I find Doreen's Gourmet PIzza is the best available in Chicagoland. I don't believe it's available anywhere else. The Cheese is my favourite, and "her" Pepperoni is my second choice. Sadly the sausage isn't the best, IMHO.

I rarely order them when I'm out for pizza, but also like the frozen Gino's East Deep Dish Sausage personal pizzas. They may only be available locally as well.

The Home Run Inn began here in Chicago, and it's good as long as you select the thin- Crust variety, as the thick one is a bit unusually flavoured for pizza crust. The poster upthread who likened it to croissants is not far off IMHO... it tastes like pastry, similar to the kind my mum makes for Scotch Pies.

by Anonymousreply 99August 6, 2021 10:30 AM

I tried Outsiders frozen pizza, while it was slightly better than other frozen pizzas I'm going to stick with freshly made pizza from my local pizzeria. The crust still tasted like cardboard, the tomato sauce was slightly better, there was so much of it you could barely taste the cheese.

by Anonymousreply 100August 6, 2021 11:23 AM

Believe it or not, Stouffer's actually made a Lean Cuisine 14" pizza. I never tried it, and never saw it in any grocery store, but I happened to live right by their factory and they had a small outlet shop which is where I spotted it.

by Anonymousreply 101August 6, 2021 11:34 AM

DiGiorno's Pizzeria! 4 Cheese was good but they discontinued it. They now have one labeled Hand Tossed but the sauce and spices are inferior to the Pizzeria!

by Anonymousreply 102August 6, 2021 11:45 AM

Does anyone remember Mama Rosa? The pizza's were usually in the deli or meat section of the grocery store. Sometimes they came two in a pack. They were pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 103August 6, 2021 12:04 PM

Screamin' Sicilian Supreme to which I add even MOAR toppings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 6, 2021 12:09 PM

Anyone had a cauliflower crust. All the brands seem to have them now.

by Anonymousreply 105August 6, 2021 4:01 PM

R94

[quote]The grilled veggie and goat cheese is good as is the cheese and marmalade.

"veggie"? Really?

by Anonymousreply 106August 6, 2021 4:04 PM

Totino Supreme is good, spicy sauce and lots of diced pepperoni. They're small so they can be a snack, or a meal with a salad.

by Anonymousreply 107August 6, 2021 4:07 PM

If you can find it..Home Run Inn Pizza is the best. It's a Chicago based restaurant but I can find their frozen pizzas here in Iowa. They have the best crust and doesn't taste frozen like most

by Anonymousreply 108August 6, 2021 4:08 PM

Grandiosa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 6, 2021 5:30 PM

Many of the better quality frozen pizzas are in the $9-$12 where I live, at that price I can just get a fresh one instead.

For the price, Red Baron is solid. Really flavorful, spicy sauce and a great thin crust. They sell for about $3.50 for a 14", but sometimes I've seen them on sale for $2.98.

by Anonymousreply 110August 7, 2021 6:33 PM

[quote] For some reason, Costco no longer carries DiGiorno, they were quite good. The Costco Kirkland pizza tastes like cardboard with sauce, ugh

Typical Costco. Get rid of something good and replace it with Kirkland (Costco store brand) _____.

by Anonymousreply 111August 7, 2021 9:49 PM

Tried the Newman's Own 4 cheese pizza. Lots of cheese, yes, but I don't think I'd buy it again. Crust was not great. Cheese was not tangy / salty (no hints of Parmesan or something salty like that, which should be included in a 4-cheese pizza).

Upthread, I said I liked Newman's Own spinach and cheese pizza. I really meant *Amy's* spinach and cheese pizza.

Anyway, we all have different tastes and I had been wanting to try Newman's Own.

by Anonymousreply 112August 17, 2021 3:47 AM

Red Baron and Tombstone are surprisingly good. I mean, good being relative to what frozen pizza is. D'Giorno is overrated.

by Anonymousreply 113August 17, 2021 3:52 AM

Yeah, I like Red Baron, too. Pepperoni, the single serve ones.

I like the tomato sauce on Tombstone.

Never tried D'Giorno.

by Anonymousreply 114August 17, 2021 3:54 AM

The Caulipower frozen pizzas are actually really good, not as cardboard-y as the other brands. Gluten free too. They are pricy, I stock up on them when on sale.

by Anonymousreply 115August 17, 2021 4:03 AM

Krogers/Ralphs Private Selection has some great veggie and interesting pizza choices for $5.

But we add some toppings and of course use a pizza stone to get the best crust.

by Anonymousreply 116August 17, 2021 4:34 AM

I like Freschetta rising crust supreme the best and stock up when it's on sale. I won't buy DiGiorno because it's owned by Nestle.

Hannaford's is as good as Freschetta. Aldi's is adequate but the sauce is bland.

You really can't get a decent pie for less than $12 with comparable toppings to the supreme.

by Anonymousreply 117August 17, 2021 6:13 AM

Totinos when I was poor years ago, now Giorno is okay (I add fresh tomatoes on it and/or garlic for a kick).

Actually, Nob Hill has a delicious spinach and goat cheese woodfired frozen pizza for like $5 that is hands down the best frozen pizza I’ve ever eaten. But only available in my area where Nob Hill products are sold.

by Anonymousreply 118August 18, 2021 4:20 AM

*Digiorno, I meant.

by Anonymousreply 119August 18, 2021 4:20 AM

I know there are lots of posters raving about DiGiorno, but a warning to those who wish to try them: take a hard pass if you're allergic or sensitive to soy. I've had the Pepperoni, as well as the sausage and both times ended up shitzy and plagued by severe intestinal cramps. The meats are fake with lots of soy products: Soy Protein Isolate, Hydrolysed Soy Protein, and Soy Flour for the sausage. Not fun.

by Anonymousreply 120August 20, 2021 2:38 AM

You didn’t get gyno, did you, R120?

by Anonymousreply 121August 20, 2021 2:41 AM

Digiorno pizza is gross to me R120, the meat tastes very weird

by Anonymousreply 122August 20, 2021 2:49 AM

R122 That it does... I didn't want to crap on others' yum here, as the thread's bout favourites, but I agree. I think the cheese and veg varieties are the way to go with this brand. Perhaps add your own Pepperoni or Sausage if you're a meat lover.

by Anonymousreply 123August 20, 2021 2:54 AM

Home Run Inn! The crust is so buttery and the cheese is good. Terrible for you though, and no frozen pizza is better than fresh.

by Anonymousreply 124August 20, 2021 3:07 AM

“ Costco Kirkland pizza tastes like cardboard with sauce, ugh”

Sad. We just bought a 4 pack.

by Anonymousreply 125August 20, 2021 3:10 AM

I was expecting more from Screamin' Sicilian and Home Run Inn, I didn't care for them. I will stick with DiGiorno or Freschetta self rising Supreme for higher quality frozen. When I want a small portion the Red Baron french bread pizza. And once in awhile just for that crunchy crust a Totino's.

by Anonymousreply 126August 20, 2021 3:11 AM

I don't like Costco pizza very much. I don't care how cheap it is.

by Anonymousreply 127August 20, 2021 4:24 AM

Stopped buying frozen pizza because this is SO easy, cheaper, and is made with real ingredients. I use olives and/or sandwich ham when I don't have pepperoni or the other items on hand. Yum! Going to make the dough right now. Takes five minutes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128August 20, 2021 4:43 AM

We always have a can of Pillsbury crescent rolls in the refrigerator so I sometimes use them as a pizza crust. Also use them with those little cocktail weiners and make pigs in the blanket. Also just like them as a roll with dinner.

My mom was the type who made food from scratch but once in awhile she would make a quick hamburger helper type meal and would serve the crescent rolls with them and I always loved them.

by Anonymousreply 129August 20, 2021 4:50 AM

I used to like Screamin' Sicilian Boss Hog (sausage) best, but the last few I've bought haven't been very good. The sausage itself is still the best among frozen pizza, but the sauce and/or cheese doesn't seem as good. Overall, I like DiGiorno and CPK best. I tried Motor City Detroit style pizza recently and thought it was decent if you like thicker crust.

by Anonymousreply 130August 20, 2021 4:58 AM

DiGiorno and Freshcetta always have raw uncooked dough in the middle no matter how long I cook it. Some people may just think it’s gooey cheese.

by Anonymousreply 131August 21, 2021 6:13 AM

[quote] I don't like Costco pizza very much. I don't care how cheap it is.

For years I heard people raving about how good the Costco pizza was, which would be the same as their frozen. So I bought one. Disgusting. Probably the worst frozen pizza I ever tried, and by far the most expensive.

While I seldom eat pizza (over 50), I always try to get fresh. If I ate it more often, I would likely just make it at home like a friend does -- really not that hard. Of course once I start down that road I'll be shopping for caftans.

by Anonymousreply 132August 21, 2021 11:35 AM

I think people rave about Costco’s fresh pizza, not the frozen.

by Anonymousreply 133August 21, 2021 11:38 AM

R133 - But isn't it the same thing? One is cooked there on the premises, and the other is frozen. I don't think Kirkland is creating two different pizzas.

by Anonymousreply 134August 21, 2021 11:41 AM

The fresh is made from scratch daily in their kitchen. The frozen is from a factory far away. Different ingredients, different toppings, no fresh veggies on the frozen, probably not the same meat.

by Anonymousreply 135August 21, 2021 11:45 AM

Oh OK. I had no idea that Costco made their pizza fresh every day. How odd.

by Anonymousreply 136August 21, 2021 12:01 PM

I used to get either California Pizza Kitchen or Freschetta, but I don't keep frozen pizza in the house now because I don't eat it. As a special treat, I may order fresh pizza as take out 3-4 times a year, but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 137August 21, 2021 12:07 PM

It's not that hard to make a decent pizza yourself.

by Anonymousreply 138August 21, 2021 2:24 PM

Fresh home made pizza is 10 times better than store bought frozen pizza and even takeout pizza from chains. All you kneed to do is plan the day before. If you want that commercial flavor, just add lots of salt, sugar, MSG, preservatives, and grease to your sauce.

During lock down, it took me 3-4 times to get the crust right for thin crust (I'm not much of a cook and learn by fucking dishes up a few times), but I will never go back.

by Anonymousreply 139August 22, 2021 2:39 AM

R139 Please share your secrets or tips you've learnt to be the most helpful. A recipe might be nice too.

by Anonymousreply 140August 22, 2021 3:32 AM

r140, YouTube

by Anonymousreply 141August 22, 2021 4:33 AM

Lou Malnati's makes a great frozen sausage deep dish. They're Chicago based and available in some grocery stores but ship nationwide. They're more expensive than ordering from Domino's, but if you're like me and live in the country with no pizzarias available, they're good to have on hand.

by Anonymousreply 142August 22, 2021 11:37 AM

I can't find the video now but Refika on YouTube has a pizza recipe which is just a large tortilla for the crust, and the sauce is garlic and roast beef blitzed in a processor with tomato sauce. It sounds weird but it's really good, the only problem is the center of the tortilla is usually soggy while the outer "crust" gets really brown.

by Anonymousreply 143August 22, 2021 11:46 AM

Of course I found the video as soon as I said I couldn't find it.

Basically, the sauce is 10 tablespoons tomato puree, 2 cloves of garlic, 5 sprigs of thyme. 4 tablespoons olive oil, 8 slices cured roast beef (or any kind of cured, smoked meat) and you top that with cheese and whatever you have on hand. It was a lockdown recipe so she used cashews and string cheese but of course you can use better ingredients these days.

I do use less olive oil though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 22, 2021 11:51 AM

Isn't there some chain that sells prepped, raw pizza (not frozen) and you cook it at home? I keep thinking they have an Irish-sounding name. Never tried them but it sounded like something worth a go.

by Anonymousreply 145August 22, 2021 2:58 PM

R145 Papa Murphy’s “take and bake” pizza. Back when I last got it, it was $12-14 for a large cheese, which is not cheap. It tastes okay but wasn’t so good I wanted it regularly.

by Anonymousreply 146August 22, 2021 6:12 PM

I'd like to make pizza at home, but if I try to use raw pizza dough (either homemade, purchased from a store or restaurant, or in a tube) it's a disaster. I can never get it to stretch out properly. And it usually ends up with holes and tears, or uneven thickness. It's a pain to work with. So lately I've been using these thin pizza crust disks they sell in the store. (I don't like thick or doughy crusts, so no Boboli for me.) They work pretty well, and I can get a good crisp crust with a pizza stone. But they don't taste nearly as good as a pizza made with fresh dough.

by Anonymousreply 147August 22, 2021 6:33 PM

So many local pizza joints near me are offering great deals if you just come and pick up the pizza(s), it just doesn't make sense cost-wise or effort-wise to make them entirely from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 148August 23, 2021 12:21 AM

Thank you R145. I couldn't remember it and it was bothering me.

by Anonymousreply 149August 23, 2021 1:12 AM

I make my own dough, freeze it and then thaw it when I'm ready to use it. It tastes better that way.

by Anonymousreply 150August 23, 2021 1:16 AM

Real pizza from your favorite pizza place will freeze great, if wrapped well in foil and thawed and reheated in an oven, not nuked. No frozen pizza tastes as good. If the pizza tastes good when you have it at your pizza place/Italian restaurant, it will taste good after being frozen and reheated. If you get crappy pizza to start with, it won't get any better after being frozen and reheated.

by Anonymousreply 151August 23, 2021 1:21 AM

Safeway's own brand (Signature) has surprisingly good 4 cheese pizza, with self rising crust. It is on sale quite often, which is the only time I buy it, and it is usually $4 on sale. That's 6 slices - two meals.

by Anonymousreply 152August 23, 2021 1:36 AM

Does anyone remember Pizza Inn? I think they went out of business in the 90's. My parents use to take us for pizza sometimes after church. It was to me, the best pizza, but that could just be nostalgia.

by Anonymousreply 153August 23, 2021 2:03 AM

Pillsbury pizza crusts in the can are excellent. Just roll them out on a sheet pan, or use them in a cast iron skillet. There's no need to make your own crust. Who has time for that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154August 23, 2021 2:12 AM

There are no good grocery frozen pizzas. I've never found one, anyway. And believe me, I've fuckin' tried.

by Anonymousreply 155August 23, 2021 2:14 AM

How about a pizzadilla?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 23, 2021 4:14 AM

I really liked that DiGiorno Extra Thin, which seems to be discontinued in my neck of the woods. It was a about a 10” pizza had a gluten-free thin crust which cooked decently well and had a decent chew, along with a decent amount of cheese and sauce. Whole bad boy was under 600 calories. I don’t get why they don’t make more pizzas similar to this. Not everyone wants a huge pizza but those personal ones are too small.

by Anonymousreply 157August 23, 2021 4:20 AM

It was actually DiGiorno Ultra Thin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158August 23, 2021 4:22 AM

The Kroger President's Choice pizzas are excellent and better than the gourmet frozen pizzas that cost 2-3x more. They can get a little oily, so if that bothers you, then just blot it with a paper towel. I personally think it adds to the flavor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 23, 2021 4:29 AM

Home Run Inn is quite good.

by Anonymousreply 160August 23, 2021 4:51 AM

r157 I agree. The single serve DiGiorno's are too skimpy but their regular size are too much for one person.

I'll put on my flame proof suit and say I buy Chef Boyardee pizzas and then add extra toppings. I love those suckers, I add butter to the crust and with extra cheese and toppings they are good.

by Anonymousreply 161August 23, 2021 7:57 AM

Early in the pandemic I got a couple of Chef Boyardee pizzas and they were fine but I thought the crust was a little grainy.

by Anonymousreply 162August 23, 2021 9:49 AM

I’m not a big fan of pizza, but occasionally I like Home Run Inn frozen pizza. Not sure if that’s just a Chicago brand. Anyway, it’s good. Pie-like flaky crust and not too much cheese.

by Anonymousreply 163August 23, 2021 12:04 PM

Screamin' Sicilian

Avoid the Wegmans brand -- they are disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 164August 23, 2021 12:24 PM

The Costco / Kirkland pizza that they make & sell on store premises is not good. It's cheap, very cheap, and IMO that's why people like it.

I had a friend who loved to eat at California Pizza Kitchen (in the restaurant). I ate there with him 2-3 times and did not understand the lure of that pizza. Therefore, I'm not tempted at all to try their frozen pizzas.

by Anonymousreply 165August 23, 2021 5:09 PM

Agreed about California Pizza Kitchen. I never knew what the hell was the big deal. Just hype.

by Anonymousreply 166August 24, 2021 12:49 AM

R165 & R166 Agreed.

R161 & R162 Where is your general location? I have never come across Chef Boyardee Pizzas.

by Anonymousreply 167August 25, 2021 3:28 PM

r167 They aren't actual pizzas--just a box with some sauce and a crust mix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168August 25, 2021 4:08 PM

California Pizza kitchen bbq chicken. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 169August 25, 2021 4:16 PM

Thx R168 Do you or other posters think the mix is better than Pilsbury crust? I'm inclined to make a pizza tonight with a cheater crust.

by Anonymousreply 170August 25, 2021 4:47 PM

r170 I've never tried it. I HAVE tried the Pillsbury crust and it's a pain to work with, in my opinion. But then I always have problems with doughs.

by Anonymousreply 171August 25, 2021 4:57 PM

I can't remember. It's been 20 or 30 years since I bought a frozen pizza from the grocery. Only fresh pizza is acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 172August 25, 2021 5:02 PM

Cheers R171

by Anonymousreply 173August 25, 2021 5:16 PM

r170 I prefer the Chef Boyardee crust, I add warm water and butter to it then drizzle it with oil. I love it

by Anonymousreply 174August 26, 2021 5:25 AM

I don't eat them enough to have a favorite, but if I'm feeling it, I'll get Totino's Combination Pizza Rolls. And they MUST be that brand. Store brands don't have nearly as much flavor. I know it's still a pizza roll in the end, but there's definitely a difference.

by Anonymousreply 175August 26, 2021 5:30 AM

Margerita pizza is my favorite, and a lot of the margerita pizzas that are frozen are cheap and flavorless. Still haven’t found a really good frozen margerita pizza that doesn’t taste bland. The brands that sell frozen woodfired pizzas come the closest though.

Agree with those who think California Pizza Kitchen is blah. I’ve eaten pizza in the restaurant and eaten the frozen pizzas and neither taste good to me. It’s like eating a thin tasteless cracker with cheap, sparse sauce, and cheap cheese on top.

Low quality cheese is always easy to tell from the taste. At least frozen pizzas with feta cheese have more flavor! Totino’s cheese melts so quickly you know that has to be mostly oil.

by Anonymousreply 176August 26, 2021 5:48 AM

Tony's I'm telling ya'll.

by Anonymousreply 177August 26, 2021 5:53 AM

r177 I liked Tony's pizza better in my youth when it had cupped pepperoni on it

by Anonymousreply 178August 26, 2021 7:40 AM

California Pizza Kitchen's BBQ Chicken and Kroger's Cubano Pizza are guilty pleasures.

by Anonymousreply 179August 26, 2021 9:51 AM

Thx R174

by Anonymousreply 180August 26, 2021 4:49 PM

I get pizza crust from the grocery. Then I use fresh basil, fresh cherry tomatoes sliced in half, crushed garlic, sauted baby bella mushrooms, along with loose Italian Sausage, either hot or mild, and drain the grease off. Throw a 15 ounce can of Cento tomato sauce in a small saucepan with some Garlic, a bit of fresh oregano and salt & pepper. Add a dash of red pepper flakes if you want. Let the sauce simmer on low for about 30 minutes. Place everything on the pie crust you've shaped either round or rectangular on a cooking sheet. Sauce first, then meat, then everything else. Use Mozzarella, Parmesano, Pecorino Romano, Asiago, Gran Padano, goat cheese, Feta, etc. Now don't use all of them, but three cheeses are fine. A bit more sauce and then a bit more cheese. Bake in the oven until crust is brown about 45 minutes at 350. Now actually you can use any toppings you like.

by Anonymousreply 181August 26, 2021 6:49 PM

OP here, the original article I posted that was paywalled to some MIGHT have been un-paywalled.

Give it a shot if you're interested. No promises.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182August 26, 2021 8:48 PM

[quote]Oh OK. I had no idea that Costco made their pizza fresh every day. How odd.

I gather the fresh pizza is the one sold in Costco's food court? I did occasionally see a large boxed Costco pizza in their meat section, but my Costco hasn't carried that type for years, just the fresh pizza from their food court and the various frozen varieties. Costco's own Kirkland brand now has bread crump crust and the other variety is Pepperoni, there's also the small individual Sabatasso pizzas (10 to a box, they're actually quite tasty) and whatever 'gourmet' pizza brands Costco carries during their monthly coupon sales.

by Anonymousreply 183August 28, 2021 7:27 AM

I was the one trash-talking Costco pizza, but now that you mention it (R183), that frozen pizza I bought was probably Kirkland -- which may be different from "Costco" fresh made pizza sold in the court. I've never tried the latter because the idea of eating AT a Costco sounds gross to me. Nowadays I only use Instacart for Costco and venture inside, briefly, only to renew because to them it's still 1985 and you can't renew your membership online.

by Anonymousreply 184August 28, 2021 6:19 PM

R184 I've grabbed a hot dog on my way out, but that's it. I wouldn't wish to linger there under those bright fluorescent lights, or hear the countless infants and toddlers crying as I'm eating.. I never tried the pizza, but it's interesting people either passionately love it or passionately hate it.

by Anonymousreply 185August 28, 2021 6:27 PM

Many thanks to those who both recommended Pillsbury and Chef Boyardee crusts. I've made one of each, and about to top them. I shall report back when they've been eaten!

by Anonymousreply 186August 28, 2021 10:01 PM

The verdict is in: Chef Boyardee crusts win! The Pillsbury's crust has absolutely no flavour of its own to speak of. The Boyardee crust not only tastes better, but also became crisp, whilst Pillsbury's became chewy, even after an eight minute pre-bake/blindbake. I cannot recommend Pillsbury in good faith. Both my partner and I do not like chewy crust.

by Anonymousreply 187August 28, 2021 11:22 PM

r187 Glad you liked the Chef Boyardee crust.

by Anonymousreply 188August 29, 2021 4:12 AM

[quote] Nowadays I only use Instacart for Costco and venture inside, briefly, only to renew because to them it's still 1985 and you can't renew your membership online.

I have renewed my Costco membership online. Maybe you need to open an online account. You then "purchase" a membership renewal.

by Anonymousreply 189August 29, 2021 4:17 AM

[quote]Their top two ranked pizzas are both Detroit style pizzas? That’s some BS bias there.

don't know, Detroit Style pizza is very popular and trendy now. There is a place that opened in Philly that serves Detroit Style Pizza and it is all the rage.

by Anonymousreply 190August 29, 2021 4:39 AM

I love Lidl grocery stores frozen pizza. They have a wide selection of gourmet pizzas, but my fave is the self-rising 4 cheese pizza. It is less than 3.00.

by Anonymousreply 191August 29, 2021 4:40 AM

you can also call them and pay by credit card. I have to do it for work all, the time.

by Anonymousreply 192August 29, 2021 4:42 AM

[quote]Many thanks to those who both recommended Pillsbury and Chef Boyardee crusts. I've made one of each, and about to top them.

You topped both the Pillsbury Doughboy and Chef Boy-Ar-Dee? I figured the Doughboy was a bottom, but the Chef seems like a top to me.

by Anonymousreply 193August 29, 2021 4:50 AM

Some local pizza joints will offer "take & bake" pizzas as well as fresh pizza dough as well. I can get fresh pizza dough for only 99 cents at several places near me.

I've never been a fan of Pillsbury pizza dough personally. It has a really noticeable smell/taste to it - I can't quite put my finger on what it is, maybe some kind of artificial butter flavoring? It's actually present in all their products ime.

by Anonymousreply 194August 29, 2021 11:05 AM

R188 👍🍕Thx again, had no idea they existed. We didn't try the sauce yet, as we had a jar of Rao's Pizza Sauce open. We went for 1/2 large Ekrich Pepperoni from the deli counter, and 1/2 Buona Italian Sausage. I added a sprinkle of King Arthur Pizza Seasoning, and dried Oregano before adding the Mozz.

R193 Ha! As I typed that, I had expected there would be such comments! Dough boy was a sloppy squishy bottom (also to be expected) . Boyardee was a stern, take charge power bottom, and surprisingly not doughy.

R194 There's that weird aspect to them as well. I have a S. African friend who uses the crescent dough for his sausage rolls, and indeed, it's the same smell as it bakes.

by Anonymousreply 195August 29, 2021 3:09 PM

I bought a Mama Mary's premade crust today, they were by the Boboli. Haven't tried it yet, has anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 196September 6, 2021 2:47 AM

r195 I use the Pillsbury crescent rolls and wrap it around those little Hillshire Farms or Eckrinch little smokies (I like the kind of weiner with cheese in them).

by Anonymousreply 197September 6, 2021 2:50 AM

For some reason whenever I make Pillsbury crescent rolls, they’re always raw in the middle no matter how long I bake them.

by Anonymousreply 198September 6, 2021 6:22 AM

[quote] I bought a Mama Mary's premade crust today, they were by the Boboli. Haven't tried it yet, has anyone else?

I always thought Mama Mary’s was the cheaper generic store brand to Boboli. Are they a legit brand?

by Anonymousreply 199September 6, 2021 6:23 AM

r199 I bought it at Meijer store that keeps trying to foist their own store brand but Mama Mary's is a legit brand.

by Anonymousreply 200September 6, 2021 6:27 AM

I put ketchup on a ritz with a chunk of a mozz cheese stick on top, and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 201September 6, 2021 2:09 PM

Is Boboli still available? I used to purchase Boboli at the Entenmann's discount outlet, it was waaaay cheaper there compared to supermarket prices.

by Anonymousreply 202September 6, 2021 2:58 PM

Yes, Boboli is still available and it’s expensive, like $8. And they have disgusting recipes on their display shelf like a pumpkin spice pizza where you spread a can of pumpkin on the crust instead of tomato sauce.

by Anonymousreply 203September 6, 2021 11:00 PM

I tried one of those with the crust made out of cauliflower. It tasted good, but let's just say that me and my toilet had an incredible journey together for the next 36 hours - and it's not one I would like to repeat in life - ever.

by Anonymousreply 204September 8, 2021 12:07 AM

[quote]Yes, Boboli is still available and it’s expensive, like $8. And they have disgusting recipes on their display shelf like a pumpkin spice pizza where you spread a can of pumpkin on the crust instead of tomato sauce.

The Boboli at the Entenmann's outlet was around $3 for two. The dough wasn't huge, about the size of two medium size pizzas. I don't recall Boboli ever having large size pizza dough.

The low prices on all the Entenmann's products was likely due to all the stock being close to their expiration dates. Some of the cakes, donuts & cookies were only 50¢ to $1 each, this was during the time Entenmann's was still based in NY and their products were still tasty. The outlet also carried brand name bread and bagels, which were not made by Entenmann's.

by Anonymousreply 205September 8, 2021 12:20 AM

Freschetta is gluten free and pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 206September 8, 2021 12:23 AM

This was about the size the Entemann's outlet sold, but there were two pizza crusts per $3 package, the package size to the left in this photo, not the mini size.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207September 8, 2021 12:24 AM

You go to a "bread outlet" and wth do you expect, r205?

by Anonymousreply 208September 8, 2021 12:38 AM

Can we please move beyond all the middle aged fraus flooding this site?

by Anonymousreply 209September 8, 2021 12:53 AM

Do not attempt to read this thread on an empty stomach, esp. if you don't live within a block of a super grocery store that's open! You will suffer, O! you will suffer!

by Anonymousreply 210September 8, 2021 3:23 AM

[quote]You go to a "bread outlet" and wth do you expect, [R205]?

Not quite sure WTF you are going on about, I was simply explaining that the Entenmann's outlets Boboli prices were less than those at a supermarket.

Jeez, get grip.

by Anonymousreply 211September 8, 2021 8:28 AM

[quote]Can we please move beyond all the middle aged fraus flooding this site?

Gay men don't eat pizza? Not every gay man is a gym rat. Most people enjoy pizza, that includes gay men, straights, lesbians and kids.

Stop trying to control the thread. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 212September 8, 2021 8:43 AM

r206 Freschetta is not "gluten free." They have a gluten-free pizza line, but most of their products definitely have wheat.

by Anonymousreply 213September 8, 2021 4:12 PM

Aren’t we talking about frozen pizzas?!

by Anonymousreply 214September 8, 2021 7:25 PM

[quote] Freschetta is not "gluten free." They have a gluten-free pizza line, but most of their products definitely have wheat.

Now you tell me?! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

by Anonymousreply 215September 10, 2021 10:19 PM

This pizza is by far the best frozen I've ever had. From the beshemel sauce base to the stone baked crust, it's better than many delivery pizzas as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216September 12, 2021 8:01 PM

I like the DiGiorno's small pizza for one traditional crust Supreme. The big rising crust Supreme pizzas are better but I don't like all the leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 217September 13, 2021 4:14 AM

I made myself hungry, just put one of the small DiGiorno's in the oven, towards the end I will put some extra cheese on it.

by Anonymousreply 218September 13, 2021 5:52 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!