Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Random all-caps and liberal use of ellipses?

What is with this posting style? You see it here a lot and always have, but why? Is it one troll, a demographic cohort, or an influx from a particular place (online or irl)? Or is it just standard troll-speak?

It's like they're trying to convey DRAMA...but they just look...STUPID.

Why DOES it....persist?

by Anonymousreply 70August 2, 2021 6:22 PM

cunt right off, fuckhead

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2021 12:14 PM

I’m the DL…dialogue coach.

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2021 12:16 PM

I do it all the time......not only here, but in almost all my communications.

The only exception is an exceedingly formal note, .......typed on letterhead for business / formal personal communications.

by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2021 12:18 PM

I've always assumed it's one person but I've never actually bothered to use Ignoredar and check.

by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2021 12:19 PM

I’d say the all-caps are for EMPHASIS and the ellipses are for… a pause.

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2021 12:19 PM

It's from a user who is absolutely nuts. If the thread is about a gay man like Tom Daley or Pete Buttigieg you will find that user there. Stay away and don't engage with insanity.

by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2021 12:20 PM

You're bitchy if it's all caps, you're bitchy if it's all lower case.

by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2021 12:21 PM

It’s called personal style, op. Too bad you seem lacking in it…

by Anonymousreply 8July 27, 2021 12:21 PM

EAT A FUCKING DICK OMG YOU FUCKING FAG

by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2021 12:23 PM

You don't see it here "a lot," it's only been recently with one poster who types that way. He's excitable but overall his posting style is not a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 10July 27, 2021 12:23 PM

I will admit, I use ellipses... a lot. And have NO shame about it.

LOL!!!

Honestly though, I think some write this way as just an informal, casual way of speaking through text. Really, it's not that serious. Some really do need to relax with the need to constantly correct everyone else. It's an internet gossip site, of all places. Chill out.

by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2021 12:28 PM

It is a common form of writing used mainly in newspaper ads to eliminate the need to read a whole sentence to understand it. It is also used as a tool in speed reading to pick out the essential words in a sentence.. As was said above, all-caps are for EMPHASIS and the ellipses are for… a pause.

Also, random capitalization forces readers to pause for a micro-moment to guess why a particular word is capitalized and then, when they realize it shouldn't be, adjust downward their opinion of the writer and what he or she is trying to say.

All quite above board as legal type-set for publication.

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2021 12:29 PM

I find italicizing and bolding a bit clunky here, so sometimes use caps as in "turned out to be the WORST decision ever!" etc. Elipses are useful to indicate an awkward situation: "Her makeup seemed rather... low class to me."

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2021 12:32 PM

I use them...

...when there is a need to emphasize a point.

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2021 12:37 PM

It's not worth getting all out of gear regarding someone's posting style. We're all individuals and express ourselves in different ways.

"And I am right, and you are right and all is right as right can be..."

- The Mikado (Gilbert and Sullivan)

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2021 12:42 PM

I love the grammer Nazi's. They have corrected my mistakes and they teach us proper grammar. Now what I have written here will be... Oh, deared! Love the oh, dears!! 😘

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2021 12:43 PM

I am sure it must be 'Oh, dear'd!' Let me check!

by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2021 12:45 PM

I think a lot of people are........ missing the POINT!! by.... explaining to op how..... ellipses!!! and caps..... work!? op said... that the poster!! in question uses ....... them randomly!!!! i think.....!!! its just one..... poster!!!!........

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2021 12:46 PM

The only time I use an ellipse is when I include a pic . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2021 12:46 PM

See?! They provide visuals with a lesson. They are precious and we should feel very lucky to have them here. They are a large part of what makes DL so special.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2021 12:50 PM

I think they are sexy.........

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2021 1:13 PM

[quote] Also, random capitalization forces readers to pause for a micro-moment to guess why a particular word is capitalized and then, when they realize it shouldn't be, adjust downward their opinion of the writer and what he or she is trying to say.

Did R12 just throw some high-class shade?

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2021 1:53 PM

Is this who OP is talking about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2021 2:19 PM

Now someone explain the alternating upper and lower case - WhAt ExAcTlY iS tHiS sUpPoSeD tO mEaN?

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2021 2:44 PM

I guess OP doesn't understand the concept of providing emphasis on certain words.

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2021 2:46 PM

R24, that is supposed to indicate that they are quoting a total retard making a super-stupid comment or claim.

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2021 2:46 PM

Only the mentally ill find grammatical errors so disturbing that they are compelled to post their public outrage.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2021 2:52 PM

OP needs to have her throat cut and body burned... this is not school and no one here needs to he corrected. Fuck the grammar trolls to hell.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2021 3:22 PM

An ellipsis consists of three periods. This indicates that words have been removed from a quote. Four periods indicate that the excised words were at the end of a sentence. Five or more periods indicate that you were asleep during 6th grade English class.

Like traffic signals, punctuation and capitalization convey necessary, specific information to the reader. Excessive deviation from their proper use implies ignorance, laziness, or self-importance (a disregard for the reader) on the part of the writer.

Unfortunately, some of the functions that people want to assign ellipses (such as "dramatic pause" or sarcasm) are not always available with punctuation.

This is a style of writing used by those who have very little to say but who still want your undivided attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2021 3:23 PM

What happens when the grammar police eclipse with the ellipsers?

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2021 4:28 PM

We've had enough. Grammer trills left the bilding.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2021 4:53 PM

We've had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2021 5:13 PM

I'm not the grammar troll and I've never been accused of being one before. I've been repeatedly "Oh Dear-ed" here, and probably will be for this post.

But this style of posting grates. It's not about ellipses per se, which serve a purpose for most usages, but the over-reliance on them as an attempt to affect a carefree style that is more cheesy than breezy.

All-caps are indefensible in 2021 unless you are intentionally trying to yell/scream online. Just like how you can emphasize certain words in spoken speech through tone and inflection, you can do this with the written word with punctuation, word phrasing and word order, or just through [italic]italics[/italic] or -dashes-.

There's really no need to shout.

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2021 5:19 PM

When Italics or underline aren't available, using all caps to emphasize a word is pretty standard.

by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2021 5:45 PM

OP, the purpose of all caps is to EMPHASIZE what's important. But you probably knew that and are just trying to stir up shit......?

by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2021 5:52 PM

[quote] But this style of posting grates. It's not about ellipses per se, which serve a purpose for most usages, but the over-reliance on them as an attempt to affect a carefree style that is more cheesy than breezy.

r33 Obviously, you have never read a Harold Pinter play. He uses ellipses in his script writing as stage directions for actors to pause. Ellipses can be very evocative... if, you know how to use them.

by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2021 5:57 PM

OP is correct. There is a certain poster, who has at least one sock puppet, that uses punctuation in a very distinctive way.

When referring to another poster R#, a = always follow afterward. When using exclamation points they are always in threes!!! Ellipsis are used… very often… but dashes sometimes appear - - - to cleanse the palette. CAPITALIZATION is often used, MUCH MORE than an average poster would use, occurring MANY times in a single post. The use of ‘queens’ for gay men often gets thrown around, particularly when speaking of older gay men.

I believe this poster to be the same one called Anonymous In Kansas City, which I always thought was a created persona, because that poster had very similar tics in their posting. In both cases the posting style gets more broad and the tone more flamboyant in relation to the time of evening it’s posted.

Check out poster 77 in this Mayor Pete thread for an example of this posters style. Lots of other examples, homophobic in nature, can be found in the thread about the gay guy killed by a Virginia Tech football player in a hook-up gone wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2021 6:20 PM

Thanks R37. I'm not sure it's one person specifically but it could be. I looked at the post in the thread you referenced and here it is:

[quote]ADOPTING?.....Is something wrong with their SPERM?......Is it "tainted"?.......Pete does not look like the guy who wants a brat that doesn't have HIS DNA.....I think this is just fake fodder for their next boring "we tried to adopt but couldn't" book chapters....PLUS they have a ONE BEDROOM apartment....FAKE..

Wondering if our literary maven at r36 sees this usage as on par with "a Harold Pinter play."

It's just bizarre to me. The folks saying they CAPITALIZE for EMPHASIS... in the post above, why are any of those words capitalized? How is starting the post with one word, capitalized and followed by a question mark, not analogous to screaming? Why is sperm capitalized? Or "plus," "one bedroom," or even "fake?" Why are these words emphasized at all, except to mimic the effect of "spitting them out" as in speech, aka "screaming?"

There's no defending this style. It's not literary the way an actual writer would use these techniques, and it's not just plain "emphasis."

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2021 6:41 PM

Another example of this poster’s work:

[quote] This reminds me of Craigslist. I once met a guy on there around my age (25)....Got there and some old timer invited me in and acted like he was the roommate. Then he told me he was the one who posted the ad and wanted to give me a BJ. I turned him down and (in my naivety I asked him why he tricked me into coming over and he said with a giant grin "everyone does it".....SCUMBAG....I DO NOT feel sorry for this old queen at all---he tricked the wrong guy....That was my last CL ad...

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2021 6:54 PM

The poster is a fucking nutjob based on the last few posts.

I can picture them mumbling those words to themselves as they storm down a sidewalk.

The End.

by Anonymousreply 40July 27, 2021 11:07 PM

I guess it's this guy?

[quote]Bottom line.....you can't change people...since you are not married ...there really isn't a good reason to stay and try to work things out ......graveling and playing games will only make you look desperate and needy.....you must find the courage to move on .......or continue on the present path of indulging your sense of hopelessness.

Pointless. Maybe he speaks like a robot...?

by Anonymousreply 41July 27, 2021 11:10 PM

R41, yes and this another of their’s from the same “My Boyfriend Won’t Touch Me” thread at R 15 bringing Chasten into the topic as a non sequitur.

[quote] OP = Show your husband the article about you that your FRIEND wrote ...Funny how she always writes brown nose articles about you.....

Anything having to do with Pete, Chasten, or Anderson Cooper they absolutely hate. Someone in another thread said this person was a troll from Lipstick Alley, but I don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2021 12:03 AM

I will admit that I have a weird style when I post - BUT - I was reading a thread a month or so back and one post looked JUST like something I would have written. I literally thought I might have posted it and didn’t remember. Filled with lol | … | - | !!!

I realized that I am not unique. 😔

However, I am NOT the freak quoted above. I do have my standards…

by Anonymousreply 43July 28, 2021 12:19 AM

Oh, good heavens! Such a fuss over NOTHING! I admit I get EXCITED sometimes, but I KNOW that you bitches cannot read sentences... only WORDS! Hence, my dilemma.

by Anonymousreply 44July 28, 2021 12:02 PM

That was interesting ^^^ about pinter and his ellipses. He’s a playwright of course, so is a part of dialog. Which writers have used and abused them in plain prose?

by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2021 12:31 PM

I think it's sweet...almost like a term of endearment

by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2021 1:13 PM

OP you must lead a truly charmed life if this is what annoys you.

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2021 1:21 PM

I don’t think that anyone really cares about this troll’s punctuation flourishes, at least I don’t.

What I do care about is the stupidity and homophobia it expresses. It’s a constant stream of anti-gay propaganda.

It also denigrates older men in particular, which is odd because its anachronistic posting style harkens back to a time when gay men called each other sister and other dumb stuff that Erna would spout.

by Anonymousreply 48July 28, 2021 2:27 PM

Who is this IDIOT who WRITES like this all over the site? It is that Eduarda person?

by Anonymousreply 49July 31, 2021 3:24 PM

I'd rather put up with ellipses than the emojis which makes the writer look like a 12 yo girl.

by Anonymousreply 50July 31, 2021 3:26 PM

I don't mind emojis once on a while, such as 👍but the different faces are overused; don't get me started on the popular fecal one!

by Anonymousreply 51July 31, 2021 3:38 PM

OP has had ENOUGH.

by Anonymousreply 52July 31, 2021 3:41 PM

There's a troll who I notice has been threatening to get people red tagged, then they get red tagged and he gloats, and he uses a ton of superfluous punctuation and lots of !!! when he does it. I thought at first that's who OP was talking about, but Tony's examples seem to be another guy altogether.

Then there was a guy pretending to be a surgeon in one thread, an epidemiologist in another, who used ellipses as though he were getting paid for every period. Hard to sort all these folks out sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 53July 31, 2021 3:49 PM

R5 is……EXACTLY right!

by Anonymousreply 54July 31, 2021 3:52 PM

These posters are influenced by the Daily Mail, where it's their style to ALL CAP shocking or salacious words in a headline for maximum clicks.

by Anonymousreply 55July 31, 2021 3:56 PM

R53 I blocked that troll but isn't he the "ancient white faggots" troll too? Seems like I blocked her for shrieking that and threatening to tell Tony on me and red tag me. I finally just blocked her lame ass. He seemed to act like knowing a Mediapolis guy was something to be scared of as if I don't know Tony T's name along with the others.

by Anonymousreply 56July 31, 2021 4:36 PM

Don't be such a priss, Donna!

by Anonymousreply 57July 31, 2021 4:39 PM

It would not surprise me if it was the same guy, r56. That would explain how he was able to get people red tagged for doing almost nothing. I thought that was happening before but yesterday I saw it in real time and I was REALLY confused, because I couldn't figure out why some little scumbucket like him could get people banned, but now I know.

by Anonymousreply 58July 31, 2021 4:43 PM

[quote] I love the grammer Nazi's. They have corrected my mistakes and they teach us proper grammar. Now what I have written here will be... Oh, deared! Love the oh, dears!! 😘

Since you asked for it, I have to ask: the Nazi’s what? You love the grammar Nazi’s caftan?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 59July 31, 2021 4:47 PM

R59, sweetheart, darling, sugar lumps, that guy was joking.

by Anonymousreply 60July 31, 2021 4:49 PM

I don’t mind occasional use of all-caps. We’ve all gotten over-excited and want to get loud! Regarding ellipses, I agree with this:

[quote] It's not about ellipses per se, which serve a purpose for most usages, but the over-reliance on them as an attempt to affect a carefree style that is more cheesy than breezy.

The over-use of ellipses is rampant among young people on Twitter and the way they use it is especially revolting. It’s like they’re trying to make themselves sound too fragile to write.

by Anonymousreply 61July 31, 2021 5:00 PM

Significance of Ellipsis in Literature

[quote]Authors use ellipses for many reasons, similar to the diverse ways we use ellipses in written and spoken language. Authors generally use ellipsis examples in their works of literature to indicate an omission of unnecessary words or information. Authors also use examples of ellipsis to build tension when it seems as though a character or the narrator is leaving something unfinished, unsaid, or un-started. The popularity and usage of ellipsis has also changed over time; it used to be more common to find ellipses standing in for proper nouns or expletives. Journalists and academicians also use ellipses in their writing to indicate that a quote has been condensed for purposes of saving space. Poets may also use ellipses to indicate irony or make the reader consider a certain thought or line.

by Anonymousreply 62July 31, 2021 5:13 PM

What thread was that R58?

by Anonymousreply 63July 31, 2021 5:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 31, 2021 5:14 PM

I need.... A SWIFT KICK IN MY CUNT!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 65July 31, 2021 5:18 PM

I am still trying to figure out why the Wikipedia is now full of diacritical marks. There ARE NO...DIACRITICAL marks in English.

The first rule of Wikipedia is only use the alphabet of the language.

by Anonymousreply 66July 31, 2021 5:23 PM

The threads were deleted after people got red tagged, r63. I know of three, but there were possibly more.

The one thread in particular I'm thinking of had someone mention that a troll had apparently threatened to call the cops on DL posters. I asked which troll it was, and the "cheesecake at Estelle Getty's grave" guy threatened to tattle on me to Muriel because I had said the troll's name. He said "you're not as clever as you think you are" and said I'd get red tagged.

Meanwhile, GapPG was ALSO threatening the OP and other users with red tags. Kept saying they were harassing people. They weren't, as far as I could tell.

That was weird enough, but even weirder was that two people GapPG had threatened really DID get red tagged. Then the thread was deleted.

This thread I'm linking to below is an older thread but it has some of the same weirdness going on, with GapPG threatening someone with a red tag, who then later actually does get a red tag. GapPG then gloats and gloats and gloats about it.

I posted what I thought was the explanation for all this at the end of the linked thread but I don't think it's accurate anymore. Honestly, I don't know what's going on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 31, 2021 6:16 PM

I blocked the Gap Playlist troll way back R67. Tybee and MPC are the same person....evidenced by being the only posters on the old Z Lounge site. God only knows how many sock puppets Matt A has but it wouldn't surprise me if he and GPG were on and the same. The same childish vindictiveness and mental problems.

by Anonymousreply 68July 31, 2021 6:25 PM

When I see a post with entire words (not acronyms) capitalized, I think that the poster feels like nobody is paying attention to them. It's sad.

I also think the poster does not know how to be concise, hence, the "random" words in all-caps. They're hoping you catch their point within their word salad.

Using all caps (every single word in caps) is another story. It's plain rude.

Ellipses (other than those used to indicate deletion of text) ... I'm guilty of using ellipses. However, it should be three dots only. If I really think about it, it's frau-ish to use ellipses. (If you love something ... set it free.)

by Anonymousreply 69July 31, 2021 6:29 PM

That troll doesn't just write CAPS.

He also writes his posts on THREE LINES.

LIKE this.

by Anonymousreply 70August 2, 2021 6:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!