Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WaPo: In Official Washington, Chasten Buttigieg is a stranger in a (very) strange land

Chasten talks about going to a lobbyist gym, his new wardrobe and finding a new job!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340August 18, 2021 7:04 AM

Jesus, how many times does he say "I was like" or "it's like" in this profile? It's embarrassing. His excuse for not getting a new teaching job because he's too much of a "high-profile person" is beyond laughable. Almost as funny as taking a WaPo styles reporter with you to Nordstrom and Banana Republic only to have one salesperson call you a fat cow and another refuse your return.

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2021 1:12 PM

Cut and paste the damned article, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2021 1:14 PM

That couldn't have been worse (apart from throwing in a pic of his tinymeat).

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2021 1:16 PM

Who knew Pete would fall for such a drama queen?

My mother had to follow my father in the military all over the world many times and she did it beautifully and graciously without the whining. She didn't have the level of perks and luxuries this guy has. She also did it balancing children. And in heels!

Woman up, Chasten!

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2021 1:20 PM

Gurls, time to sharpen those knives and bare those claws!!!

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2021 1:22 PM

I'm not as invested in them as a lot of people are, but this was a nice story and he comes across well in it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2021 1:22 PM

A nice story? Fat lazy bitch eats quiche and shops all day? Can't dress for parties?

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2021 1:24 PM

I dunno r6 I think Chasten comes across as immature and unhappy. I’m not totally unsympathetic to his plight, because DC can be an awful place.

Interesting that Pete chose not to grant an interview.

I love how he tries to paint them as just a couple of struggling middle class guys yet Pete makes a quarter mil a year and they just bought a house on Lake Michigan.

I think he comes across as immature and unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2021 1:25 PM

He should talk to those lobbyists and get a job.

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2021 1:31 PM

[quote] His excuse for not getting a new teaching job because he's too much of a "high-profile person" is beyond laughable.

Some of us "high-profile" people have found a way to continue teaching.

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2021 1:35 PM

"He’s considered taking a page from Jill Biden and trying to get a job teaching college, which might be less fraught." I didn't realize it was that easy to score a college-level teaching position, particularly without a terminal degree in one's field! If he loves theater so much there are many other ways to remain involved. He just wants a baby to have something to do during the day since no other adults on the east coast find him worthwhile.

That "portrait" at the end of the story can only be construed as a cruel joke on the part of the photographer, as that awkward pose only accentuates his belly, too-tight pants and Joker-like grin. Even Britney Spears has better media training than this.

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2021 1:48 PM

The reporters could make him look great if they wanted to (see McCain). They don't want homos getting too comfy.

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2021 1:52 PM

We could use some ushers. No salary but we'll supply the masks.

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2021 2:01 PM

The Chipotle on 8th Street SE is usually hiring!

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2021 2:07 PM

All of this weekend Ironman stuff is very basic bitch.

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2021 2:07 PM

Wrong Pete thread. ^

by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2021 2:08 PM

This is not good for Chasten. WaPo didn't publish this story by chance. It's laying the ground work for being dumped by Pete. ("He just wasn't comfortable in DC...")

by Anonymousreply 17July 26, 2021 2:13 PM

R17 They're literally planning to adopt a baby.

by Anonymousreply 18July 26, 2021 2:15 PM

I love how r10 thought he made some gotcha comment, except that that's specifically covered in the article. (And yes, he was talking about middle/high school teaching positions.)

by Anonymousreply 19July 26, 2021 2:22 PM

Imagine if the gay community supported each other like every other minority community in America supports each other. What a wonderful world that would be.

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2021 2:27 PM

He has the kind of stories that might play well enough in Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2021 2:29 PM

Imagine if everyone in the gay community was worthy of uncritical adulation, R20.

by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2021 2:33 PM

[quote]Imagine if the gay community supported each other like every other minority community in America supports each other. What a wonderful world that would be.

The difference is that gays don't produce other gays, whereas every other minority produces more of its own. I don't have much motivation or inclination to support other gays, because they've never done much good for me.

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2021 2:36 PM

Chasten is the gay Christty Teigen.

by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2021 2:39 PM

The problem, R20, is that Chasten is not smart, sophisticated, ambitious, insightful, or attractive--he has absolutely nothing to offer except being gay. At least Cindy McCain is rich and has had decent work done. Chasten is a basic rube from flyover country, and while that may describe the upbringing of most DLers, it's just not sufficient for the rest of the gay community to "support" him. The fish out of water angle is tired; it's 2021, everybody knows what kind of town DC is, even if one's only exposure to it was through watching Murphy Brown as a young gayling.

by Anonymousreply 25July 26, 2021 2:50 PM

Pete cannot get rid of Chasten. He has to make this relationship work. Being in a committed gay relationship is at the core of his brand. No one wants a single gay man on the make in a cabinet level position in the federal government.

I can’t read the article, but maybe it’s time for Chasten to share a little less. They just need to find him a Henry Higgins.

by Anonymousreply 26July 26, 2021 2:59 PM

Is stranger in strange land, like me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 26, 2021 3:39 PM

Approaching Hilaria Baldwin levels of awful spouse.

by Anonymousreply 28July 26, 2021 3:53 PM

We all love Chasten!!! Woooo-hoooo!!!

by Anonymousreply 29July 26, 2021 4:03 PM

[quote] [R17] They're literally planning to adopt a baby.

r18 Chas can keep the baby in the settlement. Pete will keep the house on Lake Michigan

by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2021 5:17 PM

Best possible read on this article is that it is a puff piece to increase Pete’s frau appeal. But mostly he seems like he doesn’t like being a political wife. For him, it was probably better to be one in South Bend.

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2021 5:55 PM

He just hasn't settled into the city yet. And all of the hung black tops in DC haven't found his private grindr yet. Give it time, he won't want to leave after a few more months after discovering the "charms" of the city

by Anonymousreply 32July 26, 2021 6:03 PM

There was something charming about this but I’m not sure what the point of it is or how it will play in D.C. society. Is the message, “Take pity on Chasten” and/or “Lobbyists, leave Chasten alone”? I’m not sure of the utility of a profile that says “I have no direction”. But there is a kind of shaggy rescue dog quality to it. Maybe it’s meant to play to people outside of D.C. like a sort of “Chasten Buttigieg is in D.C. now” piece.

Part of me thinks he’ll find his way and part of me thinks, I give it 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 33July 26, 2021 6:16 PM

[quote]Best possible read on this article is that it is a puff piece to increase Pete’s frau appeal.

Yeah, and it's working. They loved the article, and Chasten is currently trending on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 34July 26, 2021 7:44 PM

[quote]After the mall, Chasten is thinking about Pete. It’s their third wedding anniversary. During a quick Target stop, he spots a hot pink gift bag with a close-up of a dog that resembles Buddy, their one-eyed puggle. It reads, “You’re Pug-tastic.” “OMG,” Chasten says. “That’s it. That’s the one.” He slips it into a wobbly-wheeled cart, confident it will make Pete smile. “This is great.”

No. Words.

by Anonymousreply 35July 26, 2021 8:32 PM

[quote]The secretary’s husband isn’t particularly interested in talking pipelines and packages all night. He wants to dish about the HBO comedy “Hacks.” Alas, he seldom sees an opening.

Seems like there are several subliminal messages buried in this paragraph, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 36July 26, 2021 8:38 PM

To teach community college, one needs at least a master's degree in the field.

Chastity has a master's in being a lazy, unemployed fattie.

by Anonymousreply 37July 26, 2021 8:40 PM

she's even fuglier than pete

by Anonymousreply 38July 26, 2021 8:41 PM

Mrs. Shit Goes to Washington

by Anonymousreply 39July 26, 2021 8:45 PM

[quote]Pete Buttigieg, who declined to be interviewed for this story

Hahaha

by Anonymousreply 40July 26, 2021 8:58 PM

I don't know him.

by Anonymousreply 41July 26, 2021 8:59 PM

I am not reading the article, I do not care that Pete's spouse is presented as having a difficult time either fitting in or adjusting to life in DC.

If R35's quote really is an actual quote from the piece in the Post, I agree , "No. Words." But I will add, "Mary!"

by Anonymousreply 42July 26, 2021 9:32 PM

R32, maybe, but with a big political spotlight on him, it will be very difficult for him to partake in that.

by Anonymousreply 43July 26, 2021 9:35 PM

To teach at the community college level only takes a Master's degree for most courses. Why doesn't he just go back to school, then teach? Oh yeah, because he wants to be a stay at home dad. The baby announcement will come soon. Pete is nearly 40. Time to get started on a family.

by Anonymousreply 44July 26, 2021 9:39 PM

[quote]Pete Buttigieg, who declined to be interviewed for this story

For reasons which are well known to anyone with the slightest bit of intuition.

by Anonymousreply 45July 26, 2021 9:41 PM

[quote] And in heels!

Well, it's easier to do when your heels are always in the air.

by Anonymousreply 46July 26, 2021 9:49 PM

So many Dataloungers want to replace Chasten as Mrs. Buttygig.

by Anonymousreply 47July 26, 2021 9:49 PM

R45 What's wrong with Chasten having autonomy from his husband? Why does Pete need to be involved in every situation? There was no need for Pete to be interviewed as he is constantly doing the TV rounds right now, fighting for infrastructure. And his involvement in that interview would then come up when Pete is trying to discuss government matters.

by Anonymousreply 48July 26, 2021 9:51 PM

He has time to do those basic bitch weekend athletic torture sprees.

by Anonymousreply 49July 26, 2021 9:53 PM

Pointless bitchery, I know, and I’ve laughed at your comments, at the atrocious word choices noted in R36, and the dog gift bag, because JFC.

But I am hoping that Chasten proves to be a good DC spouse and that their marriage is a lasting one. Wish he’d get a teaching job at a school where he can make a difference, especially to gay youth. He doesn’t need to be a househusband. He seems...needy.

by Anonymousreply 50July 26, 2021 9:56 PM

[quote] After the mall, Chasten is thinking about Pete. It’s their third wedding anniversary. During a quick Target stop, he spots a hot pink gift bag with a close-up of a dog that resembles Buddy, their one-eyed puggle. It reads, “You’re Pug-tastic.” “OMG,” Chasten says. “That’s it. That’s the one.” He slips it into a wobbly-wheeled cart, confident it will make Pete smile. “This is great.”

O MY GOD. If this is really from the article and not a parody of it then sorry, Pete, but you ain't never getting to the White House.

Why did Chasten even agree to this article?

by Anonymousreply 51July 26, 2021 9:58 PM

He needs to find a gym.

by Anonymousreply 52July 26, 2021 9:59 PM

Wow he got fat and big breasties.

by Anonymousreply 53July 26, 2021 10:02 PM

Since he likes kids and animals, maybe he should be a party planner for the wealthy children of DC bigwigs.

by Anonymousreply 54July 26, 2021 10:09 PM

He's the new Elizabeth Edwards, and we all know how that ends.

by Anonymousreply 55July 26, 2021 10:09 PM

R55 called it. Perfect comparison.

by Anonymousreply 56July 26, 2021 10:12 PM

Wow, he is really needy and directionless. It almost seems like this is a message to Pete and Pete won't bite (refused to be interviewed), so WAPO had to contact random Chasten friends to interview.

Here's the article:

Chasten Buttigieg put on a few pounds during quarantine. So in April, with pandemic restrictions easing and two doses of vaccine safely in his arm, he set about looking for a gym to join in the city where he had relocated after his husband, Pete, became the secretary of transportation.

He found one on Capitol Hill that seemed nice enough, he says, until one of the gym’s personal trainers approached him and explained that he also worked as a lobbyist and that his boss would be upset if he didn’t take the opportunity to ask Chasten to pass along some information to the secretary.

“It was like, ‘Well, can’t go here. Can’t go to the lobbyist gym,’ ” Chasten recalls during a recent interview, rolling his eyes beneath his signature owl-framed glasses.

He’d been warned. Before the Buttigieges moved to Washington, a friend gave them a critical piece of advice about life in the Capitol: “Work is play and play is work.”

Six months in, the former first man of South Bend, Ind., can’t believe how true it is. “Like, anytime you think you’re just relaxing, you’re working,” he says. “Especially on the Hill. Cocktails, dinners, drinks. Everyone says, ‘No work tonight.’ Then two minutes go by and they’re talking about a pipeline, you know, or a bill or a package.”

The secretary’s husband isn’t particularly interested in talking pipelines and packages all night. He wants to dish about the HBO comedy “Hacks.” Alas, he seldom sees an opening.

Such is life in Washington for Chasten, who finds himself in the deep end of an education in what it means to be the husband of a powerful political figure in a town of grippers, grinners and wonks.

Chasten, 32, was the breakout star of Pete’s 2020 presidential campaign. The middle-school drama teacher was a novelty. Not just because he was the man married to an openly gay presidential candidate, but because he was young, a savvy and self-effacing user of social media, enthusiastic about pop culture in a way that didn’t feel strained or strategic.

Chasten Buttigieg has been a homeless community college student and a Starbucks barista. Could he be ‘first gentleman’?

In Washington, Chasten is more of a fish out of water than he was on the campaign. He remains bewildered by many of Washington’s social mores.

Example: The Buttigieges recently received a dinner invitation that came with two notes on what to expect: “Super casual. No work.” The host even mentioned that there would be bike parking, presumably because Pete Buttigieg often cycles to work.

Chasten wavered, having rarely seen his definition of “casual” on display at social events in D.C., but he eventually pulled on chinos and a polo shirt. “I was like, ‘I swear to God, if we show up and everyone’s in suits and dresses. . . ,” he says. “And we showed up and everyone was in suits and dresses.”

by Anonymousreply 57July 26, 2021 11:29 PM

On a Friday morning in June, Chasten sits at a window-side table at Canopy at the Wharf, entertaining his visiting mother-in-law over breakfast until Pete could get out of work. It’s the start of D.C.’s highly celebratory Pride weekend, but he is not enmeshed enough with the city’s nongovernment circles to take part. (“Oh, is there a parade this weekend?” he replies when asked about his Pride plans.)

“It’s very hard to make a friend when everybody wants something from your husband,” he says. “Or they’re expecting him to do something. It makes interactions feel inauthentic a lot. You just kind of have to always have your guard up.”

It’s a familiar kind of whiplash for newcomers, especially those trailing a spouse rather than chasing a dream.

“It has definitely been an adjustment for him,” says Eddie Neve, a friend since college at the University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire. “When I moved to New York, I always told him that in New York everyone is trying to go somewhere and achieve something. And I feel like D.C. is the same way. But he’s such a communal person. When people come up to him, there may be something there beyond that they just want to grab coffee. He’s kind of had to change his thinking a little bit and anticipate that.”

While Pete seems to know exactly what he’s doing here, Chasten is less certain. He remains somewhat stranded on an elevated, ill-defined pedestal on the dais of Official Washington. He is paid nothing, has no title and feels alternately in-demand and ineffectual.

But he has held tight to a personal refrain: “What you’re doing is important.”

Even when what you’re doing isn’t exactly clear.

"We're going to take those out the maximum," Chasten says, pulling at the thigh area of a new pair of suit pants two weeks later as he turns to examine himself in a three-way mirror at a Nordstrom in Arlington.

by Anonymousreply 58July 26, 2021 11:30 PM

He bought the grayish-green suit on winter clearance, but never bothered to have it tailored. Now the tailor has bad news. The slim-cut pants can’t be made much wider.

“Well, hopefully I get smaller,” Chasten quips. “I’ll do my best not to sit down.”

He never owned a suit until he started dating Pete. Never needed one. Then Pete ran for president, so Chasten spent a year living in them.

Love is the reason Chasten Buttigieg is willing to do all of this — move to a new city, leave his friends and family, give up his own career and privacy.

Pete Buttigieg, who declined to be interviewed for this story, seems a natural fit with Official Washington’s coterie of overachievers who never take a break. His gig in the Biden Cabinet seems to be going great; on Friday, Politico gushed that Pete had “redefined” transportation secretary as a premier posting, declaring him the winner of the recent infrastructure-bill drama on Capitol Hill.

The 39-year-old Harvard grad, former McKinsey consultant and Navy reservist has so much excess ambition that, in addition running the U.S. Department of Transportation, he is also training to compete in a Half Ironman triathlon this fall. He wakes for a 6 a.m. swim session most weekday mornings and stacks his weekends with long runs, bike rides and workshops on open-water swimming.

One day, Chasten was riding a bike alongside Pete on a 10-mile run, for moral support. Afterward, while Pete paced in circles catching his breath, a young man approached the couple with a smartphone and questioned the secretary about his position on China. Pete handled the ambush with impressive equanimity, according to his husband, warding off the man with a book recommendation.

Chasten is a drama kid at heart, but Washington is a different kind of theater. The show never stops, and you don’t always know when you’re onstage — and on whose terms. “When your life becomes the center for other people’s criticisms and commentary all the time, why stay?” he says.

“It’s why I love him very much,” he continues, talking about Pete. “He’s so committed to the job. And you can tell he’s happy and can tell he cares, but sometimes it’s like, ‘Well, it feels like you’re built for this; it feels like you can handle it.’ Sometimes I’m like, ‘I’m done. I’m taking a break. I can’t be everything for everybody all the time.’ ”

by Anonymousreply 59July 26, 2021 11:30 PM

After the Nordstrom stop, Chasten faced the good and bad of his new reality while trying to return some new purchases at Banana Republic: One star-struck salesperson wanted a photo with him, and another wouldn’t credit his account without a receipt. Fearing the idea of people gossiping that Pete Buttigieg’s husband is a difficult customer, he chose not to press his case. Another time, while walking the dogs, his stomach dropped when he caught a glimpse of his reflection at a coffee shop. “My hair was sticking straight up on the side,” he says. “I was like, ‘Oh my God. I’m going to be in Playbook for looking like an idiot.’ ” (Chasten has been name-checked several times in Playbook — the Politico newsletter where the city’s political class stares at its own reflection — but never for “looking like an idiot.”)

He’s found a few places in the city where he feels at least somewhat comfortable. He loves ducking out to Eastern Market for the quiches, bacon and croissants — the Buttigieges’ favorite weekend brunch. Kramers, in Dupont Circle, has become a haven. And while friends often invite them to fancy restaurants, the couple’s favorite spot so far is Mr. Henry’s, the longtime Capitol Hill saloon, where they can order beers and burgers.

“I see the charm in it,” Chasten says of D.C. “I know there are people who are very in love with the city.”

It’s a short stroll from charmed to sticker-shocked, and one of the couple’s favorite Washington pastimes is playing Zillow Price Is Right, where they try to guess the out-of-reach appraisal values of homes they admire and then look up the actual estimate online.

The Buttigieges themselves moved into an 800-square-foot, one-bedroom apartment near Eastern Market. “We couldn’t afford the one-bedroom-plus-den,” Chasten says. They chose the high-end building because of its location and the security it offered — the couple has faced threats and even a break-in back in South Bend. Rent for currently available two-bedrooms start at $5,650, though Chasten says they got their one-bedroom for closer to $3,000 by locking in a long lease that gave them two months rent-free.

by Anonymousreply 60July 26, 2021 11:30 PM

“We’re doing fine for ourselves, and [yet] the city is almost unaffordable,” he adds, while driving their Subaru Outback up I-395. “Which tells you how extremely unaffordable it is for many people.” (The transportation secretary’s salary is $221,400.)

The couple sold their home in South Bend earlier this year, knowing they couldn’t keep up the old Victorian from afar. But they didn’t leave the Midwest behind entirely, purchasing a home on Lake Michigan, in Traverse City, Mich., where Chasten grew up and where his parents still live. He likes to escape there, when he can, to hang drywall with his dad and surround himself with old friends — “people who remind me of, like, me.”

“His ambition is just living his life — in a very wonderful way. I don’t know many people like that,” says Charlotte Clymer, a writer and activist who became friends with Chasten during the presidential campaign. “He’s just himself. He doesn’t try to mold himself into what he thinks people want. It’s not even that he resists it. But he says the best person he can be is himself.”

"I need a job," Chasten says flatly.

Namely, he wants a job that will pose no risk to his husband’s career while also allowing him to remain true to his passions and personality. Stepping away from teaching middle-school drama has been one of his biggest sacrifices, says Neve, Chasten’s friend since college. “He loves to play; he loves theater and improv,” Neve says. “Bringing that to younger kids was an outlet for him.”

He feels he can’t go back — at least now, and not at the K-12 level. How could he be honest and present in the work of teaching young people, he wonders, knowing that a disgruntled parent could make news by airing their grievances?

“Teaching is a hard job, and it requires you to make difficult decisions. You need a lot of individuality in the role.” he says. “You need a lot of trust. Trust from parents, trust from the students. And when you are high-profile person, there are many vulnerabilities.” He’s considered taking a page from Jill Biden and trying to get a job teaching college, which might be less fraught.

In between Pete’s presidential campaign and his Cabinet appointment, Chasten did find work that allowed him to be vulnerable on his own terms. In the attic of their house in South Bend, he wrote a memoir that would be titled, “I Have Something to Tell You,” which he’s now adapting for adolescent readers.

“When reporters would ask me questions like ‘Did you ever imagine this is where you’d end up?’ and ‘What prepared you for this?’ part of me felt like they were saying, ‘People like you don’t really belong here,’ ” he writes in the book.

And then, several paragraphs later: “I believed so strongly in my husband and our marriage that I got to the point where I was forced to start believing in myself, too.”

by Anonymousreply 61July 26, 2021 11:31 PM

The Buttigieges are also preparing to begin work on an important job, together: raising a child.

They’ve been trying to adopt for a year now, going through home studies and parenting workshops, writing up descriptions of their family values and ideal weekends. They are on lists that would allow them to receive a baby who has been abandoned or surrendered at very little notice, and through lengthier processes that would allow a prospective mother to choose them in advance (although she wouldn’t know their identities). They’ve gotten close enough, on multiple occasions, to shop for baby gear and discuss names.

One afternoon, two weeks ago, Chasten got a call about a birth mother who was in labor and wanted to place her baby for adoption. The couple scrambled to figure out how to clear their schedules, track down an infant car seat and travel to the state where she was delivering the baby. A few hours later, he got another call. The mother had changed her mind.

“It’s a really weird cycle of anger and frustration and hope,” says Chasten. “You think it’s finally happening and you get so excited, and then it’s gone.” He thinks, sometimes, about what they will tell their future child: “We tried so hard for you. We waited so long for you.” He fantasizes about taking a little one to Michigan, where they could romp through the woods and cast fishing lines with Grandpa.

After the mall, Chasten is thinking about Pete. It’s their third wedding anniversary. During a quick Target stop, he spots a hot pink gift bag with a close-up of a dog that resembles Buddy, their one-eyed puggle. It reads, “You’re Pug-tastic.”

“OMG,” Chasten says. “That’s it. That’s the one.” He slips it into a wobbly-wheeled cart, confident it will make Pete smile. “This is great.”

Pete has something planned for the night, although he’s keeping the details a surprise. The secretary did give Chasten one hint: “Don’t wear anything too dressy.”

So he won’t. Chasten Buttigieg knows there’s one Washington insider who won’t lead him astray.

by Anonymousreply 62July 26, 2021 11:32 PM

Chasten is going to end up in a dumpster somewhere in northern VA.

by Anonymousreply 63July 26, 2021 11:38 PM

I didn't realize he was only 32. He sounds like it. Though admittedly a rather immature 32. I guess love wants what it wants because I can't imagine why these 2 are together.

The bitching about apartment costs is ridiculous. There are cheaper and very nice apartments elsewhere. Pete can bike to work as usual. He sounds like AOC only on a meaningfully higher salary.

Get a job.

by Anonymousreply 64July 26, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote]And his involvement in that interview would then come up when Pete is trying to discuss government matters.

It would only come up because it's such an embarrassing piece which Chasten should have had more sense than agree to.

by Anonymousreply 65July 27, 2021 12:03 AM

Pete will never leaves Chasten. He's addicted to getting dicked down by Chasten's horse-cock every night. I've read that he squirms in his chair during meetings and all the men around him look at each other and nod. They know.

by Anonymousreply 66July 27, 2021 12:33 AM

The idea of Chasten dicking anyone down is hilarious. Thanks for the comedy, R66.

by Anonymousreply 67July 27, 2021 12:42 AM

It's true. Chasten had a lot of fans in the South Bend baths.

by Anonymousreply 68July 27, 2021 1:03 AM

Chasten could be a towel boy at the D.C. baths. Besides getting him out of the house, no one will be trying to leverage influence with Pete, as they'll all be cruising for dick.

by Anonymousreply 69July 27, 2021 1:08 AM

I honestly am confused about what the point of this article is. Why does this exist, why did Chasten want to go to press with this?!

Just WHY?

by Anonymousreply 70July 27, 2021 1:22 AM

R70 Is this interview a cry for help? Or his WAPO trying to do him a solid by telling the DC snobs to invite him into their circles. The article repeatedly states that Chasten is lonely and is turning to food for comfort. On the other hand, Pete is so extra. Training for an Iron Man competition while promising to be available to take a newborn at a moment's notice? It's like Pete is going all over the world to try to send Chasten the message that gurl needs to step up her game. Chaz might even make some acquaintances at the gym while making an effort to keep his man's attention.

by Anonymousreply 71July 27, 2021 1:39 AM

r69 And even the most seasoned customers would soon know whose dick they had been cruising for all their lives.

by Anonymousreply 72July 27, 2021 1:44 AM

I didn’t have a strong opinion of him before reading this article, but I do now! He sure seems peeved that he’s not as important as Pete.

by Anonymousreply 73July 27, 2021 1:55 AM

The one part of the article I appreciated was talking honestly about how difficult it is to adopt an baby. So many people don't realize how hard it is for gay men to become fathers.

by Anonymousreply 74July 27, 2021 2:11 AM

In the South Bend baths, Chasten had a reputation for being an aggressive top who was nicknamed the Elephant Man, because they said he had a trunk in his pants.

by Anonymousreply 75July 27, 2021 2:35 AM

No matter times you peddle that story, no one is buying dear r75. Take it to Nifty.

by Anonymousreply 76July 27, 2021 2:43 AM

R75 I can believe they called him the Elephant Man but not for the reason you gave.

by Anonymousreply 77July 27, 2021 3:13 AM

I love the idea that there is such a place as the “South Bend Baths.”

And just a short drive from the Muncie theater district!!

by Anonymousreply 78July 27, 2021 4:15 AM

So Jill Biden could be a teacher for 8 years while 2nd Lady of the US, but the husband of the Secretary of Transportation is too high profile? Okaaaay.

by Anonymousreply 79July 27, 2021 5:19 AM

I think the last secretary of transportation’s spouse managed to have a job of some kind.

by Anonymousreply 80July 27, 2021 5:23 AM

For anyone who doesn't know---PETE (and CHASTEN) spend a TON of money promoting THEMSELVES......Pete spent TENS of THOUSANDS from donated funds from his first SuperPac---less than 10 percent was spent on what he said he was going to spend it on.....HUFFPOST did a story on it....PROOF in LINK...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 27, 2021 5:37 AM

Fat Chasten spent 5 months teaching at a WHITE Elementary School---and PETE got him the job....And now HE thinks he can teach at a College?.....Where?.....The Univerity of Hooterville HouseHusbands?.....Video of Chasten in College. Fat. Slob. Balding. Surely some idiot school is looking for a College Professor with ONLY name recognition....LoL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 27, 2021 5:41 AM

I know it’s petty, but Pete lost some of his luster when I found out how short he is…like 5’7” or 5’8”. Chasten appears to be an inch or two even shorter.

by Anonymousreply 83July 27, 2021 5:44 AM

"I cannot wait to get back to my students" = Chasten (in 2019).....Hasn't worked since. THIS is why I hate Lady Chasten and Queeny Pete = they lie to your face. And the "adoption" Lie....Is their Sperm "Tainted"---why no Bio Kids?...Nobody is having a kid in a one bedroom apartment with 2 dogs....Sounds like Chazzy came up with an ADOPTION BOOK he will be peddling next. It will be the "hearbreaking" story of an old queen and his decade younger husbandwife unable to adopt....Wait and See....

by Anonymousreply 84July 27, 2021 5:45 AM

R81, Huffington Post was shlling for Elizabeth Warren at that time.

by Anonymousreply 85July 27, 2021 5:46 AM

Pete (April 19,2019) = We are "having a baby SOON"........They also talked about surrogacy and NOW they are LYING about adopting?.....They literally do nothing but lie. The only truth Chasten has told is about getting fat..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 27, 2021 5:53 AM

R85 = Is the NEW YORK TIMES lying too?....What part was of the story was wrong about Pete spending 90 PERCENT of donations---on PETE?.........I noticed Pete didn't SUE....Because the article was spot on....That's pretty greedy to ask for donations and then spend 90 percent on YOURSELF........LoL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 27, 2021 5:58 AM

R87, They shilled for Elizabeth Warren too. The avalanche of negative and misleading articles came after he passed her in the Iowa polls.

They literally covered warrens tracks and it’s well documented .

by Anonymousreply 88July 27, 2021 6:14 AM

I watched a few videos of ChasTen. I'm sorry but are you saying Pete couldn't do better than this?

This is not going to last.

by Anonymousreply 89July 27, 2021 6:21 AM

The trolls are out in force in this thread. Having finally read the actual article (thanks to the poster who copied and pasted), it seems like a sincere attempt to show the challenges of an outsider finding a place in a new setting: the biggest challenge being that absolutely everyone who comes into contact with Chasten [italic]will have [/italic] an agenda. You can count on that.

There is no cry for help. He is just being honest.

by Anonymousreply 90July 27, 2021 6:31 AM

[quote] All of this weekend Ironman stuff is very basic bitch.

[quote] Chasten talks about going to a lobbyist gym

He goes to the gym and does Ironman? Who does this fat bitch think she’s fooling?

by Anonymousreply 91July 27, 2021 6:58 AM

Pete knows deep down that if he whores it up too much he will never attain higher office. Americans will be proud of a straight guy banging a different woman each night but they will recoil in horror at the idea of a gay man being slutty. Petey's frau fanbase buys all the BS about him being just a Midwestern guy next door who happens to be gay and has a loving husband. If he dumps Chasten and hooks up with someone else the frauen will loathe him.

by Anonymousreply 92July 27, 2021 7:06 AM

Cmon Pete! Give chasten a baby!

by Anonymousreply 93July 27, 2021 7:17 AM

Why would they do surrogacy? Then the baby won’t be theirs biologically. Maybe they want a natural birth and time to bond with the baby while it’s developing.

They met in Chicago? I thought both were from a South Bend?

by Anonymousreply 95July 27, 2021 7:52 AM

Chasten's pregnancy or surrogacy, it doesn't matter. He needs a baby!

by Anonymousreply 96July 27, 2021 7:56 AM

I cannot lie. I find chasten hot.

by Anonymousreply 97July 27, 2021 8:04 AM

I wonder if he's for sale?

by Anonymousreply 98July 27, 2021 8:08 AM

R23, Some people would call it indoctrination.

by Anonymousreply 99July 27, 2021 8:39 AM

If he does get a job at Chipotle’s, he needs to stay the hell away from the guac and chips or he’ll be taking another trip to Nordstrom’s!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 27, 2021 8:42 AM

Is WaPo turning into the Daily Mail? The writer shades Chasten while pretending to fawn over him, just like DM.

Finding out Chasten is friends with Charles Clymer is disturbing (I've never followed Chasten, so this was news to me). Makes me think less of him and by extension, Pete.

It does sound like Pete is over Chasten, and has no intention of having a child with him. The one-bedroom apartment when he could afford a 2 bedroom or bigger, the fact that surrogacy apparently hasn't even been discussed, spending his weekends training for an Ironman competition rather than with his husband, who's clearly having a lot of trouble adjusting to his new life. And they've only been married for three years.

by Anonymousreply 101July 27, 2021 9:23 AM

As some old queen once said to me "He comes from hunger."

by Anonymousreply 102July 27, 2021 9:24 AM

r95 Chasten was in Chicago, appearing at the baths and taking on all comers when he met Pete. 15-20 guys a night and they say Chasten didn't lose his powerful jack-hammer erection for even ten seconds. Like a lot of men on the circuit, Pete had heard about Chasten's reputation in the South Bend baths and he wanted to know for sure. Once Chasten made ground beef out of Pete's ass and then pushed him aside so he could move on to his next friend of the evening, Pete was hooked forever.

by Anonymousreply 103July 27, 2021 12:26 PM

Aren’t there some desperately poor little colored children that he could get a job teaching? They’re all over Washington DC.

by Anonymousreply 104July 27, 2021 1:16 PM

Well he should fire his publicist after that disaster. It reads like a Sally Quinn profile of Hillary Clinton. Meow.

by Anonymousreply 105July 27, 2021 1:19 PM

The reality is its not like Chasten has some long resume as a teacher. He only actually worked as a teacher for a matter of MONTHS before he quit for the campaign.

As much as he has been publicly identified, he was barely a teacher professional.

by Anonymousreply 106July 27, 2021 1:19 PM

[quote] If he dumps Chasten and hooks up with someone else the frauen will loathe him.

But not if Chasten leaves Pete. That's what this WaPo story was laying the ground work for. Chasten couldn't cope with DC life so he had to leave, Pete is heartbroken but will carry on.

by Anonymousreply 107July 27, 2021 1:35 PM

This from Warren, too, R88?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 27, 2021 1:40 PM

Why did he not study some Science or Technology subject? I don't understand Americans. Arts is a hobby, to be pursued once one has a good job.

by Anonymousreply 109July 27, 2021 1:52 PM

r107 Pete will be more than heartbroken if Chasten dumps him. He'll need three men a night to do what Chasten could do!

by Anonymousreply 110July 27, 2021 1:53 PM

WaPo does puff pieces like this all the time and not just on newbies to DC. There was a long, ill-timed piece on Debbi Birx that cam out just as she was beginning to crater last year.

To a DCer, they both come-off badly----they are paying twice the going rent for a 1 bedroom and easily could have gone into a more anonymous neighborhood, like those in the gay/grays corridor along Connecticut Avenue. Of course people try to exploit proximity--they do it everywhere, but esp. in DC. Chasten comes off as a bit of a naif in his book, but he also seems quite resourceful and managed to live in a big city before (Chicago). He does have a master's degree, albeit in education but he probably could teach in child life or early education programs in a community college. He also could teach in DC or a suburban district, not to mention the many private and charter schools that will take people with all kinds of credentials.

Pete needs the domestic picture for his quest for higher office and Chasten comes off as no threat to him, but may be a little too needy. The lack of threat is probably part of the attraction---Pete probably is happy to have him give interviews, write books, etc. as long as it helps or doesn't hurt his image. Pete is the kind of guy who began plotting his presidential run in elementary school. DC is full of people like that. It's also full of trainer/lobbyists---there are people who have volunteer or marginal lobbying positions, as well as people who have "boutique" lobbying practices (their kitchen table), in addition to the pros at non-profits, trade associations, and law firms. I have a high school classmate who has been on the margins of lobbying for many years--she makes little or no money and isn't skilled enough to do it full time, but does it anyway---DC is full of people with failed dreams like that.

Pete will never be president. His campaign bio outs him as a little too superficial and uncompelling---he's like Bill Clinton without the charisma and deep in his bones politicking. He might wind up with a safe Congressional seat. If he can look domestic enough, perhaps he can win statewide office in Indiana. But he easily could windup on a bunch of boards and running a middling trade organization or centrist lobbying group.

by Anonymousreply 111July 27, 2021 1:59 PM

If Pete ever become president it will be in his later years after a life of solid and useful service to the country. He will not have a lightweight like Chasten as his partner. Unless Chasten matures and maybe becomes a professor or something. Pete alone however would be seen more favorably. Sorry.

[quote] Finding out Chasten is friends with Charles Clymer is disturbing (I've never followed Chasten, so this was news to me). Makes me think less of him and by extension, Pete.

If these people don't have the judgment or smarts to see past the grifting malevolence of a Clymer then they are cancelled to me. They are virtue signaling with Clymer. Just like too much of the Democratic Party.

by Anonymousreply 112July 27, 2021 5:48 PM

Chasten is not a lightweight!

by Anonymousreply 113July 27, 2021 8:12 PM

Mentally lightweight and physically heavyweight is the upper Michigan norm.

by Anonymousreply 114July 27, 2021 8:29 PM

[quote]Pete probably is happy to have him give interviews, write books, etc. as long as it helps or doesn't hurt his image

Well, Chasten's fucked up already then

by Anonymousreply 115July 27, 2021 9:01 PM

SOMEBODY needs to get shipped back to Michigan - where he can be the local Corky St. Clair.

by Anonymousreply 116July 27, 2021 9:43 PM

Someone needs to take all this real talk over to the Markle threads, so brutal in here.

by Anonymousreply 117July 27, 2021 11:23 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 28, 2021 12:55 AM

Jesus, his brother's name is Ryhan? Ryhan and Chasten? and his parents are Sherri and Terry?

by Anonymousreply 119July 28, 2021 1:08 AM

I had the same reaction when I clicked that link r119.

Rhyan? RHYHAN?! Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 120July 28, 2021 1:10 AM

It's Rhyan, but same idea. This asshole always pipes up when there's any news about his brother and brother-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 121July 28, 2021 1:11 AM

I’m not particularly close to my siblings, but I’m 100% confident they wouldn’t trash me if I became a public figure. I’ll never understand trash like Rhyan.

by Anonymousreply 122July 28, 2021 1:14 AM

Rhyan is the Thomas Markle of the House of Buttigieg!

by Anonymousreply 123July 28, 2021 1:14 AM

[quote] Chasten's MAGA brother is publicly trashing him again.

Why is The Daily Mail interviewing Chasten's brother? Who cares what that dumbfuck pastor thinks? Rhyan hates the fact that Pete and Chasten are making money and living in D.C. while he's just a dumbfuck pastor in rural Michigan. It seems that he's trying to make a career out of bashing his brother. And The Daily Mail is happily giving him a forum to do just that. The article is just a hit piece on Pete and Chasten, all from the perspective of a jealous and hateful brother who thinks all gay people are evil.

by Anonymousreply 124July 28, 2021 1:16 AM

R121 R122 Their mother is a loud Buttigieg supporter who has "Always Team Chasten and Pete" in her Twitter bio, so Rhyan must be pissed as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 28, 2021 1:18 AM

[Quote]Why is The Daily Mail interviewing Chasten's brother?

Welcome to life as a public figure r124. If you are the type of person to get profiles in the WaPo, then if your family is talking trash about you that is also news.

Fame, you take the good with the bad.

by Anonymousreply 126July 28, 2021 1:20 AM

[quote] Welcome to life as a public figure [R124].

Oh, please. I know that when you're a public figure, people will take shots at you, and it comes with the territory. But The Daily Mail wasn't just "reporting what his brother said." They actually set up an interview with Rhyan and then touted it as an "exclusive" as if they had scored some great political scoop. The whole story is just a hit piece against Pete and Chasten, told from the perspective of Rhyan.

And it's not news because everyone already knows that Rhyan has been trashing Pete and Chasten ever since Pete was running for president. Rhyan even created a Twitter account just so he could attack them. There's nothing new here. Rhyan has made it clear that he thinks Chasten and Pete are perverts who will burn in hell for being gay. Interviewing him for his perspective would be like interviewing a Klansman for his thoughts about Barack Obama.

by Anonymousreply 127July 28, 2021 1:30 AM

r124 Ryhan has been embarrassed by his brother ever since he started to notice that many family men in his congregation had trouble sitting down in church one Sunday morning. When he asked several of these men after Services what the reason for this was, they told him that the night before they had all been to one of the many bathhouses in South Bend where they encountered Chasten, stalking the locker room and the weight room and the underground swimming pool, with only a towel wrapped around his waist and a gaze that frightened some of the more timid men, looking for those curious to know Man at his most animal.

He destroyed them all that night. Ryhan couldn't bear to think about it. His own brother!

by Anonymousreply 128July 28, 2021 2:27 AM

No offense but when you "Like" every Chasten post and brown nose him on IG---should you really be expecting to be taken seriously when you are interviewing him? Pete and Chasten are spending money on Publicists---DONOR money. When you see Pete Donors and Pete Supporters doing flattering stories you see WHY Pete and Chasten picked those reporters.

by Anonymousreply 129July 28, 2021 2:52 AM

My name is Chasten. I don't work. I went from living in the whitest neighborhood in South Bend to living in Leelanau County, one of the whitest counties in Michigan. But I spend most of my unemployment in my one bedroom White Neighborhood. But I love black people. Honestly. It's just a "coincidence" that I would never live close to one. Vote Peter 2024!!!

by Anonymousreply 130July 28, 2021 3:00 AM

I'm struggling (not really; I'm not that invested) to think of another spouse of a Cabinet member who would be followed to the mall, Target, etc whilst spilling their guts to a lifestyle reporter eager to put all this white bread malaise in print. As another poster stated above, Britney has a plethora more media training than poor, pitiful Chasten. For it to be printable news that your pants were too tight for a tailor to take out, that you couldn't return a piece of clothing at Banana Republic, and--AND--that you found a gift bag with a dog on it at Target to delight your husband. Come the fuck on...this is all just pathetic. The piece should've been killed before it was printed.

by Anonymousreply 131July 28, 2021 3:09 AM

R131 = The reporter is a friend of Chastens. She is always interacting with Chazzy on IG and brownnosing him. She "forgot" to mention that in the story.

by Anonymousreply 132July 28, 2021 4:35 AM

With friends who write like that, who needs enemies?

by Anonymousreply 133July 28, 2021 6:26 AM

I don't like this article. Why is Chasten acting like such s femme rube? He seems unhappy and is being very passive aggressive. He was a huge asset to Pete when he was campaigning. I hope it works out for them. This was not a flattering article - it feels a bit like a hit piece. It's still OK to make fun of the gay white man.

by Anonymousreply 134July 28, 2021 7:07 AM

Bless his heart.

He looks better with a mask on.

Next up? A Girdle.

by Anonymousreply 135July 28, 2021 7:26 AM

I don't think the writer of the WaPo piece is really a friend of Chasten's. She sucked up to him on social media to gain his (misplaced) trust and secure the gig. There's no way a true friend would write such an unflattering profile. Any writer with their salt would know that the whole "we can't afford nothing but a 1 bedroom apartment in this here fancy city" thing would be seized upon and mocked. Especially since she also mentioned their other home in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 136July 28, 2021 8:42 AM

[quote] Jesus, his brother's name is Ryhan? Ryhan and Chasten? and his parents are Sherri and Terry?

Wait, his parents are the twins from The Simpsons?

by Anonymousreply 137July 28, 2021 9:10 AM

R112, are they (is Chasten) really friends with Clymer? Obviously an attempt at virtue signaling but it's a mistake. Clymer is a grifter among grifters. She's abusive to women and can't even hold down a job at LGBTQ advocacy organizations.

by Anonymousreply 138July 28, 2021 9:42 AM

What does Clymer do for money is he doesn’t have a job?

by Anonymousreply 139July 28, 2021 10:13 AM

I just read the article and Chasten comes across as whiny, naive, and bored.

I doubt this was sanctioned by his husband's office. It reads more as if he's desperately unhappy and trying to get Pete's attention with it, like a cry for help or something.

If that wasn't the intent, then Chasten needs a lot more training as to what he should be saying to a reporter. He doesn't come across well, or confident, in the piece.

The pending baby seems like an attempt by Pete to give Chasten something to do all day than it does anything else. Why would they be adopting a child if half of the team is completely adrift?

by Anonymousreply 140July 28, 2021 10:15 AM

R134 i think it's a stretch to claim that "it's still ok to make fun of the white gay man". He gave the interview, he said those things to the reporter. Part of the article is even about how Chasten has realized he can't trust anyone's motives are genuine in the Big City (which as a subtext, includes the reporter).

It doesn't seem homophpbic at all, he just doesn't look good in it.

by Anonymousreply 141July 28, 2021 10:20 AM

R130's idiotic post makes as much sense as "it's still OK to make fun of a white gay man". Please.

by Anonymousreply 142July 28, 2021 10:22 AM

Is that Caleb or Alex from Shriner’s Children Hospital in the center at R82?

by Anonymousreply 143July 28, 2021 10:24 AM

R129's post is also stupid and it's clear he didn't read the piece (and doesn't have a Washington Post sub). Like, pick a thing to be faux outraged about. It wasn't a flattering piece and it's clear you have some agenda and dislike for them since you are grasping and incorrect, to boot.

The "brown nosing" statement is also dumb - interacting with someone on social media isn't unusual for a fluff reporter. They all do it now. Doesn't make it "brown nosing".

by Anonymousreply 144July 28, 2021 10:27 AM

R109 you sound German.

by Anonymousreply 145July 28, 2021 10:34 AM

R138 The writer of the WaPo piece quotes Clymer about Chasten and refers to him as a friend.

by Anonymousreply 146July 28, 2021 10:44 AM

[quote] His excuse for not getting a new teaching job because he's too much of a "high-profile person" is beyond laughable.

Paging Dr. Biden from her classroom at Northern Virginia Community College...

by Anonymousreply 147July 28, 2021 11:07 AM

Pathetic. I wonder how much they’re spending on PR?

by Anonymousreply 148July 28, 2021 1:42 PM

Pete is a Type-A striver. I wonder if he kicks himself for settling on a lazy intellectual lightweight.

by Anonymousreply 149July 28, 2021 2:38 PM

Sounds like divorce is imminent.

by Anonymousreply 150July 28, 2021 4:16 PM

Pete doesn't want to be in a relationship where he has an equal. Chasten is like an old fashioned political "wife"--no threat intellectually or politically. Has a degree and something resembling a career (or potential career) but will never overshadow the "husband".

by Anonymousreply 151July 28, 2021 4:23 PM

Like many hetero couples before them, that's why kids can be helpful.

Then Chasten can be kept happy and occupied by kid, while Pete can focus on his career.

by Anonymousreply 152July 28, 2021 4:30 PM

He's complaining through the entire article that things aren't exactly the way they were for him in Bumfuck, Indiana.

That burned any and every bridge or piece of goodwill anyone had for him/them. They'll make him jump through hoops now. If his fat ass could even clear a hoop.

by Anonymousreply 153July 28, 2021 4:32 PM

Considering that Pete is busy almost 24/7 with work and that his few free hours are spent on Ironman prep, I can't imagine how he'll be a present dad. Chasten will be the child caretaker with Pete seeing the children on holidays and birthdays. Very old-fashioned husband/wife dynamic from the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 154July 28, 2021 4:44 PM

[quote]Pete is a Type-A striver. I wonder if he kicks himself for settling on a lazy intellectual lightweight.

For someone like Pete, a relationship is another box to be ticked in his career/life.

by Anonymousreply 155July 28, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote] Then Chasten can be kept happy and occupied by kid

Is this guy someone who should be raising a kid? I don't care that there are other dubious parents out there, he still seems ill equipped emotionally to raise a child.

by Anonymousreply 156July 28, 2021 7:21 PM

Chasten probably likes his drinky poo. One reason he's so fat. I don't think he can be trusted with children that need tending as he's probably flat on his face by noon.

by Anonymousreply 157July 28, 2021 7:54 PM

“We were just two people who fell in love, got married, with two careers, and that's what we were just focused on, on our relationship, the children in our family, and not so much on something like this,” he said. “But yeah, I am the first man to do it. And of course, only because we've elected the first female Vice President and my wife, Kamala Harris, but I'm approaching it the way I approach anything. I'm doing a lot of work. I’m redoing a lot of research. I’m doing a lot of preparation and just making sure that whatever I'm doing, I'm getting the word out there in the right way.”

Emhoff emphasized that his role is purely supportive, not advisory. Michele Swers, a professor of American government at Georgetown University, said it appears he’s trying not to overshadow Harris in any way, pointing to how Emhoff has also stopped working as an entertainment lawyer in Hollywood, a job where being aggressive and domineering are par for the course.

“You don't want to emphasize those elements of your personality, so instead, he's taken on the position of teaching a course at Georgetown Law School, which also, a teaching role is a more supportive role. You're supporting students in their learning, which is much different than being in the courtroom,” Swers said.

The women who have previously been second spouses and first ladies have chosen mostly non-controversial issues to champion. Emhoff is doing the same. A review of his official travels by Spectrum News showed he’s visited more than 20 states in six months to address items high on President Joe Biden’s agenda such as healthcare, hunger, and gender equity.

The difference though, Swers explained, is that the public has seen more of the second gentleman than other second spouses at this point in a new administration.

"I think definitely because of COVID-19, he’s out there more, doing a lot of travel, trying to encourage people to get vaccinated, trying to be seen, trying to promote the administration's position on the importance of people getting vaccinated," Swers said. "So as a second spouse, I would say that he probably is more active, and by virtue of being a first, he's getting more media attention than another second spouse might."

At an event this month in Washington, Emhoff visited a high school vaccination site and met with upbeat volunteers who have been spreading the word about vaccines. The biggest cheers came when he mentioned his wife.

“It is hard to believe that it has been about six months since the Biden-Harris administration came into office,” Emhoff said while addressing the crowd. “I’m talking about my friend President Joe Biden, and I’m also talking about my wife Vice President Kamala Harris. She is a good one. I love her, and I know you do too.”

As Emhoff blazes his way forward, he has a message for men and women.

"To men, I've been saying this repeatedly, men need to step up and make sure that we are doing everything we can to support those that we love," he said. "And not just to do it without showing it, but to actually show it. And it's OK, it's manly, to show those folks that you care about that, you care about them, but do it. Do things that actually are supportive. And to women out there, we need more women in leadership, more women in business and politics and all over the place. And we need those who love them, to love them and support them so they can do that. My role moving forward is what I've been doing, doing everything I can to support my wife in her role as the first female vice president and support the administration, and I'm going to do whatever I can to help."

Emhoff added that his role model for this new title is Dr. Jill Biden,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 28, 2021 8:14 PM

Quite the contrast, R158.

by Anonymousreply 159July 28, 2021 8:16 PM

Well, Emhoff has a lot more life experience. And probably more native intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 160July 28, 2021 8:23 PM

[quote] Well, Emhoff has a lot more life experience.

This.

IIRC, his son, Cole Emhoff, is about 26. Chasten is 31.

by Anonymousreply 161July 28, 2021 8:28 PM

Emhoff does seem unusually not-obnoxious for an entertainment lawyer. He must be a good actor. Does Kamala have veneers?

by Anonymousreply 162July 28, 2021 8:34 PM

Chasten fancies himself the Mamie Eisenhower type.

by Anonymousreply 163July 28, 2021 10:47 PM

He’s no Oatsie Charles or Evangeline Bruce!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 29, 2021 12:48 AM

We are BROKE but we want to adopt = The "wisdom" of Pete and Chasten. Where is the money going?...........This needs to be investigated. Something is really wrong here. Someone needs to investigate how two adult men are whining about being broke with a 221,000 income.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 29, 2021 3:26 AM

R165 That’s such a bullshit story.

by Anonymousreply 166July 29, 2021 3:37 AM

All Chasten was a saying is even at their high salary given DC rent prices it doesn't go as far as you think r165. Its life on the east coast rather than flyover country.

by Anonymousreply 167July 29, 2021 3:40 AM

R167 You can afford to rent more than 1 bedroom on a household income of over $200k. Notice how Chasten is rushing to get a job if finances are tight

by Anonymousreply 168July 29, 2021 3:42 AM

All the money goes to PR firms judging by the way they stay in the media

by Anonymousreply 169July 29, 2021 3:43 AM

Maybe the ALL WHITE neighborhoods are more expensive for Pete and Chasten?.....Why not live in an urban neighborhood?....There are affordable houses in black neighborhoods..Just saying......The bigger question is WHERE is the MONEY......Taxpayers have a right to know and something smells fishy here....

by Anonymousreply 170July 29, 2021 3:45 AM

As someone who has lived in DC forever and in one of the most expensive neighborhoods, they are full of shit. They must fritter all their money away like on designer masks or something.

by Anonymousreply 171July 29, 2021 4:20 AM

Chasten has to keep himself in shape, so when Pete is at work late at night, that's when Chasten hits the DC baths, still taking on all comers. He's already in contention for the title of DC's Top Top.

by Anonymousreply 172July 29, 2021 4:26 AM

R170 oh fuck off, you tiresome troll.

by Anonymousreply 173July 29, 2021 4:28 AM

Imagine if Pete won the presidency, andChasten was first person. If he can’t handle being the spouse of a cabinet member, it would have been worse in the WH. Jackie O was only 31 when JFK was inaugurated. And she had to get by without social media. Chasten — see a therapist. You obviously need it.

by Anonymousreply 174July 29, 2021 4:56 AM

Don't forget Chasten tried to get a Twitter Feud going with a GOP nobody running for office---because he was "offended" (LINK)......Chasten needs to get his lies straight---->>He is trying to have a child but TOO BROKE for a 2 bedroom?...Which is it?....Because nobody is giving you a baby when you publicly claim poverty---is he too stupid to know that?....Can Chazzy even keep his stories straight?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175July 29, 2021 6:22 AM

Hello--Adoption Agency?.....My name is Chasten and I can't afford anything bigger than an 800FT apartment. And I have 2 dogs. And I have no job but I did teach kids for 4 whole months about 3 years ago..I would like you to deliver my adoption baby over to my place because I am clearly Parenthood material. ..((((click)))).....Hello?....Adoption Agency?....Did you hang up?.......LoL

by Anonymousreply 176July 29, 2021 6:31 AM

I'm feeling a bit nervous for Chasten. Especially after Pete posted that thirst trap Daddy photo with his tongue lasciviously out. Chasten, your in danger girl, your dead weight. Your swimming with the sharks now, show no fear and lose the weight. This is not Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 177July 29, 2021 6:38 AM

Do they have to live in DC proper? Can't they rent in Maryland or Northern Virginia in a more affordable suburb? A childless couple, making over $200k, choosing to have only one partner work, choosing to live in expensive neighborhoods and then whining about only having a one bedroom apartment is remarkably tone deaf and entitled, especially right now when many people are struggling due to the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 178July 29, 2021 6:54 AM

DC is not even that expensive compared to LA, NYC, or SF.

by Anonymousreply 179July 29, 2021 6:59 AM

[quote] Chasten has talked openly about his and Pete Buttigieg's "heartbreaking" attempts to adopt

Heartbreaking attempts? What happened? Do they keep getting rejected? What is the problem?

by Anonymousreply 180July 29, 2021 7:58 AM

[quote] two adult men are whining about being broke with a 221,000 income.

How much do they each contribute to this $221,000? Is it an even split? 60/40? 70/30?

by Anonymousreply 181July 29, 2021 8:00 AM

R180 = The Adoption Agency keeps asking them why they are broke on a 221,000 dollar income.......Queeny Petey and Lady Chasten are such liars...ZILCH proof of any "adoption". Remember they also said they were doing surrogacy---3 years ago...Pete is not raising a child of color. Look at Pete...Never gonna happen. I don't believe this adoption bs for one second. Why LIE?....

by Anonymousreply 182July 29, 2021 8:03 AM

It sounds like 100/0 as Chasten is not working, R181.

by Anonymousreply 183July 29, 2021 8:26 AM

[quote] Chasten, your in danger girl, your dead weight. Your swimming with the sharks now, show no fear and lose the weight.

I never "oh dear," but Christ almighty.

You are = you're. Not "your."

It's not rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 184July 29, 2021 11:05 AM

Will these two publicity whores be setting up a GoFundMe soon to help them upgrade to a larger apartment?

by Anonymousreply 185July 29, 2021 12:56 PM

They're paying twice the going rate for a 1 bedroom. They easily could afford a 2 bedroom that could provide nursery for a child.

by Anonymousreply 186July 29, 2021 1:06 PM

Chasten can get a doctor of education so he can be Dr. Chasten Buttigieg, community college ESL teacher, when he becomes First Gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 187July 29, 2021 1:08 PM

IT IS LEGIT!

by Anonymousreply 188July 29, 2021 1:10 PM

R177 It was Chasten himself who posted that pic. Pete would never post such a thing in his own social media.

by Anonymousreply 189July 29, 2021 1:16 PM

They're paying way over the market rate for being in DC and for a Cabinet secretary, it makes sense to be close to work. Beyond that, inner suburbs (the only ones they probably would consider) have gotten less affordable and the commute could easily eat into productive time, esp. on the Maryland side.

by Anonymousreply 190July 29, 2021 1:16 PM

he needs a chat with patti labelle

by Anonymousreply 191July 29, 2021 1:27 PM

[quote] It sounds like 100/0 as Chasten is not working

99.999/.001. You forgot Chasten's book sales..

by Anonymousreply 192July 29, 2021 1:46 PM

Chasten's Grindr profile pic is a photo of him wagging his tongue.

by Anonymousreply 193July 29, 2021 1:54 PM

It seems like someone has lead him to believe he and Pete are way more important than they are. No one will care what job he has.

by Anonymousreply 194July 29, 2021 3:27 PM

As Joan Didion pointed out decades ago, writers are always trying to sell somebody out. I guess Chasten didn't get the memo and thought he'd finally met a new DC friend who shared his love of TV and the mall.

by Anonymousreply 195July 29, 2021 4:19 PM

[quote] How much do they each contribute to this $221,000

That is Pete's salary as Secretary of Transportation. He makes more than members of Congress.

by Anonymousreply 196July 29, 2021 5:55 PM

[quote] It sounds like 100/0 as Chasten is not working, [R181].

WTF? This is why I’m not married. I could never just have someone sucking my teat while doing nothing. No free rides, you’re not my children.

by Anonymousreply 197July 29, 2021 6:08 PM

Buttiboy is an Ivy educated wunderkind and Cabinet member. He has an image. He will need very high quality clothes and accessories in his wardrobe, just for starters.

by Anonymousreply 198July 29, 2021 6:39 PM

Hes a Cabinet secretary, he probably has a car and driver. Location doesn't matter, he can work during the commute, and he obviously has no social life after work, shackled to that awful Chasten. They should just move to northern VA.

by Anonymousreply 199July 29, 2021 8:40 PM

Being stuck in traffic for a morning meeting--not productive. The need to cross a bridge (many of which have had construction recently) really negates any advantage to living in Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 200July 29, 2021 8:45 PM

A transportation secretary actually having to do a proper and realistic commute isn't a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 201July 29, 2021 8:48 PM

The only advantage I saw, R200, was in hiding Chastened from DC society.

by Anonymousreply 202July 29, 2021 9:10 PM

Maryland is a very blue state. If he moved there he could run for office. Virginia is now purple partly due to all the gay boys living in Alexandria and Arlington. A bit riskier move for future elected office but not entirely impossible.

by Anonymousreply 203July 29, 2021 9:39 PM

Maryland is too Black a state for the Buttigiegs, R203.

by Anonymousreply 204July 29, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote] Virginia is now purple partly due to all the gay boys living in Alexandria and Arlington.

Lol. I don't think that the gays are the reason it turned blue. A lot of those DC gay boys are conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 205July 29, 2021 9:46 PM

[quote]99.999/.001. You forgot Chasten's book sales.

A memoir by a 32-year-old with no notable accomplishments. The audience for it must have been huge.

by Anonymousreply 206July 29, 2021 9:49 PM

Most of their money clearly goes into PR

by Anonymousreply 207July 29, 2021 9:50 PM

There are very few Republicans in DC r205. That is what led to all those countless articles about the Trump staffers complaining they were social pariahs.

by Anonymousreply 208July 29, 2021 9:52 PM

If you’re worried about criticism, sometimes a diet is the best defense

by Anonymousreply 209July 29, 2021 9:52 PM

The DL Pete Lovers have been wrong about Pete and Chasten since day one..Remember when DL declared they were going to DC and become Social Media Mavens and throw parties for the DC Elite? As if two Hillbillies know how to throw a party. Never Happened. DL declared the Buttigiegs were going to become model gay parents. Wrong Again.. They flipped from their Surrogate Lie to their Adoption Lie to explain away not having kids. And publicly declaring you cannot afford rent ended that charade for good. DL said Chasten was going to become "Gay Teacher of the Year"!! The Chastens Lazy, Slobby, Unemployment ended that charade.

by Anonymousreply 210July 29, 2021 11:02 PM

Why haven’t they fell pregnant yet? Is there someone wrong with Pete’s sperm? Is he shooting blanks or is Chasten barren?

by Anonymousreply 211July 29, 2021 11:09 PM

Chasten loves social media. He needs a baby so he can become an "influencer" of sorts. He could probably obtain everything they'd need to raise a child via sponsorships. And it would give him income, not to mention something to do.

Btw, why doesn't he try to organize a community theater for at risk youth in DC? He could start a foundation to fund it, and even have franchises in other poor areas of the country.. There are so many cool things he could do with his education/drama background? His problem is that he's lazy and spoiled. Pete has ruined him.

by Anonymousreply 212July 30, 2021 4:43 AM

He can’t be an influencer. That would reflect badly on Pete. Could you imagine? “I lost 20 pounds on this diet tea and I wasn’t even hungry. And best of all it’s vegan and gluten-free. Get 20% off with code CHASTEN20!

by Anonymousreply 213July 30, 2021 5:09 AM

R213 = Hilarious....I think you have a point..The reason Pete isn't telling Chasten to get a job is because he is afraid Chasten WILL get one and it will be exactly what you said. Chasten selling OmegaXL while on a Peloton can't be far behind.

by Anonymousreply 214July 30, 2021 5:15 AM

I wonder if Chasten was made to sign a NDA as part of their pre-nup. I feel Pete would be worried about dumping him or divorcing him if there's no NDA in place. He wouldn't want a tell-all from a scorned Chasten revealing how they actually met, Pete's roving eye, his temper and other salacious details that would endanger the support from his frau fan base.

by Anonymousreply 215July 30, 2021 7:12 AM

He doesn't look that fat to me in OP. Dataloungers are fatty-fattier.

by Anonymousreply 216July 30, 2021 7:39 AM

R189 — I’m sure Chasten didn’t post that pic without Pete’s prior permission. Just like the one where he’s shirtless, but with a towel draped around him. Forget about a kid in the one bedroom apt, that’s rough on those two dogs. Chasten, wants, likes, and needs attention. If he can’t get it, he’ll get it using Pete. I bet Chasten screams like Dustin Lance Black.

by Anonymousreply 217July 30, 2021 8:01 AM

Somewhat plump bottoms are the best fucks.

by Anonymousreply 218July 30, 2021 9:01 AM

Pete and Chasten are what happens when to boring bottoms marry. Look at these two. Nothing hot going on in their bedroom. If anyone thinks prissy Pete is sticking his dick in a dirty asshole you are out of your mind. And if Pete wanted a dick in him you know he would have went for a masculine fuck to marry. Nothing ends a marriage faster than bad sex and money problems and these two seem to have both.

by Anonymousreply 219July 30, 2021 9:13 AM

Its huge! Pete's got his amazing infrastructure budget! He's gonna move up the Washington pecking order.

by Anonymousreply 220July 30, 2021 9:18 AM

Pete seems like the kind of guy who will eventually hit the glass ceiling in DC, go back to his tiny Midwestern flyoverstan town and bore people for the rest of his life with endless "During my time with the administration in Washington DC..." tales.

by Anonymousreply 221July 30, 2021 9:32 AM

R220 Chasten must've gotten pounded good that night. I wonder if their dogs got fed.

by Anonymousreply 222July 30, 2021 10:12 AM

He's only 32? Yikes

by Anonymousreply 223July 30, 2021 10:24 AM

I like Pete but... Chasten took Pete's last name and Pete approved? That's weird. I know of no gay couple where one takes the other's last name. What's the story there?

by Anonymousreply 224July 30, 2021 10:55 AM

The story is heteronorms, R224.

by Anonymousreply 225July 30, 2021 2:05 PM

R224 well, if YOU'VE never known a couple where that was the situation, then it must surely not exist!

by Anonymousreply 226July 30, 2021 2:45 PM

R221 really, how many of these imaginary people have you known in real life?

by Anonymousreply 227July 30, 2021 2:46 PM

I like petey

by Anonymousreply 228July 30, 2021 2:47 PM

Why can't like Chasten go like trans or whatever, become like, you know, a proper couple, like get pregnant the old fashion way and like, you know, carry Pete's baby or whatever? Adoption is like so lazy, know what I mean? God bless! Jesus loves you.

by Anonymousreply 229July 30, 2021 2:47 PM

Is this the ruthless Pete RP machine at work

by Anonymousreply 230July 30, 2021 2:51 PM

They left out of that Washington Post article that Chasten will be appearing all next week at a truckstop outside of DC, taking on all comers as usual. He just cums in them, spits on them, then shoves them aside to ruin the next presented hole with his massive, jack-hammer cock.

And he still has more than enough for Pete when he gets home!

by Anonymousreply 231July 30, 2021 4:26 PM

I'm Chasten Buttigeig and I support this thread.

by Anonymousreply 232July 30, 2021 8:49 PM

I'm Chastened Butter-Egg

by Anonymousreply 233July 30, 2021 9:33 PM

I can see Chasten wanting to dress up their kids for pictures like Neil Patrick Harris does with his Halloween photos.

by Anonymousreply 234July 31, 2021 5:04 AM

R234 Jesus Christ, every parent does that.

by Anonymousreply 235July 31, 2021 4:01 PM

I can see Chasten being Monica Lewinsky's personal assistant.

by Anonymousreply 236July 31, 2021 7:06 PM

[quote] Hes a Cabinet secretary, he probably has a car and driver. Location doesn't matter, he can work during the commute,

That's true. But even if he wants to bike, Georgetown is only 2 miles away from DOT. Nothing in DC is that far away on a bike. I know judges who commute to the courthouse by bike from way uptown.

by Anonymousreply 237July 31, 2021 10:45 PM

Biking in downtown DC freaks me out. I've seen two accidents right in front of me, with one man in his 50s flipping over the back bumper of a truck that stopped suddenly and just a couple of weeks ago, I saw some idiot without a helmet hit a pothole while crossing K street and he went flying over his handlebars in the middle of the intersection at K and Connecticut.

I don't know what it is about this city, but biking and driving don't mix well here. I'd rather walk two miles through downtown than bike there. I do ride my bike farther northwest and feel perfectly safe.

by Anonymousreply 238July 31, 2021 10:51 PM

PETE posted a video of himself buy socks...Chasten is too lazy to even do that!!!....Video is Hillbilly Pete posting his sock buying on the Official Transportation Social Media page. These two really are hooterville hicks...Oh Petey---I don't think your 6 dollar purchase is what "supporting small businesses" is about. HILLBILLIES!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 31, 2021 11:10 PM

Do you think they own and wear matching caftans?

by Anonymousreply 240July 31, 2021 11:17 PM

R239 do you think chasten should be buying Pete's socks for him? Why?

by Anonymousreply 241July 31, 2021 11:19 PM

A straight wife would, R241.

by Anonymousreply 242August 1, 2021 2:01 AM

Love Pete rockin the Gym Jordan look in R239.

by Anonymousreply 243August 1, 2021 2:02 AM

R241 = Because Chasten has NO JOB...And he is too lazy to even buy Pete socks?.....What a slob Chasten is....Pete comes home from work and Chasten probably asks Pete what Pete is going to make for dinner!!....No wonder Pete is traveling without Chasten....LoL

by Anonymousreply 244August 1, 2021 2:04 AM

^ an obsessed troll who would probably feel at home in a Meghan Markle thread

by Anonymousreply 245August 1, 2021 2:26 AM

It's really appalling that a middle-aged man in his 30s has NO job or is not doing significant volunteer work, and just living off his husband's paycheck??

Being the spouse of a Secretary is not really a big deal. No, you're not a celebrity. You have no official role.

Get a JOB. Going around to DC bookstores and signing your book so they can't send it back to the publisher is NOT A JOB.

Pete is probably wishing he never married Chas. He could've run as a single, gay man (because let's face it, Chas did not contribute at all to the optics of his campaign). Then Pete could've gone to DC, met a man on his level (not a "teacher" who only teacher for a couple months before quitting) and then could've had a fairy-tale White House wedding and then have a spouse who understand his aspirations and supports him. I'm sure Chas just wants to discuss the latest Real Housewives episode or complain about putting on a couple pounds.

by Anonymousreply 246August 1, 2021 2:43 AM

R246 = Nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 247August 1, 2021 2:49 AM

R246 get real, Pete would have never become mayor in Hoosier country had he been single. And he couldn't have passed off a vapid twink or an artsy type as his mate, he needed someone doughy and basic and emotional to hook all the South Bend fraus. Pete's a cyborg as far as the local electorate was concerned--a Maltese Harvard and McKinsey alum who learned Norwegian for fun. He has only cared about being a big ol' donkey boy scout (to paraphrase Suzanne Sugarbaker), and the appearance of being in a monogamous marriage with an inoffensive nerd is part of that image.

by Anonymousreply 248August 1, 2021 3:24 AM

This is the type of guy Pete needs. Smart, hot, successful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249August 1, 2021 3:32 AM

My God, you guys don't keep up do you. Pete married Chasten after he was elected mayor and Chasten did the C-list events for the presidential campaign. Chasten had a variety of education jobs before he met Pete. he worked his way through school--he's actually pretty resourceful, but DC is all about stuff that is new to him. Pete most likely got involved with him because he poses no threat---Pete has been planning his run for the presidency since elementary school. DC is full of people like this. The last thing he wants is to be in a relationship with someone who has a better shot at making it happen or someone whose own ambitious career plans could be derailed by Pete's political ambitions (leading them to leave the relationship). If he wanted a doctor, he would have found one.

by Anonymousreply 250August 1, 2021 3:42 AM

Chasten is cute and cuddly and women love him. If Pete left him for a jaded Pines queen who shaves thirty years off his age and spends more time in the gym than the gym does, it will alienate everyone!!

by Anonymousreply 251August 1, 2021 4:56 AM

R248, Pete ran and won his first term as mayor of South 'Bend before he came out and while he was single.

by Anonymousreply 252August 1, 2021 5:18 AM

Some of you are so damaged, you can't comprehend romantic love, or being in love.

by Anonymousreply 253August 1, 2021 5:23 AM

r253 These bitter old queens can't believe that Pete might actually love Chasten.

by Anonymousreply 254August 1, 2021 5:42 AM

[quote]Pete most likely got involved with him because he poses no threat---Pete has been planning his run for the presidency since elementary school. DC is full of people like this. The last thing he wants is to be in a relationship with someone who has a better shot at making it happen or someone whose own ambitious career plans could be derailed by Pete's political ambitions (leading them to leave the relationship). If he wanted a doctor, he would have found one.

You're 100% right, R250, but people here refuse to accept it. Pete is obviously a very ambitious person; his marriage with Chasten wasn't some afterthought. He wanted an easily controllable average Midwestern guy to help him set up a image of domesticity. Look at this carefully created picture: "just a well-intentioned small-town guy, with his HS teacher husband and their dog."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255August 1, 2021 6:30 AM

Chasten is the perfect politician's wife. He just happens to have a penis.

by Anonymousreply 256August 1, 2021 6:34 AM

Little Pete planning world domination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257August 1, 2021 6:39 AM

r255 Chasten's face looks photoshopped on that pic.

by Anonymousreply 258August 1, 2021 6:44 AM

Being a househusband is a job! Ask any one of them.

by Anonymousreply 259August 1, 2021 7:01 AM

Chasten is what passes as a Trophy Husband in Hicksville Indiana. You Pete Lovers can drool all you want but nobody is looking at these two and thinking they are having a good sex life. Bad Sex will end this marriage. The only question is when. And you can believe Chazzy has too much time on his hands which is a recipe for a "whoopsie"....

by Anonymousreply 260August 1, 2021 7:09 AM

R192, really? How much money can Chasten make when only 5 people in the world bought his book?

by Anonymousreply 261August 1, 2021 7:43 AM

The no need for chasten to workout. That's for Pete as the top. Chasten is free to get a little fat, a little soft, so there's more cushion for the pushin'. He should be moisturized and clean and ready for his man, to submit to his sexual needs when he comes home.

by Anonymousreply 262August 1, 2021 7:54 AM

[quote] If Pete left him for a jaded Pines queen who shaves thirty years off his age and spends more time in the gym than the gym does, it will alienate everyone!!

That's true if Pete dumped him. That's why this is being slowly laid out so that it will be perceived as Chasten leaving Pete, returning home because the pressure of DC life was too much. This WaPo article is part of that groundwork.

by Anonymousreply 263August 1, 2021 3:54 PM

As a huge Pete fan, I don't see him having a huge political career after this or at least I don't see him as a star. I think he had a moment where he could have done something interesting during the primaries and harnessed his fan base to something else. I think the Biden presidency will be underwhelming and by the time Pete is done, he will have aged into a 40-something, moderate, boring white politician. Gay or not, there is nothing worse than being that in progressive politics.

The Chasten article was really embarrassing. I would have thought he would have some media training and a better understanding of how the game works by now.

by Anonymousreply 264August 1, 2021 4:12 PM

[quote] he's actually pretty resourceful, but DC is all about stuff that is new to him

Will you rubes stop acting like DC is Mars. The same principles that get you ahead elsewhere apply in DC. The same traits that make you connect with others apply in DC.

And please tell me what pressures he has as the spouse of a cabinet secretary? Please. Any sane adult should be able to handle it - you know nobody really cares about the spouses of cabinet members. He could opt out if he wanted, especially if work duties required it. He just sounds like a drama queen - or they are crafting his image that makes him seem that way whether they realize it or not.

by Anonymousreply 265August 1, 2021 5:21 PM

If you showed me a picture of Chasten and asked me to guess his age, I'd say 45.

by Anonymousreply 266August 1, 2021 6:10 PM

Frankly, I don't even know what a cabinet member does (I'm American) so I certainly am not worried about the pressures of cabinet member's spouse. If it weren't for Pete, I wouldn't even give it a second thought. I don't even know the name of Kamala's husband, The Second Husband (is that the title?).

Anyways, yes, I probably seem like a stupid American but know more than most out there (isn't that frightening). I am sure the rest of the US could give 2 fucks about Chasten's fame struggles, let alone even know who he is.

by Anonymousreply 267August 1, 2021 6:18 PM

I am confused. I thought we didn't say secretary no more and we was suppose to be callin' them administrative assistants. Is Mr Chasten married to the Administrative Assistant of Transportation or sumthin?

by Anonymousreply 268August 1, 2021 7:21 PM

DC is place where there is a sizable subset of people who think they are important or are clawing their way toward importance. This refers to the fitness trainer/lobbyist, who probably is a fitness trainer who is interning for a lobbyist or volunteering for some pitiful organization that tries to lobby. You meet people who drop trivial names (their father, the third party candidate for president a couple decades ago), seemingly nice polite people who vanish as soon as they see someone with more access/fame. It goes on and on. And then there are all the people related to someone/thing important like my one time neighbor whose father was an architect of the Vietnam war---not worth bringing up what a debacle that was.

You certainly can bump up against people with power or some degree of local celebrity elsewhere---I've known people like this in other cities (including Chicago where Chasten lived), but it's different in DC and for someone who is a political spouse, there going to be more of it than in a place like South Bend. And you'll encounter it in DC much more than in the suburbs. Anyone who lives in a middle class condo of any size has had some neighbor who was in Congress, got their name in the paper, etc. Currently, I have a neighbor who is a second string blogger much hated by most bloggers/followers on the Left. Not surpringly, he's a bit of a douche. They can be neighbors in residential areas---a colleague lives not far from Debbi Birx.

by Anonymousreply 269August 1, 2021 7:35 PM

I know 3 couples in my circle where one guy took the other guy's last name in marriage. All three are "colonialist" marriages of a Euro guy with a third world guy. The third world guys are fine and smart and educated but they wanted that last name. Just like they wanted a European husband. 2 of these were SURPRISES the mail order finance (as it were) announced it at the last minute having negotiated otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 270August 1, 2021 7:40 PM

You Queens who think Pete does anal is out of your mind. He looks like the guy who tried it once and never went back. He sure isn't sticking his dick in a "yucky poop shoop"...He does look like the guy who wants his partner to come on him though. But Anal?....No way....Look at him...It ain't happening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271August 2, 2021 12:44 AM

DC is Hollywood for the unattractive attention whores.

by Anonymousreply 272August 2, 2021 1:50 AM

It's smart to have a separate B city for a capital.

by Anonymousreply 273August 2, 2021 1:57 AM

The spouse of a Cabinet Secretary is not a big deal. They are normal people who could be next to you at the grocery store or at the gym. He is trying to trick people into thinking he's in some sort of Michelle Obama or Jill Biden role, both who IMMEDIATELY started working on projects when they got to DC.

by Anonymousreply 274August 2, 2021 4:46 PM

He's the cuntest cunt who ever cunted. He'll make a great First Lady.

by Anonymousreply 275August 2, 2021 5:15 PM

[quote] 2 of these were SURPRISES the mail order finance (as it were) announced it at the last minute having negotiated otherwise.

What do you mean "negotiated otherwise", R270? The Euro husband told the other guy not to take his last name but they did anyway?

by Anonymousreply 276August 2, 2021 5:39 PM

Whose sperm will they use for making a baby? Pete’s Harvard/Rhodes/McKinsey seed or Chasten’s obese/stupid semen?

by Anonymousreply 277August 2, 2021 5:52 PM

R277 read the damn articles that are linked! they are adopting, not going the surrogate route

by Anonymousreply 278August 2, 2021 8:35 PM

r277 Chasten's of course. They want a baby that middle America will take to its bosom, not one who will grow up to be Ronan Farrow.

by Anonymousreply 279August 2, 2021 10:04 PM

Chasten is posting Pete's thirst traps!! What does this mean?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280August 4, 2021 10:23 AM

It means Pete will be hit on by many DC gays. Chasten better be going to the gym twice a day.

by Anonymousreply 281August 4, 2021 11:12 PM

Castidade Buttigieg.

by Anonymousreply 282August 6, 2021 3:11 PM

He's so common. Pete could do a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 283August 6, 2021 3:12 PM

Pete the celebrity Cabinet member could do a lot better, I agree. Pete the everyday regular guy could not. Fortunately for Pete, he's is the former.

by Anonymousreply 284August 6, 2021 3:21 PM

R276 yes more or less. The the two couples had discussed all the aspects of their upcoming marriages. It was agreed to keep own names. So, wedding planing, lawyers, money spent, guests confined and arriving from abroad, etc etc. And then the imported groom announces he'd really like to take the Euro name. It is what it is. Years later the marriages are intact but as I said, the name change was announced as a last minute surprise. Yes in both cases the Euro groom had established respectable professions, financial security, and Euro passports. Marriage has a transactional aspect, it has always been so.

by Anonymousreply 285August 6, 2021 3:29 PM

[quote]After the mall, Chasten is thinking about Pete. It’s their third wedding anniversary. During a quick Target stop, he spots a hot pink gift bag with a close-up of a dog that resembles Buddy, their one-eyed puggle. It reads, “You’re Pug-tastic.” “OMG,” Chasten says. “That’s it. That’s the one.” He slips it into a wobbly-wheeled cart, confident it will make Pete smile. “This is great.”

I'm glad I'm dead

by Anonymousreply 286August 6, 2021 4:43 PM

[quote]It’s a familiar kind of whiplash for newcomers, especially those trailing a spouse rather than chasing a dream.

SHADE!

by Anonymousreply 287August 6, 2021 4:50 PM

Pete training for a triathlon seems like some high-level shade directed at Chasten's weight gain. No one does passive aggressive like a Midwestern gay!

by Anonymousreply 288August 6, 2021 8:16 PM

Or he could just want to train for a triathlon. I doubt he'd spend all that time and energy just to shade Chasten's lazy ways.

by Anonymousreply 289August 6, 2021 8:34 PM

Chadten is pimping Pete out with that photo. They're into some really kinky stuff and Chast is a cuck.

by Anonymousreply 290August 6, 2021 8:37 PM

Maybe, R288, but it seems like this kind of absurd masochistic exercise stuff is pretty common among basic bitches like Pete.

by Anonymousreply 291August 6, 2021 8:45 PM

Just finished the article. JFC could Chasten be any more of a fucking woman? How embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 292August 6, 2021 8:51 PM

Chasten just needs to man up and get a damn job. How can a man in his early thirties be this lazy, unambitious, basic, clueless and needy?

by Anonymousreply 293August 6, 2021 9:03 PM

I feel that most women don't bitch and moan as much as Chasten, R292. They either have jobs or they're taking care of a family and dealing with it without calling up WAPO to whine.

by Anonymousreply 294August 6, 2021 9:11 PM

Chasten wants people to know what it's like being a power spouse. He does more for Pete than Pete could ever do for him.

by Anonymousreply 295August 10, 2021 10:44 AM

Pete needs to wake up and divorce that lazy lard of a husband.

by Anonymousreply 296August 10, 2021 10:54 AM

r296 Not as long as Chasten keeps giving him that giant dick of his!

by Anonymousreply 297August 10, 2021 11:18 AM

[quote] Chasten wants people to know what it's like being a power spouse

I thought power spouses had an over-groomed Stepford Wife quality to them. Chasten looks more like a pet dog than a 'power spouse'.

FWIW I think Chasten is attractive in a guy-next-door way but the whiny tone of the WaPo article is very off-putting. He needs to STFU about his First World problems and get himself a job.

by Anonymousreply 298August 10, 2021 11:25 AM

Chasten should give parties and invite ALL of Washington DC's other power couples!

by Anonymousreply 299August 10, 2021 11:29 AM

R299 = Chasten lives in a one bedroom apartment with 2 dogs. Where will the guests gather for this party?....The front sidewalk?....What does a hillbilly like Chasten (or Pete) know about class?....LoL

by Anonymousreply 300August 10, 2021 11:51 AM

Can any book publisher insiders estimate how much Chasten got for his book? Low six figures? Low seven figures?

by Anonymousreply 301August 11, 2021 1:37 PM

I heard he got a seven million dollar advance.

by Anonymousreply 302August 11, 2021 1:41 PM

I heard that bitch is a bottom

by Anonymousreply 303August 11, 2021 1:43 PM

Not true. Ask anybody who frequents the South Bend baths. Chasten would plow through the locker rooms and showers and weight rooms and saunas and cubicles; sweat soaked, with a short towel around his waist and a murderous glare that dared any man to withstand the service of his tireless, GIGANTIC cock. Word spread to the theater district and the bookstores, the live sex shows; everywhere!

Chasten was known as the Elephant Man, because he had a trunk in his jeans! VPL from space!!

by Anonymousreply 304August 11, 2021 2:11 PM

R304 ROFL! That was a good hearty laugh. Thank you, I needed that.

by Anonymousreply 305August 12, 2021 11:31 PM

Two men in an tiny apartment with two dogs. You know their apartment smells like DOG. I bet Pete made Chasten pay off his own student loans with his paltry advance. Chasten is a jobless hillbilly from Michigan--not exactly a great novelist. I doubt he has a follow up book anytime soon. What would Chasten write about? His dog walking skills?. The Starbucks Menu?. LoL

by Anonymousreply 306August 12, 2021 11:59 PM

Snaaaaaaaap

by Anonymousreply 307August 13, 2021 4:34 AM

Their apartment seems cozy, and I predict Chasten will soon his talent for making lemons into lemonade and become THE most popular party host in ALL of Washington!!!!

This is the time for Chasten to BLOSSOM!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 308August 13, 2021 6:04 AM

I hope you're being facetious, R308, because the only thing that will blossom is Chasten's fat ass.

by Anonymousreply 309August 13, 2021 7:44 AM

R308 = What will Chasten serve at his classy parties?. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Lays Potato Chips and Wine Coolers?. Where will the guests sit? Lawn Chairs in the living room? Remember they don't have a den or a yard. Will the dogs be barking from the bedroom?

by Anonymousreply 310August 13, 2021 8:00 AM

I think the dogs could have the run of the house without causing too much of a distraction; which will be nice, because the guests can pet them. And I think Chasten can afford party planning books, including the latest from Betty Crocker, while still dazzling the guests with his patented Crushed Mango and American Cheese appetizers. The ingredients for every dish will be available, I'm sure, at wherever the local supermarket is in their area. Pete and Chasten will have enough room to entertain dozens and dozens of guests!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 311August 13, 2021 8:25 AM

He should get married to Jessica Chastain and take her last name.

by Anonymousreply 312August 13, 2021 4:17 PM

Pete is running in 2024 for President. He can either hold on to Chasten for 3 more years (through the election) the dump him in his first term year..... or, he can dump him now so it will be a non-issue by the time the primaries roll around, and will give Pete time to find a more suitable mate for 2024.

by Anonymousreply 313August 13, 2021 4:28 PM

r313 Who could be more suitable for Pete than Chasten?

by Anonymousreply 314August 13, 2021 4:39 PM

R310 doesn't realize that there are ballrooms in hotels all over DC available to rent out for parties. Lmao.

by Anonymousreply 315August 13, 2021 5:50 PM

r315 I know there are ballrooms in DC. What YOU don't know is that Pete and Chasten are economizing!!

Remember that Chasten, to save money and show his party planning skills, wants to do ALL the cooking (including his special dishes), and provide the entertainment via his "Party Til You Poop!" Spotify playlist (he has special car speakers he resourcefully hooks up to his phone via bluetooth). As long as they use all the rooms in the apartment the guests will have enough space to move around. And when theyb have the baby, as long as they keep the party down while it's sleeping, the fun won't be spoiled!!!!

Chasten and Pete wants their apartment to be a center of social activity for ALL of DC (!!!), and that includes everyone from visiting artists and academics, to Instagram and Tik Tok influencers. The entire country will be asking itself "Who was at Chasten & Pete's last night, honeyyy?"; and the answer will always be "Simply EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 316August 13, 2021 6:56 PM

[quote]The secretary’s husband isn’t particularly interested in talking pipelines and packages all night. He wants to dish about the HBO comedy “Hacks.” Alas, he seldom sees an opening.

Jesus this is just embarrassing

by Anonymousreply 317August 13, 2021 7:50 PM

r317 What's embarrassing about it?

by Anonymousreply 318August 13, 2021 8:10 PM

He wants to talk about a tv show in situations where people are discussing political topics. There's a time and a place for certain things.

by Anonymousreply 319August 13, 2021 8:22 PM

Chasten makes me think of the type of evil apartment neighbors in DC who would let their dogs shit in the communal apartment hallways and then sheepishly walk away when they hear their neighbors approaching.

What in the WORLD does Chasten do all day?? Just watch gay dramas like "Hacks" and his soaps? Go to the three remaining DC bookstores and sign copies of his "book" so they can't be returned to the publisher?

by Anonymousreply 320August 14, 2021 11:44 PM

He should try getting a job.

by Anonymousreply 321August 14, 2021 11:46 PM

[quote]What in the WORLD does Chasten do all day?? Just watch gay dramas like "Hacks" and his soaps? Go to the three remaining DC bookstores and sign copies of his "book" so they can't be returned to the publisher?

Shop for cheap tacky merchandise at Target, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 322August 15, 2021 12:42 AM

Look, Chasten isn't even doing volunteer work. Sometimes people don't work because they are lazy. This whole "we want to adopt" line is ridiculous. Nobody trying to adopt is going to rent a one bedroom apartment. Where are they going to put the baby? The dresser drawer?. Chasten is probably being shunned in DC because he is just a nobody from Michigan who cannot have an intelligent conversation.

by Anonymousreply 323August 15, 2021 1:39 AM

[quote]What in the WORLD does Chasten do all day??

That's a great title for his next book.

by Anonymousreply 324August 15, 2021 3:09 AM

What Chasten does every day is, he visits the DC baths.

Naturally his reputation as South Bend's top Top preceded him, so it's no surprise, honey, that hundreds and hundreds of bottoms of all ages from all over the country were lined up around the block (and WHAT a BLOCK!!) to greet him on his first visit. He finished them all off in enough time to get home to plant his oil derrick into Pete's gaping ass!! Pumping and pumping and pumping ALL NIGHT!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 325August 15, 2021 4:12 AM

Now that Secretary Pete has moved out of Hicksville in Flyoverstan and become a resident of Washington DC, will he live up to the coastal gay male stereotype and insist that people refer to him as Peter and not Pete?

by Anonymousreply 326August 15, 2021 8:53 AM

Anyone else notice Chazzy is not posting pix of HIMSELF?....How big is Chubby Chazzy now?

by Anonymousreply 327August 15, 2021 9:46 AM

Chasten is cute and cuddly, and that's why Pete will never leave him: Women like a few pounds on a man!

by Anonymousreply 328August 15, 2021 10:07 AM

[quote] apartment neighbors in DC who would let their dogs shit in the communal apartment hallways and then sheepishly walk away when they hear their neighbors approaching.

WTF?! Are you serious? Link, please.

by Anonymousreply 329August 15, 2021 1:43 PM

Actually, Pete was the name he chose for politics. Apparently he was always Peter until he ran for office. Even in Flyoverstan. So I'm sure in his personal life, he's still Peter.

by Anonymousreply 330August 15, 2021 3:14 PM

Unless a focus group of fat basic bitches recommended that Chasten also call him Pete, who knows....

by Anonymousreply 331August 15, 2021 4:58 PM

Congratulations, Chasten! Pete just announced they're going to be dads!!

I hope it's twins!

by Anonymousreply 332August 17, 2021 7:16 PM

Was that pic from his ob/gyn? The milk is obviously coming in!

by Anonymousreply 333August 17, 2021 7:17 PM

[quote] Congratulations, Chasten! Pete just announced they're going to be dads!!

[quote] I hope it's twins!

How can they possibly take care of one child, along with their two dogs, in a small one-bedroom apartment -- let alone two children?

by Anonymousreply 334August 17, 2021 7:31 PM

Wait, so he's got Masters degree, I don't care what it's in. He can go teach at a local college.

Or as my spouse and I both echoed while I read the article. I'd simply tell Chasten to suck it up buttercup.

by Anonymousreply 335August 17, 2021 8:26 PM

Now he can be a stay at home mom.

by Anonymousreply 336August 17, 2021 8:42 PM

[QUOTE] What Chasten does every day is, he visits the DC baths.

Coincidentally, the Crew Club apparently reopens this coming Friday at 4pm.

There was a “closing party” back in February 2020 that was actually really fun, packed, and had a DJ. It closed, then got sold for condo development. And no it’s apparently going back to being the main D.C. bathhouse (located just down the street from Le Dip!)

by Anonymousreply 337August 17, 2021 10:02 PM

You can't handle Chasten aka The Hog

by Anonymousreply 338August 17, 2021 10:37 PM

Sir, I am a married lady!

I insist on discretion. Besides, Lindsey,I thought you were a bottom too.

by Anonymousreply 339August 17, 2021 10:39 PM

Does the troll Lindzeybeast resent Peter and Chas for being openly gay and living together instead of cowering in the closet?

by Anonymousreply 340August 18, 2021 7:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!