Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tyler Perry still portrays gays as desperate Buffoons

Very regressive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 18, 2023 6:53 PM

Self-loathing.

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2021 12:30 AM

You beat me to the punch R1. With his little German boy toy and playing in the closet. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2021 12:36 AM

Yeah, why is it that gay men are always portrayed as salivating over straight men, hoping they can turn a straight man gay, or pretending that straight men are not really straight straight? And where would Tyler Perry get such ideas from?

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2021 12:56 AM

Tyler Perry is a shit writer/director, but he definitely nailed the Datalounge Eldergays in this scene.

Probably one of the funniest scenes out of all of his films.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2021 1:01 AM

R4 what was the funny part?

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2021 2:04 AM

Yet he is (or is it "was"?) friends with the ultra-woke messes in Montecito...

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2021 2:11 AM

Over the top

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 12:56 AM

I hate that cocksucker.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 1:08 AM

R6, and Oprah and Gayle, too.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2021 1:22 AM

Can't imagine where Tyler would get the inspiration to write such a character.

Also can't imagine why he got the Boondocks episode about him banned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2021 3:01 AM

Smh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 2:31 PM

Brock needs to settle that man down.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 2:39 PM

The mid-season finale of Sistas is airing Wednesday. Following the show, Tyler Perry is hosting an after-show and will be sitting down with the cast to talk about the finale and the show in general.

However it's called "The Tyler Perry Show". This is most likely a test to see how viewers respond to him as a talk-show host.

I wonder if Oprah encouraged him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2021 5:23 AM

Not Tyla on this post-show talking about how he was trying to chase a woman who rejected him because at the time he didn't make any money.

Sure, Tyla!!!

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2021 2:53 AM

I believe him

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2021 4:08 AM

So do I.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2021 4:33 AM

Alpha Trade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 4, 2021 4:16 PM

Oval

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2021 9:37 PM

Is he the black Joshua Bassett?

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2021 9:48 PM

R3, the DL of course., where any man we find desirable, can be turned out

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2021 9:49 PM

It was a rhetorical question, Captain Obvious at r20.

by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2021 9:51 PM

R3 because a lot of gay men really are like that.

by Anonymousreply 22December 27, 2021 10:08 PM

Isn't this type of stuff very common with gay directors and writers in their portrayals and treatment of gay characters?

by Anonymousreply 23December 27, 2021 10:11 PM

Tyler understands that there is a huge gay presence in the Black community so he knows he has to write about it with two goals in mind: (1) Not be offensive and (2) Not out himself.

Maurice is the comic relief on Sistas and that is easy for Tyler since he is essentially Madea in pants.

The more complex (and better written) gay characters appear in "The Oval" which is his drama about the White House.

Maurice is over the top sometimes but I think Tyler achieves his two goals... mostly. lol

by Anonymousreply 24December 27, 2021 10:12 PM

JFC, r3 was making a joke about this site. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 25December 27, 2021 10:13 PM

Oh, yeah. Tyler Perry is writing interracial gay sex scenes because he HAS to...

by Anonymousreply 26December 27, 2021 10:15 PM

Doesn't help that a lot of the actors in his shows/movies can't act for shit.

by Anonymousreply 27December 27, 2021 10:16 PM

R26 Tyler writes interracial straight scenes too.

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2021 10:16 PM

Yes but the Black Church condones miscegenation.

by Anonymousreply 29December 27, 2021 10:18 PM

R29 I am not understanding what you are saying. What is your specific criticism? You have a problem with interracial gay scenes? Do you not believe that men of different races have sex with each other? What is your point?

by Anonymousreply 30December 27, 2021 10:21 PM

No. I disagree that Tyler Perry has to include gay characters. His audience is basically Church women. They would not protest a lack of gay representation. And church gays are used to staying mute.

by Anonymousreply 31December 27, 2021 10:24 PM

[quote]Probably one of the funniest scenes out of all of his films.

This is the funniest scene out of all of his films and only a gay man could have written it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 27, 2021 10:30 PM

R31 Seriously? Have you ever been to a Black church? They are full of homosexuals, from the choir to the gay teens sitting with their mamas in the front pew, to the queens who slip in and sit in the back after partying all night with the nightclub ink stamps still on their hands. LOL My friend used to take me all the time. I saw lots of familiar faces!

[Quote]His audience is basically Church women. They would not protest a lack of gay representation.

Nope! If you think Tyler's audience is all Black "church women" then you are sadly mistaken. If you watched the Tyler Perry Show then you would have heard him say that "Sistas" is the number one show for ALL BLACK WOMEN on Wednesday nights!

Do you think Black church women only watch shows about Black people? If they did then they'd spend a lot of time with the tv turned off. LOL And "Black church women" are not turning off the tv because of a gay character. Give them more credit than that.

Finally, interracial gay relationships are more common than you think and they also help expand the audience.

Gay interracial relationships are some of the most complicated which is why almost every time you see a Black gay character portrayed on TV or in a movie, their partner is of another race. It allows for more storylines and broadens appeal. Tyler probably figures that if you are gonna go piss off the racists by having a Black show then you may as well show the gays some love too since homophobes and racists usually roll together. Although all racists are not homophobes, almost all homophobes are also racist (some of the worst people in the world). Lumping Black people and gays together can only help with audience numbers - not hurt it.

I won't even get into all the WELL KNOWN Black gay celebrities with real life White partners. Interracial relationships do exist. Representation is important, but even more important is people want to see something that is interesting AND REAL!

by Anonymousreply 33December 27, 2021 11:07 PM

R32, Very funny scene! Only a gay man (or an actual old woman) would understand the frustration of having to deal with a little punk. LOL

by Anonymousreply 34December 27, 2021 11:08 PM

[Quote] Seriously? Have you ever been to a Black church? They are full of homosexuals, from the choir to the gay teens sitting with their mamas in the front pew, to the queens who slip in and sit in the back after partying all night with the nightclub ink stamps still on their hands. LOL My friend used to take me all the time. I saw lots of familiar faces!

And they stay mute while the preacher is railing against gays from the pulpit...

by Anonymousreply 35December 27, 2021 11:08 PM

Tyler Perry movies bring in white people too,

by Anonymousreply 36December 27, 2021 11:09 PM

DL Hughley: "Black church is the gayest place on the face of the Earth."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 27, 2021 11:10 PM

R35 I will trust Tyler to know who his audience is and what he needs to do to keep them. He seems to be doing alright.

by Anonymousreply 38December 27, 2021 11:21 PM

Don't trust Tyler if you're a writer who believes in unions, health insurance etc.

by Anonymousreply 39December 27, 2021 11:24 PM

R39 Are you saying Tyler doesn't know his audience?

by Anonymousreply 40December 27, 2021 11:28 PM

[Quote] Are you saying Tyler doesn't know his audience?

I'm saying there's a lot about him that isn't admirable. But some people just care about $$$.

by Anonymousreply 41December 27, 2021 11:30 PM

Watching "Why Did I Get Married?" and didn't realize how horrible Janet Jackson's nose job is.

by Anonymousreply 42June 11, 2022 10:00 PM

[quote] Are you saying Tyler doesn't know his audience?

His movies seem like matinee popcorn fillers for black women.

by Anonymousreply 43June 11, 2022 10:01 PM

Tyler Perry movies have a gay male cult following.

by Anonymousreply 44June 11, 2022 10:06 PM

Zatima

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2022 4:04 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 46March 18, 2023 1:34 PM

Whitney indirectly called Janet a has-been when she said Tyler’s films are for fading black stars, not rising ones.

by Anonymousreply 47March 18, 2023 6:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!