Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Greek Olive Oil is the Best in the World

Greek olive oil is synonymous with Greek tradition, as well as its healthy diet and its rich history. The “Liquid Gold” of the country, as Homer called it, is an irreplaceable nutritional component for every Greek person.

“Thus, the olive oil produced in Greece carries all the specific characteristics of the land, the climate, the soil properties and the micro characteristics of each part of Greece.”

Aristotle studied the olive tree and turned its cultivation into to science. The Athenian statesman and lawmaker Solon (639-559 BC) was the first to legislate its protection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2021 4:46 AM

PR shill !!

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2021 12:02 AM

Olive oil in Ancient Greece was not only a basic food, but also a symbol of good health and strength, and an actual medicine, as well as a source of magic, inspiring great awe for its powers.

Athletes and warriors would rub it all over their bodies, because they believed that it would give them strength and good luck, and the heads of nobles were anointed with it.

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2021 12:03 AM

In other words, Greek olive oil, like Greece and the Greeks, hasn't changed since pre-Roman times and still clings to glories dead for two-and-a-half millennia.

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2021 12:10 AM

True.

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2021 12:17 AM

R3 - Whoa, if you're gonna start telling the truth around here, Nick and George are gonna start yelling!!

A cutting statement, but absolute truth.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2021 12:19 AM

Greek olive oil is best when it's lathered on the hard chiseled body of a muscular Greek hunk.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2021 12:27 AM

Top rated 2020

Spain in first 8 positions

Greece 9th

Portugal 10th

Results will vary, somewhat, but Spain is always the answer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2021 12:28 AM

R5, it's a big mystery because Greek migrants have done so well everywhere but Greece!

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2021 12:33 AM

But is it really olive oil?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2021 12:34 AM

I love olive oil. And I would orefer a sex partner rubbed down in it as opposed to Bear fat. (Sorry Native American DLers: I’m a vegetarian.

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2021 12:38 AM

The good stuff is about $70-80 a bottle. But Greek is the best, if you can find it. Trader Joe’s has a Greek olive oil.

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2021 12:41 AM

R9: I 'm a Spanish oil man, and know and live the specific tastes of the main types and blends, but if I were to buy Italian it would only be in Italy from a handful of small producers. Only then and after tasting it would I have reasonable confidence it wasn't the poor quality stuff widely available under misleading labels. Italian oil has been suspect for many years now, exported, even in Italy.

There are some good suppliers in the U.S. of imported oils, and even a couple of California producers who are not bad, but Americans don't have much knowledge of what they're buying (a fact the Italian Mafia has profited from handsomely, it seems.)

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2021 12:45 AM

I heard Greek olive oil is prcessed in Italy, not Greece, because Greece is too poor/backward/corrupt/stupid. And I hear most Italian olive oil refinery plants are run by the mafia and you have NO reason to believe you are getting extra virgin olive oil and not (shudder) something else.....soybean oil or pure olive oil or Astroglide or something. So for the past several years I stick to buying Californian extra vigin olive oil. FUCK YOU GREECE. FUCK YOU ITALY.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2021 12:49 AM

Olive Oil Parody commercial

Andrea Martin as Sophia Loren

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2021 12:57 AM

R12 Italy has plenty of great olive oil producers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2021 12:59 AM

I prefer this . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2021 1:06 AM

R8 - that's very true. Greeks do succeed when they immigrate somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2021 1:59 AM

Italian olive oil is 90% fake using canola oil, IIRC. (thanks, Naples mafia!) Not so with Greek and Spanish brands.

Greek olive oil is of course at its best when use to lubricate Turks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2021 2:19 AM

Top 10 MOST POPULAR GREEK OLIVE OILS:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2021 2:52 AM

[quote]Italian olive oil is 90% fake using canola oil, IIRC. (thanks, Naples mafia!)

Bullshit.

Every reputable test of Olive Oil prefers Italian and Spanish oils.

That one California brand usually makes a good showing too.

Greek oils...at least what is available in the US.... are never ranked among the best.

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2021 3:07 AM

I buy from a local specialty store (I love the lemon infused) and Trader Joe's. I think Trader Joe's has good buyers.

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2021 3:09 AM

Infused oils are crap. It's a way to mask staleness, low quality.

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2021 3:13 AM

is it better than Boy Butter?

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2021 4:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!