Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Last of Sheila on TCM Saturday 10:45 am PST

Heard of it. Dyan Cannon, Raquel, James Coburn. Trashy fun or don’t bother.

by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2024 3:42 AM

Like it very much but it has a nasty undertow. Unlikable characters. Love, love, love James Mason.

by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2021 1:12 AM

It’s kind of creepy.

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2021 1:16 AM

Trashy fun. Especially if it’s a good quality print and if you read up on the inside jokes (Dyan is playing Sue Mengers, etc.) Also busty former starlet Yvonne Romaine (lots of 1960s Hammer movies) aka Evie Bricusse —who married extremely well — Leslie Bricusse — and is besties with Joan Collins irl (The Newleys and the Bricusses were all pals in the late 1960s) has a tiny cameo as Sheila. Plus Joan Hackett and Raquel Welch spoofing herself, all written by Sondheim and Anthony Perkins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2021 1:28 AM

Campy fun. Written by Stephen Sondheim and Anthony Perkins. Richard Benjamin, Dyan Cannon, Raquel Welch, James Coburn, James Mason, Ian McShane, and Joan Hackett. Several cast members were playing other famous people in Hollywood: James Mason's character was based on an Orson Welles. Richard Benjamin was playing Anthony Perkins. Dyan Cannon was playing Sue Mengers (her own agent). Raquel Welch was told that she was playing Ann-Margret - when, in fact, she was actually playing herself.

"Raquel Welch was the most selfish, ill-mannered, inconsiderate actress that I have ever had the displeasure of working with." -James Mason

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2021 1:30 AM

It's more twisted than trashy. I haven't seen it in many years, so I looked it up on IMDB. I knew it was directed by Herbert Ross, but had no idea that it was written by Stephen Sondheim and Anthony Perkins. Another odd tidbit: the costume designer was Joel Schumacher. A veritable gay fest!

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2021 1:37 AM

Rocky looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 6July 17, 2021 1:38 AM

Thank you all. Sounds like a go for me.

by Anonymousreply 7July 17, 2021 1:41 AM

Sheila is the sled, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8July 17, 2021 1:42 AM

" Raquel Welch was told that she was playing Ann-Margret - when, in fact, she was actually playing herself."

So...like all of her other performances?

by Anonymousreply 9July 17, 2021 1:44 AM

WHET The Herbert Ross Troll?

by Anonymousreply 10July 17, 2021 1:46 AM

It's one of those movies that sounds "divine" but isn't.

by Anonymousreply 11July 17, 2021 2:15 AM

That's a good description, r11.

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2021 2:25 AM

When Ann-Margret proved she could act in Carnal Knowledge, one reviewer (I think it was in Time) said that until that film she was just a "vanilla Raquel Welch."

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2021 2:26 AM

It pains me that people don’t understand the difference between PST and PDT.

by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2021 2:54 AM

I cried because I had no shoes...

by Anonymousreply 15July 17, 2021 2:57 AM

It is PDST not PST.

by Anonymousreply 16July 17, 2021 7:18 AM

Don’t bother. I never got it. Never got Family Plot either.

by Anonymousreply 17July 17, 2021 9:19 AM

It's no "Cruise Into Terror".

by Anonymousreply 18July 17, 2021 9:37 AM

It's no Voyage of the Damned.

by Anonymousreply 19July 17, 2021 6:14 PM

Oh, come on! The movie is great fun, especially the first time you see, following all the clues to whodunnit.

And the great surprise of a then barely known Bette Midler singing "Friends" over the final credits. I remember seeing this in NY in 1973 at the old Sutton Theatre with my gay friends who knew Bette from the Baths.

by Anonymousreply 20July 17, 2021 6:19 PM

Were Sondheim and Perkins lovers ?

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2021 11:34 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2021 11:44 PM

Evil Under the Sun is basically the same movie but much better.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2021 11:51 PM

Much less than it thinks it is. In other words written by two lovers who think they are oh so clever. Still worth watching. Though I never want to see that underwater propeller scene again.

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2021 11:53 PM

I just watched this last night. It’s actually quite good.

by Anonymousreply 25August 21, 2022 11:00 AM

[quote] Like it very much but it has a nasty undertow. Unlikable characters

Isn't that the point? Tony Perkins' social circle was monsters, but fun.

Sue Mengers wished she looked as good as Dyan

by Anonymousreply 26August 21, 2022 11:10 AM

I love this movie. I find it clever and unpredictable.

by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2022 11:56 AM

Didn't Poisoned Dragon start a thread on this (2024)? Where'd his thread go!

by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2024 3:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!