Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Were Lorna Luft's and Joey Luft's Performances in Judy Garland's "I Could Go On Singing" their best?

I saw a reference to I Could Go On Singing on the "Shepard Smith Crashes and Burns at CNBC" thread. Lorna and Joey were, according to Wikipedia, respectively, "Girl on boat" and "Boy on boat" in this motion picture. Were these performances their best work?

From Wikipedia:

[quote] Lorna Luft as Girl on boat Joseph Luft as Boy on boat

Take my poll please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2021 6:37 AM

Other = the Judy Xmas special, where they feigned joy while being terrified Mama was going to drop dead onstage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2021 5:24 AM

Lorna had a great belt in Grease 2. Sad she only got to sing a few lines in one song (I believe.)

(or did she have a solo? I don't remember much of her singing except in the bowling song.)

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2021 6:32 AM

Lorna's book has a sort of unbelievable story about her almost being cast in Cats. She claims they liked her and hired a vocal coach or orchestrator or someone like that to work with her on Memory for four months. Then one day she read in the papers that Betty Buckley had been cast in the role.

Broadway people seem to think it is doubtful they'd pay to rehearse an actress that long by herself.

Plus it is odd that if she was that close to getting the role she didn't get the LA company or replace Buckley.

She has said that once she saw the show she didn't want to be in it because it would mean sitting backstage for most of the show and she wouldn't have like that. Kind of doubt that story too.

In the Broadway production Buckley was directed to always be watching the action from someplace. There were little perches and platforms all over the theater that she the outcast would appear on and sit for a while watching the action. Trevor Nunn wanted her to be a part of the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2021 6:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!