Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do Gen-Z kids like to hike so much?

It's all over their social media. Hiking here, hiking there, hiking everywhere.

I don't remember young people hiking so much in the 80's and 90's. They were more occupied with malls, bars, and nightclubs.

And I'm not sure how it was in the 60's and 70's, but you don't see old photos of kids hiking everywhere back then either.

So where did this hiking craze come from? It's weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 17, 2021 4:04 PM

Perhaps hiking is the antidote to the rampant obesity plaguing society today.

by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2021 3:24 PM

It’s cheap, healthy, and entertaining.

And you gotta get out there and enjoy nature before it’s destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2021 3:29 PM

What other free entertainment is there anymore?

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2021 3:31 PM

Sex, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2021 3:32 PM

Young people have a herd mentality.

Once they see one group of cool kids doing it, then they all start to do it.

It's like some group of popular kids went hiking, then posted it on Instagram (or Facebook if you want to go further back). Then everyone started doing it. Selfies, selfies, and more selfies.

Plus, they also like to go to "extreme" places, so that people can comment on their photos and say "OMG that's SICK!" Pfft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 13, 2021 3:40 PM

I'm suspicious of any 'trend' like this. I feel like there are some sports equipment company secretly behind it. It has happened many times before.

Sales of all outdoor equipment (sports and camping) went through the roof last year.

It could be that they don't have money for real vacations, but I suspect some marketing is also at play.

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2021 3:47 PM

You type fat, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2021 3:56 PM

[quote] Sales of all outdoor equipment (sports and camping) went through the roof last year.

What else was there to do?

by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2021 4:02 PM

Hiking is the only physical activity I actually enjoy - see nature!

by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2021 4:31 PM

Eating is way more fun than hiking. And I’ve never seen one goddamn television on a trail. Plus there’s no air conditioning.

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2021 4:39 PM

Hiking is the avocado toast of exercise

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2021 4:56 PM

As usual I was ahead of the curve, I'm an older millennial and I love hiking. I started in high school. It is the one type of exercise that doesn't feel like exercise. Plus, if you smoke up before hiking or take a pot vape pen with you, it is even better.

by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2021 5:01 PM

Young people have always hiked Only now, it is documented on social media. Being amazed by Gen-Z hiking is like a child who is amazed that the world actually was in color before color TV.

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2021 5:05 PM

Millennials have been posting hiking photos for over a decade now on social media, so I guess they're just copying them.

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2021 5:11 PM

I love bukakke hiking!

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2021 5:13 PM

I want to go hiking with this guy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2021 7:54 PM

This isn't new, Gen Xers liked hiking too, it's only the millennials that are afraid of everything.

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2021 7:56 PM

R4 It is definitely not free if you are ugly.

by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2021 8:34 PM

Such an odd complaint. Maybe Gen-Z's parents didn't tell them to stop staring at a screen and go outside. So maybe Gen Z is rebelling by spending all day outside? I know as a millennial, I would sometimes get kicked out of the house and forced to play outside while the grown-ups could talk and have their space away from kids.

by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2021 4:25 PM

Everyone is hiking, fool! Not just Gen Z!

by Anonymousreply 20July 14, 2021 4:44 PM

[quote] Such an odd complaint.

It's not really a complaint.

More of an observation.

by Anonymousreply 21July 14, 2021 6:11 PM

Who the hell complains about hiking? How do you feel about breathing, OP?

by Anonymousreply 22July 14, 2021 6:16 PM

I find the obsession with younger generations to be so obnoxious. In the 90s, it was Gen X. In the 2000s, it was Millennials. Now, it's Gen Z. Newsflash, most people are simple and boring in every generation and just trying to get by and teenagers have always been annoying and cocky. The real power is held in the hands of a select few and I'm starting to think the powers-that-be manufactured these generational terms to distract and divide us.

by Anonymousreply 23July 14, 2021 6:40 PM

I believe you've stated the exact same thing OVER AND OVER AND OVER again on every single generational thread, R23.

FYI. You're boring. You're obnoxious. And you're repetitive.

Get a motherfucking life, please!

by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2021 6:42 PM

R24 And how does that invalidate what I've been saying?

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2021 6:44 PM

I don’t hike but I walk and at 65, I see a lot of people my age doing the same. It’s low impact and the mood elevating. Try it!

by Anonymousreply 26July 17, 2021 3:22 PM

I've hiked for over 30 years, started hiking with my father when I was about 12. The things you see are incredible and often unexpected, but you have to be interested, tuned in to the wilderness, the shoreline, fields and woodlands and nature in general.

Once we were hiking through an open area of forest, trees spaced well apart, mossy areas, real Hobbit country. We stopped to rest for a while and sat on the trunk of a fallen tree.. After a while. we heard a sound in the distance. As it came closer and closer, we realized it was a squeaking sound. We sat very still.

Soon a veritable river of field mice came into view. I couldn't begin to guess how many - hundreds for sure. Finally they all passed by, and I said, "What was that all about?"

My father said "A mouse migration. They're going to an area with a better food supply."

It's for moments like this that I hike.

by Anonymousreply 27July 17, 2021 4:04 PM

I think the movie, "Wild" kicked off the hiking/backpacking craze. Unfortunately it is getting crowded out there. The fires in the West have destroyed a lot of trails and there are more people into it. They are requiring permits in more and more locations. It is so dry in the PNW it feels like we will be combusting .

by Anonymousreply 28July 17, 2021 4:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!