Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sleepaway Camp's Desiree Gould is dead to me!

She passed away on the 24th of May, but I can't find any thread. Although she only retired from acting in 2014 she was best known for her role as Aunt Martha in the 1983 slasher film Sleepaway Camp. RIP Desiree!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2021 1:02 PM

WTF language was that article translated from? Damn.

by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2021 1:04 PM

Was it just natural causes?

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2021 2:05 PM

That’s a dude, right?

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2021 2:21 PM

Co-star Felissa Rose's tweet:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2021 10:09 AM

She was really memorable and creepy in Sleepaway Camp. And she really came across as sweet and seemed to really appreciate the love from fans she got at conventions and online.

R3 She did have an androgynous and somewhat masculine look and there were claims on blogs that she was transgender. I'm pretty sure she was a biological female though. She has a feminine way of speaking and in manner and in earlier headshots when she was younger, looked like a biological woman, albeit one with strong features. She also happened to be of Italian and Jewish-Russian decent, and some women with those backgrounds can have some masculine features.

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2021 10:23 AM

Is the buzz desk an elaborate riff on those obvious Chinese-based clickbait sites?

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2021 10:32 AM

This article is written better than OP's article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2021 10:48 AM

I think if you view her scenes in SC, she appears more feminine than she does in stills. It's only when you view photos of her from the film does something appear slightly off.

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2021 10:51 AM

Thanks, R7. I posted the original article just for the photo without reading it first.

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2021 10:58 AM

I always thought Aunt Martha was the creepiest part of "Sleepaway Camp". When I first saw the movie, I thought for sure she was a drag queen. It was a very small part, but she was unforgettable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2021 11:13 AM

No, r5. That is a male head and face.

by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2021 11:16 AM

Interview:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2021 11:21 AM

Here are some younger head shots of her, with softer make-up. It's obvious she's a woman here. The heavier make-up in Sleepaway Camp and in some other photo could make her look like a drag queen or trans, like with many strong featured women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2021 11:38 AM

That’s a man.

RIP and all that, but come on. Born male.

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2021 11:40 AM

^^The last photo is pretty striking. I don't think the clothes she wore in SC did her any favours either. Any info on whether she was married or how she died?

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2021 11:43 AM

I don't think the cause of death was ever released. I think she was married at one point some time ago, because she also went by Desiree Mallon at one point according to public records.

by Anonymousreply 16July 14, 2021 11:52 AM

R13, Not "obvious" in the least. Male brow shape and low height above eye. Male nose.

by Anonymousreply 17July 14, 2021 12:06 PM

Furthermore, r13, I doubt you have any idea what "strong featured women" are.

Perhaps Sophia Loren, who could never be mistaken as having a male visage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2021 12:11 PM

That was a man, baby!

by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2021 12:28 PM

I watched that interview clip, and she has feminine speech patterns. And she seems like a nice person. She reminds me of one of my mom’s friends.

I’m very curious about how she lived her life when she wasn’t being an actress. How did she make a living?

My opinion is that she was born male, and created “Desiree”.

Now I’m very curious about who she was. I hope she’s at peace wherever she is now.

by Anonymousreply 20July 14, 2021 12:34 PM

R18 ect al, if you want to believe she was originally a man, fine. I just don't think she was. It doesn't matter to me, either way.

BTW, Sophia Loren isn't the best example of "strong featured" woman, either. She had some large features but was widely considered to be beautiful and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 21July 14, 2021 12:34 PM

Every photo of Desireé shared in this thread makes her look as though she was born male. That said, if she was trans she was one of those who made the commitment to actually live as one sex (none of this they/fae/xhe nonsense) and not hassle everybody about how they need to change their ways of thinking and speaking in order to protect her fragile mental health, so in my opinion she's totally due being referred to as the gender she identified as throughout her life.

I only get pissy about stuff like that when the person in question is a demanding, abusive asshole, and I've only read positive things about Desireé.

by Anonymousreply 22July 14, 2021 12:36 PM

It's possible she was born intersex, I think people are forgetting that.

She worked in real estate from 1992, R20

by Anonymousreply 23July 14, 2021 12:39 PM

She may have been one of those women who appears masculine.

There’s a woman I currently know. She has two kids who are obviously hers and her husband’s, but if I didn’t have that context, I’d assume she was trans. Her voice, her hairline, her facial features all seem MTF. But I’m sure her children came from her body. Some women really do come off as “off”.

Anyway, Desiree, RIP.

by Anonymousreply 24July 14, 2021 1:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!