Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jobriath reinvented himself as piano crooner Cole Berlin

He was bitter about the way the music industry had chewed him up and spat him out, and refused to perform his early-70s glam rock songs.

He died in 1983, probably from AIDS.

At the 1:35 mark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2024 1:58 AM

From Jobriath's 1974 live performance on The Midnight Special on NBC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2021 4:03 AM

I found out about him because of DL. I love him. This song is fabulous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2021 4:06 AM

I remember reading an article about Jobriath when I was a young teenager, I don't remember exactly when, but I think it was after his music career had failed to take off. I wasn't aware of him when his albums were released, and I don't remember ever seeing either of his albums in the record stores. To me, he was this VERY underground, forgotten figure.

When Napster came along, I found some of his stuff and downloaded it, and...I wasn't that impressed. He was clearly a huge talent, but I can understand why he never caught on. It seemed to me that he should have been writing musical theater or rock operas. I'm surprised he didn't go that route after his recording career didn't take off. His style just didn't fit in with the rock and pop world he was trying to conquer.

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2021 5:19 AM

It's a known fact that Jobriath died from AIDS, OP. There's even been a documentary about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2021 1:40 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2021 8:57 PM

‘His ‘Space Clown’ is my favourite 70s glam ballad. So poignant and bittersweet and baroque, while still a bit loopy and druggy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2021 7:56 AM

There’s as much Jobriath as there is Bowie & Eno in Jonathan Rhys Meyers’ character Brian Slade (of the mock rock biopic VELVET GOLDMINE).

In fact, one of Brian Slade’s fictional album sleeves looks exactly like the one for Jobriath’s self-titled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2021 9:14 AM

Haynes denies to this day that he used either Bowie or Jobriath as inspiration for his characters or film.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2021 7:30 PM

R8 and JRM still denies to this day that he prefers men sexually. What a world.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2021 9:31 PM

He was immensely talented but needed a good manager and producer to rein him in and produce hits. A lot of his music is a cacophony of ideas, he had so much going on in his head that needed to come out. He was possibly bipolar. Ultimately he needed someone to help him winnow that flood of creativity down into manageable songs.

by Anonymousreply 10November 4, 2021 6:48 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 11May 9, 2022 4:19 AM

The documentary about Jobriath is now on Peacock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 2, 2022 4:34 PM

Those videos of him... it's like watching early Freddie Mercury, but without the talent.

by Anonymousreply 13July 2, 2022 4:57 PM

The Datalounge......how do I not know about this weird, strange person? I never heard of him. Every day, DL teaches me something new about gay history in 2022. Why didn't I know about DL in 1995? Datalounge...The more you know!! To R9, JRM was a beautiful man (innocent looking with a gleam in his eyes) back in the day (what a body, cock and ass). Maybe the denials of wanting man-sex drove him to drink, JRM always& drank pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 14July 2, 2022 5:08 PM

Free on Youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 28, 2022 12:47 AM

Did Jobriath record an album as Cole Berlin?

by Anonymousreply 16August 28, 2022 12:58 AM

Just watched the documentary on Jobriath last night. Have to admit that I’d heretofore never heard of him, even though I definitely qualify as an Eldergay. The documentary was interesting and ultimately sad. It seemed to imply that that early, excessive hype perpetrated by his then-manager ultimately worked against Jobriath.

by Anonymousreply 17October 26, 2022 12:00 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2024 7:48 AM

And in a weird twist, also dead of AIDS three days later in August 1983: Klaus Nomi. .

by Anonymousreply 19August 25, 2024 8:28 AM

Jobriath and Klaus Nomi are very sad stories. Klaus has received some attention in subsequent years. They both were extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2024 8:58 AM

I too learnt something today off of Datalounge like R14 who for some reason is greyed out fuck knows why. Both Jobriath and Klaus Nomi, huge untapped potential and talent had they not been taken too early

by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2024 11:34 AM

[quote]Both Jobriath and Klaus Nomi, huge untapped potential and talent had they not been taken too early.

Told you.

by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2024 12:15 PM

Being both Millennial and a person living with HIV, I appreciate this post a lot. What Fran @ R22 neglected to mention is that the audience died, too. Survivors' guilt be damned. We're still here.

I had never heard of Jobriath. Here's my new 'favorite' song, when they were in a late 60s folk band called Pidgeon. Thank you OP, you taught me something today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 26, 2024 5:58 AM

FYI, all: the documentary, "Jobriath A.D.," is on Tubi. I watched it last night. Outstanding, gripping filmmaking - lots of fabulous archival footage of Jobriath performing, as well as interviews with those who worked with and knew him; the interview portions with Jerry Brandt are particularly fascinating and well done. (I won't comment on how Brandt comes across--better left unsaid.)

The end focuses on Jobriath's reinvention of himself as a nightclub singer and almost had me in tears. Wonderful documentary--moving but never cloying. Jobriath, not incidentally, was unbelievably handsome.

Highly recommend for those of you who missed it elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 24September 28, 2024 5:08 PM

FYI one of our Dataloungers is the director/producer/writer of, "Jobriath A.D".

by Anonymousreply 25September 28, 2024 5:45 PM

^ That is fantastic! I do hope he knows how admired and appreciated his work is. I was blown away by the entire film--the skilled presentation of the material: the pacing, use of footage, interviews, and narration. Obviously an extremely talented filmmaker at work. I'm going to watch Jobriath A.D. again, for sure.

Also curious if the director did the voice-over narration, because it's top-notch in the way it guides without intruding.

by Anonymousreply 26September 28, 2024 6:34 PM

Henry Rollins narrated.

by Anonymousreply 27September 29, 2024 1:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!