Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays, tell me about Rona Barrett

She seems to have been a big deal at one time, and then just up and quit the business. Were you a fan?

by Anonymousreply 50December 10, 2022 11:19 PM

When I was a kid I knew her from the Tom Snyder show and he seemed annoyed by her.

by Anonymousreply 1July 10, 2021 4:24 AM

I didn't think she was that big of a deal, more like the National Enquirer column type

by Anonymousreply 2July 10, 2021 4:28 AM

She was a huge tv celebrity and the first name in Hollywood gossip in the 1970s.

Everyone knew her.

by Anonymousreply 3July 10, 2021 4:32 AM

She could be nasty at times. There's an old Jack Paar show I think it was where she starts off with some vicious gossip and one of the other guests, Sir Clement Freud, really lays into her about her methods.

She seemed to mellow in later years, but she had her own gossip magazine, and used to have specials on tv, segments on different talk shows, etc. I don't think she was as powerful as Hedda and Louella had been during their era (when the studio system was in place), but she had a big audience listening to her or reading her columns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 10, 2021 4:38 AM

She was ubiquitous and a household name in her hey day and the head of a publishing empire. At one point she published four different magazines with her name on them. She got celebs to open up to her on camera and even convinced Cher to be interviewed in bed next to her. She's now head of a non-profit for seniors.

by Anonymousreply 5July 10, 2021 4:45 AM

[quote]She was ubiquitous and a household name in her hey day and the head of a publishing empire.

In an age of Entertainment Tonight and TMZ it's hard to believe, but she went on TV several nights a week and broke major stories -- not just who's seeing whom, but deals at studios and major business stories. She was loathed in Hollywood not because she was a gossip, but because she aired the laundry, she was tough, and she couldn't be bought. It was later that she did the glitzy star interviews.

I've always wanted to read her novel "The Loveomaniacs," which GoodReads describes as "A multi-character novel about movie moguls, LSD, hijacked planes to Cuba, and gay sex in Central Park."

by Anonymousreply 6July 10, 2021 4:59 AM

She was big back in the day (I read one of her books and it was quite shallow). She acquired too much of an ego, people began to dislike her (I don't think they much liked her in the first place), she got the hint and left the gossip business.

by Anonymousreply 7July 10, 2021 5:04 AM

Kirk Douglas tried to fuck her but she resisted.

by Anonymousreply 8July 10, 2021 5:40 AM

Rona conducted Jayne Mansfield's final in studio interview, which ABC aired the day she died.

by Anonymousreply 9July 10, 2021 5:42 AM

Rona Barrett (born Rona Burstein, October 8, 1936), 84, in New York City, is an American gossip columnist and businesswoman. She runs the Rona Barrett Foundation, a non-profit organization in Santa Ynez, California, dedicated to the aid and support of senior citizens in need.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 10, 2021 5:45 AM

I saw her on tv about the time of the Rock Hudson/Jim Nabors wedding hoax and she said it wasn't true but just a rumor started by a group of "vicious homosexuals". And this was years before DL.

by Anonymousreply 11July 10, 2021 6:21 AM

If you watch 70s sitcoms, there will almost certainly be a reference to Barrett, that's how big she was. When she went to NBC from ABC's morning show, it was big because she became the reason NBC's Today jumped to first in the ratings. All the entertainment shows owe their existence to her

by Anonymousreply 12July 10, 2021 7:22 AM

I didn't realize she was in her late 30s at her peak in the mid-seventies. She looked 20 years older

by Anonymousreply 13July 10, 2021 7:39 AM

She was a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 14July 10, 2021 7:44 AM

"The Loveomaniacs" was hidden in my mom's closet! I never read it but knew something was up about it.

Then I found her douche.

I stopped looking.

by Anonymousreply 15July 10, 2021 7:46 AM

She was wonderful, Steve MacQueen begged her to let him put just an inch of his cock inside her. Her reporting was instrumental in bringing down David Begelman, the notorious head of Columbia Studios.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 10, 2021 10:08 AM

R16, It was Kirk Douglas, not Steve McQueen.

by Anonymousreply 17July 10, 2021 10:32 AM

Saying you loved Rona Barrett would be a little like admitting that you ate the stale circus peanuts that had been under a couch cushion since Halloween. It's too humiliating to imagine.

by Anonymousreply 18July 10, 2021 10:52 AM

The Tom Snyder/Rona Barrett pairing was about as successful as the Barbara Walters/Harry Reasoner pairing.

by Anonymousreply 19July 10, 2021 11:08 AM

R19, Here's an excellent synopsis . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 10, 2021 11:11 AM

When Rona was added to the TODAY Show, then co-host Tom Brokaw refused to introduce her segments.

by Anonymousreply 21July 10, 2021 11:14 AM

R4, that’s an amazing clip. Hardly surprising, in hindsight, that Clement Freud felt threatened by someone reporting on public figures’ personal failings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2021 11:27 AM

Rona interviews a very intimidated Tom Cruise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2021 11:42 AM

Rona, the pre-Barbara Walters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 10, 2021 11:44 AM

Tom Brokaw had a long running feud with Barrett from his days as an anchor in LA.

by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2021 7:44 PM

When I was young, I loved her because she was show biz but clearly camp and a gossip. I wish they would do a bio pic on her with Kristin Wiig.

by Anonymousreply 26July 10, 2021 7:51 PM

I used to spend my allowance on RB's Hollywood and Gossip magazines. I'd read them cover to cover.

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2022 5:16 PM

R11 Not true. They loved me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2022 5:21 PM

She was quite stiff.

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2022 5:28 PM

She used to grow lavender on her ranch in Santa Ynez, California, and sell lavender products. Bath, beauty, food and aromatherapy stuff. 2% of the profits were donated to The Rona Barrett Foundation, a charity that provides services to seniors. But she ceased production of the lavender and sold that business. She still has the foundation, which runs on donations. She is now 86.

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2022 5:29 PM

Tom Cruise was cute AF in that interview. Very self-possessed and articulate for only 20 years old. Think of 20 year-old celebs today and what trash they are, the contrast is striking.

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2022 5:33 PM

R27 - Same! Rona Barrett's Gossip and Rona Barrett's Hollywood magazines were my monthly reads. I was in High School in the 70's and my friends and I would go to nearby Woolworths to check the magazine racks for the latest issues.

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2022 7:50 PM

She was NOT NICE and a TOUGH GIRL. I was a nice girl and she filled me with envy.

by Anonymousreply 33December 8, 2022 1:38 AM

I'm certainly old enough to remember Rona's hey day and yet still find all these old clips riveting. But then I couldn't even watch the entire Paar clip, it was so cringey on so many levels. TV interviews are all so polite and scripted nowadays. What a cunt Rona was and that's why everyone watched her all time. Truly the woman you LOVED to HATE.

Also, Tom Snyder was hot AF. At least in the 1970s. He deserves his own thread.

by Anonymousreply 34December 8, 2022 2:12 AM

She was very well-known in the 1970s, enough for The Carol Burnett Show to do a parody of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 8, 2022 3:53 AM

I only knew her from the Mae West film Sextette (1978)

by Anonymousreply 36December 9, 2022 2:45 AM

The ULTIMATE JEWESS.

by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2022 7:40 AM

[quote] R16, It was Kirk Douglas, not Steve McQueen.

You're both wrong. It was Hugh O'Brian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 10, 2022 1:00 AM

She was popular in the 60s and 70s, but then got elbowed aside by Barbara Walters when she came out with her 'Barbara Walters Special' in 1976. Walters was able to get the real big names back then (Streisand, Ross, etc.) and did more in-depth interviews than what Barrett was doing.By the 80s, Entertainment Tonight came along doing Hollywood gossip every night of the week, and really pushed Barrett out to sea.

by Anonymousreply 39December 10, 2022 1:05 AM

How many of you had this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 10, 2022 2:15 AM

I once worked in the same office where her magazine was published in Hollywood. This was in the 90s, but the company I worked for kept the same tacky 70s office furniture left over from The Laufer Company.

by Anonymousreply 41December 10, 2022 5:04 PM

Loved her on Good Morning America.

by Anonymousreply 42December 10, 2022 5:13 PM

R39 wrote what I planned to say. He's 100% correct.

I recall that interview she did with Tom because she really disappeared after that - the industry completely bypassed her because of Entertainment Tonight, which provided great gossip and celebrity interviews by the likes of Mary Hart.

One more thing. There's no way that bitch was born in 1936. I bet she knocked a few years off her age.

by Anonymousreply 43December 10, 2022 5:32 PM

Rick Dees (remember him?) the morning show DJ on KIIS FM in LA did more ‘comedy’ sketch bits than he ever played music.

His wife Julie(?) Dees would lend her funny voices to the bits and had the recurring character Groanin’ Bear-It.

Komedy Gold

by Anonymousreply 44December 10, 2022 5:53 PM

I too used to read [italic]Rona Barrett's Hollywood[/italic] as a kid. I thought her frosted wiglet was the height of glamma as a '70s gayling.

by Anonymousreply 45December 10, 2022 5:56 PM

[quote]His wife Julie(?) Dees would lend her funny voices to the bits and had the recurring character Groanin’ Bear-It.

She did another one called Jane Fondle. LOL

by Anonymousreply 46December 10, 2022 5:57 PM

So country, r40!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 10, 2022 6:15 PM

Was just scouring YouTube for the SCTV sketch The Gene Shalit Critics’ Variety Special, but they yanked it.

Funny bit with Catherine O’Hara as Rona singing I’ve Grown Accustomed to Your Face to Eugene Levy as Shalit and also Siskel and Ebert singing Jeepers Creepers and all of them in sequined pop and lock outfits doing the robot.

by Anonymousreply 48December 10, 2022 6:21 PM

Maybe I'm crazy but wasn't she even on the nightly news?

I'm not crazy, I just saw a reference to it. " Rona Barrett drove around Hollywood in a Rolls-Royce with a license plate that read MS RONA, the nickname she’d picked up when she first started delivering Hollywood tidbits at the end of the ABC evening news."

I thought she was the Hedda Hopper of the 1970s. But rather than having a daily column, she was more TV and magazine oriented. All the kids used to make fun of her Noo Yawk accent. She was sort of likeable.

by Anonymousreply 49December 10, 2022 8:09 PM

I remember the big fallout she had with Ali MacGraw when this magazine hit the newsstands. Rona had given her a rating of 4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 10, 2022 11:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!