Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL Druggies: What is Joey Heatherton on here? 1982 "I Go To Rio"

This clip is making the rounds and everyone's remarking how doped up she is. Can you be completely gone on drugs and still do turns and kick your face and sing a wordy song like she does here? She seems both hyper energized and also sleepy eyed and slushy tongued. And the camera knows to never really go in on her.

I've never done any drugs, but my big fear in a routine like this would be falling during the dancing.

Sometimes you can see Liza hyper and sweaty yet glazed at the same time. And even Lorna, unblinking and sweatily intense in a random scene in Trapper John MD. Is that all cocaine or something else?

Where are some other old time divas on the stuff on video (and what are they on?)?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 7, 2021 11:00 AM

Cocaine, Dexedrine, a Quaalude & vodka.

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2021 3:16 AM

OP or anyone else here, is there video of Lorna fucked up on tape? Please share! That would be the most interesting thing about her, since, ever.

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2021 3:21 AM

Joey was cut from the same cloth as Liza. That hyper, manic, razzmatazz style that seems so overblown and cheezy now.

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2021 3:21 AM

And let's not forget the fabulous Lola Heatherton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2021 3:26 AM

I want to bear all your children! Ha! Ha! Ha!

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2021 3:39 AM

This number is scary!

The sad thing is Joey Heatherton started out with a dazzling voice. She just came onto the scene a bit late for her kind of talent.

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2021 3:59 AM

Understated Joey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2021 6:47 PM

15 or more years ago Joey moved into the Horace Heidt Apartments in the Valley. She was known as the mean drunk old lady of the complex. I saw her a few times at the one of the pools. She looked old but okay.

by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2021 6:57 PM

Don't get on Joey's bad side. She WILL take out the trash...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2021 7:00 PM

So many of the comments on YouTube are from people indignant that anyone would suggest that perhaps Joey was on any kind of substances. She was just an enthusiastic and talented performer.

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2021 7:29 PM

Even at her most... energetic... Joey was better than this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2021 7:31 PM

And these two coke whores.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2021 7:31 PM

This is one of the greatest courtroom performances of all time. Pardon the opening by uber cunt Cindy Adams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 28, 2021 7:53 PM

Joey did Playboy in the mid 1990s. It's a shame she didn't go into the Chicago revival.

by Anonymousreply 14August 28, 2021 7:57 PM

I've always felt bad for her. She was beautiful and could sing and dance with the best of them, but she really was born too late for that kind of style. Hell, Liza only barely squeezed in there at the end. I miss this style of performing. They seemed more alive and fun.

by Anonymousreply 15August 28, 2021 8:07 PM

Ann-Margret made it. Joey was an indifferent actress. She also leaned towards eye fucking the camera as her default style. Would she have been a Mitzi Gaynor if she arrived in Hollywood in the late 1940s/early 1950s? I would suggest not.

by Anonymousreply 16August 28, 2021 8:10 PM

Joey was certainly more talented than Connie Fucking Stevens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 28, 2021 8:12 PM

R15 you mean the “exaggerated, over-performed, theatrical style”?

by Anonymousreply 18August 28, 2021 8:21 PM

Yes R18. At least it had some life and they looked like they were enjoying what they were doing. Look at musical theatre actors today and tell me that bland crap is better than what people like Liza were doing. They had character and charm and you felt like you were seeing an event. Besides the fuller orchestras, better sets/costumes, and extra seats, I feel like you might as well just take in a local community theatre production and save yourself some money. Many of the performers on Broadway these days still seem to be operating at that level. Everyone is competent, but not really brilliant at anything.

by Anonymousreply 19August 28, 2021 8:24 PM

She was married to a baseball player, Lance Rentzell. He was a sex criminal. He would drive up to pre teens and expose himself in his car.

by Anonymousreply 20August 28, 2021 8:28 PM

Joey wasn't always... caffeinated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 28, 2021 8:28 PM

Joey and an old Broadway hoofer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 28, 2021 8:31 PM

Joey choreographed by Michael Bennett. I don't know if it was anatomy or just stretching but she did the best kicks of any female dancer, way further extended than Reinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 28, 2021 8:34 PM

Joey Heatherton has a cameo in the John Waters film, "Cry-Baby, (1990)."

by Anonymousreply 24August 28, 2021 8:35 PM

Why did male back up dancers look so old back then?

by Anonymousreply 25August 28, 2021 8:36 PM

Yes, she’s a blast but did she ever sing “The Joker” to Mother Teresa?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 28, 2021 8:52 PM

I had no idea she was still alive (or Lola Falana, for that matter). Joey seemed almost as coke-y in the 80s as Lauren Tewes.

by Anonymousreply 27August 28, 2021 9:19 PM

R44 that’s fucking hilarious! 😝

by Anonymousreply 28August 28, 2021 9:36 PM

You better make it good, r44.

by Anonymousreply 29August 28, 2021 9:38 PM

R13, that is real? Omg! I have never in my life seen such over the top acting being passed off as reality! 😝 The into by Cindy Adams comes off like an excerpt from a John Water’s flick! It’s comedy gold if you ask me. Thx for posting!!

by Anonymousreply 30August 28, 2021 9:41 PM

Joey is bustin' her butt for the crowd and that rude thirsty shit, Jerry Lewis, is mugging to draw away attention.

by Anonymousreply 31August 28, 2021 9:49 PM

Lmao r31! I ❤️ this thread!

by Anonymousreply 32August 28, 2021 9:51 PM

Joey and Jane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 28, 2021 9:53 PM

That clip of Judy's second best daughter and Greg Brady is so incredibly cringe I cant believe it.

by Anonymousreply 34August 28, 2021 10:10 PM

She looks like hell next to Jane. R3 captures it--unlike Liza, she had her show business pedigree was a bit weaker--her father seemed to be some sort of Broadway has-been turned local tv kid show host.

I think the high point of her career was doing Serta mattress commercials. This is one of the more exaggerated ones. Susan Anton replaced her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 28, 2021 10:12 PM

She sounds pretty together here. Nice radio voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 28, 2021 10:16 PM

Rentzel played football.

by Anonymousreply 37August 28, 2021 10:25 PM

R13. OMG. That face. Speed freak. Black Beauties were de rigueur in Hollywood at that time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 28, 2021 10:40 PM

I knew hr when sh lived in my building - 999 Doheny Dr. She was always out of it whenever I saw her in the building. She looked so old, I don't think the sex kitten thing worked for her after she hit her mid 30's. She missed her window of opportunity, she was almost rat pack era.

by Anonymousreply 39August 28, 2021 11:03 PM

She clearly developed an ED by the mid 1980s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 28, 2021 11:06 PM

Seriously, how can someone go from so beautiful to that picture in that fucking red dress? Its gotta be drugs.. Like hardcore drugs

by Anonymousreply 41August 28, 2021 11:59 PM

[quote]I think the high point of her career was doing Serta mattress commercials.

Joey was a tv regular in the 1960s-70s, first with her semi-regular appearances on "The Perry Como Show," then "The Dean Martin Show," and all those guest appearances on "The Tonight Show," "Ed Sullivan Show," "Andy Williams Show," "The Hollywood Palace," etc. She was a household name at the time, so it's a shame if those Serta commercials are what she's best known for.

I think starting out young in show business and doing that whole sex kitten act exposed her to a lot of creeps in the business and did a lot of damage to her mental state.

by Anonymousreply 42August 29, 2021 4:22 PM

I expect her husband's pedo exploits did a number on her.

by Anonymousreply 43August 29, 2021 4:27 PM

I honestly don't see anything wrong with the MDA Telethon performance, OP. Anyone who's ever seen Joey perform knows what to expect. The same for that Serta commercial at R35. Was she on coke, etc? Probably, but so was Liza. I always like Joey's sassy hair that moved with her when she danced.

by Anonymousreply 44August 31, 2021 3:42 PM

I always got Joey Heatherton and Connie Stevens confused.

by Anonymousreply 45August 31, 2021 4:00 PM

Connie had squintier eyes and a beautiful speaking voice.

by Anonymousreply 46August 31, 2021 4:05 PM

Connie also wore terrible frosted lipstick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 31, 2021 4:17 PM

Joey, or Davenie Johanna (her birth name), was lucky she made it out of the 1980s alive. Dr Feel Good was probably in her Rolodex as he was in everyone else’s.

She always looked like she was going to injure herself during her TV appearances.

by Anonymousreply 48August 31, 2021 5:40 PM

Related:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 7, 2021 9:57 AM

She was such a nice kid... till someone put her name in lights and turned her into a lush.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 7, 2021 10:17 AM

Joey had a lot of personality in her dancing. Can't say that about some other blonde sexpots of her era. She was a good dancer and took stripper and football cheerleading vibes into it with aplomb. She was sexy but not vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 51September 7, 2021 10:57 AM

She was more talented than Ann-Margret who had no natural sense of rhythm.

Liza was really the very last performer of that school. Even a year later and I don't think she would've made it and we'd be talking about her like we do Lorna.

by Anonymousreply 52September 7, 2021 11:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!