Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WTF is Kevin Costner doing in a series like Yellowstone? The series abounds in rightwingy guns and violence.

Supposedly Cindy, Kevin's hundredth wife, bought him a rifle for his last birthday to add to his heirloom collection. I know KC is not of great interest on DL, but I just learned today (there's a marathon of series episodes on television that I ran across while recovering from making and eating lunch) that this series is extremely popular. It seems really weird, with all the bad guys being liberal types and only the Duttons (a family that murders if need be) are "good people."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 4, 2022 10:09 PM

I'm watching the marathon. I didn't recognize him. Maybe the weight gain was for the role. I like the show.

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2021 12:50 AM

I'm finding it hard to look away, R1. It has that soap-opery pull that made me watch Dallas. The house is gorgeous. And since I grew up in a similar area, the cowboy types are familiar to me, only a bit better dressed. Who could miss recognizing Kevin, even fat?

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2021 12:55 AM

[quote]Supposedly Cindy, Kevin's hundredth wife, bought him a rifle for his last birthday to add to his heirloom collection.

It's Christine, OP, and believe it or not, she's only his second wife.

Costner's a liberal (if a moderate one); he endorsed Mayor Pete in 2019.

He posted this message ("just thinking out loud") on Instagram last year, and though it's ostensibly about COVID, I feel it's a little bit about the Dump regime and its deplorable followers, like he's telling us to hang in there and it'll all end soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2021 1:15 AM

I'll check it out, R3. I read up on this quite a bit before I posted. I find Costner's public statements sparse and ambiguous. The series is really a huge pile--read the article. The Indians are out of line for wanting to BUY back their ancestral land? The Duttons can't take their billions and go be happy somewhere else? I would. Cows and horses smell and Montana is a mosquito-ridden, humid, freezing/boiling dump.

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2021 1:18 AM

You found out about the YELLOWSTONE marathon from our multiple holiday viewing threads today, Copycat Thread Thief OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2021 1:22 AM

Actually, I didn't, R5.

I checked out the threads and didn't think they covered what I was interested in posting. What does it matter to you, Thread Monitoring R5?

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2021 1:29 AM

Kevin Costner used to be a well-known Republican.

He may have modified his views now but that's where he comes from.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2021 1:31 AM

[quote]I'll check it out, [R3]. I read up on this quite a bit before I posted. I find Costner's public statements sparse and ambiguous.

That's just him playing it safe; he's always been mindful of his "hero" image (for the most part, anyway). But I think the IG post was more "I gotta say *something*".

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2021 1:33 AM

Don't get me wrong--I love Costner. Any movie with him in it is worth a look for me. I loved Bull Durham (I know, I know, Susan Sarandon!) and even sat through the latest one, with Diane Lane, which was not so good.

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2021 1:53 AM

[quote] I know, I know,

Don't overestimate the impact of your own post. It's presumptuous and no one really gives a shit about Susan Sarandon at this point.

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2021 2:27 AM

Wow, R10, are you always so fun to be around? You're the presumptious one, and humorless to boot.

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2021 3:48 AM

R10, I looked up your past posts.

You are a grump.

by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2021 3:55 AM

Republicans aren't all bad. The majority of them don't have any issue with us anymore. Many of their other policies are sensible. Give it time.

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2021 3:59 AM

Costner endorsed Pete Buttigieg in 2020 and campaigned for him in some states.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 5, 2021 4:02 AM

Yellowstone is amazing and Beth Dutton should be a DL icon.

by Anonymousreply 15July 5, 2021 4:07 AM

R13, on what planet??? The fundies want LGBT people back in the closet. The thugs don't like fairies OR women, for that matter. All must worship the almighty white, straight male or go live in North Korea! If you're talking about Mitt Romney Republicans, they might be cool with us if they can make some money from or with us, I'll give you that.

by Anonymousreply 16July 5, 2021 4:56 AM

Love Kevin, so long and sexy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2021 5:01 AM

On planet Earth of course. I don't know what hyperbole you've bought into, but polls and studies for years have shown that more than 50% of people who identify as Republicans don't care anymore, and it grows slightly every year.

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2021 6:08 AM

R17, And he has a gorgeous cock.

by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2021 6:15 AM

That's good news. Citation?

by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2021 6:16 AM

[quote] Republicans aren't all bad. The majority of them don't have any issue with us anymore. Many of their other policies are sensible.

Sadly, this is nonsense. The party is still completely in the clutches of Trump. The earlier reply asking you what planet you’re from was apropos — even casual reading of the news would make it crystal clear the party has gone completely off the deep end.

by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2021 6:22 AM

Did Mayor Pete secretly masturbate thinking about Costner endorsing Pete's bedroom skills, while Chaste Chasten was preparing dinner in the kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 22July 5, 2021 6:55 AM

I think it's cool that Costner endorsed Pete. I thought, for sure, he would be a hardcore Republican in his older years but nice to see he has become more moderate.

by Anonymousreply 23July 5, 2021 7:01 AM

R20, approval of gays by the majority of Republicans has been a thing since the mid-2000s, with a slim majority of Republicans now even supporting gay marriage. People really need to stop reading NY Times, CNN, and WaPo and considering it news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 6, 2021 1:10 AM

And "read" Yahoo instead? No, thanks. I read Reuters, Politico, Propublica and AP.

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2021 1:13 AM

You could just pay attention to the content of the survey and move on, or you can stay in a bias bubble. Your choice.

by Anonymousreply 26July 6, 2021 5:06 AM

Costner's weight gain makes him look a bit like Trump in OP's photo.

by Anonymousreply 27July 6, 2021 5:53 AM

Can we get back to what shite Yellowstone is, hence my question?

by Anonymousreply 28July 6, 2021 6:36 AM

R23 either that or he’s acknowledged that the party has moved more and more right with each election cycle. My father and a number of people in my family voted mostly Republican in the 80s and most of the 90s, but at a certain point couldn’t justify it anymore.

But yes given that celebrity politics get nuttier as they get older it’s a somewhat pleasant surprise.

by Anonymousreply 29July 6, 2021 7:29 AM

I think it's a god awful show. Tried to make it through one episode and couldn't....offensive and just plain stupid on so many levels.

by Anonymousreply 30July 6, 2021 7:33 AM

WTF is Kevin Costner doing in a series like Yellowstone? Making a lot of money:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 9, 2021 12:49 PM

The "bad" guys aren't liberals. The bad guys are the ones wanting to take over the ranch, pave it over and build houses, hotels and mini-malls. Also, the family is land rich, not cash rich.

by Anonymousreply 32November 9, 2021 2:03 PM

R15 has it right- Beth Dutton is a laugh riot! Honestly- the show is like any other soapy romp- it’s mindless entertainment (but seriously this Beth character cracks me up- amazing lines for her and she chomps scenery)

by Anonymousreply 33November 20, 2021 8:44 AM

You know you're dealing with a moron when they make up a word instead of using an adjective. OP is stupid-y

by Anonymousreply 34November 20, 2021 10:26 AM

I watched it recently. The rural area is beautiful. very scenic.

Yes, I agree with the above poster, Kevin was pretty hot in that all white uniform in No Way Out.

by Anonymousreply 35December 27, 2021 10:38 AM

I actually enjoy Costner as a screen presence a lot. If his voice was one octave deeper he’d be taken a lot more seriously.

His I-Am-The-Modern-American-Cowboy schtick is hilarious considering he is literally from COMPTON. Ditto his contemporary Jeff Bridges from Bel-Air and their younger cohort Josh Brolin of Malibu.

by Anonymousreply 36December 27, 2021 10:48 AM

I caught myself stuck in the marathon and now I can't get out of it. It is ridiculous and makes DOOL look like serious cinema. I've binged the first three seasons in a couple of days.

by Anonymousreply 37January 3, 2022 10:19 PM

R7 I’ve voted republican before (George W. Bush). I am not republican or democrat. I’m an independent voter like many others.

by Anonymousreply 38January 3, 2022 10:37 PM

The series isn’t new and has been popular for some time.

by Anonymousreply 39January 3, 2022 10:40 PM

The series is great entertainment. Costner has become an icon. He couldn’t get this kind of traction in the big screen, he needs TV. The daughter is a monster and fascinating to watch. The actors who play the sons are negligible and I used to be a Wes Bentley fan but I’m glad he’s getting a paycheck. The push and pull between development and rich white man conservation is compelling. I also adore cowboys and that sexy western culture. I wish there was a hot gay cowboy in the cast. Oh, well.

by Anonymousreply 40January 3, 2022 10:49 PM

The hottest son died in the second episode but there is still plenty of eye candy to be had here. I love Cole Hauser in this.

by Anonymousreply 41January 3, 2022 11:09 PM

R41 Cole Hauser is the reason I watch.

by Anonymousreply 42January 3, 2022 11:46 PM

[Quote] Costner's a liberal (if a moderate one); he endorsed Mayor Pete in 2019.

NOW I know why I've always liked him.

by Anonymousreply 43January 4, 2022 2:25 AM

Kevin Costner is has won an oscar! For Dances with wolves! I think maybe more than 1, can't remember...

by Anonymousreply 44January 4, 2022 3:55 AM

Liberals like OP are insufferable. It’s a frigging tv show. Get the fuck over it.

by Anonymousreply 45January 4, 2022 3:57 AM

What is Yellowstone about?

by Anonymousreply 46January 4, 2022 4:00 AM

Geysers, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 47January 4, 2022 4:04 AM

The show is very popular among red state conservative types, who watch it for the soapy nonsense and manly reticence and hokey, myth-of-the-noble-cowboy bullshit, but it’s underlying message is very stealthily liberal. I’m sure it goes right over the heads of most of the dumb Republicans who watch it because delivered in this form they don’t even realize it’s ultimately pro stuff that they’re supposed to hate and rage against. But it’s pretty damn entertaining television and it’s beautifully shot. And Beth is completely ridiculous and hilariously over the top at all times.

by Anonymousreply 48January 4, 2022 5:11 AM

Kevin Costner is neat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49January 4, 2022 6:32 AM

It was written by Taylor Sheridan, the actor from Sons Of Anarchy and writer being Hell And High Water and Wind River.

by Anonymousreply 50January 4, 2022 6:45 AM

there are some cute cowboys in this, they look good in their outfits and the scenery is just beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 51January 4, 2022 10:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!