Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Singer Jim Morrison died 50 years ago today.

At only age 27, Jim Morrison died in Paris, France on July 3, 1971 from heart failure. He was the lead singer of The Doors and will always be remembered for their iconic hit "Light My Fire." Ironically, on the day that he died The Doors last hit single was released "Riders On The Storm."

Any thoughts on Jim Morrison and The Doors?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 13, 2021 8:22 PM

I always associate "Riders on the Storm" with my high school.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2021 5:34 PM

Overrated. The Doors arent anything special and Morrison was a bloated asshole

by Anonymousreply 2July 4, 2021 1:01 AM

Love them madly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 4, 2021 1:10 AM

He was very fuckable.

by Anonymousreply 4July 4, 2021 1:12 AM

The Doors were very cool. But definitely style over substance. I liked the organs they used courtesy of Ray Manzareck. Also, Robby Krieger wrote all of their hits and deserves just as much attention. Morrison was just the frontman. He was all charisma and sex appeal but no musical talent. Also, he was an abusive asshole to his bandmates and they had to carry the weight when he showed up drunk or bailed on their shows. Jim's drug/fuck buddy Pam accidentally killed him by leaving her heroin out and he was drunk and mistook it for cocaine and OD'ed.

by Anonymousreply 5July 4, 2021 1:13 AM

Jim Morrison did not die because his "heart stopped", as per the coroner's report. According to Marianne Faithful, her boyfriend at the time who was a heroin dealer, gave Jim Morrison drugs that he OD'ed on.

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2021 1:17 AM

Pam Courson, Jim's girlfriend was so high that she took his body and placed him into a tub, she was so distraught and waited a day to call the police. This was in France, that they didn't do a proper autopsy. They declared him dead from a heart attack and had his body cremated. I think the popular theory is Jim was drunk and mistook Pam's coke for heroin and snorted it (he hated needles) and that caused his overdose.

by Anonymousreply 7July 4, 2021 1:21 AM

Superstar. He just had it.

by Anonymousreply 8July 4, 2021 1:21 AM

Anyone else catch this bit of hilarity from the ridiculous CDAN site? It was especially insane today.

[quote]It all started decades ago when an A+ singer in an A+ band grew burnt out and tired of his life. He was doing drugs and drinking heavily and not healthy. He knew he needed a change but a very radical one. At the time, he was in a foreign country so he bribed a few people and his death was announced but this was fake. The singer in a phony identity adopted a gypsy lifestyle traveling around the USA. Not long after he befriended a well to do family in a midwestern state. This family had a problem. Despite the prominence and success of many members, one of the current generation was a n'er do well and one day under the pressure of succeeding he committed suicide. The patriarch of the family made a deal with the former singer. Having a loser son who committed suicide was not in the cards so even though the singer was a little older and a couple inches shorter, the patriarch asked him to assume the role of the son which he did. He and the son did have very similar facial features, slightly different accents but similar tones to their voices as well. After this, the singer in the role of the son got interested in a career the son was pursuing in. For a number of years he slogged in partial anonymity until he achieved A+ level success under his new identity. This was not a serious expression of who he was but an identity that hordes of people could relate to. His recent death may expose all of this. Look at the singer's face and who he became and listen to their voices - Granted it has deepened over age, Jim Morrison-The Doors/Rush Limbaugh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 4, 2021 1:29 AM

R9 I was just going to post that! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 10July 4, 2021 1:36 AM

R1 Same with me. I was detasslling corn for a summer job when I heard about his death. Out in the corn fields was also probably the first time I heard Riders On The Storm on the radios we had out there.

by Anonymousreply 11July 4, 2021 2:26 AM

The Doors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2021 2:31 AM

Light My Fire. #1 for three weeks and earned a gold record. One of the biggest hits of 1967.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2021 2:33 AM

Anybody who shows his dick onstage is ok with me.

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2021 2:35 AM

A friend in highschool told me that he liked The Unknown Soldier by The Doors so I went out and bought the single. A very unusual song. I played it tonight in memory of Jim and The Doors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2021 2:37 AM

Hahahahahahaha. Rush Limbaugh as Jim Morrison. Christ almighty even the most schizophrenic Q addled nutcase pumped full of LSD would believe that

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2021 2:39 AM

The Doors were invited to sing their big hit Light My Fire on The Ed Sullivan Show but were told to take out any reference to drugs such "Girl, we couldn't get much higher." Jim sang the song exactly as it was and Ed Sullivan was furious - he refused to shake Jim's hand on stage and banned them from the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2021 2:46 AM

i grew up with an older uncle who lived with us and he played all the bands of the day,so I was listening to the Doors when I was 6-7 . I developed a love for all the 60s rock bands. He had a poster of the Doors on his wall and I remember just sitting there staring at Jim Morrisons face. I wept like a bitch when they announced he was dead. Fast forward a few years I was working at a convenience store and this guy walks in and I swear to god he was the spitting image of Jim Morrison ! Same hair,same lips,same face. Long story short after much pursuit on my part i managed to get him over one night ,got him drunk and we had sex. The whole time I pretended he was Jim. Unfortunately,his penis was unremarkable as were his sex skills,but I still grooved looking at that face and body.

by Anonymousreply 18July 4, 2021 2:49 AM

This got him canned from the Ed Sullivan show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2021 2:50 AM

Grace Slick stated h in her memoir that her group and The Doors were touring together. One night she went into his room, determined to have sex with him - he was as high as a kite but she managed to get his clothes off him and do the deed. She said that he was nicely endowed but probably didn't even remember the event the next day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 4, 2021 2:57 AM

He died well before I was born, but I got into them in my teenage years and was fascinated with Jim. I read a Morrison biography and he had little, if any, redeeming qualities. He was a gorgeous guy, but a total asshole.

by Anonymousreply 21July 4, 2021 3:00 AM

A quote from Grace Slick:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2021 3:01 AM

So Grace raped Jim?

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2021 12:49 PM

"So Grace raped Jim? "

Lol, Grace had that "certain charm" with all the boys. All that quote said was that he was hot, hung and could keep it up when high

by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2021 1:06 PM

I recall reading that he was indeed an asshole a lot of the time, but in private could be very much the polite southern gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 25July 4, 2021 1:07 PM

Here’s Jim in a promotional video for Florida State University in the early 60s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2021 1:11 PM

I just want to take a moment and congratulate him. 50 years of sobriety is not an easy thing to accomplish. A true inspiration to us all!

by Anonymousreply 27July 4, 2021 1:14 PM

What would he get diagnosed with today. Bipolar? Schizotypal? Narcissistic personality disorder? He seemed a bit fucked up. Apparently his father was abusive to him and told him to his face that he had no talent.

by Anonymousreply 28July 4, 2021 1:14 PM

from what i have read, he was a quiet thoughtful charming guy WHEN SOBER, it was when he was not and/or high he became a asshole...

by Anonymousreply 29July 4, 2021 1:15 PM

I didn't care then and I really don't care now. The Doors music was sullen and dark and just never spoke to me. I wasn't loaded with teenage angst that was just as trendy then as it is now. Once a rock star decided to throw their life away on drugs, I lost interest. Wallowing in the chaos and drama of youth is not the thing that becomes a legend most

by Anonymousreply 30July 4, 2021 1:22 PM

Agree that he was fuckable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 4, 2021 2:02 PM

" died of heart failure...." Here I was thinking the heroin, pills, booze had something to do with it.....

by Anonymousreply 32July 4, 2021 2:13 PM

It did, r32. It did.

by Anonymousreply 33July 4, 2021 2:15 PM

"What would he get diagnosed with today. Bipolar? Schizotypal? Narcissistic personality disorder? "

GAS, General Asshole Syndrome

by Anonymousreply 34July 4, 2021 2:46 PM

I still groove on those leather pants. Bring it on.

by Anonymousreply 35July 4, 2021 3:18 PM

If he'd lived through that overdose, he'd have died of a different overdose.

by Anonymousreply 36July 4, 2021 3:31 PM

In 1968 when Jim was only 25, a doctor in a hospital (Jim had collapsed on stage and couldn't do the show) told his friends that his liver was in very bad shape from way too much alcohol. 3 years later he was dead.

by Anonymousreply 37July 4, 2021 9:25 PM

Jim Morrison's gravestone at the famous Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris, France.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 4, 2021 9:32 PM

R25 A friend stated that when they were in a restaurant and fans came up to Jim and talked to him, he was friendly, asked them where they were from, etc. and acted like a polite southern gentleman to them.

by Anonymousreply 39July 4, 2021 9:37 PM

@r38, Looks like they cleaned it up from what it used to look like...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 4, 2021 9:43 PM

R40, they did. They cleaned it up and roped it off some years ago.

by Anonymousreply 41July 4, 2021 9:45 PM

If Jim Morrison were alive today he would be 77 years old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 5, 2021 5:10 AM

One of the most handsome photos of him that I've ever seen!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 6, 2021 3:11 AM

R11, you made my hands ache just thinking back to when I detasseled corn one summer!

by Anonymousreply 44July 6, 2021 4:05 AM

Ha, I met Ray Manzarek once and jokingly asked him if Jim was still alive. He laughed and said, “No, he’s dead.”

by Anonymousreply 45July 6, 2021 4:16 AM

I dunno if it was all an act. Could’ve been but if it wasn’t, I’d venture a guess that he was a spectrum guy

by Anonymousreply 46July 6, 2021 4:18 AM

Sex on a stick. I used to jerk of to him. One time I jerked off and came just listening to his voice.

by Anonymousreply 47July 6, 2021 4:18 AM

The owner of a club in Paris that Jim and Pam frequented said he found Jim dead of a heroin overdose in the club toilet and, with Pam's help, got his corpse back to his apartment. The club owner didn't want Jim's death to ruin the club's rep and keep punters away.

by Anonymousreply 48July 6, 2021 4:29 AM

He was a sick psychopath, an egoistic narcissist, prone to cruelty and violent behavior.

by Anonymousreply 49July 6, 2021 6:13 AM

Great hair, though.

by Anonymousreply 50July 6, 2021 11:46 AM

Was he a bi?

Well, was he?

by Anonymousreply 51July 6, 2021 12:22 PM

He made love to many people, some in the dark and in the rain. It's possible a man slipped in; there's no way of knowing.

by Anonymousreply 52July 6, 2021 12:36 PM

The legendary Jim Morrison became known as The Lizard King. He wrote a poem about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 9, 2021 2:11 AM

His poem was called The Celebration Of The Lizard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 9, 2021 2:15 AM

R54 Poster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 9, 2021 2:18 AM

He had an obsession with lizards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 9, 2021 2:21 AM

A poet inside a rock star's body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 9, 2021 2:24 AM

A poseur....who looked good in leather pants and had a great pout.

by Anonymousreply 58July 9, 2021 4:59 AM

He was such a jerk to his bandmates. Yeah he was important to the band's image that they needed to sell but it was everyone else that was playing the instruments and writing songs (mostly Ray). Jim was mostly a poet (though how good is debatable) and could carry a tune but he really should have been more respectable to the band that was carrying the weight. He had a such a huge ego.

by Anonymousreply 59July 9, 2021 5:04 AM

Jim Morrison had a beautiful, sensuous baritone voice. It really stood out. Who knows what heights he would have reached with his singing, poetry and other talents if he had not died so young?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 10, 2021 3:45 PM

R60 I agree, people say he wasn’t a great singer but in the end (no pun intended) the more important thing is to be distinctive.

by Anonymousreply 61July 10, 2021 3:48 PM

He ruined his voice with all the drinking sadly. He wasn't the best singer but his voice fit the Southern Gothic vibe they were going for.

by Anonymousreply 62July 11, 2021 12:31 AM

"I agree, people say he wasn’t a great singer but in the end (no pun intended) the more important thing is to be distinctive."

This is very true of pop singers, and one reasons that people with little or no vocal training can make it big. I mean Tina Turner has little formal training, but there's when you hear her you know in an instant that it's Tina Turner, right? Of course right! And the thing is, formal vocal traininrgeg would have had a smoothing effect, actually making her voice less instantly recognizable.

Morrison's voice isn't quite that distinctive, but it's distinctive enough. Part of the reason is that he sang in a baritone range, at a time when most pop singers sang tenor or falsetto. Hell, they do that, where are the manly voices?

by Anonymousreply 63July 11, 2021 3:58 AM

I liked his voice and his young face.

by Anonymousreply 64July 11, 2021 4:14 AM

R46, Jim was not autistic .

by Anonymousreply 65July 11, 2021 4:35 AM

Booze really destroyed him .

by Anonymousreply 66July 11, 2021 4:35 AM

R64 Yes, and what a face! And a beautiful head of hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 11, 2021 4:43 AM

Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek were the reason The Doors were worth anything, musically. Morrison was a dunderheaded figurehead for boomer junkies who didn't appreciate hard work or talent.

by Anonymousreply 68July 11, 2021 4:43 AM

He was not handsome. I guess if you squint he had a sort of trailer trash Charles Manson kind of glamor, but he was not conventionally attractive in the least.

by Anonymousreply 69July 11, 2021 4:45 AM

I've read John Densmore's memoirs, called Riders in The Storm, about his time in The Doors. Great read. Anyway, Densmore doesn't hold back on how many times he wanted to quit the band because of Jim's antics but he admits he secretly admired Jim's confidence and charming nature. Jim and Robby fought all the time and it got quite nasty. Ray was the one who really kept the band together and always stayed cool under pressure. And that mostly was because Jim was Ray's friend from UCLA. The Doors was the brainchild of Ray (organist) and Robby (guitarist and songwriter) and they used Jim as their frontman because he had the looks and charisma that they needed to compete with other California bands at the time.

by Anonymousreply 70July 11, 2021 4:53 AM

R68 Without Jim Morrison, The Doors would have been nothing - and they were after he died. He had that something special and extra!

by Anonymousreply 71July 11, 2021 4:54 AM

R71 The Doors was a band and they needed each other. It was a group effort. Jim would have been nothing without Robby, John and Ray. I doubt he would have become a great poet or filmmaker.

by Anonymousreply 72July 11, 2021 4:56 AM

Jim was a literal genius. A true intellectual with a poetic mind .

by Anonymousreply 73July 11, 2021 4:57 AM

R73 His lyrics were southern California new age hippy bullshit. He had style and charisma but his lyrics were mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 74July 11, 2021 5:01 AM

I think Jim Morrison kind of represented post-WW2 American hyper-individuality and sexual freedom which also also resulted in a lot of depravity, greed and self-indulgence.

by Anonymousreply 75July 11, 2021 5:05 AM

Jim co-wrote a lot of the songs, actually. He even contributed a verse to “Light My Fire.” The music was often composed by Krieger and Manzarek, but Morrison was a powerhouse with lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 76July 11, 2021 5:09 AM

I recently read a very good biography of Morrison, and it talks in-depth about his tortured psyche. As an adult, he admitted to his lawyer, who was also a close friend, that he’d been molested by a man when he was a boy. He told his mother about it and she freaked out, called him a liar, and told him never to mention it again. One of his girlfriends, Linda Ashcroft, said that he told her his father had raped him during a disciplinary beating when Jim was in high school. Whether or not these things are true, something happened between him and his parents. He cut them off right after he reached the age of 21 (the legal age at the time) and never saw or spoke to them again.

Jim was very bright and well-read (an IQ of 149), but his relationships with both men and women were tortured. He was bisexual, having affairs with men from at least his late teens onwards, but he also was attracted to independent red-haired girls who resembled his first girlfriend. His long-time partner, Pamela Courson, complained that he only wanted anal sex and wasn’t attracted to her unless she stayed bone-thin and boyish. He often fucked very young groupies and fans who also had boyish bodies.

He was blackmailed on at least two occasions by male hustlers he fucked around with. He beat up Courson and many other women. He had an affair with poet Michael McClure. He gave Courson whatever she wanted and left her his entire fortune and his creative rights.

He loved jamming with his band in small clubs but hated being a rock star. He could be the consummate southern gentleman or a drunken abusive lout who pissed on carpets and fans. He wanted desperately to be a poet or a filmmaker: He had a degree in film from UCLA and published several volumes of poetry that have been praised as brilliant and innovative in the years after his death. He drank whiskey by the barrel, took fistfuls of pills, snorted heroin and cocaine until his heart gave out at 27. He was brilliant and beautiful (for a while) and deeply, deeply disturbed.

If I was making a diagnosis, I'd say he was a deeply closeted and conflicted gay man who tried his best to impersonate a pussy loving rock star. He was deeply damaged from this and from childhood abuse which led him to self-medicate himself to death with drugs and alcohol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 11, 2021 5:14 AM

Morrison doesn't strike me as one of these people who'd have been successful in a field other than rock. Mick Jagger or Paul McCartney, though? Yeah! Those guys would have been successful in any field they entered, they're bright, hard-working, ambitious, ruthless, canny, and *stable*. Yeah, definitely know how to have a good time and have tried everything, but the career always comes first with the sort of person who'd be successful in any field.

Morrison wasn't stable or career-focused enough to be like that, he was unhappy and conflicted and given to experimentation and self-medicating, and well. Rock music is about the only field where you can make it to the top with that many bad habits and unresolved internal conflicts, there's no way he'd have been able to make a career as a filmmaker, even in the late sixties.

by Anonymousreply 78July 11, 2021 5:27 AM

He'd just about destroyed his career as a rock star at the end, too: Even rock music in the 60s had its limits. The problem wasn't really his drinking and drugging, although that did slow his output as a lyricist, made him an uneven performer at best, and destroyed his looks. The real problem was Jim's endless need to challenge authority.

He enjoyed whipping concertgoers into a riotous frenzy, causing chaos and damage at the Doors' concerts. He was virulently anti-war and made disparaging and threatening comments against Nixon and the military, which got him a big fat FBI file. He used searing profanities onstage, rubbed himself erect with the microphone stand, and put his hand down his pants, actions which left him open to obscenity charges which law enforcement (egged on by the feds) were eager to charge him with. When he died, he was still fighting that obscenity charge from the notorious Miami concert, even though there is film and photographic evidence that he never exposed himself. His lawyer was told that once law enforcement had Morrison in prison, they planned to kill him or permanently incapacitate him.

He fled to Paris, but even without the threat of prison, he was already done with being a rock star. The Doors had fulfilled their original contract with Elektra, and Jim had told the rest of the band that he was done. He hated touring, hated the persecution from authorities, hated being bothered by fans. He just wanted to be left alone to work on his poetry and drink himself into a stupor in peace. He got about 6 months of peace in Paris before he died, and was reportedly happier there than he'd been in years.

He probably would have been happiest as the weird film professor at some small liberal arts college somewhere. He could have gotten fat, grown a beard, banged his undergraduate groupies, and written odd, brilliant little books and poems. Professors of that generation really didn't have to work that hard once they got tenure: Jim would have had a great time.

by Anonymousreply 79July 11, 2021 5:43 AM

I know a lot of people think they’re shitty 60s frat boy rock but I’ve always thought their music had a spooky quality to it which I love. He was very flawed but Him Morrisonnis still an interesting figure.

by Anonymousreply 80July 11, 2021 6:45 AM

I'm reading a book called "Morrison: A Feast Of Friends" by Frank Lisciandro in which he interviewed many people who knew and worked with Jim Morrison years ago. They all had positive things to say about him and told some great stories, especially he and a spiritual friends who did acid together and went on good trips. Jim Morrison was like a blazing comet that exploded and then left us too soon. He was one of a kind!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 12, 2021 2:28 AM

Well said and true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 12, 2021 2:33 AM

Yes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 12, 2021 2:35 AM

Jim Was genius

by Anonymousreply 84July 12, 2021 12:26 PM

To me they still sound very modern when compared to their contemporaries. A lot of experimental and psychedelic music from that era sounds extremely dated now. Music that was considered corny and MOR back then has aged much better.

by Anonymousreply 85July 12, 2021 12:35 PM

I would’ve ate his ass.

by Anonymousreply 86July 12, 2021 1:05 PM

Did he die for our sins?

by Anonymousreply 87July 12, 2021 1:06 PM

He died from heroin.

by Anonymousreply 88July 12, 2021 1:59 PM

Morrison died in France because he was avoiding been prosecuted for indecent exposure. He masturbated on stage when the Doors were performing in Florida....I believe Florida attempted to prosecute but he left the country to get out of jurisdiction .

by Anonymousreply 89July 12, 2021 2:27 PM

Morrison was railroaded. There is testimony from people who were right there watching Morrison, as well as photographic evidence, that he never masturbated or even exposed himself. He was railroaded by law enforcement who wanted to make an example of a rebellious rock star. He'd already been tried and acquitted of the felony charges before going to France, but he was (wrongly( convicted of a misdemeanor that could have put him in jail for 8 months.

Morrison and his lawyer feared what would happen to him in jail--Morrison had been threatened by cops during the trial and his lawyer had contacts who told them Morrison's life would be in danger if he went to prison--so Jim skipped town.

by Anonymousreply 90July 12, 2021 3:57 PM

the mouth, the hair, the eyes

Didion wrote that the pants were vinyl not leather.

by Anonymousreply 91July 12, 2021 4:11 PM

R89 Jim Morison and The Doors had fulfilled their contract with Electra Records so he wanted to leave and go over to France because he was sick of touring, singing, and the whole rock trip. He wanted to concentrate on his poetry, film-making, and other talents, and basically wanted to find himself all over again. He told the other members of the group that he might return in a year or so. His self-pilgrimage in France didn't last long. Just a few months later he died from heart failure at only age 27 possibly brought on by drugs and too much alcohol. Achieving the heights he did and dying so young made him an eternal legend.

by Anonymousreply 92July 13, 2021 2:34 AM

His dad was a famous admiral

by Anonymousreply 93July 13, 2021 2:45 AM

Apparently, one of the drag queens from Warhol’s scene (Holly Woodlawn I think) once took Morrison to a gay leather bar, because he was interested in including a gay character in a book he was writing.

by Anonymousreply 94July 13, 2021 7:42 PM

Right, because he was writing a BOOK.

by Anonymousreply 95July 13, 2021 7:50 PM

Riiiiiight.

by Anonymousreply 96July 13, 2021 8:06 PM

And your point is, op??

by Anonymousreply 97July 13, 2021 8:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!