Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Four Seasons

The movie, not Vivaldi or the hotel. Rewatched it on Netflix. The first was years ago on a rainy afternoon and I remember feeling sorry for the Sandy Dennis character, this time not so much. She was boring and photographed vegetables FFS.

What did you older guys think?

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2021 9:34 PM

I used to really like this when it showed again and again on HBO when I was about 11. Which is pretty strange now that I think of it.

It was the first time I heard the phrase "Are we having fun yet?"

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2021 5:24 PM

I got some four seasons for you right here - in northeast philly!

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2021 5:28 PM

God, Carol Burnett was especially bad in it, with Alan Alda a close second.

Burnett was so ashamed she publicly told the studio not to promote her for an Oscar as they were prepared to do.

It's a pretentious middle-age angst movie about boring and unlikable heteros.

For a good movie on that theme, see The Ice Storm.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2021 5:35 PM

A belated happy birthday to Frankie Valli!

May 3rd. 87 years old.

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2021 5:38 PM

Yummy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2021 5:39 PM

Wasn't there a handful of those types of movies around the early eighties R3? The Big Chill was a few years later too.

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2021 7:09 PM

I saw this in the theater as a gayling with my parents and thought it was the height of urbane sophistication, full of zesty quips and witty repartee.

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2021 10:34 PM

What goes up must come down!

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2021 11:25 PM

I certainly felt for the younger wife. I've been the younger partner in a group of old friends and it is no fun.

by Anonymousreply 9June 17, 2021 3:41 AM

It's definitely the most underrated movie of the 1980s. It's brilliant and the entire cast is sublime.

I can't decide which season from the movie is my favorite because they were all so compelling, but my least favorite would have to be Fall on the college campus.

by Anonymousreply 10June 17, 2021 3:45 AM

How soon you forget me OP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 17, 2021 3:56 AM

Summer on the boat was great. Claustrophobia and jealousy simmering. First film I've liked Carol Burnett in--I know, don't kill me.

by Anonymousreply 12June 17, 2021 4:22 AM

I always hated this movie.

by Anonymousreply 13June 17, 2021 4:24 AM

It was awful and not really in the same genre as "Big Chill" or the much better "Return of the Secaucus Seven" which were about a different generation. It's closer to in tone and sensibility to "Same Time, Next Year" which also stars Alan Alda at his most grating.

The Four Seasons was basically a tv movie with a big budget. Burnett wasn't horrible but she wasn't great, either---basically the non-wacky neighbor from a sitcom. Alda was very annoying and even though his character was meant to be that way, it was grating. The unsympathetic Len Cariou was better but Jack Weston was wasted--he was good at heavies and comic relief, but really doesn't have much to do here. Sandy Dennis played her usual twitch as an acting style role, but at least it was appropriate here.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2021 1:08 AM

There were no Afro-Latinex people in this film! Literal violence! Rita Moreno should be ashamed!

Okay. Not really. I enjoyed it when it first came out. Strong cast and some funny dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2021 1:36 AM

I get this mixed-up with "A Change Of Seasons" (1980), another mid-life crisis movie. The one where Bo Derek said after she started work on the movie, they decided she should do a topless shower scene. And she felt exploited and tricked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2021 1:41 AM

I remember Rex Reed giving it a rave review.

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2021 1:46 AM

WHET Bess Armstrong?

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2021 1:46 AM

Had she already agreed to the nude topless hottub scene (also part of R16's link)? I always got the impression that she was the dumbest of John Derek's wives.

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2021 1:48 AM

Carol should have been more ashamed of "Pete 'n' Tillie".

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2021 1:50 AM

^R3

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2021 1:50 AM

Favorite of mine as a teen and now when it was on cable a zillion times. The cast is great with wonderful chemistry. You really feel like they could be friends. I love the fact that all the actors have serious actor pedigrees from tv, film and Broadway. Dennis is especially a standout as the cheated on and tossed aside wife. I love me some Sandy. Fun fact - Rita watches it every New Years Eve.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2021 1:52 AM

I loved this movie. I keep picturing Jack Weston screaming "My Mercedes!".

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2021 1:55 AM

Written and directed by Alda, who also cast his homely daughters. It even had a short-lived (thankfully) tv spinoff.

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2021 1:59 AM

I thought the title said Four More Seasons.

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2021 2:00 AM

I agree, r16… I get this mixed up with A CHANGE OF SEASONS (1980)

And they’re both movies you kind of didn’t want to watch unless there was absolutely nothing else on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2021 2:08 AM

It was a hit: made $50 million on a $6.5 million budget. Hence the TV spinoff. It was a swamp of a sub-Neil Simon slop.

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2021 2:12 AM

Any love for Same Time, Next Year?

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2021 2:13 AM

Unwatchable because of Alda's hammy acting. It's also very stagey (it was a play, after all). Probably not bad as a play with a decent cast.

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2021 2:21 AM

It wasn't a play.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2021 2:24 AM

i just liked the premise because i am in a similar situation with someone.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2021 2:26 AM

I have to disagree with the OP, Sandy Dennis is heartbreaking in this and that one scene in the third Season, is a Master Class of Dennis Acting.

The second season on the boat with Bess Armstrong is really grating.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2021 2:27 AM

I love my friends, but none of them so much that I want to vacation with them four(!) times per year.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2021 7:26 AM

Saw it when it came out years ago and have no desire to rewatch.

Was bored with it at the time and have since acquired a low tolerance for Alan Alda.

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2021 7:42 AM

R30: Was referring to "Same Time, Last Year" which was a play, a sortof upmarket, thoughtful if obvious version of Neil Simon.

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2021 1:42 PM

Why did I alway think this was Neil Simon. DL fixes a poorly formed misconception!

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2021 2:05 PM

[quote]Was referring to "Same Time, Last Year" which was a play, a sortof upmarket, thoughtful if obvious version of Neil Simon.

Same Time, NEXT Year.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2021 9:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!