Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How the hell did Rosalind Russell lose the Oscar for Mourning becomes Electra?

To Loretta Young no less. This is on par with Judy Garland debacle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2021 7:40 PM

The movie was so worthy and noble and arty no one went to see it.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2021 4:53 PM

OP, have you actually seen the movie? It is a chore to sit through. Unlike The Farmer's Daughter, which is an absolute delight of a film.

by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2021 4:55 PM

Because I'm not one of her FAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2021 5:05 PM

The film has a great cast, serviceable direction and a script that adhere's quite well to O'Neill's play.

The last item is the problem with the movie. People want(ed) their prestige films to have some entertainment value, and didn't see the camp or have patience for what tragedy looks like when plopped (again) into New England.

Land's sakes. That's what the South is for!

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2021 5:07 PM

Loretta Young was the better cocksucker.

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2021 5:08 PM

Although she does a good job, Katina's the wrong choice to play the mother. The performances are excellent and as R4 says, the film is remarkably faithful to the play. But there's something static about it. Maybe the glacial pace.

In her autobiography Rosalind talks about asking the director (paraphrasing) "Why do you keep using the establishing shot of the wagon outside the house?" He said "Those are the first, second and third act curtains." She wrote "Maybe someone should have told that to the audiences."

She only did MBE because the director had done Sister Kenny with her previously and it was a project that meant a great deal to her.

by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2021 5:51 PM

R2 Well having Michael Redgrave in his otter stage made the movie so much easier to watch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2021 5:55 PM

I finally got around to watching MBE and it wasn’t as long and or boring as I thought maybe it would be. Roz was so sure she would win she was halfway out of her seat before Young’s name was read. Probably another split vote. Voters just didn’t warm to MBE and Russell, even though deserving, lost out. The other nominees, Crawford, McGuire and Hayward probably siphoned off votes RR needed to win.

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2021 6:11 PM

"Remarkably faithful to the play"? MOURNING BECOMES ELECTRA is a trilogy of plays. The PBS version from the late '70s took cuts and nonetheless required nearly 5 hours; the 1947 film runs 2 hours and 40 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2021 6:13 PM

Did Roz win any other Oscar nominations except for this and for "Auntie Mame"? She gives a fine dramatic performance in her really tricky role in "Night Must Fall," as the repressed paid companion to Dame May Whitty who is both attracted to Michael Redgrave but who also knows he's a killer.

She was one of those few Hollywood Golden Age actresses who was as good at drama as she was at comedy: Katharine Hepburn, Stanwyck, Dunne, and Margaret Sullavan were the others.

Bette Davis was as good or better as a dramatic actress than any of them, but she just wasn't good at comedy. Neither were De Havilland, Fontaine, Lupino, or Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2021 6:17 PM

In my opinion, it was a hammy performance and one of Roz's worst. She was so good in so many films and deserved it for Auntie Mame, as well as a bunch of others.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2021 6:21 PM

I was cheated out of an Oscar too. But I'm still young and have plenty of time. I'm thinking of playing Louise to Lady Gaga's Mama Rose in the new theatrical release of GYPSY!! Barbra Streisand is already casted as Mister Goldstein.

I'm learning to strip. This is not easy for a shy catholic girl, but we're determined to have a HIT!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2021 6:27 PM

R9, that's odd (not doubting you though). I'd read the play prior to seeing the movie and it seemed like they got everything from the play into the film.

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2021 6:34 PM

It was Robert Montgomery in Night Must Fall, not Michael Redgrave, R10.

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2021 6:35 PM

r10, Rosalind Russell was nominated four times as Best Actress:

My Sister Eileen (1942)

Sister Kenny (1946)

Mourning Becomes Electra (1947)

Auntie Mame (1958)

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2021 6:44 PM

Was she any good in Sister Kenny? There's no way Olivia deserved 2 Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2021 6:59 PM

She's fine, r16, but the Oscar should've gone to Celia Johnson in Brief Encounter.

by Anonymousreply 17June 15, 2021 7:01 PM

Oops forgot her R17 totally agree.

by Anonymousreply 18June 15, 2021 7:02 PM

She could have won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for "Picnic" where she tears up the screen. She declined to be nominated because she didn't want to settle for Supporting.

by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2021 7:12 PM

I liked Kirk Douglas but he's terrible in this (and in The Glass Menagerie, too) and it brings down the whole film. A little editing and replacing Kirk and the film would have been much better.

by Anonymousreply 20June 15, 2021 7:18 PM

I think her role in "Picnic" is so embarrassing that it's hard for almost any actress to pull if off, though I'm grateful she pulled off William Holden's shirt, even if the studio did make him shave his chest.

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2021 7:20 PM

Her next movie after MBE, THE VELVET TOUCH (48) is a hoot. She plays an Actress who kills! Not the people. But her luvvah.

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2021 7:33 PM

I think she's great in Picnic. Her desperation and hysteria as a late middle aged woman with no luck seeing her life going down the tubes is perfect. You would think just about everyone on DL would get it.

by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2021 7:43 PM

Well....to paraphrase a critic....watching Rosalind Russell in PICNIC is like seeing your mother drunk. You are embarrassed for her, but there's really nothing you can about it....

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2021 3:42 PM

She's a bit hammy in Picnic. The other women in supporting parts are so much better. If she'd made the character a little more sympathetic and chewed the scenery a little bit less, it would have been a much better performance.

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2021 3:50 PM

She should have won for His Girl Friday.

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2021 4:10 PM

R26 she wasn't even nominated that year. That year had some of the strongest female performances of classical Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2021 4:34 PM

Isn't Baby Jane comedic?

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2021 5:31 PM

Supposedly the competition between Young and Russell was extremely close, with Young winning by just a handful of votes. I'd go with Nancy Davis's comment at R5

And they should have taken the Oscar back for that atrocity of a dress Loretta wore - Scarlett's drapes on steroids!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2021 5:32 PM

This movie makes me nervous.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2021 2:46 AM

I liked her in "Night Must Fall" too, as well as many of her early comedies. I don't think her performance in "Mourning Becomes Electra" is one of her best; as others have said, something got lost in adapting the play for the screen and nothing really works. There's a TV adaptation form 1978 with Roberta Maxwell as Lavinia: has anyone seen it?

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2021 3:00 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2021 3:11 AM

She was a B level actress as far as talent. More like a B minus in hindsight.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2021 3:54 AM

R29, Young looks like The Bride of the Creature of the Black Lagoon in that dress.

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2021 6:18 AM

I book I used to have described it as a gown clearly not meant to walk up steps, inferring that even Loretta thought Russell was going to win. Right after winning she said to someone, "What am I going to tell Roz?".

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2021 6:25 PM

R35 When she got to the stage Young made presenter Fredric March show her the card with her name on it just to be sure. I think nearly everyone was convinced Roz would win. Loretta said after the ceremony when reporters asked her don’t say poor Roz she will go onto to win her own Oscar. She did an honorary one.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2021 6:35 PM

Gown without the jacket

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2021 7:09 PM

She looks like a toilet paper cosy.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2021 7:12 PM

Huh. Imagine that! I've listened to Mourning Becomes Electra every day on KCRW and not a peep about Rosiland Russell.

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2021 7:14 PM

Oh dear, r39.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2021 9:00 PM

I saw the 1978 PBS version with Maxwell, Joan Hackett as Catherine, Bruce Davison as Orin and Peter Weller as Capt. Niles. It was very good and much better than the 1947 film. It's also about 5 hours long as opposed to 2 1/2 like the film.

For one thing the actors in the PBS version seem more like a credible family as opposed to the combo of Russell, Redgrave, Massey, and especially Paxinou (who is really out of place). Second, you can believe Hackett and Weller as lovers, which is impossible with Paxinou and Leo Genn. Third, it's just better acted in general (especially Hackett) - Russell seems like she's trying to be a "great lady actress" in her performance. Maxwell really gets the crazy manipulative nature of Lavinia.

It's interesting that the play rarely gets revived. Helen Mirren and Eve Best did a production in London that was supposed to be terrific but never made it to the U.S. The only NYC production in recent years I can recall is a disastrous one done off-Broadway, with a miscast Lili Taylor as Catherine and an amateurish Jenna Malone as Lavinia, directed by the talent-free Scott Elliott. I walked out of it as it was just awful.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2021 10:34 PM

There was the 1971 production. See r32...

by Anonymousreply 42June 20, 2021 12:03 AM

In the early '00s, there was a production that played Seattle and New Haven, starring Jane Alexander and a then-unknown Mireille Enos. I saw it in Connecticut and was underwhelmed (and I know the original plays very well). I had a ticket to see the Lili Taylor/Jenna Malone one that R31 mentioned, but dismal reviews resulted in its folding even before its "limited" run was scheduled to do so.

by Anonymousreply 43June 20, 2021 12:34 AM

This is a play that could use Jessica Lange and Lily Rabe.

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2021 7:31 PM

In the original Broadway production, Lavinia was Alice Brady and Christine was Alla Nazimova. Would love to have seen them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2021 7:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!