Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kamala Harris Becomes First Sitting Vice President to March in a Pride Event

Vice President Kamala Harris has made history once again, becoming the first sitting Vice President to march in a Pride event.

Harris participated in a march with Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff on Saturday during Capital Pride in Washington, D.C. She wore a "love is love" t-shirt as she walked with other Pride-goers to a rally at Freedom Plaza, telling them, "Happy Pride!"

She spoke briefly at the event, advocating for the passage of the Equality Act while expressing her and President Joe Biden's commitment to advancing LGBTQ rights. "We need to make sure that our transgender community and our youth are all protected. We need, still, protections around employment and housing," Harris said, according to NBC Washington. "There is so much more work to do, and I know we are committed."

The Vice President also observed the fifth anniversary of the Pulse Nightclub shooting on Twitter, paying tribute to the 49 people who were killed at the Orlando gay club on June 12, 2016.

"Five years ago, 49 LGBTQ+ people and allies were enjoying an evening out at Pulse Nightclub," she wrote. "And then, in an instant, they were gone. Today, we remember those who died and their loved ones-and we recommit to building a world free from gun violence."

Harris' post came as President Biden issued his own statement announcing that he'll sign a piece of legislation to name the nightclub a national memorial, which recently passed the House and Senate. He also advocated for stricter gun control and the passage of the Equality Act, acknowledging that the LGBTQ community is disproportionately impacted by gun violence, particularly transgender women of color.

"In the memory of all of those lost at the Pulse nightclub five years ago, let us continue the work to be a nation at our best-one that recognizes and protects the dignity and safety of every American," Biden said in his statement.

The Biden/Harris administration has made LGBTQ issues one of their priorities, restoring transgender healthcare protections and removing Donald Trump's ban on transgender military members. One of Biden's first executive orders was calling for an end to discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation.

"Children should be able to learn without worrying about whether they will be denied access to the restroom, the locker room, or school sports," the order read. "Adults should be able to earn a living and pursue a vocation knowing that they will not be fired, demoted, or mistreated because of whom they go home to or because how they dress does not conform to sex-based stereotypes. People should be able to access healthcare and secure a roof over their heads without being subjected to sex discrimination."

This year's Pride Month comes during an uncertain time for the LGBTQ community. As of March, there were 192 anti-LGBTQ bills under consideration in state legislatures across the country, according to HRC. Of those, a record 93 directly target transgender people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 1, 2022 4:24 AM

They're a cute couple. Love them!

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2021 4:51 AM

I always wanted to march but Mother wouldn’t let me.

by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2021 4:55 AM

Good for her. It's strange to think that 60 years ago she and her husband couldn't even marry in some states.

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2021 4:58 AM

FUCK OFF!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4June 13, 2021 5:02 AM

I wonder why Biden never marched in the Pride Parade, when he was VP?

He had 8 years to do it, especially the year that gay marriage became legal.

by Anonymousreply 5June 13, 2021 5:03 AM

It's nice having a veep who doesn't think homosexuality can be cured through prayer

by Anonymousreply 6June 13, 2021 5:15 AM

It’s great to have a VP do this now, when it’s no longer controversial and takes no courage whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 7June 13, 2021 5:20 AM

[quote] It’s great to have a VP do this now, when it’s no longer controversial and takes no courage whatsoever.

Except that she's been doing it since her days as Attorney General in California, you miserable CUNT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 13, 2021 5:32 AM

Here's the photo from her AG days. R8 didn't work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2021 5:34 AM

Now only if Democrats stop letting homophobic people into their party in the name of diversity who go unnamed.

by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2021 5:42 AM

I came out in 1972. I was an “activist.” I am happy how far we have come in LGB equal rights. I am rather disappointed that our movement seems to have been usurped by trans, non-binary, whatever self identifying, needy identities they choose to embrace. I totally believe these folks have the right to advocate, embrace, and identify with any gender (or non-gender) they choose. But I don’t see that that the goals they seem to want to achieve have anything at all to do with basic lesbian/gay issues.

by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2021 5:50 AM

She was probably on her way to a Black Lives Matter protest and got lost. You know her kind are prone to get lost and she’s a woman too. Honestly, she is really just a big distraction and doesn’t know her place. I suspect she will also be a disappointment to her race, gender, and prostitutes everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2021 5:56 AM

[quote]…they will not be fired, demoted, or mistreated because of whom they go home to or because how they dress does not conform to sex-based stereotypes.

You better tell that to the trans militants because they reinforce sex-based stereotypes harder than anyone. Leave the fem gaylings and butch tomboys alone.

by Anonymousreply 13June 13, 2021 6:03 AM

Well, I'm not trans or youth, so I guess I'm all set. Nice to know.

by Anonymousreply 14June 13, 2021 6:08 AM

[quote]She spoke briefly at the event, advocating for the passage of the Equality Act while expressing her and President Joe Biden's commitment to advancing LGBTQ rights. "We need to make sure that our transgender community and our youth are all protected.

AGAIN with these straight politicians who know nothing!

Will SOMEONE please tell our straight allies that "Pride" means "Gay Pride" and was founded for and by GAY men and LESBIAN women with a tiny add-on (for guilt reasons) of "Trans" people! It is NOT "Trans Women of Color Pride Month", something that is killing the whole idea, and really starting to bug the shit out of the ones historically paying the bills in the community, gay men! Go down to the LGBT Center in Manhattan and look at all the founders and supporters who created the building. It's almost 100% gay men.

Can we try putting the Gay back in Gay Pride and give this Trans shit a rest?

by Anonymousreply 15June 13, 2021 6:36 AM

I'm glad she didn't go to that nasty border situation. What was she going ro do- hand out masks and smile? It's got to be a Covid hi-viral load locale right now. We don't need her getting sick.

by Anonymousreply 16June 13, 2021 6:37 AM

Hillary Clinton attended the NYC Gay Pride Parade since 2000, or maybe earlier.

by Anonymousreply 17June 13, 2021 6:39 AM

[quote] It’s great to have a VP do this now, when it’s no longer controversial and takes no courage whatsoever.

How DARE she not go back in time and do it as VP when it was risky!

by Anonymousreply 18June 13, 2021 6:51 AM

This is pretty momentous. so proud she is our VP!

by Anonymousreply 19June 13, 2021 11:47 AM

Queen

by Anonymousreply 20June 13, 2021 11:59 AM

Doug looks hot in that pic. Scruffy daddy.

by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2021 12:03 PM

LOL at the tall skinny Secret Service guy in his "gay" shirt over his regular undershirt (behind the Veep, in shades).

by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2021 12:23 PM

MSo happy to have two HUGE supporters with long track records of supporting LGBT in the White House

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2021 12:35 PM

Guess there was no pride event on the Mexican border

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2021 12:35 PM

Had to get her woke points from somewhere after her disastrous South America trip where she didn’t visit the border. Again.

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2021 12:43 PM

The “visit the border now” bullshit is a Republican talking point to tear her down.

Who gives a shit if she visits the border? She’s got thousand of feds at the border who are handling things well. In fact, when was the last time you heard about the border??!

by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2021 1:28 PM

I’m glad she’s not jumping on ever fire the GOP is trying to start

by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2021 1:29 PM

[quote]It’s great to have a VP do this now, when it’s no longer controversial and takes no courage whatsoever.

Then what stopped Mike Pence two years ago?

In fact, what's stopping him now?

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2021 1:31 PM

Now, if only Muriel banned Matt Anscher's AKA howardsternspen_15 AKA R10 from here.

by Anonymousreply 29June 13, 2021 1:35 PM

[Quote] It’s great to have a VP do this now, when it’s no longer controversial and takes no courage whatsoever.

When will the Republican VPs have the courage?

by Anonymousreply 30June 13, 2021 1:37 PM

How can she march if she's sitting?

by Anonymousreply 31June 13, 2021 2:43 PM

When is she gonna march on over to that border?

by Anonymousreply 32June 13, 2021 2:56 PM

But I've never been to Me...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 13, 2021 4:08 PM

It’s nice that she marched. It’s very normalizing for our community. I used to be in a lgbt marching band and It warmed my heart to see the str8 couples often with their kids being supportive. When the hate mongering (Boris) right wingers would be there with their signs and megaphones they seemed so miserable and out of place and bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 34June 13, 2021 4:23 PM

"Kamala Harrish becomesh firsht shitting Vishe Preshident...."

by Anonymousreply 35June 13, 2021 4:26 PM

PR stunt/damage control after her terrible week. If she can’t handle obvious questions six months into her role as VP, how the hell is she gonna stand up to Russia and China as president?

by Anonymousreply 36June 13, 2021 4:41 PM

[quote]I wonder why Biden never marched in the Pride Parade, when he was VP?

Biden was the one who pushed Saint Obama to "evolve" and be open to marriage equality, so I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 37June 13, 2021 4:43 PM

Kamala Harris has always supported and fought for us. She’s the most pro-gay person ever in this office. She fought hard against Prop 8 and refused to defend it in court. She started a hate crime unit in San Francisco specifically to combat hate against LGBTQ people. She has fought hard to ban the gay panic defense, which led to California being the first state to ban it, and she became a national leader against it as well. Etc, etc, etc.

The fact that she’s being attacked on this forum is alarming.

by Anonymousreply 38June 13, 2021 5:40 PM

R37: Obama hates the gays.

by Anonymousreply 39June 13, 2021 6:09 PM

[quote] Kamala Harris has always supported and fought for us. She’s the most pro-gay person ever in this office. She fought hard against Prop 8 and refused to defend it in court. She started a hate crime unit in San Francisco specifically to combat hate against LGBTQ people. She has fought hard to ban the gay panic defense, which led to California being the first state to ban it, and she became a national leader against it as well. Etc, etc, etc.

EXACTLY!!!

But the Klan Grannies don't care.

They only see color, and then.... ATTACK!

by Anonymousreply 40June 13, 2021 6:49 PM

Is this Klan Grannies thing only one idiot or has he gotten some idiot followers? He's all over DL now. I wish we had smarter trolls. It's probably the same moron nonsensically telling liberals to go back to Parler. Mayb we should have a remedial troll training session or something.

by Anonymousreply 41June 13, 2021 7:10 PM

[quote] Biden was the one who pushed Saint Obama to "evolve" and be open to marriage equality, so I don't care

This needs to be repeated, lousy and often. Biden was out in front and I’ll never forget that.

by Anonymousreply 42June 13, 2021 7:14 PM

Thanks for pointing that out, r22.

I didn’t originally see the pic and now I find it hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 43June 13, 2021 9:23 PM

R37

Obama was never really against gay marriage. He was, for years, privately pro-gay marriage, I think he was just hesitant and afraid the country wasn’t ready and it would hurt him politically. Knowing how backwards so much of the country is, of course he had worries.

by Anonymousreply 44June 13, 2021 9:46 PM

r44 Did Obama tell that to you in private ?

Obama's comments on Pete prove that he thinks about gay people like any frat boy douche does.

by Anonymousreply 45June 13, 2021 9:49 PM

R42 too bad Biden's son is a big racist, saying the N word 15 times, on video

by Anonymousreply 46June 13, 2021 9:54 PM

[quote]Obama was never really against gay marriage. He was, for years, privately pro-gay marriage

Yeah, and Barbara and George HW Bush was really pro-choice in private (they were). I don't give a bloody shit what anyone "thinks" in private. I care what they say and do in PUBLIC.

by Anonymousreply 47June 13, 2021 11:18 PM

Second Gentleman leads the first ever High Holidays reception.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 1, 2022 3:04 AM

I can't tell you all how MUCH I love Kamala. She went to our kids' elementary school in Berkeley, CA (of course...)

by Anonymousreply 49October 1, 2022 3:19 AM

This is lovely, now that Pride is no longer about gays.

Pride in 2022: A tisket, a tasket, a tranny with a basket.

by Anonymousreply 50October 1, 2022 3:23 AM

I would be far more interested in Emhoff's remarks about his wife paying obeisance/gleefully holding hands with the Bigot Sharpton, who incited an anti-Jewish pogrom in which Jews were murdered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 1, 2022 4:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!