Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

David Naughton- why wasn't he a bigger star?

The iconic Dr. Pepper commercial; the sitcom; the hit song; that werewolf movie, then... what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2022 11:30 PM

I still love that song Makin' It

by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2021 4:01 AM

He was too nice. There was no hint of a bad boy waiting to come out in him.

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2021 4:04 AM

His eyes looked as witless as Silvester Stallone.

And his jaw was as outsized and shapeless as Margaret Rutherford's—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2021 4:09 AM

His name was too similar to this freaky performer--

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2021 4:41 AM

Probably because he was so damn ugly

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2021 4:50 AM

He didn't have "it."

by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2021 5:09 AM

Failure to parlay.

I always found him pretty appealing. Other people have become big stars with less.

Makin' It was a piece of shit. Nobody wanted to see a disco-themed sitcom or new Garry Marshall show in spring 1979. At the same time, the show gave him a hit song. But I don't think he even tried to follow it up with an album.

And American Werewolf in London got really good reviews, but he just showed up in B-grade schlock after that.

My Sister Sam was another good opportunity, and there's no evident reason why he couldn't have landed another sitcom sidekick gig. But he just didn't.

Maybe he's just lazy. Or an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2021 5:10 AM

Makin' It went to #5 in July 1979 (despite what this video says), which was super-late for a disco song to become a hit.

As a cultural gauge: "Bad Girls" and "Good Times" went to #1 that summer. But when "My Sharona" hit #1 in late August, disco was dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2021 5:19 AM

He had good hair even before he became a werewolf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2021 5:34 AM

I always enjoyed him. He's 70 which sounds crazy to me even though it shouldn't. He;s only 4 years younger than my parents.

by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2021 6:45 AM

To me, old people will always be people who grew up during the Depression then fought in WW2. Not people who grew up in the '60s then disco'd the night away. And it will never be me!

RE: David Naughton, Makin' It wasn't just a flop, it became a bit of a punchline. It was such a blatant ripoff, and no one was interested. What could the problem be, surely not the premise...it must be the lead actor! This is how people in Hollywood think.

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2021 7:14 AM

I think he was hot, and I loved him running around naked in the werewolf movie...

by Anonymousreply 12June 8, 2021 2:52 PM

the song only became a hit after it was used in the movie Meatballs.

by Anonymousreply 13June 8, 2021 8:07 PM

September 1979 birthday; that song was awesome!!!

by Anonymousreply 14June 8, 2021 8:53 PM

His brother, James Naughton, was very sexy. Especially in the Planet of the Apes tv series.

by Anonymousreply 15June 8, 2021 10:19 PM

There were some songs charting as late as 1983 that still had a bit of a70s disco beat. When people talk about disco being dead as early as 1979, I think they mean the culture.

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2022 12:49 PM

Denise Miller was a ham.

by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2022 12:51 PM

I listened to Makin it last week; I still remember Friday nights at the roller rink. Then it was a short walk to Dairy Queen. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 18June 13, 2022 10:55 PM

[quote] His brother, James Naughton, was very sexy. Especially in the Planet of the Apes tv series.

And Who's The Boss and The Devil Wears Prada.

by Anonymousreply 19June 13, 2022 10:59 PM

The Brothers Naughton were both very good looking.

by Anonymousreply 20June 13, 2022 11:01 PM

He still looked great in the early 90s episode of Seinfeld called "The Red Dot." He plays a coworker of Elaine's who she is dating. Turns out he's an alcoholic who falls off the wagon when Jerry mistakenly hands him a class of vodka at the office Christmas party.

Then George, who Elaine has gotten a job at Pendant publishing, beds down the female janitor in his cubicle.

by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2022 11:03 PM

Beating his wife probably didn't help his career trajectory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2022 11:08 PM

He was adorable back then. I even bought the 45 of "Makin' It" I loved it so much. Dumb song looking back, but at the time, to a 12 year old, it was pretty great. Just a dumb, fun summer song. I remember there was a TV show associated with it, and I'm sure I watched a few episodes, but I can't recall what it was about at all. I still thought he was hot in "My Sister Sam" about 10 years later. He always seemed like he would be the perfect boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2022 11:12 PM

I used to jerk off to his werewolf transformation.

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2022 11:15 PM

Male ingenue= nowhere to go

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2022 11:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!