Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Parent Trap

I grew up with the 1998 remake of this film. I honestly love both and will watch them whenever it is raining outside and I am being lazy. That said, why are the parents in both films such selfish assholes? To take your twin daughter and divide them like property?? Seems downright abusive, especially since they never even told their poor kids about each other’s existence. Do you ever think they will attempt a third reboot? Or do you think today’s culture will cancel the mom and dad for being self involved turds?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 6, 2021 12:10 PM

[quote] I honestly love both and will watch them whenever it is raining outside and I am being lazy.

Same. When the '98 version came out, I expected to hate it. How could they remake a perfect movie with Haley Mills? But I ended up liking the remake, too. Although the 1961 original is still better.

As far as the parents splitting the twins, it's just one of those movies where you have to accept the premise and not think about it too closely.

by Anonymousreply 1June 6, 2021 11:01 AM

Hollywood recycles everything, so yeah, eventually there will be another remake. But there is really no necessity, since the 1998 version is still a quite nice family movie.

by Anonymousreply 2June 6, 2021 11:06 AM

[quote]you have to accept the premise and not think about it too closely.

Much like sex with a female.

by Anonymousreply 3June 6, 2021 11:16 AM

R3 More like sex with a dude you pick up right before last call.

by Anonymousreply 4June 6, 2021 11:18 AM

Poor Lindsay, she was already bipolar!

by Anonymousreply 5June 6, 2021 11:23 AM

Hayley made a sequel.

I worked assistant props and my best friend's family got the kitten used in the film. Name it P.T. for "Parent Trap."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 6, 2021 11:23 AM

Given we have the 60's version and the 90's version which were both well received and made lots of money I have no doubt Disney will make another version.

by Anonymousreply 7June 6, 2021 11:26 AM

R6, OMG! I remember watching that on The Wonderful World Of Disney when I was really young! I also remember the sequels with the triplets.

by Anonymousreply 8June 6, 2021 11:26 AM

The plot makes no sense at all, but Dennis Quaid was a handsome daddy stud in the 1998 remake. And poor Natasha Richardson was so lovely and likeable.

by Anonymousreply 9June 6, 2021 11:42 AM

[quote] best friend's family got the kitten used in the film. Name it P.T. for "Parent Trap."

Do you mean WAS named PT? That "kitten" would be 35 years old today.

by Anonymousreply 10June 6, 2021 11:53 AM

^ He is. And really pissed that his residuals ran out in 2003.

by Anonymousreply 11June 6, 2021 11:59 AM

Gotta say R10, you're about as obnoxious as the little red headed bitch of a child actress in the film. My God, was she a terror. The other girl, Bridgette Andersen (Savannah Smiles) was the polar opposite and unfortunately died of a drug overdose at 21.

Should've been the red head.

by Anonymousreply 12June 6, 2021 12:08 PM

[quote] Do you mean WAS named PT? That "kitten" would be 35 years old today.

Reminds me of the Mariah Carey turkey aka "Glitter". Her character has a pet cat when she is a 5-year-old kid. The cat disappears for the rest of the film and miraculously appears again in the last scene when Mariah's character is around 30. That final scene is a camp howler. Mariah in high heels stumbling across a lawn to be reunited with her alcoholic mom and the cat which must be over 90 in cat years by that point.

by Anonymousreply 13June 6, 2021 12:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!